• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT2| Sting in 2015

miserable

KbjbKtq.png

thanks, but i was thinking about the one where he has this expression

EDIT: just saw Sunny's post, thanks !

Striker

The Attitude Era had no room for him. He would have needed to reinvent himself somehow. I don't know if he could have.
He was doing perfectly fine in 1997. The Undertaker of all people made it through unscathed, so I always felt most people could have. Taker didn't re-invent himself until years after the Attitude Era began.

Bret-Austin III would've happened. Bret-Jericho, Bret-Angle, Bret-Rock, Bret-Lesnar potentially. Probably a proper Taker feud as well, since there really never was one. Those types of matches would have been terrific and unlike some other guys, he would've put them over with no problem.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He was doing perfectly fine in 1997. The Undertaker of all people made it through unscathed, so I always felt most people could have. Taker didn't re-invent himself until years after the Attitude Era began.

Bret-Austin III would've happened. Bret-Jericho, Bret-Angle, Bret-Rock, Bret-Lesnar potentially. Those types of matches would have been terrific and unlike some other guys, he would've put them over with no problem.

I heard a lot in Wrestling with Shadows how Bret himself was saying there was no place for a guy like him. I just don't know if you can be a guy without a place for so long.

Undertaker became a psychotic devil worshipper who got mr McMahon to break kayfabe. Guy makes tweaks every few years. Purple glove was different, followed by prison teardrop taker, ministry, biker, then current.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Undertaker became a psychotic devil worshipper who got mr McMahon to break kayfabe. Guy makes tweaks every few years.

Yeah, a lot of people feel Taker is kind of the last "supernatural" character out there, but he consistently reinvents himself within arm's reach of his character every couple years. It's pretty impressive and underappreciated.

Yeah if The Undertaker of all people can survive the Attitude Era, Bret absolutely could.

Bret Hart, hero of Canada, was straddling the line between New Generation and Attitude Era. An Attitude Era Bret Hart would probably have been that pushed further.

HBK in WCW with Hall, Nash, and Hogan would have been hilarious. So many egos all in the same space would have been explosive.

that wrestling storyline thread has reminded me that wrestling story lines rarely stick the landing.

Lol wasn't bram fired from WWE for beating up a cop or something

Striker

I heard a lot in Wrestling with Shadows how Bret himself was saying there was no place for a guy like him. I just don't know if you can be a guy without a place for so long.
Would he have liked to stick around? Maybe not. I know Owen noted on one occasion he didn't at all and turned down a lot of raunchy ideas. Maybe Wrestling with Shadows mentioned it briefly, too.

Bandini

Isn't that the guy Charlotte is married to? That sucks, I hope she's ok... as ok as someone can be in that situation anyway.

Isn't that the guy Charlotte is married to? That sucks, I hope she's ok... as ok as someone can be in that situation anyway.

That is Charlotte's husband.

And he was released from WWE in 2012 because he was charged with battery of a law enforcement officer and disorderly intoxication.

Initially I wanted the HBK goes to WCW timeline real one, but he probably would be dead now if that happened, and also there's a chance with no HBK, Daniel Bryan never becomes a thing in WWE/goes back to flipping burgers or becomes a logger instead of wrestling at all.

No don't take the wonderful D-Bry at WM30 moment away! I've already lost WM20. :(

It's not Charlotte, they split up a few months back;

"Now confirmed that the arrest of Bram (Thomas Latimer) did not involve his wife (or now ex-wife) Charlotte (a/k/a Ashley Fliehr)."

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's not Charlotte, they split up a few months back;

"Now confirmed that the arrest of Bram (Thomas Latimer) did not involve his wife (or now ex-wife) Charlotte (a/k/a Ashley Fliehr)."

I won't say that's good, because SOMEONE suffered, but uh...

Aiii

So not worth it
One is dating a nazi, the other a drunk violent asshole.

They sure know how to pick 'em, gonna assume Charlotte is fine, hope Charlotte is fine. Fuck Bram.

-edit: Thank God Charlotte is fine.

Aiii

So not worth it
Well I woke up to find Zahra is STILL employed. So I expect Hulk Hogan to do a run-in tonight on Raw.

Still not the worst thing WWE has done this past week.

Which was
Charlotte telling us the Four Horsemen were the greatest faction ever in the WWE.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well I woke up to find Zahra is STILL employed. So I expect Hulk Hogan to do a run-in tonight on Raw.

Eh? Nothing's going to change with her, don't expect it to. This stuff was made public back when Seth's wiener showed up in places

It WWE the company that honors the guy who said this shit

He told a gay student to "take that object out of your mouth when speaking to me"

Warrior mocked a woman upset at his homophobic remarks and told her "Don't have an orgasm honey."

When an Iranian student asked the Warrior a question, Warrior told the student to "get a towel."

Warrior then played a video of himself ripping an Iraqi flag to pieces.

The Warrior speech was so out of line that the UConn Republicans issued a public apology stating, "We brought the Ultimate Warrior to campus because we wanted to host a thought-provoking discussion from an individual who would appeal to a broader range of students than normal, given his background. Sadly, the Warrior's presentation accomplished none of these goals and we were horrified like most of the UConn community by the display."

http://www.gayliberation.net/homophobia/2006/0403warrior.html

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bill DeMott's stuff was made public long before he ever got fired

Pretty much. The dragging of feet with DeMott reinforces the idea that WWE would rather wait for shit to go away.

WWE only ever does something when the mainstream media cottons onto it. They only pre-emptively did something about Hogan because they knew it'd be a huge story.

And yeah, the Warrior stuff kinda sickens me. In many ways he was an abhorrent human being.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
WWE only ever does something when the mainstream media cottons onto it. They only pre-emptively did something about Hogan because they knew it'd be a huge story.

And yeah, the Warrior stuff kinda sickens me. In many ways he was an abhorrent human being.

That being said, how shitty can a person be to get to the point of not only no redemption, but also no positives being gleaned from who they are?

There are still bright PARTS of the character of the Ultimate Warrior that can be "used" so to speak. The question is, when is it just not possible?

miserable

man, Beat the clock challenges are so stupid because it always implies that the one who has to beat the clock is winning the match, and makes their opponents seem like 90's WWF Superstars jobbers who are only there to get pinned.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
3U0jYLu.gif

Also I'm awake and I'm still not over how Guapito isn't dead

And AAA needs to pull Texano out of the doghouse or put a rocket to Pentagon soon. Nobody wants a main eventer Myzteziz heel run past the initial 'shock'

That being said, how shitty can a person be to get to the point of not only no redemption, but also no positives being gleaned from who they are?

There are still bright PARTS of the character of the Ultimate Warrior that can be "used" so to speak. The question is, when is it just not possible?

On the one hand, I believe there is most definitely good in the message WWE are promoting with Warrior's image and, when reviewing the DVD tribute box-set they made for Warrior earlier in the year, I got the impression that it was as much for his daughters as it was anything so that they can continue being proud of their father in the years to come. But, on the other hand, presenting a guy with such vile, reprehensible views (that he made absolutely no secret of during his time estranged from wrestling) as a hero of heroes and extolling his spirit as something everyone should aspire to just doesn't sit right with me.

I think murder does it for me.

snuka I'm comin' for ya

Fox318

Still not the worst thing WWE has done this past week.

Which was
Charlotte telling us the Four Horsemen were the greatest faction ever in the WWE.

Because they can't say wrestling they have to say wwe....

Man the day that Vince dies there will be just as much celebration as there will be mourning

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
On the one hand, I believe there is most definitely good in the message WWE are promoting with Warrior's image and, when reviewing the DVD tribute box-set they made for Warrior earlier in the year, I got the impression that it was as much for his daughters as it was anything so that they can continue being proud of their father in the years to come. But, on the other hand, presenting a guy with such vile, reprehensible views (that he made absolutely no secret of during his time estranged from wrestling) as a hero of heroes and extolling his spirit as something everyone should aspire to just doesn't sit right with me.

The hard part I have is, ok, this terrible shit was in 06. People CAN change. When do we say he can't? There's no set timeframe. There's no particular milestone someone can hit, as opposed to publicly showing a ton of remorse and explaining their change, which Warrior did not do, to my knowledge. I just don't know. I've done shitty things in the past that I've come around on, but I also didn't announce the change. It's so hard to say.

WWE takes what they can from the character, and very little from the man himself. And I think that's ok.

Man the day that Vince dies there will be just as much celebration as there will be mourning

Even as a fan of the wrestler, the circumstances of benoit's death are too horrific. Just as bad as you can get.

Top Bottom