• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT2| What? It's almost September.

At some point, the modern WWE would step in and force him to retire, I think.

I don't think they want any stories about wrestlers being permanently crippled, paralyzed or even die in the ring if they can help it.

I wasn't really paying attention when Edge retired. Was it solely his choice? Was the WWE willing to let him continue wrestling if he wanted to?

I'm not sure, but judging by what they did with Kurt Angle, I do think they'd stop Cena wrestling if they knew it was bad for his health.

somedevil

Some News:

The original plan for Monday's WWE RAW was for Big Show and Mark Henry to face Erick Rowan and Luke Harper, which was actually taped for SmackDown.

The plan was for Bray Wyatt to attack Big Show after the match and lay him out with Sister Abigail, as a way to show how dangerous Wyatt still is. The idea was to come out of RAW with momentum for Wyatt.

Plans changed some time Monday afternoon and they went with the six-man match that pretty much saw Cena run through The Wyatt Family

Hilarious. Vince must had an anxiety attack and needed Cena instead to look strong after looking weak for 1 day out of 10 years.

Plus news on everyone favorite faction:

The status of WWE's stable with Kofi Kingston, Big E and Xavier Woods has been a hot topic among fans this week. The group has been used at recent WWE live events and in dark matches, both as heels and babyfaces.

The members of the group have been told that they will still be used together in the future. WWE officials are trying to figure out how the group will be presented and how they want to move forward with it.

So they want to do it but do it so they don't look like its racist.

strobogo

Banned
At some point, the modern WWE would step in and force him to retire, I think.

I don't think they want any stories about wrestlers being permanently crippled, paralyzed or even die in the ring if they can help it.

I wasn't really paying attention when Edge retired. Was it solely his choice? Was the WWE willing to let him continue wrestling if he wanted to?

No. He was told he could be paralyzed with one more bump and was forced to retire immediately. WWE would never let him wrestle for them again.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm not sure, but judging by what they did with Kurt Angle, I do think they'd stop Cena wrestling if they knew it was bad for his health.

Difference being that Kurt was on the C show at that point, so he could recover.

John Cena IS the god damn WWE because of their booking

Well, they'd have to shift away from the one single focal point philosophy. But Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar, and RKO looks like a pretty bright future to me.

None of them have the proven ability to put butts in seats, because none of them have been given the chance to prove that without the ever-present shadow of Cena looming over them. WWE has relied on John for so long, insisted that he must stay strong because of huge merchandise sales for so long, that it really isn't clear who is and isn't a draw in this day and age, especially given WWE's extreme reactionary behaviour when it comes to minute-by-minute ratings.

Just add 1 white guy to the new Woods/Kofi/Big E stable and make it a group of mid card guys who are sick hitting the glass ceiling.

Or Zeb. I can see him breaking it off with Swagger soon.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's funny to say people think Roman can be the future of the company but Bray can't because he's fat.

I remember seeing an awful lot of Wyatt masks when their angle was starting to get hot. I remember even a gaffer saying he bought one for his kids because they really wanted one and that the price markup was high. I think the IWC is getting the WWE problem of thinking you can only have one 'main event' and everyone else just surrounds it. They got away from that after Hulkamania, and now they're going right back to it. Even with Austin, there were tons of guys who felt like they belonged up there with Austin. It felt like 'Austin's the captain and here's his rivals.' Where as Cena feels like the whole boat.

Zeb is totally gonna turn on Swagger.

Cena in a tag team run could be cool, and could give a guy a good rub without having to feud with Cena directly
until that guy turns heel on Cena and gets destroyed and released

It's funny to say people think Roman can be the future of the company but Bray can't because he's fat.

I remember seeing an awful lot of Wyatt masks when their angle was starting to get hot. I remember even a gaffer saying he bought one for his kids because they really wanted one and that the price markup was high. I think the IWC is getting the WWE problem of thinking you can only have one 'main event' and everyone else just surrounds it. They got away from that after Hulkamania, and now they're going right back to it. Even with Austin, there were tons of guys who felt like they belonged up there with Austin. It felt like 'Austin's the captain and here's his rivals.' Where as Cena feels like the whole boat.

Bray's credibility has taken some major blows lately. I honestly don't know what they can do to build him back up. He was struggling to trade wins with Jericho for fucks sake. Also, yeah let's be honest his more off the wall gimmick was only going to take him so far in the WWE's eyes.

dream

None of them have the proven ability to put butts in seats, because none of them have been given the chance to prove that without the ever-present shadow of Cena looming over them. WWE has relied on John for so long, insisted that he must stay strong because of huge merchandise sales for so long, that it really isn't clear who is and isn't a draw in this day and age, especially given WWE's extreme reactionary behaviour when it comes to minute-by-minute ratings.
That's actually why I think the trio of Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar, and RKO has a genuine shot at carrying the company. I'm thinking about that oft-bandied line about the "Attitude Era," where it's pointed out that people didn't just time in for SCSA. They bought tickets for The Rock, Undertaker, Mankind, Val Venis, and the rest of the ensemble. And to steal a line from my best friend Heel, despite what the Daniel Bryan people think, Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar, and RKO are this company's future.

If they do it right by slowly phasing out Cena while booking Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar, and RKO strongly (which I think even the staunchest critic of this wretched company would agree is happening), I think this could be a very smooth transition.

Just add 1 white guy to the new Woods/Kofi/Big E stable and make it a group of mid card guys who are sick hitting the glass ceiling.

Sandow would be great in that stable. Have Woods come out after one of Sandow's losses and recruit him.

This shit writes itself

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Roman Reigns and Randy Orton might as well be the same character. Orton would be a terrible option to push, especially considering he's probably right behind Cena on the retirement wagon.

Ithil

Some News:

Hilarious. Vince must had an anxiety attack and needed Cena instead to look strong after looking weak for 1 day out of 10 years.

Plus news on everyone favorite faction:

So they want to do it but do it so they don't look like its racist.

Ok here is our plan. Actually, scratch that, do the opposite of that. It'll probably work out the same right?

That's actually why I think the trio of Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar, and RKO has a genuine shot at carrying the company. I'm thinking about that oft-bandied line about the "Attitude Era," where it's pointed out that people didn't just time in for SCSA. They bought tickets for The Rock, Undertaker, Mankind, Val Venis, and the rest of the ensemble. And to steal a line from my best friend Heel, despite what the Daniel Bryan people think, Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar, and RKO are this company's future.

If they do it right by slowly phasing out Cena while booking Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar, and RKO strongly (which I think even the staunchest critic of this wretched company would agree is happening), I think this could be a very smooth transition.

I don't hate Randy, but c'mon he's been around longer than Cena he's not "the future." He's a good to great hand in the ring, but he only has enough credibility left to put over the newer guys, in this case Roman, who still has a ways to go

dream

That's the appeal of RKO though. He's Ric Flair in 1994. The aging veteran who can have at least a ****1/2 star with anyone, has an unbelievable presence, but unlike Flair in 94, RKO is also devastatingly handsome, making him a draw for the female, homosexual, and bi-sexual portions of the Universe.

BHZ Mayor

The new Real Americans. Proving to the world that black people in America are real Americans too. That's probably TOO heavy for WWE.

I always think of Armaggedon 2000, where the main event is basically here's our five top guys and one of our top midcarders in a match. Bar Undertaker, none of those guys had been top guys for 8 years at that point, and only Taker and Rikishi had been with the company in general for 8+ years.

Cagey

Banned

That problem's been evident for awhile now. CM Punk was a "mid card champion" because his match didn't go on last and John Cena was doing other things, for example; by implication, the main event was "last match" and "whatever Cena was doing".

That's the appeal of RKO though. He's Ric Flair in 1994. The aging veteran who can have at least a ****1/2 star with anyone, has an unbelievable presence, but unlike Flair in 94, RKO is also devastatingly handsome, making him a draw for the female, homosexual, and bi-sexual portions of the Universe.

Also unlike Flair, he's not a broken down, drug-addicted conman. Well, at least not even half of Flair's level, from what we know.

Striker

What's left for Orton to do? If anything, he should be in that role putting over younger guys or characters who are just beginning. He's not old or anything, but he's been around for so long and been in the main event scene for so long, there's only so much you can do.

If they had a WWF / WCW thing going on now, he'd be one ideal to jump so there is something new for that audience to see.

God dang, Orton is 34 years old. He's younger than Sheamus, Titus O'Neil, and Adam Rose. He's not useless, he can put on great matches with anyone if he's motivated. He's just never interesting to watch half of the time. But he's more useful in the veteran role who puts people over than everyone left from the Attitude Era

strobogo

Banned

What's the last 4 1/2 star match Orton had? What's the last 4 star match he had? Do you think he can have a 4 1/2 star match with Bull Dempsy?

dream

Really, I think the best thing they could do with RKO is give him a 24 month run with the belt so that beating him will mean something again.

Thorakai

Bray's credibility has taken some major blows lately. I honestly don't know what they can do to build him back up. He was struggling to trade wins with Jericho for fucks sake. Also, yeah let's be honest his more off the wall gimmick was only going to take him so far in the WWE's eyes.

Just gotta wait for See No Evil 3 starring Bray Wyatt for his newest push.

What's the last 4 1/2 star match Orton had? What's the last 4 star match he had? Do you think he can have a 4 1/2 star match with Bull Dempsy?

probs those TV matches with D. Bry. 4 stars at best though
Really, I think the best thing they could do with RKO is give him a 24 month run with the belt so that beating him will mean something again.
god no. his last reign was like 7 months and THAT was too long

dream

vs. Roman Reigns at SummerSlam - ****
vs. Daniel Bryan on some Monday Night Raw SuperShow - ****1/2
I don't know who Bull Dempsy is.

strobogo

Banned
vs. Roman Reigns at SummerSlam - ****
vs. Daniel Bryan on some Monday Night Raw SuperShow - ****1/2
I don't know who Bull Dempsy is.

LOL at Roman/Orton being 4 stars. I mean, it was okay, Roman showed a lot of improvement in it. 4 stars is silly. The WM match wasn't 4 stars either. HHH/Bryan was pretty close to 5.

Orton's last 4 star level stuff was with Bryan before Summerslam last year and before that, he hadn't done much since the Christian feud in 2010. He's a guy to reliably give you a 3 star match with anyone, and 4 with really good dudes. Not 4 1/2 minimum with everyone.

dream

LOL at Roman/Orton being 4 stars. I mean, it was okay, Roman showed a lot of improvement in it. 4 stars is silly. The WM match wasn't 4 stars either. HHH/Bryan was pretty close to 5.

Orton's last 4 star level stuff was with Bryan before Summerslam last year and before that, he hadn't done much since the Christian feud in 2010. He's a guy to reliably give you a 3 star match with anyone, and 4 with really good dudes. Not 4 1/2 minimum with everyone.
There's a really great point buried within your hateful vitriol: Roman Reigns did show a lot of improvement in his match with RKO. But how much of that is because he finally had a genuine ring general to work with?

Xater

I am not a fan of Cena's matches but if Roman is the future I'd take Cena's matches any day over that guy's.

So Ambrose and Reigns vs. Rollins and Kane at Night of Champs might be a thing.

They are using Ambrose to prop up Reigns at this point.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Part-time commission jobs for appliances are pretty sweet, dudes.

Making like double to triple what I was making in my old job. Even on slow days.

Ambrose coming back so soon? thought he was filming a movie

Apparently the Bridgestone arena was advertising it for the event. Saw it on Rajah.com.

I think he could be back for then. Maybe they are playing it safe just in case he's not.

Edit: I would take Cena over Reigns. Cena actually manages to entertain me. I only dislike him because he's booked over the fucking moon.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
08_SD_08192014sb_0031.jpg

Titty master better watch out

Top Bottom