• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT2| What? It's almost September.

strobogo

Banned
LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

Ditch Decades 5

I've changed my rules. No longer going to stick with just one promotion per review because there is too much interesting stuff from multiple promotions that wouldn't fit into the parameters of one match per decade.

Matches in this set include:

• Andre The Giant/Ali Bey/Franz Van Buyten vs Rusher Kimura/Teranishi/Thunder Sugiyama IWE 5/2/72
  • Tiger Mask vs Steve Wright NJPW 4/1/82
  • Shinya Hashimoto/Junji Hirata vs Harlem Heat NJ 3/20/96
  • Mitsuharu Misawa/Yoshinari Ogawa vs Shinya Hashimoto/Alexander Otsuka NOAH 1/13/01

I'd skip the Harlem Heat match and watch the rest. Andre was SO FUN. That whole match was really fun considering I had no idea who anyone but Andre was and kind of Rusher. It was a Southern Wrasslin style tag match with Euro mat work and comedy. It's really enjoyable. Andre is young, in shape, healthy, and can do everything. Mat work, power moves, actually funny comedy. Steve Wright is the father of Alex Wright and let me tell you, he's legit. That match is as good as most TM/Dynamite matches. So snug and smooth and tight and just rad. And Hashimoto was a Damon Kane possessed, coming into NOAH and wanting nothing more than to fuck Misawa up and try to cause a riot.

ib04b7uWuWoMHR.gif

iVN8KSZ9ckAHq.gif

iD3hMTJ5pvj4q.gif

iAGKaoHxHssKC.gif

Awesome, I freaking love that Andre 6-man tag - he's so much fun, clowning on his own tag partners, some of those crazy submissions and the way he keeps trying to get the crowd to cheer for him by shouting at them in French. So awesome.

IWE is a weird promotion - they set out to be quite different from JWA with a lot more Japanese vs Japanese matches and a lot of Euro & American influence. They were also the first to bring Andre to Japan in '72.

Striker

ADR - They fucked up ADR's push so many times that I don't even remember the Cena feud and honestly, he was doing fine until he didn't win at WM against Edge and he turned face.

Ryback - Ryback was screwed when he was a hot face and thrown into a title match against Punk during his long reign. Ryback either should've won the title then, then lost it back to Punk, or not been in the match at all. The fact he was then turned and lost a feud against Ryback is a case of the walking wounded being put down.
My two cents on this:

ADR- I agree his initial push was ruined once they had him lose vs. Edge at WM27, and his push as Smackdown's top heel was transferred to a then-babyface Christian so poops in bags can get a summer run as WHC. But while those two were fighting, ADR went directionless by getting involved with Big Shoe and Kane (remember that shit?) and then cashed in his briefcase (okay, so his Rumble win ended up meaning nothing, let's see how they mess up his cash-in...). His cash-in? On CM Punk at SummerSlam where Kevin Nash appeared out of nowhere and Triple H got his big nose involved. ADR's character was promptly bashed by Cena for not earning the win, saying he didn't buy his cars, he's a phony, etc. To combat that, ADR has a weak reign, loses the title, and goes back into nowhere land. What a waste.

Ryback - Again agree his momentum died a bit when CM Punk pinned him in his first main event match. Low blow ref screw job. What the hell is that? Goes nowhere in random matches and faces Henry at WM where he, again, loses. Somehow he was still mega-over with the Feed Me More chants, and they turn him heel. Rest is history.

Patryn

The problem with Raw last night is that it felt like a window into a company that has no clue what it's doing.

It's clear that they want Reigns to be the next guy, but beyond that I feel like there's very little future planning going on.

And considering that subscriptions are expiring, that's CRAZY to me. I can see them treading water around month 3 or 4 of the subscription window, but the fact that they're not firing on all cylinders now is just....

Seriously, hearing that Raw hadn't been written 4 hours before it started is just... what the hell are they doing?

For me, at least, that Raw basically burnt all the goodwill they had rebuilt with Summerslam because it committed the gravest sin: It was BORING.

Mahonay

Banned
Catching up on RAW from last night. Rusev can sell pretty fucking well for a big man, and someone who's still relatively green. The more I see of him, the more I see the potential.

I don't even think he's that green. I genuinely like Rusev in the ring.

Of course by far the least hyped of the nxt guys by the nxt marks turns out to be by far the best. Never trust those damned marks.

Patryn

Of course by far the least hyped of the nxt guys by the nxt marks turns out to be by far the best. Never trust those damned marks.

The problem is that I'm beginning to suspect that he's being built up solely to be fed to Cena after he loses to Brock again.

Mahonay

Banned

His in ring work as a heel is pretty great overall. He's getting heat in a damn hurry and it's impressive.

I liked him a lot in NXT. The dude had "it" from the beginning, even if the matches were meh. I never understood the initial hate for him.
Fixed for inevitability.

The problem is that I'm beginning to suspect that he's being built up solely to be fed to Cena after he loses to Brock again.

plz no :(

The only man Rusve should be getting fed to.
kurt-angle-in-wwe-13.jpg

Which apparently won't happen since Tripps doesn't want to put up with his shit.

Raw worth watching? I recorded due to no lesnar and Ambrose
It was literally one of the worst Raws ever. Swagger vs Rusev was average. Seth Rollins eulogy for Ambrose was okay. What happened after the Rhodes vs Usos match was good. Every other segment rates as below average to some of the worst booking of alltime.

Mahonay

Banned
Cesaro finally given a workable feud with Sheamus. Good. Also hey, the US title actually having something somewhat interesting going on with it.

Now if they could allow the IC title to be fought over by more than two men. WWE will always drive me insane with their current refusal to put over multiple story lines at once. It's the fucking shits.
It was literally one of the worst Raws ever. Swagger vs Rusev was average. Seth Rollins eulogy for Ambrose was okay. What happened after the Rhodes vs Usos match was good. Every other segment rates as below average to some of the worst booking of alltime.
Looks like I'll be skipping a lot of it.

RP912

Banned
MMM that new thread smell. I'm still got a nasty taste in my mouth from last night's raw. I guess I'll watch some razor ramon promos to wash it out.

Patryn

Fixed for inevitability.

If Cena wins at NoC, then what the hell was the point of Summerslam?

I have little faith that they'll do what they should do, which is just have Lesner fucking squash him a second time, but I do have faith that they're not COMPLETE idiots and waste all this build on Cena yet again.

BHZ Mayor

If Cena wins at NoC, then what the hell was the point of Summerslam?

I have little faith that they'll do what they should do, which is just have Lesner fucking squash him a second time, but I do have faith that they're not COMPLETE idiots and waste all this build on Cena yet again.

To get Cena his 16th title reign. Why do you think Flair has been showing up so much lately?

Mahonay

Banned
Jesus that Usos/Rhodes match was awful. The crowd did not give a shit nor should they have.

Remember when just a little while ago the tag division seemed like it was getting better?
So, ya'll are saying I should just skip to Rollins' eulogy on my DVR?
It's short and there's a story development at the end. Worth watching, not completely terrible.

Hasney

Well damn :(

And it's just the best of nitro next week right? Not actually full episodes?

They've worded it badly. 100 hours going up, so I guess it will be some full episodes. Probably like the Best of Raw and Smackdown that are up now, just random episodes they think are good.

Mahonay

Banned
Damien Mizdow is forced and shitty. HIs recent work as the lumberjack lumberjack was far superior.

Brie and Nikki Bella segment now. Make it stop.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Raw was fine last night. If we removed Cena, all the complaints would stop. Cesaro won and has a new feud instead of jobbing. Stardust/Goldust finally are being used in a feud instead of random wacky vignettes. Nikki went in on Brie and even Lawler. Slater Gator was fun on TV. Rollins, Kane, and Reigns was fine. Lesnar interview was great. Sandow was at least on tv and Ziggler wasn't jobbing like he was before his title reign. Rusev, Bo, and Swagger all looked good.

All the exaggeration on this board is tiresome. Removing Cena last week had everyone staying it was one of the best Raws. With his return, opening and closing the show, everyone loses their shit -- par for course, history repeats itself on this thread.

I've begun to realize that many take it personal that Cena is in the main event and whenever he beats one of their favorite wrestlers.

It's not Cena's fault Punk quit (kind of but still he didn't make the decision), Bryan is injured, Edge had to retire, Y2J is only part time, ADR was fired, Christian is injury prone, RVD is past his prime, and the list goes on for potential people who could have helped shape the main event scene this year.

I don't like Cena as much as anyone else, but that doesn't mean I can't find enjoyment in the show. I tune in for Cesaro, Shield members, Wyatts, Bo, Y2J, Stardust/Goldust, Zeb, Lana/Rusev, Hall of Pain, Stephanie on the mic, Barrett, and Paige/AJ. Last night had many good and okay elements besides poor booking of the Wyatts.

Why does WWE avoid mentioning that Nikki and Cena are dating outside of Total Divas? They are all about talking about Brie/Bryan and Tyson/Natalya, but rarely ever do the acknowledge Cena/Nikki. With Nikki going heel, it is an opportune time to let Cena explore something else besides burying young talent.

They need to keep the illusion that Cena's available to maintain his appeal to female fans. It's the same reason they don't actively publicize male singers' relationships.

Top Bottom