• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone going tomorrow?
Was considering it. Know a few people who went last year (some from Geelong, some from Melbourne). Geelong people seemed to enjoy it more because it wasn't a long trip there and back (same could be said of the Ballarat one though I guess).

I decided in the end that I'm not going to go, and will instead spend the money (it'd cost me nearly $100 to get there and get in, and get a few tasting tokens) on nice bottles of beer instead. Probably about 2/3 or more of the stuff there I'll have had before anyway.

If you do plan on going, I can provide some varied suggestions based on the brewers that'll be there and point you in the direction of some really good brews.

Shaneus

No CRACKDOWN 3 until 2016 means no Xbone in my house until 2016 so that works out nicely.

Best place to buy a Vita today?
Checked Ozbargain? I don't know... you still have, like, a week and a bit before TxK is out. Take your time!

PS. Likewise. That's enough to lock in a purchase for me, with Horizon being another potential straw on that particular camel's back... but that's it. Having said that, FM5 wasn't enough for me to get one, so maybe Horizon won't be either.

Am I blind? Probably, but I don't see it:

4cIaNDF.png
Old version?
Fake edit: So weird. Was on my home one, but checking it at work... can't see it. Bizarre.
FWIW I'm not actually using Firefox itself, but an alternate 64-bit build called Cyberfox. Shouldn't be any different though.

Isn't this just that thing where you go to google.com, and if it redirects you to google.com.au you can click the google.com link in the bottom right-hand corner setting it to use google.com by default (or the other way around if you want .com.au)?
Nope. Or maybe it was but it was a bitch to change back, but I didn't think so. Part of the problem was that search via the Firefox address bar was always defaulting to .com as well (which I don't think the Google.com page can influence).

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Popped down to my local cafe for an iced coffee. After doing the pleasantries the chick serving. Me was like "oh! Your tshirt! That alien I know him... he's from that cartoon"

It was yoda.

Oh australia.

Dead Man

Old version?
Fake edit: So weird. Was on my home one, but checking it at work... can't see it. Bizarre.
FWIW I'm not actually using Firefox itself, but an alternate 64-bit build called Cyberfox. Shouldn't be any different though.

Nope. Or maybe it was but it was a bitch to change back, but I didn't think so. Part of the problem was that search via the Firefox address bar was always defaulting to .com as well (which I don't think the Google.com page can influence).

Nope, up to date version. Fucking thing sucks. Google need to get slapped around a bit.

Isn't this just that thing where you go to google.com, and if it redirects you to google.com.au you can click the google.com link in the bottom right-hand corner setting it to use google.com by default (or the other way around if you want .com.au)?

Nah, the search functionality in FF itself (address bar and search box) defaults to searching the US google domain regardless of what I do unless I add Google Australia specifically as a separate search engine in FF.

My keyboard's working fine but it has no palm rest. I love palm rests :( I love low-profile keys also. I only found one review for the keyboard and it was pretty positive.

dead man: Whats so bad about chiclet keys? I've never used mechanical but seriously, it can't feel that different to normal keys. It's the same end-result anyway

I just hate the flatness of them. Aesthetically they offend me, and I find I miss keys much more often with them. I know heaps of people prefer them, but everyone else is wrong. :)

Popped down to my local cafe for an iced coffee. After doing the pleasantries the chick serving. Me was like "oh! Your tshirt! That alien I know him... he's from that cartoon"

It was yoda.

Oh australia.

If she was a lot younger than you I can see her not knowing. For people who are 20 now, ESB came out 14 years before they were born. Relatively that is like me watching... something old. Hang on.

Fake edit:

8PUR0Uo.png

This is the top ten grossing (US) films from 14 years before I was born. I have seen two of them.

To the kids, SWOT are OLD. The prequels were popular, but the characters didn't seem to be nearly as widely known by name as the OT characters.

tl;dr - Everyone is old now and the kids are confusing.

Edit: LOL, TDM you evil bastard. Locking the RPJ thread with a day to go for hitting 20k posts.

r1chard

This is the top ten grossing (US) films from 14 years before I was born. I have seen two of them.
I've been making an effort to consume some classics of literature and film and I have to say .. we've learned a heckuva lot about story-telling over the last 100 years. Some of the old novels are soo... sloowwww... and the films, just thank the gods for modern editing.

legend166

Nope, up to date version. Fucking thing sucks. Google need to get slapped around a bit.

Nah, the search functionality in FF itself (address bar and search box) defaults to searching the US google domain regardless of what I do unless I add Google Australia specifically as a separate search engine in FF.

I just hate the flatness of them. Aesthetically they offend me, and I find I miss keys much more often with them. I know heaps of people prefer them, but everyone else is wrong. :)

If she was a lot younger than you I can see her not knowing. For people who are 20 now, ESB came out 14 years before they were born. Relatively that is like me watching... something old. Hang on.

Fake edit:

8PUR0Uo.png

To the kids, SWOT are OLD. The prequels were popular, but the characters didn't seem to be nearly as widely known by name as the OT characters.

Edit: LOL, TDM you evil bastard. Locking the RPJ thread with a day to go for hitting 20k posts.

I've only seen one of them - To Kill a Mockingbird.

I've been meaning to watch Lawrence of Arabia for ages now. Should get on that.

Quasar

I've only seen one of them - To Kill a Mockingbird.

I've been meaning to watch Lawrence of Arabia for ages now. Should get on that.

I think I've seen 6 (1,2,6,7,8, and maybe 9). But then I'm a film geek.

As for Yoda....even kids should be familiar with Yoda via the prequels, animated shows etc. So I'd consider that interaction kind of odd.

HolyCheck

Fake edit:

8PUR0Uo.png

yeah around 20ish. but still it wasnt a 1 off year film.. 6 films.

interestingly i've seen none of the top 10 from 14 years before my birth!

6xyFRXP.png

Yeah no X1 until 2016 for me. Not into Halo really.

Depends on how Infamous/Driveclub turns out, in terms of picking up a PS4. Pretty sure I'll import a bundle from Amazon eventually for teh cheapness.

Best place to buy a Vita today?
Eh. MEH.

EB has one with Killzone Mercenary for $269. Really good FPS if you like FPS in any way.

EB had the same Vita with KZM for $199 last december! Had the same deal with Tearaway instead too.

NOBODY LISTENS TO ME :/

We did? Damn, didn't pick it up.
Come on man I reminded you and everything. With links too damn it!

6xyFRXP.png

Stop what you're doing and go watch #1 and #3 right fucking meow!

jambo

6xyFRXP.png

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait....

You haven't seen Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein?

I...

You...

It...

EDIT: I've seen 3 of mine (1973 - The Sting, Live and Let Die and Robin Hood)

ocQmZYk.png

Danoss

8PUR0Uo.png

Looking at the top 10 grossing films from 1967 and I've only seen three of them. Stepping outside the top 10 and the number of films I have seen increase by quite a bit.

The film at number 16 is Wait Until Dark. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favour and watch it as soon as possible. This movie is the very definition of a thriller to me.

Fake edit:

8PUR0Uo.png

To be fair, none of those movies are anywhere near what Star Wars is. People know the story of Star Wars without even seeing the movies.
Plus I'm a Star Wars nerd and can't believe someone can't point out Yoda in a line up.

A 5 year concession card. Who thought that sounded like a good idea?
Revising the system is good but the process seems a bit annoying.

Just be glad you're not in NSW where since we don't have Go cards or anything, the concession rorting was done with paper tickets bought at ticket machines. Now every time I want to buy a concession ticket during business hours I have to line up at the booth, no machines. :'(

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Blame the people catching it when they shouldnt be.

I've got no issue with this, other than the annoying red tape.

if you're not a full time student you dont need the concession.

Pfft - public transport in brisbane should be A LOT cheaper than it is right now.

Top grossing films? From 1978 thats:
1. Grease
2. Superman
3. National Lampoon's Animal House
4. Every Which Way but Loose
5. Heaven Can Wait
6. Hooper
7. Jaws 2
8. Halloween
9. Dawn of the Dead
10. The Deer Hunter
Seen about half of those.

But maybe we should see what was critically-lauded instead?

1979 Oscars
Best Picture - Deer Hunter
Best Foreign Film - Get Out Your Handkerchiefs

Other award-winning movies:
Coming Home
California Suite
Midnight Express
Heaven Can Wait
Superman

36th Golden Globes
Best Film - Midnight Express
Best Film (Musical/Comedy) - Heaven Can Wait
Best Foreign Film - Autumn Sonata
Guess I've got some watching to do...

Turns out Giorgio Moroder won best original score for Midnight Express at the Golden Globes, too.

When a 20 minute bus ride to the city is $7.20 one way I can hardly blame them.

But yeah, red tape is annoying. Wouldn't it be way easier just to ask universities to issue one year student cards, or make student go cards only last a year?

HolyCheck

When a 20 minute bus ride to the city is $7.20 one way I can hardly blame them.

But yeah, red tape is annoying. Wouldn't it be way easier just to ask universities to issue one year student cards, or make student go cards only last a year?

It hurts my brain that yours do not.

SA ones are one year. if you're enrolled the next year you simply go to campus central and they put a little sticker on your card

lexi

Banned

I need the concession. I refuse to pay 3 fucking grand a year for such a shitty service.

Dryk

In SA our student cards expire annually and we're free to buy concession cards and use them whenever we want (as long as we don't run into an inspector). I'm not sure how well that's working out for us.

It hurts my brain that yours do not.

SA ones are one year. if you're enrolled the next year you simply go to campus central and they put a little sticker on your card

eh, ours have the graduation date on them which usually works alright (unless people drop out). They aren't actually valid for five years unless you're doing a five year degree, nor are go cards contrary to what the article says.

r1chard

My ex has expressed an interest in brewing beer and ginger beer. Would I make a horrible mistake if I just got her one of the Coopers kits? (to be clear, we're friends, so I'm not wanting to get her something terrible - I just don't want to spend a huge amount on Something Right Proper in case she hates the whole thing once she gets into it)

Honestly, those kits are fine. The beer you'll produce isn't great, but it's a good way to start learning. I know people who never moved on from it and they're OK with the beer they make. Some of my first 'at home' brews were with a mate using those kits.

You can start brewing all grain as brew in a bag (BIAB) inexpensively (15L pot at Kmart is $15, appropriate bag is about $10, fermenter can be bought at Bunnings for $18, hydrometer is $10, maybe $50 for other stuff, and say $30 for the ingredients for the first brew).

Alternatively, she could try cider. You can do your first batch of 23L for about $75-100 all up with everything you'll need (juice, yeast, fermenter, bottles, bottling wand, hydrometer).

Shaneus

When it came to dishing out movies that were made 14 years before I was born, clearly I was ripped off something fucking severe:
QrPPxzs.png

I can see maybe two movies I'd be interested in seeing. No, I haven't seen Good/Bad/Ugly.

markot

Banned
Top grossing films (U.S.)
Rank Title Studio Director Actors Gross
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Stanley Kubrick Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, William Sylvester, and Douglas Rain $68,700,000[1]
2. Funny Girl Columbia Pictures William Wyler Barbra Streisand, Omar Sharif, Kay Medford, Anne Francis, and Walter Pidgeon $58,500,000[2]
3. The Love Bug Walt Disney Productions Robert Stevenson Dean Jones, Michele Lee, David Tomlinson, Buddy Hackett, and Herbie $51,264,000[3]
4. The Odd Couple Paramount Pictures Gene Saks Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, John Fielder, and Herb Edelman $44,527,234[4]
5. Bullitt Warner Bros.-Seven Arts Peter Yates Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn, and Jacqueline Bisset $42,300,873[5]
6. Romeo and Juliet Paramount Pictures Franco Zeffirelli Leonard Whiting, Olivia Hussey, Milo O'Shea, Pat Heywood, John McEnery, Robert Stephens, Michael York, and Bruce Robinson $38,901,218[6]
7. Oliver! Columbia Pictures Carol Reed Mark Lester, Ron Moody, Oliver Reed, Jack Wild, Shani Wallis, Harry Secombe, Sheila White, Joseph O'Connor, Hugh Griffith, Peggy Mount, Leonard Rossiter, and Hylda Baker $37,402,877[7]
8. Rosemary's Baby Paramount Pictures Roman Polanski Mia Farrow, Ruth Gordon, John Cassavetes, Sidney Blackmer, Maurice Evans, Ralph Bellamy, and Angela Dorian $33,395,426[8]
9. Planet of the Apes 20th Century Fox Franklin J. Schaffner Charlton Heston, Roddy McDowall, Kim Hunter, Maurice Evans, James Whitmore, James Daly, and Linda Harrison $32,589,624[9]
10. Night of the Living Dead Walter Reade Organization George A. Romero Duane Jones and Judith O'Dea $30,000,000[10]

Was considering it. Know a few people who went last year (some from Geelong, some from Melbourne). Geelong people seemed to enjoy it more because it wasn't a long trip there and back (same could be said of the Ballarat one though I guess).

I decided in the end that I'm not going to go, and will instead spend the money (it'd cost me nearly $100 to get there and get in, and get a few tasting tokens) on nice bottles of beer instead. Probably about 2/3 or more of the stuff there I'll have had before anyway.

If you do plan on going, I can provide some varied suggestions based on the brewers that'll be there and point you in the direction of some really good brews.

Aw, would have been nice to meet you. Yes, I am going tomorrow and your expert advice is most welcome. My main motive is just to try new varieties of beer and cider so I know what's good to order next time I'm buying or drinking out.

TBH I haven't found a beer yet that I would like to drink regularly. The vale and ipa varieties I bought started tasting horrible after some time :(

$100 sounds about right. $72.50 for entry + 20 tokens, $14 for public transport and probably another $15-20 for lunch.

Dammit, shan, you're not helping.

@rep: because Deadman made an assumption about the person's age - in order to make a point - that it wasn't fair to assume anyone would have naturally seen a movie made 14 years before they were born.

Edit: fuhfugssake, rooster!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom