• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
look, I generally agree, but if people keep buying it... what you going to do? I personally just don't touch.
It's not like activision games are worth buying anyways! ;p and there's always the option of gifting.

Apparently the PS4 1.51 firmware update is up on the Aussie playstation site. Is any tech-savvy AusGAFer able to compare it to the US file (MD5 check, etc) to see if they're identical? One of the EU community managers was saying to use the EU firmware rather than the US one, but I'd be amazed if they weren't identical.

Nevermind, they are indeed the same file (MD5 hash ed49d42a08a0927f0692a2372d9e9e6e).

Aussie link: http://au.playstation.com/home/news/articles/detail/item663043/Update-your-PS4-system-software/

US link: http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps4/#update-computer

That EU community manager (Chris Owen) is on drugs.

Quasar

look, I generally agree, but if people keep buying it... what you going to do? I personally just don't touch.

I just pay us folks to gift me games to get around stupid prices. I Should not have to do that though. steam should just have one price for all.

No Steam sale gif? For shame AusGAF.

steam_animation.gif
41AGS.gif

Couldn't find the extended first one.

skyrim dlc still crazy price. arseholes. you are basically punished for owning the base game over the goty.
Yeah, I'm starting to get to the point where I just won't buy a game on release any more since I'm punished for being enthusiastic. Some goodwill could be regained by providing a free upgrade to the GOTY 6 months after the GOTY releases or something. I bet there'd still be a ton of people who would buy DLC at release.

Omikron

I would also be happy with an extra bonus for already owning the base game, once the GOTY hits. Say another 20% off?

Quasar

Yeah, I'm starting to get to the point where I just won't buy a game on release any more since I'm punished for being enthusiastic. Some goodwill could be regained by providing a free upgrade to the GOTY 6 months after the GOTY releases or something. I bet there'd still be a ton of people who would buy DLC at release.

I'll admit regular steam sales has put me into the mode that for the most part I only buy pc games during steam sales. My game pile is big enough I can just wait for stuff to be on sale.

So the Steam sale is apparently a 'Spring' sale for us, except that going into any game's page that's not a daily or flash deal shows this:

byoA2lB.png

Oops.

I'll admit regular steam sales has put me into the mode that for the most part I only buy pc games during steam sales. My game pile is big enough I can just wait for stuff to be on sale.
Well yeah, I'm super cheap now when it comes to games because I have enough unplayed that I can be.

Apparently the PS4 1.51 firmware update is up on the Aussie playstation site. Is any tech-savvy AusGAFer able to compare it to the US file (MD5 check, etc) to see if they're identical? One of the EU community managers was saying to use the EU firmware rather than the US one, but I'd be amazed if they weren't identical.
Nevermind, they are indeed the same file (MD5 hash ed49d42a08a0927f0692a2372d9e9e6e).

Aussie link: http://au.playstation.com/home/news/articles/detail/item663043/Update-your-PS4-system-software/

US link: http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps4/#update-computer

That EU community manager (Chris Owen) is on drugs.
Yeah the only changes I could think of would be updates for region specific apps, other than that there shouldn't be anything.

Some goodwill could be regained by providing a free upgrade to the GOTY 6 months after the GOTY releases or something. I bet there'd still be a ton of people who would buy DLC at release.
Yeah it was pretty cool when WB upgraded peoples version of the Arkham games on Steam to the GOTY edition once they added Steamworks. Class act!

Jintor

Nah, a bunch of stuff came out during the year I'm hoping will show up on sale.

Though I probably should've waited to buy State of Decay

Fusebox

Banned

1.51 downloaded automatically a few days ago for me. No idea how to do an MD5 check but if you hum a few bars I'll fake it.

You should see the prices on Aussie PSN Store though holy shit lol Austax. $99 for everything, at least NFS got a discount over the last few days, it was $104 last time I checked.

Also the Aus store has all these stupid one line descriptions above each game. 'Non-stop racing action!' above NFS, 'Epic first person shooter' above Killzone, it's like Sony hired one of those muppets from JB that writes tag lines on all the game prices.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Hungry jacks coffees are yucky. Had to add extra sugar and it still tastes icky. The one I had from maccas earlier this week was pretty good.
Day ruined by inferior coffee :mad:

Mr. Tone

Hungry jacks coffees are yucky. Had to add extra sugar and it still tastes icky. The one I had from maccas earlier this week was pretty good.
Day ruined by inferior coffee :mad:

I didn't get to have my usual coffee this morning, my coffee cup has been packed up in preparation for moving. I need to rely on contempt to keep me motivated this morning instead.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I didn't get to have my usual coffee this morning, my coffee cup has been packed up in preparation for moving. I need to rely on contempt to keep me motivated this morning instead.
I've only recently started drinking it. Well hot anyway. And even I can tell a bad cup of coffee. Blech. I'd rather have the craving than drink anymore of it.

And placement is extra boring today. Supposed to be with the volunteers but the one I was rostered with isn't here today, and the one they're now putting me with still isn't here. Been waiting in the staff room for 40 minutes. Gaf is my saviour from boredom

Slabs of Oettinger for $20.90 from Dan Murphys, click & collect available!
At that price it's difficult to even homebrew cheaper than that! Might be worth it just to get some more bottles to store my own stuff in...

And I really love how we see so many references to the reinheitsgebot making beer "pure" and "better", when really, IMO, it's just made beer in that country stagnant and incredibly dull. Well-executed in many cases? Definitely. Dull and virtually no variety or experimentation? Also definitely. Also, I'm pretty sure it's not actually a "law" any more, even though virtually no one ventures outside the rules.

Edit: Yeah, that law's long gone, but there is still a 'Biergesetz' which still governs what can go into a beer, and it's still quite a limited scope compared to their neighbours like Belgium.

jambo

I totally forgot to post about it this morning, but

MY GMOD IS WORKING AGAIN =D =D =D =D

I randomly checked some Steam Community notifications and apparently everyone with the issue got a 60MB update that fixed all the missing files.

Anyone keen for some duping and randome gametypes tonight?

Anwhere in Brisbane with demo PS4 or XB1 units? Or at least somewhere I can touch the controllers? I hate the way all of the XB1 stuff is in solid boxes... I can't even see the bloody controllers!

After facing intense criticism over the lack of indie game support, Microsoft rushed to announce the ID@Xbox program for indie developers ahead of the Xbox One launch, but details on how third-party games can be created and sold are still secured under a non-disclosure agreement.
The Verge has spoken to several developers whom have been accepted into the ID@Xbox program, and some are still waiting to hear additional details and receive the units they need to start creating games.
With its gaming ecosystem still in flux, it’s not clear how Microsoft will address a larger app store for the platform.

You drunk MS go home. Knew they were just talking out their arse about the indie stuff and frantically trying to get something started up. Looking forward to the day when the X1 retail unit is a dev kit! lol

Jesus, those Mario sales numbers.

Nintendo am doomed. Well, Wii U is doomed.
Yeah software was slightly down on what I thought it would do but holy shit at pretty much ZERO bump in hardware sales. That was the big shock.

6cff6fc441.png

I rest my slab.
I don't care what those lazy buggers call it! It's a slab!

At that price it's difficult to even homebrew cheaper than that! Might be worth it just to get some more bottles to store my own stuff in...

And I really love how we see so many references to the reinheitsgebot making beer "pure" and "better", when really, IMO, it's just made beer in that country stagnant and incredibly dull. Well-executed in many cases? Definitely. Dull and virtually no variety or experimentation? Also definitely. Also, I'm pretty sure it's not actually a "law" any more, even though virtually no one ventures outside the rules.
Agree. It's German for "predictable". Like McDonalds!

So far nothing on the Steam sale is making me super excited. Dear God...am I cured?!
My cure for steam sales was apparently buying all of the steam sales.
Yeah this. Games are cheap all the time now!

Anwhere in Brisbane with demo PS4 or XB1 units? Or at least somewhere I can touch the controllers? I hate the way all of the XB1 stuff is in solid boxes... I can't even see the bloody controllers!
Check Dick Smith for PS4. Even the one here in whoop whoop has a demo unit!

Haven't seen an X1 aside from the 1/2 units they plonk on the wall in a glass case with a video playing.

Deeku

starting today i have an intern to boss around lol!

also, it would be great if our resident spreadsheet game guy would give a heads up if said spreadsheet game goes on sale for steam:)

If you have an EU/AU PS4, you should download the local update.

The 1.51 update downloaded from us.playstation.com is almost 900mb but the same downloaded directly on the PS4 is around 300mb.

Also the Aus store has all these stupid one line descriptions above each game. 'Non-stop racing action!' above NFS, 'Epic first person shooter' above Killzone, it's like Sony hired one of those muppets from JB that writes tag lines on all the game prices.

The Sony office in South Melbourne has 2 staff members for the games division. TWO.

The joy of Amazon digital coupons! All USD prices.

International folk: you'll need a US address (preferably in a state that doesn't charge tax for digital purchases, such as Delaware), and a dummy US PSN account. Stick the US address in the Amazon address book, splash the cash, and activate the codes on the US PSN account. Log into your dummy account, download the games, and then switch to your regular account to play them. Do note that last step won't work on a Vita or a PSP, so don't buy any handheld stuff with this method.

Today
GTA5 for PS3 for $34 Damn youuuuuuuuu Death!

Starting tomorrow, PS3 deals
CoD Ghosts $40 (can be upgraded to PS4 version for $10)
Assassin's Creed 4 $34 (includes $5 credit, can be upgraded to PS4 version for $10 which only costs you $5)
FIFA 14 $40
Lego Marvel Super Heroes $30

For three hours from Thursday 9:10 EST
Battlefield 4 $25 (includes $5 credit, can be upgraded to PS4 version for $10 which only costs you $5)

Insane deals!

I also wonder if the PS4 deals work in the same way that you make a dummy account and you can play the games on your AU account. Most likely as it would be odd to change that.
Any idea Death/Fusebox!?!

Killzone & Knack are $49 each digital code with $5 credit towards your next purchase. Same with LEGO Marvel for $49

Mr. Tone

I tried to buy a PSN card off Amazon the other day, and it wouldn't let me proceed without putting in US credit card details. Will I be having the same problem with these deals? Gonna try and get that Black Flag for PS4 anyway.

I also wonder if the PS4 deals work in the same way that you make a dummy account and you can play the games on your AU account. Most likely as it would be odd to change that.
Any idea Death/Fusebox!?!

Yes, but the dummy account needs to be the primary account on the PS4.

I tried to buy a PSN card off Amazon the other day, and it wouldn't let me proceed without putting in US credit card details. Will I be having the same problem with these deals? Gonna try and get that Black Flag for PS4 anyway.

You need to have a US address saved in your amazon profile as the primary address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom