• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

Hmmm Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for $59 from Target. Should I or shouldn't I?

Donkey Kong is $59 at Target?

It will be mine.

Speaking of video games, I haven't been paying much attention, but is there much coming out for either console between this month and the holiday season?

Shaneus

One less reason to get a PS4, good chance I won't bother with getting either console this year.
Fuck. It was the main reason I got one, based on an early 2014 release so I wouldn't have to struggle with finding a console (see: rep).

Thanks for the heads-up, Death.

Quasar

Speaking of video games, I haven't been paying much attention, but is there much coming out for either console between this month and the holiday season?

I imagine there's plenty. Though your tastes and existing platforms you own will rule out some/much of it.

Lemme think about some "family-friendly"(ish) games for you to chuck on that people would enjoy and are cheapish... hmm.

Fish Tales (simple enough rules, fun voices/sounds, flapping fish on top of backbox)
Revenge from Mars/Star Wars: Episode One (newer "Pinball 2000" form factor with a smaller footprint, have video, easy enough to play... at least, SWEP1 is. RfM is supposed to be great as well, though)
World Cup Soccer (might be a little pricier than the others mentioned, but good family theme that plays nicely and nice, exciting voice work)
Terminator 2 (great game, made a lot so could pick up a bargain on this)
High Speed/The Getaway (High Speed 2) (escape from police, kinda blokey but easy enough gameplay concepts to grasp. Big red spinning light on backbox)
White Water (won't be *that* cheap, but might get lucky. Whitewater rafting theme, crazy fun but might be a little complicated for guests)

As far as prices go, around $2-3k would net you a Fish Tales, Getaway or High Speed (with HS being cheapest, but from the 80s), while the rest could be had from around $3k up to $4k depending on condition/seller. Obviously can get even higher depending on condition, but those are solid ballpark prices for reasonable nick games.

Rocky and Bullwinkle, Jurassic Park and Batman are all meant to be solid Data East machines (with JP being the pick of the bunch) which I believe all go for around $3-4k as well, with JP starting to increase in price recently (and is the better machine).

Hopefully that at least gives you a starting point for virtual tables to suss out :)

Thanks for the reply. The amount of people that have suggested fish tales has been ridiculous. As it stands I was wanting to keep the budget on the cheap side, will just have to keep an eye out.

Quasar

I have no interest in titanfall.... but I bought it, cause it was cheap... 50 for the complete set.

I just kind of want to see how well/poorly it runs on my system. I guess they won't be offering any kind of demo down the line for this kind of thing given its online only.

Its interesting...in some ways the whole thing reminds me of warhawk. Admittedly in superficial ways. I kind of wonder if this will encourage Sony to look at that again, or whether they are just putting all their eggs in Destiny.

Gah. So tempting, but I really don't want to have to deal with discs.

$59.99 from US PSN store. I'm still on the fence about digital vs disc in this case. I tend not to play SP only games more than twice (good and evil campaigns in this case), so having a disc that I can sell later seems like a better option to me.

And who knows, just like Infamous 1 and 2, Second Son could be free on PS plus sometime next year. :)

IMO Killzone Shadow Fall will be the first AAA first party game to be free on Plus for PS4. It's already sold in excess of 2 million which is very good for the somewhat niche KZ series.

Kritz

Banned
Rick and Morty, True Detective, Archer, and Bob's Burgers. These past two days have been godlike for television.

Although I've actually not really cared much for Archer this season.

I'd need a pro controller, because she hates the Wiimote and doesn't find the Gamepad comfy. Anyone know where I can get one of those cheap? Too bad my Waverbird doesn't work with Wii U.
EB has them for $29 preowned.

Pretty sure they were $35 new at some point but stock has been shit for a while now. Haven't seen a good new price for ages.

The 3rd party knockoffs are pretty good, aside from the licensed 3rd party ones with the weird design. They don't even work as a Pro Controller properly.

Odd you link to Game Informer rather than the actual source IGN.

The comments from Rohde have flowed on from the Sony Santa Monica stuff, where they took a project "back to the drawing board" a few times before canning it since it was only early production.

We know they have scrapped and retooled the driving physics multiple times as they haven't been happy enough with how fun it feels to drive. They are aiming for an uncomfortable region between sim and arcade, which means they really need to nail the driving experience. The game has been looking fantastic and better every time media comes out.

The issue seems to be the driving model and the social setup. Both have been discussed when questions about the delays have come up.

In any case the usual suspects seem to think everything is moving along for a release this year, pointing towards after E3.

Cheers. Though it's not listed on their online store nor in the catalogue.
It was posted on OzBargain by the usual guy who gets the catalogues early. It'll show up soon.

Titanfall & Infamous are the big May games.

Tons of indie games hitting PS4 (Towerfall was today, Fez in 2 weeks, a few others this month too) in the next few months.

TPG are doing unlimted ADSL2+ for $39 a month now?

That's pretty impressive.

Edit: NEVERMIND IT'S DODO NOT TPG
My Dodo ADSL2+ is $30 per month with $30 per month phone line.

It's not bad!

Shaneus

Thanks for the reply. The amount of people that have suggested fish tales has been ridiculous. As it stands I was wanting to keep the budget on the cheap side, will just have to keep an eye out.
Yeah, it gets hated on quite a bit (on pinball forums and the occasional podcast) but I have a feeling it was far more popular here than it was in the US. As in, people talk about how it's relatively rare over there. But it's one of the few cheap, high quality "classic" Williams games that can be had for around $2.5k in decent condition if you're lucky. And like I said, it's one of the simpler (but no means shallow, no pun intended) games from the era. But I find that more appealing than something super deep and complicated, a la Twilight Zone or Addams Family.

But yeah, you won't see much change from $2k for any game that has a dot-matrix display. My current white whale is No Fear which is an unpopular but great title that can be had in decent condition for ~$2.5k.

Maybe just scout eBay/Gumtree/forums and see what prices things are going for. Once you get an idea for ballpark prices and find something that fits, virtual-pin it for a while and see. Worst case, if you don't buy stupid you can almost always make your money back on a machine.

Keep an eye out for Data East/Sega machines (the vast majority of licensed games in the 90s were by them). Can almost always be had for cheap and tend to be just as fun as similar Williams games at the time.

We know they have scrapped and retooled the driving physics multiple times as they haven't been happy enough with how fun it feels to drive. They are aiming for an uncomfortable region between sim and arcade, which means they really need to nail the driving experience. The game has been looking fantastic and better every time media comes out.

The issue seems to be the driving model and the social setup. Both have been discussed when questions about the delays have come up.

In any case the usual suspects seem to think everything is moving along for a release this year, pointing towards after E3.
Ged Talbot headed the team for PGR4. All they need to do is make it drive like PGR4. Shouldn't be that hard! Still haven't seen his name mentioned in relation to anything though, despite working for Evo. Very odd.

Also, love that Wii U Pro controller. Been tempted several times to buy one to use on PC. Be great if they could get it working for PS4 with no lag.

hamchan

Fuckin Wolfenstein in May man!

Evil Within in late August.

That's about all I've got.

MGS V: Ground Demo next week.

Watchdogs in May.

Destiny in September.

Also the biggest release for the year later this month Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition.

IMO Killzone Shadow Fall will be the first AAA first party game to be free on Plus for PS4. It's already sold in excess of 2 million which is very good for the somewhat niche KZ series.
Plus it's an internal Sony title so they don't have to pay out another publisher!

Rick and Morty, True Detective, Archer, and Bob's Burgers. These past two days have been godlike for television.

Although I've actually not really cared much for Archer this season.
New Archer tonight was the best since Season 3 easily. Had that old school feel! Lots of great call backs, Archer was an awesome spy and Lana was in his court.

Pretty much everything I want Archer to do! Hope it continues. Rest of the season has ranged from 'eh' to 'shit'.

Ged Talbot headed the team for PGR4. All they need to do is make it drive like PGR4. Shouldn't be that hard! Still haven't seen his name mentioned in relation to anything though, despite working for Evo. Very odd.
They are going for something slightly more sim I expect, due to the focus on high performance cars.

Jintor

finally got around to playing through that Walking Dead 400 Days DLC, was finally in the right mindset. Really enjoyed it actually. Short story format was pretty interesting.

I also liked the first guy I played was an asian dude. need more wei shens in my life

Shaneus

They are going for something slightly more sim I expect, due to the focus on high performance cars.
The focus on social gaming and hooking as many people in as possible has me thinking in the other direction. But we'll see... either way, if it's at least comparable (even distantly) to PGR4, I'll be happy.

So quick q, my birthday is tomorrow and I'm wondering if I do the worlds greatest shave for my birthday if any of you guys would donate? I haven't set up anything on the site yet. I was planning on doing it anyway so yeah.

Edit: that is, shaving my hair. It's fairly long currently

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I will throw money at you, no issues there.

Witcher 3 delayed until next year. Good time for a pc upgrade at the end of this year I guess.

My co-workers and I expect to be out of a job at the end of the financial year because we expect to find out tomorrow that we didn't get funding.

I had been working there for five and a half years between work placement, volunteering while I had another job and then work for the dole, and just recently they applied for funding to employ me.
Just saw this, not sure how I missed it. That sucks big time. Hoping for good news for you today!

Witcher 3 delayed until next year. Good time for a pc upgrade at the end of this year I guess.
Saw that, my first reaction was that now I've got almost a whole year to procrastinate starting The Witcher 2. Oh yeah!

Saw that, my first reaction was that now I've got almost a whole year to procrastinate starting The Witcher 2. Oh yeah!

Hehe, same here. Need to finish Witcher 2 but lack of controller support always holds me back :(

Hey dudes: this is the link to donate for my worlds greatest shave: https://secure.leukaemiafoundation.org.au/registrant/FundraisingPage.aspx?RegistrationID=536184 don't stress if you can't, it's late notice and I know not everyone can afford that shit. I'll post before and after photos after the deed is done!

Nice gesture mega, but I'm very conflicted by various charities and what they do with the donation money.

For instance, $27 to leukemia foundation provides emotional support to one patient, while $10 to WHO or save the children provides clean drinking water to 200 kids for a month! How do you make that choice?

jambo

Where's my new Burnout? Granted, it would be hard to top Burnout Paradise.

jhbioc5.gif

jambo

Yeah I don't know why any Aussies would buy TitanFall, it's going to be a shitshow until Azure gaming servers launch in Australia.

Yeah I don't know why any Aussies would buy TitanFall, it's going to be a shitfest until Azure gaming servers launch in Australia.

People were reporting 250ms during the beta, better off playing Hawken or Planetside or any other game with a shred of worldwide multiplayer competence. You would think Microsoft would have this shit up for all western markets.

Danoss

With the brief mention of building a new PC by cookie, I'm reminded to enquire on that very topic.

My current PC is becoming rather temperamental. Changing much of anything just points me towards building a new PC rather than upgrading anything. LGA1366 and triple channel RAM provide ordinary options, and my 5870 is proving more trouble than it's worth even in an idle state.

I don't game on the PC anymore, but I do edit photos and the occasional video. With this in mind, I don't need a ridiculous graphics card, but I do need a capable one as the GPU is being put to good use in current Adobe applications. I've chosen the 750 Ti as it seems to be the best value when looking at cost/performance/power consumption and having grown tired of AMD driver problems.

Hoping you can critique my choices here and offer suggestions of preferable alternatives.

z2qLrj2.png

Power supply and disc drives have been omitted as they'll be transplanted and have been excellent. Looking for thoughts on a CPU cooler as I don't believe the one I currently have will be compatible with the different socket – it's one of the Noctua beasts.

This my before photo lol:
2qsL4wj.jpg

Nice gesture mega, but I'm very conflicted by various charities and what they do with the donation money.

For instance, $27 to leukemia foundation provides emotional support to one patient, while $10 to WHO or save the children provides clean drinking water to 200 kids for a month! How do you make that choice?

Maybe the money could be better spent by giving water to 200 kids, but who is to say that that one person with leiukaemia shouldn't get support? That said, it's perfectly fine to not donate, it's completely up to you and I won't take offense. A thumbs up or whatever is more than good enough. :)

Where I work didn't get the funding.

The local member is trying to change the decision but he is likely not going to be successful.

Maybe a service with funding will get the lease for the building and continue with clients and staff would reapply. I have hope around this.

jambo

Easy

UloqPmf.jpg

For what its worth Titanfall seems to connect to Japan with a ping of about 140ms. To think I used to play the original Unreal multiplayer on dialup with ~250ms. Those were the days.

CryptiK

With the brief mention of building a new PC by cookie, I'm reminded to enquire on that very topic.

My current PC is becoming rather temperamental. Changing much of anything just points me towards building a new PC rather than upgrading anything. LGA1366 and triple channel RAM provide ordinary options, and my 5870 is proving more trouble than it's worth even in an idle state.

I don't game on the PC anymore, but I do edit photos and the occasional video. With this in mind, I don't need a ridiculous graphics card, but I do need a capable one as the GPU is being put to good use in current Adobe applications. I've chosen the 750 Ti as it seems to be the best value when looking at cost/performance/power consumption and having grown tired of AMD driver problems.

Hoping you can critique my choices here and offer suggestions of preferable alternatives.

z2qLrj2.png

Power supply and disc drives have been omitted as they'll be transplanted and have been excellent. Looking for thoughts on a CPU cooler as I don't believe the one I currently have will be compatible with the different socket – it's one of the Noctua beasts.
What ever you do do not get a WD Green HDD,

senahorse

What ever you do do not get a WD Green HDD,

I used to use one as a data drive for steam games (using a black now) and didn't have a problem with it, a little slower than most but no problem as a secondary drive, I certainly wouldn't run an O.S. off one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom