• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
No man's sky so gorgeous!

Sony wins hands down. Ps now service to launch 31 july (north America) - no console required.

PS tv coming in October. Project Morpheus playable at e3 (hoping it will be at pax aus).

Dead Man

No man's sky so gorgeous!

Sony wins hands down. Ps now service to launch 31 july (north America) - no console required.

PS tv coming in October. Project Morpheus playable at e3 (hoping it will be at pax aus).

Meh, price and performance will determine whether this interests me.

hamchan

I come out of this thinking MS wins, which is weird because I thought their showing wasn't that strong too. At least their conference was games, games, games with some really unexpected exclusives announced.

Pretty bad e3 this year.

Jintor

GB stream was cool

Guess I won't need a ps4 until 2015!

Seems about right. Took me a year to grab WiiU so whatevs.

Definitely trending to grabbing a PS4 before a XBone, which is the reverse of last gen, where I eventually ended up with 360 -> Wii -> PS3. This gen, WiiU -> PS4? -> XB One.

Might not even bother with the latter two though to be honest, depending on how much comes to PC

what a lame-o E3, like 6 games for 2014 that id want and 3 of them are halo. you know shit is bad when you gotta rely on nintendo to deliver.

I come out of this thinking MS wins, which is weird because I thought their showing wasn't that strong too. At least their conference was games, games, games with some really unexpected exclusives announced.

Pretty bad e3 this year.

Content wise, both were on par. But, if you take out Halo remaster from MS and TLOU remaster from Sony, then Sony has the upper hand. I don't consider remaster and HD versions of previously released games as new content.

Also, conference wise Sony was longer and more entertaining. Crowd cheered more. MS conf was very robotic. There's also lots of free stuff like 25 f2p games on PS4, multi plats will be better on PS4, and many big titles like Batman, Destiny etc will have exclusive PS content.

E3 was pretty good cause you know there's a ton of stuff coming out next year, and that's what e3 is for.

Yeah Sony won that easily, even though people had to listen about TV and shit for 15 minutes.

Tons of games, some that didn't even leak! Zomg! That was shocking.

No Man's Land still looks incredible.

Another Suda exclusive is cool, actually looked interesting too.

REMAKE OF GRIM FANDANGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Sony wins just with that. Fucking awesome they are helping to make that happen :)

Far Cry 4 allowing co-op with people who don't even own the game is cool too.

Shaneus

Man I'm so over video game violence. Stuff is just gross.
Yeah, it's definitely far too played out now. The only thing I liked which was violent was the Dead Island 2 trailer... and even then, it was more comical than anything (and incredibly well done, too). Everything else is just tired, boring and gratuitous.

Yeah Sony won that easily, even though people had to listen about TV and shit for 15 minutes.

Tons of games, some that didn't even leak! Zomg! That was shocking.

No Man's Land still looks incredible.

Another Suda exclusive is cool, actually looked interesting too.

REMAKE OF GRIM FANDANGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Sony wins just with that. Fucking awesome they are helping to make that happen :)

Far Cry 4 allowing co-op with people who don't even own the game is cool too.
Pretty much everything I was happy with, although the FC4 stuff is cool it's not something on my radar at all.

One question: From that trailer for NMS (even moreso now), does it look to anyone else basically like the indie equivalent of Star Citizen? Because to me it does, and as a result, infinitely more appealing. Someone should make a Star Control title with that engine.

Dryk

Sony conference had more things that I hope come to PC one day, and I've only read the cliffnotes. So they're winning in my eyes

Jintor

Wasn't in the conf, that was just early prototype stuff. Is there a new one? Sony are putting up a ton of trailers and reveals at the moment (like a reboot of Ratchet & Clank on PS4 by Insomniac).

Yeah, I looked it up and it's just prototype stuff. Ea's prototype videos are actually kind of impressive, but it's just a blind to conceal the fact that they don't have any games to show yet lol (well those games anyway)

That last 45 minutes of the Sony conference was incredibly boring.

the gifs will be worth it

gif_write_da7a82.gif

gif_write_1b27d8.gif

gif_write_69dd981.gif

lexi

Banned
So I see the Australia tax has now been applied to Witcher 3. Apparently you can get a GOG Credit to compensate the difference if you buy it from gog.com?

First of all, yay a fucking credit to buy Microprose games from the 90s, second of all What's the logic in that? They themselves are making the game!!

Gazunta

It's so they can keep the Australian distributors / printers / retailers / managers / advertisers / whatever happy, because keeping these people happy is worth your money.

So I see the Australia tax has now been applied to Witcher 3. Apparently you can get a GOG Credit to compensate the difference if you buy it from gog.com?

First of all, yay a fucking credit to buy Microprose games from the 90s, second of all What's the logic in that? They themselves are making the game!!

Suck my dick Australia, I bought it @ 20% off the US price a few days ago.

hamchan

Content wise, both were on par. But, if you take out Halo remaster from MS and TLOU remaster from Sony, then Sony has the upper hand. I don't consider remaster and HD versions of previously released games as new content.

Also, conference wise Sony was longer and more entertaining. Crowd cheered more. MS conf was very robotic. There's also lots of free stuff like 25 f2p games on PS4, multi plats will be better on PS4, and many big titles like Batman, Destiny etc will have exclusive PS content.

E3 was pretty good cause you know there's a ton of stuff coming out next year, and that's what e3 is for.

Well I just disagree with most of this. I don't see why Sony will suddenly have the upper hand if you don't count the HD remasters. I never counted them as new content anyways, I was mainly looking at Microsoft announcing a new Phantom Dust, a new Crackdown and exclusive Scalebound.

That tells me Microsoft is now willing to go after much more risky and niche properties, opening up their wallets to do so, which I appreciate. Sony also did well BloodBorne and Grim Fandango remake, but I wouldn't say that gives them the upper hand.

Conference wise I thought Sony was incredibly boring in the second half, after having a strong start. They brought a bunch of TV and Movie bullshit that no one cares about, an MGSV trailer I saw yesterday, trailers for TLOU and GTA remasters because hooray more HD remasters, and an Uncharted 4 teaser trailer which doesn't tell us anything substantial. The crowd cheers are mostly paid for by the companies, so I wouldn't use that as a positive for either of them.

F2P stuff, multiplats, I will play all of those much better on PC, so for me personally I don't care about that stuff for PS4. Exclusive console DLC always turns out rubbish, so I don't care about that too.

What I got out of this e3 is that 2014 will be an awful year, with 2015 being better, so don't bother getting excited now, get excited at e3 2015.

Shaneus

It's a publisher thing or something. They're very much the good guys though, I remember with Witcher 2 they were incredibly loose with how one could select the region they were located (not locking it to IP or anything, just "trusting" we would select the right country). I'd be surprised if they didn't take the same path with their other new titles, like W3 and Cyberpunk 2077*.

*Oh god, I want this game so bad.

lexi

Banned
'It's a publisher thing' - They ARE the publisher!

Valve games are the same price in America and Australia, they're fast becoming the last company to actually fucking do this. RAGEEEEEE

Shaneus

'It's a publisher thing' - They ARE the publisher!

Valve games are the same price in America and Australia, they're fast becoming the last company to actually fucking do this. RAGEEEEEE
Alright, but why is regional pricing needed for those (only 3 so far!) newer games then?

First of all, you have to be aware of an important fact when it comes to newer games: GOG.com cannot really decide what the prices should be. Top-tier developers and publishers usually have contractual obligations with their retail partners that oblige them to offer the game at the same price digitally and in retail. When they don’t have such contractual obligations, they are still encouraged to do so, or else their games might not get any exposure on the shelves in your favorite shops. This will change over time (as digital sales should overtake retail sales in the near future), but as of today, this is still a problem our industry is facing because retail is a big chunk of revenue and there’s nothing GOG.com can do to change that. We need to charge the recommended retail price for the boxed copies of the games in order for developers (or publishers) to either not get sued or at least get their games visible on shelves. You may recall that our sister company CD Projekt RED got sued for that in the past and we don’t want our partners to suffer from that too.
http://www.gog.com/news/letter_from_the_md_about_regional_pricing

Shaneus

BULL FUCKING SHIT.

Who the fuck buys PC games at EB? Fucking nobody. It's 99% digital.
Change the region on GOG to not be Australia, then. At least they're not IP-blocking a la GMG.

Or pirate it if you despise their practices that much. DRM-free and all that.

Gazunta

EB sells a surprising* number of PC games

At least when I worked in that side of the business, which was 2 years ago now

I agree that it's bullshit. As I said above, they believe that keeping these people happy is worth your money

Tommy DJ

The only thing I know is that I bought The Witcher 3 on Steam because screw $10 shovel-ware vouchers. I had a quick look and there's barely anything worthwhile at that price.

lexi

Banned
Change the region on GOG to not be Australia, then. At least they're not IP-blocking a la GMG.

Or pirate it if you despise their practices that much. DRM-free and all that.

I'll give this a go -- when the game is released. I'm not pre-ordering a game that comes out in 9 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom