• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
BG1 is like generic D&D which is fine but is probably a bit old and the tropes have been beaten to death in every Bioware game since.

BG2 has an amazing villain and some cool plane hopping stuff.

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Tommy DJ

If we're talking about how badly AD&D works in a video game, you need to look no further than magic in Baldur's Gate 2. I'm not sure which edition introduced needing trinkets to cast spells but Baldur's Gate 2 has none of that. The later parts of the game becomes a game of flinging certain combinations of spells around.

I recently played BG2 again and the gameplay has aged extremely badly.

Rizzi

I was playing it, but got distracted by The Wolf Among Us.
Speaking of, I got half way through the fourth episode, and now all my choices say "This choice is blank."
Which is great.

These lips are sealed.

Jeez actually having a spell choice at the start of BG2 is already making it more tolerable.

It still feels super silly to have a party of 4 people surrounding this imp creature and swinging and missing twice in a row. Like, I get that "missing" in the engine is also supposed to be modelling strikes that do not do damage, but it looks pretty dumb.

Frawdder

2nd non annual Radgaf meetup official list thingy (had to steal that Dead Man :p)

Where:
The elephant. Off Rundle St, Adelaide.

When:
September 20th 2014

Who:

Going-
Dead Man
Lucian Cat
Mr Tone
Jambo

Maybe-
Dryk
Vormund

Join us peeps. I'm looking at you, Frawwder, anyone else I've missed.
Yes, I am in.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
No one playing Divinity: Original Sin?
Did you miss my post earlier in the thread about it? I've had the game since Launch and I FUCKING LOVE the game.. in fact after I clean up the kitchen I might play some more now.
If we're talking about how badly AD&D works in a video game, you need to look no further than magic in Baldur's Gate 2. I'm not sure which edition introduced needing trinkets to cast spells but Baldur's Gate 2 has none of that. The later parts of the game becomes a game of flinging certain combinations of spells around.

I recently played BG2 again and the gameplay has aged extremely badly.
No it hasn't.

Games like Temple of Elemental Evil is where it's at for implementation of AD&D though.

People are complaining about Apes with guns? How is that a new thing in a franchise called Planet of the Apes? They'd lose their shit at some of the stuff in Planet of the Apes (1968)
apes lobotomizing humans, castrating them, dissecting them, etc

Did you miss my post earlier in the thread about it? I've had the game since Launch and I FUCKING LOVE the game..

Yeah I guess, I'll start playing once the Destiny beta gets over.

People are complaining about Apes with guns? How is that a new thing in a franchise called Planet of the Apes? They'd lose their shit at some of the stuff in Planet of the Apes (1968)
apes lobotomizing humans, castrating them, dissecting them, etc

I know, right? I had to explain to my friend that apes have opposable thumbs.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
2 weeks off work started today. Woo!

Lots of ideas and things I want to actually do, No traveling though :(

Is ass creed pirates worth $20 from amazon or should I wait for a 75% off sale ?

Given the exorbitant local price, that pretty much is 75% off. :p

I haven't gotten that far into it yet, but the general consensus is that it's a blast. I guess if you hate the series this won't change your mind.

The only complaint I have so far is that I could kill and skin a boar, but I couldn't kill a turtle. Lame!

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
2nd non annual Radgaf meetup official list thingy (had to steal that Dead Man :p)

Where:
The elephant. Off Rundle St, Adelaide.

When:
September 20th 2014

Who:

Going-
Dead Man
Lucian Cat
Mr Tone
Jambo
Frawdder

Maybe-
Dryk
Vormund

Join us peeps

didn't drop to a cheap enough price :(
Buy/Sell/Trade has it for under $20 most days

I was playing it, but got distracted by The Wolf Among Us.
Speaking of, I got half way through the fourth episode, and now all my choices say "This choice is blank."
Which is great.
Oh man that sucks. I was lucky enough to have TWD Season 1 gifted to me on Steam back in the day and I had a few real bad glitches in the second episode that shitted me off so much that I had to drop it. Telltales response pissed me off as well, it was basically "lol deal with it". They never patch their shit, just move onto the next episode/series/port.

I finished the second ep last night on Vita. Thankfully glitch free! The benefit of it being the 5th or 6th SKU I guess.

It was really good.

I had to explain to my friend that apes have opposable thumbs.
lol wut

Did he seriously not know that?!?

Is ass creed pirates worth $20 from amazon or should I wait for a 75% off sale ?
I think so! Check out my write up from last year here.

The only complaint I have so far is that I could kill and skin a boar, but I couldn't kill a turtle. Lame!
They had to cut that out to get the MA rating :(

Tommy DJ

No it hasn't.

Games like Temple of Elemental Evil is where it's at for implementation of AD&D though.

It definitely has. The character movement is very slow and impacted by the horrible pathing AI, the UI is still needlessly verbose, and the AD&D 2nd Edition ruleset is not intuitive at all. Even with a lot of experience with all manner of Infinity Engine games that were published by Interplay, I still get frustrated when a character doesn't move how I want them to move.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It definitely has. The character movement is very slow and impacted by the horrible pathing AI, the UI is still needlessly verbose, and the AD&D 2nd Edition ruleset is not intuitive at all. Even with a lot of experience with all manner of Infinity Engine games that were published by Interplay, I still get frustrated when a character doesn't move how I want them to move.

Sure those things you mention kind of suck but they don't detract from the fact that there isn't a other modern party-based rpg with RTWP combat that offers the depth and scale of content that BG2 offers, hours of strategic combat with awesome spell effects, excellent art direction, the storytelling, the dungeon design, high-number of companions with quality writing, side content that could be packaged into it's own game or expansion pack etc. To say the game has dated when everything about the game that is quality about the game has still yet to be surpassed is silly, although I object strongly to the term "dated" as a descriptor so :p

Anyway, the closest thing the game has gotten to a successor is Dragon Age which is pretty average compared to BG2 or even BG1 to some extent with laughable generic fantasy writing, lack of enemy variety, terrible sidequests, weak dungeons.. only improvement it offers is I guess a better interface, no AD&D messiness and better path-finding.

Maybe Pillars of Eternity will be that BG2 successor.

We talked about this once didn't we hue hue

enhanced-16711-1403056428-1.jpg

Sadly taken from buzzfeed which took it from tumblr

Goddamn if you can get 4 people in the same place Sportsfriends is amazing fun. Hokra is my favourite. Amazing that you can get so invested in squares, dots and lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom