• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Forza wasn't a grind*, Forza is now a grind.
GT6 was a grind, GT6 remains a grind.

Why not demand something better from Polyphony/Sony, if people really dislike the grind in that game?

One question I do have...just what the content on disc for GT6 is like? lack of content plus heavy and in your face (free to play style) micro seems to be the thing thats riled folks with Forza.

One question I do have...just what the content on disc for GT6 is like?
I read in the thread that they'll be apparently releasing some new cars frequently. Whether they're free or inexpensive or 1,000 races need to be run, I don't really know.

I would suspect GT6 might be Sony dipping their toes in the microtransaction water a bit further, whereas Microsoft seems to have swum out to sea.

lexi

Banned
Going to see if I can get that $199 Vita with Tearaway from Big W this Saturday, would make a lovely Christmas present.

Forza wasn't a grind*, Forza is now a grind.
GT6 was a grind, GT6 remains a grind.

Why not demand something better from Polyphony/Sony, if people really dislike the grind in that game?

*IMO Forza was just as bad as GT but other people seem to think one was better than the other and I'm not really a racing fan.
I wouldn't say GT5 wasn't much more of a grind than Forza in terms of earning enough money to buy the cars, so we agree in that respect! GT5 was an improvement in that regard compared to GT4.

I would also say that most people I know who buy the GT games are accepting of the grind in these games, at least at the rate before this generation (I can't say 100% that Forza has fucked this ratio up as most articles haven't been in depth enough for me to state it as fact until I get my own X1).

One question I do have...just what the content on disc for GT6 is like? lack of content plus heavy and in your face (free to play style) micro seems to be the thing thats riled folks with Forza.
Yeah the combo of less cars, less tracks, day one DLC, tons of DLC already lined up which includes already scanned cars from last gen and the regular pop up of BUY CREDITS WITH REAL MONEY MEOWWWW is what has pissed people off.

I'm all for publishers finding ways to keep making AAA retail console games as long as they don't leap too far into 'taking the piss' territory.

Going to see if I can get that $199 Vita with Tearaway from Big W this Saturday, would make a lovely Christmas present.

Mannnnnnnnnn Tearaway is fucking fantastic. So simple but crafted to perfection.

Just in general though the Vita is god tier. It just does everything so well, despite the segregated app like nature of the features.

Also fuck LCD. The OLED is just nomnomnom worthy every time I turn the damn thing on.

Started Spelunky on it last night. So good to buy the game through the webstore on my PC, have it download instantly to my Vita and jump right into a game.
I can see myself losing so much time to this game. Perfect to pick up and play.

Uncharted is breathtaking at times, even for a launch Vita game. It really is close to the console versions in a lot of aspects, with the visual quality only a step or two behind the first title. Dat fabric quality.

Resume works really well. Insanely well to multitask. Doesn't seem to eat much battery while in sleep mode either. Had it in the cupboard asleep for 3 days and it still had 90% of its battery.

Jintor

Fucking ebay vita charge cable hasn't showed up. Was supposed to have shipped on the 22nd. Just realised it cos I finished Zelda and was thinking about busting out the Vita, but nope.

unwritt3n

Banned
Hi fellow AusGAFers. Not sure if bugs or general lag. In regards to Xbox Live and Xbox One.

I've played 4 MP matches in total. 2x in Forza, 1x Ryse, 1x Killer Instinct.
The first Forza MP match was flawless, but was only 3 people.
2nd one had around 10. Cars were jumping up and down, or driving upside down. My gameplay was smooth and not jumpy, but cars were flying all over the place around me. Not sure if all other clients witness the same thing.
Ryse was OK, but here and there, the other guy I was playing coop with was rubber-banding across the map a few times.
Killer instinct was smooth, but at least 5 times during the fight, it either paused for a few seconds, or had extreme lag for a few seconds that made it render to like 2fps.

What are your experiences with Live so far?
I'm on a 8Mb ADSL1 Telstra connection (only thing I can get), but speeds are pretty good. Speedtest on Telstra Melbourne server:
7.63Mb/s Download
0.32Mb/s Upload
Ping 14

^Almost maxing out my connection.

I did the test again on a server in Seattle, USA
6.33Mb/s Download
0.31Mb/s Upload
Ping 154

^Pretty good for an international connection.

I ran the detailed network stats within the Network settings of Xbox Live

3.32Mb/s Download
Ping 264

^Not that great at all. Xbox One has a static IP and the Xbox Live ports are all forwarded. NAT type = Open.
Can you guys please post your network stat results from your Xbone, would like to compare. Also what connection you are on, and perhaps a speedtest result to compare. Perhaps even a non-junior member start a thread to collect this info?

Even though I'm on ADSL1, never had issues with my Internet. As I connect to a roadside cabinet RIM/CMUX about <5m from my house.
eg: torrent downloads usually around ~800kBp/s
Steam/Origin downloads ~1Mbp/s

I have my Xbone location set to USA to use the IR blaster "Xbox On" command. I thought this would be the reason for the high ping, I set back to Australia and rebooted, ran again, similar results. Now these 300,000 XBL servers they claim, any of these hosted in Australia? My ping suggest otherwise. Would be good to know if it's just me.

Cheers

Hi fellow AusGAFers. Not sure if bugs or general lag. In regards to Xbox Live and Xbox One.

I haven't played online with mine much, I'm having dramas with my ISP to get the NAT settings of strict and my internet sucks at the best of times anyway.
But my experience has been pretty good. I have had one car driving 10m above the track in Forza, KI has been slow to find matches (assuming that's my impossible to change NAT) and I've only done one Ryse game which was fine until the other dude dropped out/quit.

I haven't played online with mine much, I'm having dramas with my ISP to get the NAT settings of strict and my internet sucks at the best of times anyway.
But my experience has been pretty good. I have had one car driving 10m above the track in Forza, KI has been slow to find matches (assuming that's my impossible to change NAT) and I've only done one Ryse game which was fine until the other dude dropped out/quit.
Isn't the NAT more related to port forwarding on your router? I remember there was a specific port or series of ports that used to help people getting "strict" on their PS3/360s.

Isn't the NAT more related to port forwarding on your router? I remember there was a specific port or series of ports that used to help people getting "strict" on their PS3/360s.

Yeah I've done that and it hasn't worked. Apparently the next step is seeing if the ISP has blocked them.
Or I've just ballsed it up. Which is pretty likely. Almost 100% at a guess

A lot of people are having major troubles getting X1 to play nice with their internet here for some reason. Noticed it quite a bit on Twitter.

PM Major Nelson or Penello!

lexi

Banned
Yeah I've done that and it hasn't worked. Apparently the next step is seeing if the ISP has blocked them.
Or I've just ballsed it up. Which is pretty likely. Almost 100% at a guess

I remember reading that Xbox One doesn't like IPv6. Maybe that's what is happening here?

A lot of people are having major troubles getting X1 to play nice with their internet here for some reason. Noticed it quite a bit on Twitter.

PM Major Nelson or Penello!

I remember reading that Xbox One doesn't like IPv6. Maybe that's what is happening here?

I've just noticed the One needs extra UDP ports forwarded than the 360. So I'll have to try that. IPv6 could be a problem but I have no idea what that means or how I deal with it. So.....yeah. Penello/Nelson might be the next step.

Edit: Pretty sure I had dramas with it constantly being Strict on 360 as well and just accepted it.

Deeku

It broke. The plastic bit between the plug and the cable snapped and there's lotsa wires showing through.
i have a feeling mine's breaking too...i think it comes from playing the vita while charged for long periods cos that part of the plug is constantly being bent. psp was better

posting here for posterity

first half of secret santa:
3FbMxV4.jpg

it's from thinkgeek!

tRFqdAO.jpg

aw yiss it's almost like you knew i loved cats. it's rad

i know what the other part is cause of the invoice, but i'll keep you guys guessing

markot

Banned
Speaking of parcellage.

My stupid arse parcel from Amazone has been stuck in NJ for almost a week cause of stupid arse US customs.

My stupid arse parcel from Amazone has been stuck in NJ for almost a week cause of stupid arse US customs.
My big order of hops is waiting in LA! I wonder if customs here is going to be interested in it.

Also, hops are from the same family as marijuana.

Gazunta

The AmA turned out to not be a huge mistake. Some nice people
and Shaneus
asked some good questions, I was able to point a few heads towards what I'm working on at the moment, and nobody asked me how much I hate David Spade.

A LOT

Got Spelunky on Vita with some of my Good Guys refund. The controls are so amazing using the dpad, I regret picking it up on PC. Ended up playing about an hour never progressing past the 3rd level lol. Fucking bats

Is that Bugbear or someone else? I think I just wound up buying Motorhead and RRT4 which did me.

Nah it was made by Cellius, the joint venture between NAMCO and Sony headed up by Ken Kutaragi.

Yes that's right, Ken Kutaragi.

It's basically a tech demo along the lines of GT HD with a ton of DLC to buy. I think there are 5 cars in the game? No arcade mode, no story mode. Just single races against AI or online.

The core mechanics are fun, visuals are nice and music is tasty but there is nothing really here to see.

$10 from Good Guys almost seems like too much.

5/5 - Kritz.cell.net

Nah it was made by Cellius, the joint venture between NAMCO and Sony headed up by Ken Kutaragi.

Yes that's right, Ken Kutaragi.

It's basically a tech demo along the lines of GT HD with a ton of DLC to buy. I think there are 5 cars in the game? No arcade mode, no story mode. Just single races against AI or online.

The core mechanics are fun, visuals are nice and music is tasty but there is nothing really here to see.

$10 from Good Guys almost seems like too much.

5/5 - Kritz.cell.net

Indeed, it is quite disappointing after the fan-fucking-tastic PSP games that had content exploding out of every orifice. With the DL packs it's better, but still pretty damn underwhelming.

I should look into NFS Most Wanted on Vita, meant to be pretty good I think.

^^^ Will do

Should I get Spelunky or Guacameele for Vita? Both are the same price.

Bought Spelunky when it was $9.30 yesterday. I can see it consuming a ton of time now that the daily challenges are patched it. Runs like a dream!

I haven't touched Guacameele yet, got it for free through PS+! It's a Metroid-vania game whereas Spelunky is more of a rougelike. It's still free if you have PS+ in PAL areas.

Both are meant to be must haves for the Vita!

Bought Spelunky when it was $9.30 yesterday. I can see it consuming a ton of time now that the daily challenges are patched it. Runs like a dream!

I haven't touched Guacameele yet, got it for free through PS+! It's a Metroid-vania game whereas Spelunky is more of a rougelike. It's still free if you have PS+ in PAL areas.

Both are meant to be must haves for the Vita!

Friend invite sent!

Guess I won't be buying Spelunky because it's not on sale anymore, those bastards. Might pick up Guac for my impending trip to Japan.

Vita peeps!

First two tiles up the top should be for free downloads of Gun Commando and Mononoke Slashdown

Also Flow is now YOPO if it wasn't already. Listed in the store update for Vita so nfi.

Also for PS4 peeps the store update this week brought BBC News, BBC Sports, VidZone (whatever that is) and QuickFlix apps.

Also PSP peeps got a new game released this week, PES2014 lol go go PSP!

Quasar

Also for PS4 peeps the store update this week brought BBC News, BBC Sports, VidZone (whatever that is) and QuickFlix apps.

Also PSP peeps got a new game released this week, PES2014 lol go go PSP!

I wonder if any local press has asked the abc if the have gotten off their arse yet re PS4 iView. Also...is foxtel staying exclusive on consoles to MS.

Fogz

The AmA turned out to not be a huge mistake. Some nice people
and Shaneus
asked some good questions, I was able to point a few heads towards what I'm working on at the moment, and nobody asked me how much I hate David Spade.

A LOT

You also made me watch a video of Double Dragon C64 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom