• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: the ones in the ebay photo look slightly different to mine, and mine do go over my ears, not on...
Yeah, I didn't realise until after I'd posted that there were even a different on-ear set of those. I thought they were the over-ear ones. Ah well, still seems a decent price, but I've passed.

r1chard

The term Headphones is derived from two words: Head and Phon. The term phon is a unit of loudness. Therefore, headphones are designed to deliver a unit of loudness specifically for delivery into the head. The term speaker - shortened from the term loudspeaker - is a device designed to deliver sound to a level that can be hear by numerous people, much like an orator (i.e. speaker).
5 points to Griffyndor.

I've had a dying HDD do that. Check your SMART status thing? Could also be some dodgy background app going haywire. Use msconfig to disable startup apps and see if it still does it.

Just ran HD Tune Pro on it, Error Scan shows nothing. Not sure what it could be, no more crap running than usual >_<

Might just be Chrome being a prick. Hard to know if something is conflicting in it.

Can someone recommend me a decent SSD. I don't need a huge one. Not sure what brands are good these days. My Crucial that was 3 years old died hard but I imagine the technology is heaps better now.

Tommy DJ

SSD brands? Samsung, Samsung, and Samsung. Pretty much the only brand out there that hasn't suffered from catastrophic firmware issues (Intel, goddamn Crucial, Sandforce based solutions) or use of poor quality flash memory (OCZ).

If you they're too expensive and have to compromise, the really cheap SanDisks are reputed to be OK. But the Samsung's are very, very price competitive on the market.

Sandisk are generally the cheapest and have great reviews, they pop up pretty regularly. I linked a 1TB one the other day from Crucial I think that had great reviews too.

legend166

So I'm thinking about getting a 2 bay NAS and just chucking two 2TB drives in and not worrying about redundancy in the device, and just backing up important stuff (photos mainly) on an external drive. If I lose the movies/TV shows I'll just re-rip them.

Bad idea?

Quasar

So I'm thinking about getting a 2 bay NAS and just chucking two 2TB drives in and not worrying about redundancy in the device, and just backing up important stuff (photos mainly) on an external drive. If I lose the movies/TV shows I'll just re-rip them.

Bad idea?

I dunno. I have several 2TB drives in my pc just to hold media. They've chugged along fine. Not had any catastrophic hdd fails. The time to rerip everything if such a thing happens though would have me screaming.

jambo

The CSGO afternoon crew

aKxdST2.jpg

Cleaning up early

Steam rolling them at this point

They got a few rounds back, but we still had a nice strong win

Evening match was a lot closer, was basically round for round

But we edged it out towards the end

Bonus for Fnatic fans

I'm gonna play with you guys tomorrow night probably! Pretty keen.

My Logitech G230s got processed in Sunshine at 5:05 on a Sunday? Is that common? Hopefully they'll be here tomorrow and I can ditch my broken Krakens

Darren870

Bad idea?

Why not just avoid the hassle and set up redundancy? I have 2 3TB drives in mine with a mirroring RAID set up. Saves me any hassle.

I'll upgrade in a year or two once they become closer to getting filled. Least I never have to worry.

Anyway.

Went to true south brewery over the weekend. Was impressed with the beer and the food.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Legend, Why not just go 3 bay and add a form of redundancy? It's not like HDDs are expensive these days, They are damn cheap.

Buy some of the WD Reds, which are "designed" for NASs and go from there.

You could of course build your own raid setup, Instead of buying say a synology, get a HP micro and go from there.

There's plenty of options around. Just all depends on what you want. Redundancy in some form is at least a must in my opinion.

Fredescu

Bad idea?

Sorry, I should have answered the original question too.

I think your idea is fine since you have your important stuff in two places. Consider cloud backups as a third "offsite storage" option.

Fredescu

Do what I did a month or two ago, bought a new one. Least my media was still there once it came.

Fair enough. As long as your RAID is hardware independent. Personally I think not having RAID at all is better for home use, but I've ranted about that in this thread a lot so it's probably getting a bit tiring.

Went to true south brewery over the weekend. Was impressed with the beer and the food.
It's a nice place, definitely. A bit disappointed that they're moving the brewery offsite (so they can expand the restaurant).

What's your recovery plan if the NAS/controller dies rather than the disks?
Many NAS devices now have 'hybrid RAID', which is really just software 'RAID' (quotes because it doesn't need to rebuild the array should it fail as it's not actually RAID), and the disks are formatted as ext3 or similar. So, if the NAS dies, you can use anything that can read ext3 to recover your data.

Darren870

Fair enough. As long as your RAID is hardware independent. Personally I think not having RAID at all is better for home use, but I've ranted about that in this thread a lot so it's probably getting a bit tiring.

Yes it is.

Why do you feel that though? I am interested.
Once I get a place of my own I plan on doing a bigger setup, but what I have now is fine enough for me

We've discussed it a bit before and Fred and I share a similar opinion on it. In an enterprise environment, RAID makes a lot of sense, because you not only want the performance (or redundancy, or both) but you also have the hardware to back it up, and if things fail catastrophically you'll have a backup elsewhere if you're at all sensible and replacing the controller card is no big deal as it'll be under a support agreement or you'll just pay for it.

At home, you don't have all these advantages unless you're extremely committed, so a more flexible setup (like the Hybrid RAID I mentioned above) is a better option.

Fredescu

In the server world, RAID is awesome because you don't have to bring your system down to replace a dead disk. In a business, server down time is money. In order for RAID to work well, you really need easy access to common parts like RAID controllers and backplanes. Server gear has (much) longer lifecycles and is made to higher standards, so it is much more expensive. It's worth it though because the business depends on it.

For the home user, uptime isn't nearly as important as keeping your data. If you can't access your photos for a few days, you're not losing any money. You also don't have people on your payroll to look after your home data. So the for the home user, low cost, simplicity and ease of recovery are much higher priorities than uptime.

Low cost means that your home NAS might have some limited run RAID chip in it. If you're running hardware RAID and the NAS dies and you can't source an exact replacement, goodbye data.

Ease of recovery in the case of a home RAID array is difficult too. Even if you manage to source a replacement NAS, that was harder than it should have been. The home user is much better served by having their data stored in a format that can be read by as high a number of devices as possible, like a disk formatted in ext3 or NTFS. For this reason, I wouldn't choose software RAID either, although the kind of fake RAID that cods talks about sounds ok.

For some home users, RAID offers a false sense of security. I mentioned the expense to a business of server based RAID, but they also have expensive daily backups too. A lot of home users treat their NAS as a single backup source, which only ends in tears. That's not really a fault of RAID itself, just something to keep in mind. The redundancy in RAID is primarily for uptime, it is not a backup solution.

So I was kind of thinking about selling off some of my old gaming shit. I just have too much stuff and my shoe box apartment is bursting.

I've got a Dreamcast with a bunch of games, Gamecube, NES games, hell I'm pretty sure I have 2 Saturns hanging about somewhere. Got some good import Japanese stuff too like a Wonderswan and DC Sea Man etc. If there's anything specific anyone here is seeking let me know because I'd be prepared to part with this stuff for very reasonable prices!

Gazunta

Yeah, that's a totally fair assessment. I've only got 60-80GB of data I *need* to keep safe, everything else is safely archived or can be reacquired.

By the way have I mentioned I have a new hobby? It's called publicly tempting fate. It's awesome! And the best part is, I can keep doing it all the time and nothing bad will ever happen to me!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
So I was kind of thinking about selling off some of my old gaming shit. I just have too much stuff and my shoe box apartment is bursting.

I've got a Dreamcast with a bunch of games, Gamecube, NES games, hell I'm pretty sure I have 2 Saturns hanging about somewhere. Got some good import Japanese stuff too like a Wonderswan and DC Sea Man etc. If there's anything specific anyone here is seeking let me know because I'd be prepared to part with this stuff for very reasonable prices!

I'd be keen to have a look at your gcn collection! Do you have any 64 games?

And wonderswan crystal or colour?

I'd be keen to have a look at your gcn collection! Do you have any 64 games?

And wonderswan crystal or colour?

My Cube collection is pretty dire. I've got Viewtiful Joe 2, Killer 7, MK Double Dash... and a copy of F-Zero GX that I'm not parting with. hehe.

The Wonderswan is at my parents place in a box, so I need to check what I actually have with it!

I also have wayyyyy too many PSP UMD games, including some Japanese games I picked up on my travels.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Think i'm going to try a low-carb diet, Something like atkins. I will need to combine it with food that also isn't high in fructose! That should be fun.

Lets see if I can shed some skin for summer.

Think i'm going to try a low-carb diet, Something like atkins. I will need to combine it with food that also isn't high in fructose! That should be fun.

Lets see if I can shed some skin for summer.

Cut sugars and wheat and you're golden. With that said, unless you stick with it going forward you'll just pile on the kilos again once you fall back into you're old ways.

Maybe have a read of this http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869633

Hey rep, any idea what's the best (i mean the cheapest) place to pick up Diablo 3 UE tomorrow in-store?

Made up my mind at the last minute and now I want it to keep me busy till Destiny releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom