• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure if I'd have much use for the Good Guy's gift card but now there's a $16 copy of Pokemon Y coming my way so I think I've come out ahead.

markot

Banned
Yeah, if only they came out more often.

And if only i had a charge cable :(

Ive got like 3 Nintendo portable system charge cables.

3!

And they all work.

Bam.

Take that.

Vita is the worst handheld since the gamegears.

Oh wait, I forgot about the PSP! But thats everybody ever cause its so forgettable!

And I bet at least 2 of those come from you buying different versions of the same product.

Well played! You teach us good bout being awesome consumer!

Vita is the worst handheld since the gamegears.

Oh wait, I forgot about the PSP! But thats everybody ever cause its so forgettable!

Hey, don't you be shit talking the PSP triple Hitler. That one actually built a decent library for itself despite its problems. More than any other non-Nintendo handheld system since ever, it actually made a case for owning it alongside the DS.

It's pretty telling that a lot of people that like the Vita are all "well I never had a PSP so there's games for me to catch up on."

Hey, don't you be shit talking the PSP triple Hitler. That one actually built a decent library for itself despite its problems. More than any other non-Nintendo handheld system since ever, it actually made a case for owning it alongside the DS.

It's pretty telling that a lot of people that like the Vita are all "well I never had a PSP so there's games for me to catch up on."

Does Crisis Core run on Vita? Bought the Crisis Core PSP bundle back in the day :)

Also Vita doesn't run Burnout Legends so that theory makes me sad :(

Vita has a ton of games. Plenty of variety too. Western games! Woo!

Does Crisis Core run on Vita? Bought the Crisis Core PSP bundle back in the day :)

Also Vita doesn't run Burnout Legends so that theory makes me sad :(

Vita has a ton of games. Plenty of variety too. Western games! Woo!

Don't think so. Both it and Birth by Sleep are caught with licensing problems I believe (VII: CC with Gackt, BbS with Disney).

3d world, Windwaker HD, Pokemon Y, Zelda Link between worlds.

Which 2 should I buy?

Pokemon Y and Link Between Worlds are the best games amongst those.

3D World is pretty good but I don't know if it's Mario burnout or what but I didn't like it as much as other people seem to. Wind Waker HD is pretty much still just Wind Waker; a good but occasionally uneven because of its rushed nature Zelda game. The artstyle holds up very well though.

A Link Between Worlds gives a nice twist to the top down Zelda formula with the item rental system meaning you can pretty much just wander the world and take the dungeons in any order. It's a bit easy though so the "lose rented items if you die" part of the system isn't as much of a consequence as it's supposed to be. Pretty much perfectly paced, always moving forward.

Pokemon is Pokemon. There are some things that shake up the mechanics a little (a new type adds a little more to the matchups, and Mega Evolutions are a neat new battle mechanic) and the production is overhauled with proper models for battles, and the relatively smaller amount of new Pokemon mean there's better overall representation of them throughout the game, but it's ultimately the same sort of thing as always. A good turn based RPG with exploration and monster catching.

Decided just to grab 3d World for now since my handheld plate is full with Pokemon Black 2, Tearaway, Killzone etc al.

Hope this $6 Mario game is strong enough as a single player experience. Fucking sick of MP focused Nintendo games.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
@omi / reptile - can you guys link your spotify 2013 lists again.

@Cods, what were those headphones you suggested? the IEMs?

Hope this $6 Mario game is strong enough as a single player experience. Fucking sick of MP focused Nintendo games.

I don't think the MP negatively affects the Mario games that have it too much. They've said pretty much since they started doing them that the focus was still on making it fun for one person first and foremost and I'd largely believe it. I played NSMBWii mostly by myself and really enjoyed it, NSMB2 mostly with my brother and enjoyed it too. They're different kinds of experiences available in the same games.

Based on playing 3D World by myself and then replaying the first few worlds with my brother the only way I could really see that the multiplayer affected the design was in areas being a little wider to accommodate extra characters. If there's anything wrong with the game it's not from the added multiplayer.

Deeku

I think i'll go get Bravely Default today, even though I really shouldn't since I'm drowning in portable games atm

@omi / reptile - can you guys link your spotify 2013 lists again.
Here!

I don't think the MP negatively affects the Mario games that have it too much. They've said pretty much since they started doing them that the focus was still on making it fun for one person first and foremost and I'd largely believe it. I played NSMBWii mostly by myself and really enjoyed it, NSMB2 mostly with my brother and enjoyed it too. They're different kinds of experiences available in the same games.

Based on playing 3D World by myself and then replaying the first few worlds with my brother the only way I could really see that the multiplayer affected the design was in areas being a little wider to accommodate extra characters. If there's anything wrong with the game it's not from the added multiplayer.
Sweet! Thanks for the impressions. I was starting to regret not grabbing Pokemon Y but I'm really keen to love Mario again, the Galaxy games are the only ones I've outright loved 5/5 style since the SNES/GB days.

Sweet! Thanks for the impressions. I was starting to regret not grabbing Pokemon Y but I'm really keen to love Mario again, the Galaxy games are the only ones I've outright loved 5/5 style since the SNES/GB days.

No worries.

I don't think the 3D Land/World games are as good as the Galaxy titles, but they're definitely interesting in their own right. The formula - short, platform-focused stages - is basically 2D Mario in 3D in a way that no other has been and is probably both their greatest strength and weakness. It makes for more tight, focused design than the "big playgrounds with some objectives spattered throughout" style of 64 and Sunshine but in that also loses some of the spectacle of 'hey, I'm playing a big 3D Mario game!' and the presentation tends to lean a bit more heavily on the old tropes than some of the spectacle of other 3D Marios.

I think both 3D Land and 3D World have a bit of that Wind Waker syndrome where Nintendo are feeling pressured to push the game out to support a flagging system and you can feel where they've had to compromise a little (3D Land more than World) but they're solid bases and fun enough in their own right.

Game of Thrones: Season 3 Blu-ray pre-order is $27 at Big W

Everything from their blu ray / dvd sale is on backorder

Got 6 bd movies for 40 bucks but gotta wait a week for pickup. :(

Man of Steel
Pacific Rim
Django Unchained
District 9
Terminator 2 skynet edition
Fast and Furious 6 (for a friends bday next week)

Missed out on Daniel Craig 3in1 bond collection, 300, avengers and gladiator. :/

markot

Banned

Man of Steel
Pacific Rim
Django Unchained
District 9

Missed out on Daniel Craig 3in1 bond collection, 300, avengers and gladiator. :/

good taste dr no taste

No worries.

I don't think the 3D Land/World games are as good as the Galaxy titles, but they're definitely interesting in their own right. The formula - short, platform-focused stages - is basically 2D Mario in 3D in a way that no other has been and is probably both their greatest strength and weakness. It makes for more tight, focused design than the "big playgrounds with some objectives spattered throughout" style of 64 and Sunshine but in that also loses some of the spectacle of 'hey, I'm playing a big 3D Mario game!' and the presentation tends to lean a bit more heavily on the old tropes than some of the spectacle of other 3D Marios.

I think both 3D Land and 3D World have a bit of that Wind Waker syndrome where Nintendo are feeling pressured to push the game out to support a flagging system and you can feel where they've had to compromise a little (3D Land more than World) but they're solid bases and fun enough in their own right.
I started up the first level and it seems fun enough, I like the multiple pathways but despise the time limit. I like to explore at my own pace :)

At this price point any complaints in design I have will be easy to stomach, compared to previous titles which included the Nintendo tax. Even NSMBU for $35 had me irritated! I'm not into 2D stage design though so the strength of Nintendo games are lost on me for the most part.

Man of Steel
Pacific Rim
Django Unchained
District 9

Damn youuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I was too hungover this morning to get in early :(

If anyone from Geelong/Melb grabs and extra copy of Skyfall or Pacific Rim let me know! Need the Skyfall disc for the Bond 50 collection :)

Someone recommend a bunch of must plays for PSP. any genre

GTA Liberty city stories
GTA Vice city stories
Virtua Tennis 3
God of War chains of olympus
God of War ghost of sparta
Burnout Legends
Tekken Dark Resurrection
Midnight club 3 dub editon
Daxter
Ratchet & clank
MGS Portable Ops
MGS Peacewalker
Loco roco 1 and 2

markot

Banned
GTA Liberty city stories
GTA Vice city stories
Virtua Tennis 3
God of War chains of olympus
God of War ghost of sparta
Burnout Legends
Tekken Dark Resurrection
Midnight club 3 dub editon
Daxter
Ratchet & clank
MGS Portable Ops
MGS Peacewalker
Loco roco 1 and 2

good taste dr no taste

If anyone from Geelong/Melb grabs and extra copy of Skyfall or Pacific Rim let me know! Need the Skyfall disc for the Bond 50 collection :)

Skyfall is out of stock. Pacific rim is available for $8.50 but you can click and collect only for orders above $40, delivery is $5.

Can't even add another copy of Pacific Rim to my order.

Can I add or delete items from my order once I have completed the order?

Unfortunately, you cannot amend an order after it is placed. If we are able to stop the order from being despatched we will cancel your existing order and place a new order on your behalf. Please contact the Customer Service Centre on 1300 244 999 for assistance.

hamchan

DJ MAX 1,2, Clazziquai, Black Square
Final Fantasy Tactics
Jeanne D'arc
Lumines
Mega Man Powered Up
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
Metal Gear Acid 2
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Monster Hunter
Patapon
Disgaea 1,2
Persona 2,3
Hatsune Miku Project Diva 1,2
Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
Ys: Oath in Felghana, Ys Seven
Corpse Party

Originals
Burnout Legends (technically a "best of" content in the B3 style but whatevs)
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
Goku Makaimura Kai (Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins)
Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva 1/2/Extend
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Metal Gear Ac!d/2/Portable Ops/Peace Walker
Ridge Racer 2

Remakes/Ports
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
Gitaroo Man Lives!
Mega Man Powered Up
Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X
PaRappa the Rapper
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

Licensed Stuff You Might Like if You Like the License
All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation 2
Macross Ultimate/Triangle Frontier

vanty

I got the Breaking Bad collection online at like 6:30 then went to the store at 8 to see what they had and the Breaking Bad collection was right there so I could have had it straight away and without the $5 shipping but better safe than sorry.

Quite a lot of people at the store, maybe some had even lined up since I was there at like 8:03 and already half a dozen people at the counter. Some guy had a basket and was throwing some new movie in there every 5 seconds ahah.

The Star Wars and LOTR Extended complete collections seemed to be the most popular things apart from kids CGI movies, I know they had a bunch of them in stock and all gone within a few minutes of opening.

Fogz

Man of Steel
Pacific Rim
Django Unchained
District 9

I walked around pretty late today not expecting much but grabbed Pacific Rim and Great Escape. Just couldn't bring myself to buy Man of Steel!

8.png

Bioshock Infinite steamkey for $8 with GFDDEC20 coupon
Tomb Raider steamkey for $8 with GMG20-CV2W4-DSYBT coupon
Sid Meier's Pirates! for 99c on iPad
Infinity Blade 2 on iOS for free
Gears of War: Judgment on 360 for $18 click&collect at Harvey Norman
JB Hifi has a ton of Kinect games for $10 each. Kinect Sports comes with 3 months of Xbox Live Gold remember!
Sydney Taronga Zoo $14.95 for Kids & $29.95 for Adults on 14th of December, kids under 4 are free, special Christmas event at the Zoo until 8:30pm

I should do a mini-review on it soon. Lots of reasons I love stuff in PR that others rag on.

Anyway, here's my Good Guys haul.

All $10, aside from 3D World which was only $6 as I made a total of 3 orders, 2 of which were only partially filled so they gave me 2x $40 gift cards :)
Still got Halo 4 and Killzone 3 in transit which should arrive on Monday. Pretty fucking awesome deal in the end, especially with the cheap Mario.
Best sale since the GAME clearance 4 years ago, without a doubt.

ALSO

Here's a photo I took down the beach some time recently. Really like it.

Our son was picking up handfuls of wet sand and dropping small pieces of it in a trail as we walked along the beach so we could find our way back, Hansel & Gretel style. So cute :)

Big ass bandaid is from a cat attack. Wife didn't notice it until they were hanging up the washing outside and there was blood dripping from his face. Apparently he was trying to share his apple with the cat, who didn't take kindly to having it shoved in its face lol

Dope shorts

I liked Pacific Rim! Basically a B-movie with A-movie budget.

That's a common sentiment and I know it was successfully fun for lots of people but it fell flat for me. A star who shouldn't be a star, fake Australians, ununoffensive hamminess. Was hoping to find it a fun b-movie esque experience for me too but it was not to be.
I haven't seen either yet and the Blurays were like half the price of a cinema ticket each so I feel like I've profited.

That's a good deal.

I haven't bought a bluray in ages. Been to the cinema eighteen times this year though lol

That's a common sentiment and I know it was successfully fun for lots of people but it fell flat for me.
Oh yeah, there was tons of problems with it. I didn't care for the lead, the Australian character portrayal bordered on embarrassing, the plot wasn't great, pacing was iffy, probably more but it's been a while. I still enjoyed it anyway. I had pretty low expectations so maybe that's why I enjoyed it.

I just wanna go back to playing Far Cry 3.

Danoss

Time to catch up on the thread and...

I take more offence to South Park being in there than Bob's Burgers. I mean it doesn't deserve to be there either, but Bob's Burgers isn't that good. It's OK, made better because H Jon Benjamin is awesome

Anus! Anus! Anus! C'mon everyone!

ANUS! ANUS! ANUS!

Seeing Pacific Rim and Man of Steel once was enough. (
or more than enough
)

Man of Steel Wool I can understand. Superman is the most bland superhero of all and I have no interest in watching it. Kryptonite is the only thing able to hinder him, remnants of his planet from an incredibly long way away, and as rare and hard to find as it is in our solar system, the supplies never seem to run out and it's there to thwart him at every turn. Next thing the world will switch to currency made exclusively from kryptonite, but I'm sure that story arc has already occurred.

Pacific Rim on the other hand was immensely enjoyable, albeit with the right mindset going in. Want to see robots fighting aliens? Great! Want a deep storyline with interesting characters? Not so much.

Del Toro is great at what he does and I'm sure he knew that the script was weak in a number of areas, but that's not why people will want to see it. The man made Pan's Labyrinth and Devil's Backbone, he's not playing in the same muck as talentless hacks like M Night Shyamalan. I just wish he was able to make At the Mountains of Madness, I have no doubts it would be amazing; the guy knows his Lovecraft and has the imagination and skills to make it happen.

Silly response from me on subjective things, like whatever you want to like. I just wanted to contribute a little, and everyone else is talking about video games. I played the first session of our Iron Kingdoms RPG campaign today and had a blast doing so. My Trollkin character mostly just intimidated people merely by standing in their vicinity, which was humourous in its own right. Trollkin are considered to be quite large by human folk, this one is considered large by other Trolls. Only one person had the balls to goad me by insulting my people and pointing to a rotting corpse of one of them they had on a pole after torturing and killing him. He wouldn't have done so if he didn't have 20 of his men behind him with a loaded chaingun at the ready. I look forward to meeting him under different circumstances soon.

Fortunately, I was able to unleash some of the pent up aggression on the next person to stand between me, my party and justice. One of my associates held his pistol to one such persons head as encouragement, after a couple of others were subdued, to have his men stand down and cease blocking us from getting to their boss who was intimidating and threatening a young woman and her terminally ill father. They obliged. That didn't stop me from punching the one nearest me, shattering his jaw and knocking him out before he hit the floor on my way past. He's lucky I pulled the punch or today would have been his last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom