• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Yea, the Brit ones were like every 3-6 months! Went to a bunch when I was there, always a blast. Never went to any NY ones, dates never worked out.

I debated trying to organise a Germangaf meetup when I was there last month but I got too nervous haha. None of them would know me anyway. Except Trab

Darren870

I debated trying to organise a Germangaf meetup when I was there last month but I got too nervous haha. None of them would know me anyway. Except Trab

Haha, probably weirdest thing would have been the language barrier. Unless of course you speak German. You want to be able to pick and flow through conversations, but its not as easy if everyone else is speaking another language besides the conversation you are in.

At least that's what I'd think..

Usually most gaffers are pretty normal. Least the ones that come out to meet ups.

Jintor

I was pleasantly surprised by the AusGAF meetup at AusPAX last year. Pity Antiwhippy couldn't make it, not that he hangs out here.

Though Shan being I think the only girl there was still like 'goddamnit video games'

markot

Banned
Damn Lucian, hope you don't hear from him ever again :(

I'd love the first 2 games but already own the last 3 so I'll leave it for Stackboy.

Awesome giveaway though!

WELCOME TO THE GREATEST HANDHELD GAMING DEVICE OF ALL TIME

xjPi6Th.gif
Does time have a different meaning in your little world? Like does it go slower? Is it 1454?

Mr. Tone

That lasted all of 5 weeks until the dude went crazy on me and I had to call the cops fearing my safety. I'm back in the barossa.

Debated getting a hotel but I'm not so rich after my holiday

You've had a heckuva run with bfs, huh. If you end up needing somewhere to crash I've got a mystery futon.

senahorse

Providing the biggest hint yet that Netflix is preparing to launch locally, the US-based company has secured exclusive Australian subscription video on-demand rights to the highly anticipated superhero television series Gotham.
The US streaming giant, which has not launched its platform in Australia, looks to be building its arsenal ahead of a rumoured launch in 2015.
By acquiring subscription video on-demand (SVOD) rights from Time Warner's Warner Bros, Netflix is giving its biggest sign yet that it intends to launch in Australia.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...ies-gotham-20140917-10i1j6.html#ixzz3DY3NJmUV

While I am sure it will be a rocky road to a good service here, I can already taste the salt from foxtel and quickflix.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Haha, probably weirdest thing would have been the language barrier. Unless of course you speak German. You want to be able to pick and flow through conversations, but its not as easy if everyone else is speaking another language besides the conversation you are in.

At least that's what I'd think..

Usually most gaffers are pretty normal. Least the ones that come out to meet ups.

I speak very very little. Bufbaf on here was my translator (and new squeeze) and taxi. Driving on the wrong side of the road was terrifying at first ;__;

You've had a heckuva run with bfs, huh. If you end up needing somewhere to crash I've got a mystery futon.

It's actually ridiculous the amount of bad luck I have. If this one doesn't work out I'm going celibate or lesbian

Quasar

While I am sure it will be a rocky road to a good service here, I can already taste the salt from foxtel and quickflix.

And whilst I can understand why, I really wish content folks would not sell exclusive rights. All it does is fucks over customers. Of course I feel the same way about videogames and third party (true) exclusives.

Darren870

I speak very very little. Bufbaf on here was my translator (and new squeeze) and taxi. Driving on the wrong side of the road was terrifying at first ;__;

After being here for 6 months I still put on the windshield wipers instead of the blinkers!! It drives me crazy and the missus laughs every time.

Driving on the other side doesn't bother me too much. I just have a little song I sing every time to remind me. "This is Australia and we Drive on the Left, Drive on the Left! This is Australia and cars come at you on the right! Come at you on the Right!"

For some reason though you guys swapped the wipers and blinkers. I guess it makes sense, but the UK didn't, nor any car in Europe, and of course same with the US. Just you guys though...

I was pleasantly surprised by the AusGAF meetup at AusPAX last year. Pity Antiwhippy couldn't make it, not that he hangs out here.

Though Shan being I think the only girl there was still like 'goddamnit video games'
Goddamn that Korean BBQ joint was fantastic. Damn good food.

Yeah this year my wife will probably tag along to drinks/eats since we will be in town all weekend. Hope a few more partners come along too!

I need a bigger memory card for this vita.
8GB is not enough.
Stupid expensive proprietary storage..
YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO

u68LjR9.gif

Usually runs about USD$90 posted. I'll look around tonight or ask in the PSN Vita thread!

Yeah that's showing their hand 100% paying for Australian rights. It's onnnnnnnnnnnn.

They paid an absolute fuckton of money for the rights in the US. Insane money considering it hasn't even aired yet!

markot

Banned
The micro sd card for my 3ds cost so much. And it's bad cause theres too many great 3ds games that fill it so fast.

And Nintendo's stopped making good games for it cause it's such a great console.

Gazunta

Jintor said:
The best part of the AusPAX AusGAF dinner was me drunkenly telling Gazunta to draw something, and Gazunta was so fucking drunk a year later he still can't remember what the hell he was meant to draw
WHOOPS

You should really see Plinkett's review of the Star Wars prequels on Red Letter Media, which is fantastic.

I haven't seen Boyhood yet though I have every intention of watching it eventually.

I've started watching the first review a few times but never made it far.

Share your thoughts when you do!

I didn't like it. Cool that they shot bits of a movie over a long period of time but I was bored fucking shitless through it.

Was odd since I love his Before trilogy and even Scanner Darkly!

Really? I find that weird you like Before and not Boyhood cause to me it just seems like an extension of the Before Series. The Befores are poetic depictions and discussions of love while Boyhood is taking that to the next level and is existential. (through mainly the lens of childhood and adolescence but more general discussion of life is there too)

I don't know, I think the problem with the Before Series and Boyhood is you have to have a similar perspective on life and experiences as Linklater. It makes them more enjoyable, hearing these people in the film discuss things in a similar tone to how you view love and life. As well as the honest (while still somewhat idealised lol) portrayal of romance/growing up, great acting, well written dialogue etc etc. long takes, well framed shots.

Two interesting movies i watched on the plane ride home (itunes rentals)

Frank
This is the one with Michael Fassbender wearing the funny head. The first half is like a grungier version of a Wes Anderson film and the second has more feels about mental illness. Worth a watch.

Tim's Vermeer
This is a doco directed by Teller, narrated by Penn about the guy whose company invented the video toaster and Lightwave, and his obsession with trying to work out how the 17th century Dutch painter Vermeer may have used a form of camera obscura in his work. It drags slightly in the second half but it well worth watching if you've ever held an interest in art history.

Good to hear. I've been wanting to see Frank for a fair while. I'm pretty sure I saw a trailer for Tim's Vermeer a while back and thought it looked interesting but I probably would have forgotten about it without this so thanks lol

Fredescu

For some reason though you guys swapped the wipers and blinkers. I guess it makes sense, but the UK didn't, nor any car in Europe, and of course same with the US. Just you guys though...

It varies from car to car. Generally cars from Japan are one way around and cars from Europe are the other way around. It can vary within the same maker even. Fords designed in Europe like Mondeo and Focus are one way around, while Australian designed Falcon and Territory are the other way around.

Rizzi

Goddamn that Korean BBQ joint was fantastic. Damn good food.

Yeah this year my wife will probably tag along to drinks/eats since we will be in town all weekend. Hope a few more partners come along too!

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO

u68LjR9.gif

Usually runs about USD$90 posted. I'll look around tonight or ask in the PSN Vita thread!

Yeah that's showing their hand 100% paying for Australian rights. It's onnnnnnnnnnnn.

They paid an absolute fuckton of money for the rights in the US. Insane money considering it hasn't even aired yet!

I don't think I'd ever need a 64 GB memory card though.

Darren870

It varies from car to car. Generally cars from Japan are one way around and cars from Europe are the other way around. It can vary within the same maker even. Fords designed in Europe like Mondeo and Focus are one way around, while Australian designed Falcon and Territory are the other way around.

AHhhh

I have a Commodore and Suzuki, both are on the "other" side.

The more you know!!

Gazunta

No
Bodyboarder
Banana
jambo
Darren870

Probably Not

Kritz

Yes
Shaneus
reptilescorpio
Dimefan3
MTE
Clipper
Vormund
hidys
Marshmellow
Jables
Gazunta

BOOM BOOM GO SHAKE THE ROOM

I have a fair bit to hack through, a machete would really make my life easier. Also I do adventure riding which sometimes requires creating new tracks to get from point a to b, so a machete would also be handy in that regard.

I got one from ebay last year. It was a display piece, but you can buy all sorts of melee weapons online as long as you get a $25 annual subscription to your states Collectors guild.

I wanted one in case I ever ran into markot in real life.

Totally justified reason.

Why are you guys so weirded out by a machete? Too much Friday the 13th for you guys.

Heightened terror alert by the PM. Also, machete seems to be the weapon of choice in case you're planning to rob a maccas store.

I met up with VitaCola, Milchjon and Gustav in Germany last year. All in separate cities though. Plus Kabouter in Amsterdam.

No wonder, all the terribad mods are friends. :p

I don't think I'd ever need a 64 GB memory card though.

When you buy the 32 GB one, you will realize you should have bought the 64 GB instead.

Realtalk: Was going to introduce myself to Ausgaf at PAX but saw you guys were playing Fortune and Glory and assumed you guys had no taste. This thread vindicates me every day :) .

Rahk

Realtalk: Was going to introduce myself to Ausgaf at PAX but saw you guys were playing Fortune and Glory and assumed you guys had no taste. This thread vindicates me every day :) .
I think Arnie picked that game because he wanted to find the biggest piece of shit game to make us suffer.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

I was so close to missing out on the AC panel.

I Would have killed you two for your seats if i did :(.

it was my highlight. mycat likes to play with tortimer

hidys

I've started watching the first review a few times but never made it far.

Share your thoughts when you do!

I have now seen Boyhood.

I doubt I'll end up seeing a better film this year. It's crazy to think how many things could have gone wrong in the making of it and yet it all comes together.

Everytime you guys praise the Vita I feel like im in Russia during stalin times reading propaganda straight up.

I really like Persona 4.

Hey, did they alter the sliding mechanic in Mario Kart 8? Because the last MK I played was DS and I could never figure out how to get a boost to happen, like, ever. I gave up playing on Rainbow Road. With this game, it suddenly clicked... And it's fun?

This is a strange feeling.

hidys

Hey, did they alter the sliding mechanic in Mario Kart 8? Because the last MK I played was DS and I could never figure out how to get a boost to happen, like, ever. I gave up playing on Rainbow Road. With this game, it suddenly clicked... And it's fun?

Mario Kart 8 is probably the best Mario kart to come out in a really long time.

Shaneus

They probably took a few nods from Sonic Transformed. And understandably so.

Note: I haven't played a Mario Kart game in yonks.

Yeah sliding is super easy in MK8. They distilled a lot of the game and made the core really solid, even if stuff like Battle Mode suffered :(

It's the most perfect casual pickup and play for kids game they've made in years. Everyone loves half an hour with it.

I remember having to wiggle left and right during a slide to get a boost. I could never get it to work. Now it's like slide into a turn for long enough and you get a boost. The different carts let you calibrate how responsive it is too, which is helpful.

The only thing I don't think I understand are flying controls.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I remember having to wiggle left and right during a slide to get a boost. I could never get it to work. Now it's like slide into a turn for long enough and you get a boost. The different carts let you calibrate how responsive it is too, which is helpful.

The only thing I don't think I understand are flying controls.

push forward to nose dive and gain a bit of speed, pull back to go higher but lose a bit of speed.

i think you lose / gain speed. i've never tested.

but yes.

MK8 is amazing and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom