• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the recommendations. I've only seen Parks here and there when it was on channel 7 and I thought it was pretty good. I'll have to watch Sherlock too.

Even though I've seen Luther already, the lack of Luther recommendations makes me sad. Watch Luther!

I watched I think the first 3 seasons and I just came to the realisation that this is just nonsense and I didn't care about it. Wanted to like it but ehhhh just couldn't for some reason :(

Nonsense is exactly what it is. Weird that you'd decide to give up at the end of Season 3, it closes pretty strongly. Mac Is A Serial Killer -> The Gang Dances Their Asses Off is a stretch of A+ episodes

Hey Gazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Microsoft Surface Touch Cover for $70 :)

Gears of War Juddment will be $15 at Target from tomorrow

Bunch of $9 games at EB

Thanks guys, audit went through pretty well and should have the results by next week.
Yay! Hope it comes through with happy stickers on it :)

I watched I think the first 3 seasons and I just came to the realisation that this is just nonsense and I didn't care about it. Wanted to like it but ehhhh just couldn't for some reason :(

Feel the same way about The League too sadly :(

Both shows have some piss yourself laughing moments though. The highs are great, but come with some real middling lows.

Speaking of packaging, one of my Good Guy games yesterday. Due to the size of the "package" - 20cm wide by 12cm high and slightly more wide, roughly approximating a ballish shape than it was rectangular - and no clear branding, I had no idea what it was. Underneath the outer, plain brown paper wrapping was a... ball of bubble wrap, multiple layers deep. Hidden under all of this was I found a smaller brown paper parcel. Taking off this layer of paper, I found more bubble wrap, multiple layers deep, once more. After discarding all of that, I was left with a 3DS game.

I have no idea what the person was thinking when they wrapped it. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather businesses over wrap that under, but I can only assume the person doing so either had no idea what they were doing or knew exactly what they were doing.

mandiller

Well the abc still hasn't bothered with a ps3 app, and still haven't even put out a android app. They are slow as fuck in terms of providing iView apps. Now I've heard that their desire to move from flash over to completely html5 has slowed things like the android app right down.

I'm also kind of surprised no local games press have asked the abc about ps4/xbone iview support.

I've just spoken with the manager of iView and she says they're in discussion with Sony and Microsoft regarding the PS4 and Xbox One at the moment. But she says there's no timetable to announce just yet.

So my educated guess would be that apps for PS4 and Xbox One will be coming, but don't look for them to appear soon.

Kritz

Banned
I'm in a weird spot looking through the games I've played this year, because I think DOTA 2 is my game of the year.

Fire alarms went nuts in my building and I'm standing outside the building waiting for the fire department to give us the all clear. It's probably a bit below zero. I'm wondering whether I saved the game I was playing.

back in side. fuck that was cold.

bobot

Neo Member
Oh, that reminds me. Got the NES-style skin for my PS4 yesterday.

All I need is a PS4.

:(

Okay, that is all kinds of awesome, where where where do i get one?

EDIT: Also got to show my 77 year old father the future of gaming today. Toilet play. LOL

Gazunta

Good thing your 3DS arrived just in time Clive!

Rep thanks for the heads up on the Surface keyboard - my big problem now is that everywhere seems to be not stocking / sold out of the 256GB model noooooo :(

jambo

Thanks Kritz for finding me a No Man's Sky wallpaper

hMXq15U.png

Manax

Just wanted to say that I watched the genius season 2 ep 1 last night and I was literally fist pumping the air in bed and yelling ooooooooh at 2 am because that show is the real deal. Perfect setup and tension great scenarios and psychology. Thanks to the gaffer for the link (and the translation?)

Looking forward to going back and watching season one now.

I don't think you can store money in a text file Jambo
try a bank

I was literally fist pumping the air in bed and yelling ooooooooh at 2 am because that show is the real deal.

lol I like your style
I liked the part where
the person up for elimination didn't get eliminated and the other person did

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I don't think you can store money in a text file Jambo
try a bank

lol I like your style
I liked the part where
the person up for elimination didn't get eliminated and the other person did

my favourite part was during the first card trade with the watchers.

the music build up and drop, for no reason.

so good lol

Having recently figured out how to get Netflix working I'm struggling to find anything to watch. When I start it up I'm accosted by a sea of B-movies that I had no idea existed.

My friend put me onto House of Cards but I don't really feel like watching that atm. Checked out Orange Is The New Black and it's ok, I guess. I'm looking for a show or two to gorge myself on over the next few weeks. Already seen all the usual suspects (Breaking Bad, Dexter, everything on HBO even though there is no HBO) and whatever has been on TV here. Anything I might not have seen? I don't want anything too drama-y

Supernatural
The Amazing Spiderman (really awesome)

Shaneus

Okay, that is all kinds of awesome, where where where do i get one?
There are two places to get them... there's decalgirl or something, but the fonts look all wonky and weird:

The one I ordered has proper looking logos and doesn't look like shit (and is half the price, no less):
(quoting again for comparison)
From here.
Delivery was super snappy, too. Not sure when I first mentioned it in this thread, but couldn't have been much more than a week or two ago.

Dead Man

Yeah, I know some of you don't like politics, but I'm posting these in here anyway.

Gay asylum seekers told they could be reported to PNG police, Amnesty says

Gay asylum seekers on Manus island are being told they will be reported to the PNG police if they engage in homosexual relations while in detention, a new report by Amnesty International says.

The report is the second damning assessment of the government's offshore detention regime in less than a month, and identifies “a host” of human rights violations in Australia’s regional processing centre in Papua New Guinea.

It raises serious concerns about the treatment of gay asylum seekers who have been told by the most senior Australian immigration official on the island, Renate Croker, that if any sexual relations occur they would automatically be reported to the local police, the report claims.

“It is not clear what her statements are based on, as the [PNG] Criminal Code does not require mandatory reporting,” the report says.

Homosexuality is illegal in PNG.

One asylum seeker, “Alex” told Amnesty, “We have no support for our emotional problems. I’d like to have a boyfriend, to talk about the future with, to share my feelings with, but I’m too scared. All I want is a couple of hours to be together without attracting attention.”

Alex told Amnesty that some gay men have been bullied by staff and detainees and a number of gay men had returned to their country of origin as a result.

Manus Island detention centre inhuman, violates prohibition against torture: Amnesty International

Manus Island's detention centre has been described as cruel, inhuman, degrading and violating prohibitions against torture in a detailed report by Amnesty International.

The centre has been notoriously difficult for journalists to access since it reopened last year, but three Amnesty researchers and translators were allowed into Manus Island for a week last month.

The report, obtained exclusively by the ABC's 7.30 program, paints a very dark picture of life in the centre for the roughly 1,100 men currently detained at three compounds on the island.

The most extraordinary claim in Amnesty's report is that drinking water in the largest compound, called Oscar, is limited to less than half a litre a day.

"In the largest compound... water is supplied through 19-litre bottles," the report said.

"A dozen bottles a day for nearly 500 men, according to the staff who supply them, or less than a single 500ml bottle per person, an amount that is clearly insufficient, especially given the heat and humidity."

Amnesty researcher Graeme McGregor visited Manus Island and says health staff at the centre are worried.

"That's an extremely concerning problem and it's something that was raised by the health staff as well," he said.

"The men spend several hours a day - some reported four4 to five hours a day - queuing for meals and for the toilets and things like that.

"They have absolutely no shelter or shade outside and of course you're talking about a tropical island, so the temperature can reach up to 35 degrees. It's extremely humid."
Manus Island medical staff worried about state of facilities

The report also claims toilet facilities lack even the most basic services like soap.

"Most of the latrines had no soap when we inspected them... there are too few showers and toilets to accommodate the number of men in the facility resulting in... unhygienic conditions," the report said.

Emily Rogers is too smart to work at Nintendo.

Also wooo! My $90 memory card arrived, time to hoard games lol
20131211_221559y3u3l.jpg

Also got my last 2 Good Guys games. Killzone 3 and Halo 4, which was obviously the last copy they had in Australia as it was put in a random case with no cover or instruction manual lol
pic_shot_138674333118t4umd.jpg

For $10 I ain't complaining!

Also HOLY SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Halo 4 looks amazing, especially the cut scenes.
Score ranges from amazeballs to odd.
Plays more like Metroid/Half Life/Doom 3 than typical Halo, which is really really interesting to me.
Although it still retains some of the Halo style AI and level design.
Love the open design areas though. The pacing is perfect through them, you end up coming across 99% of interesting stuff in a level just because of top notch design, very little need to pixel hunt or backtrack so far.
fHTAtah.jpg

Also Cortana now looks like Jessica Chobot. At least, a fuckload more than she did in Mass Effect 3. That was an abomination.
OH ALSO
The levels look amazing. Can't imagine how MIND BLOWING they would look on PC with proper, high res textures. Almost a tragedy that the amazing art and set design has to wallow on 2005 hardware :(

You would love it 0mi :)

Half a litre of water a day? No fucking way we will get through this summer without someone dying :(

Dryk

I made the mistake of reading the comments on the ABC Facebook page re: Manus. I'm fucking done with this country of selfish fucks. If I read one more person saying that its okay because our conditions are marginally better than the third-world hellhole they fled from I'm going to lose it.

I swear if my research ever goes anywhere important I'm packing it up and finding a country that deserves it. I feel like I'm getting to a point where I just can't contribute to the GDP of this country in good conscience anymore.

I made the mistake of reading the comments on the ABC Facebook page re: Manus. I'm fucking done with this country of selfish fucks. If I read one more person saying that its okay because our conditions are marginally better than the third-world hellhole they fled from I'm going to lose it.
Yeah, I added them on FB for the news but honestly whatever the topic there is just a wave of horrible jerks replying. Sometimes I feel like I live in a fluffy bubble.

Half a litre of water a day? No fucking way we will get through this summer without someone dying :(

Don't even wanna think about that... :(

Jintor

On a far lighter and more insignificant note, why do christmas beetles have such severely deranged navigation systems anyway?

Dryk

On a far lighter and more insignificant note, why do christmas beetles have such severely deranged navigation systems anyway?
Every time I go outside there's a bunch just lying around upside down, even the ones the right way up don't react when you poke them. It's a wonder that they've made it this far.

bobot

Neo Member
The one I ordered has proper looking logos and doesn't look like shit (and is half the price, no less):

(quoting again for comparison)
From here.
Delivery was super snappy, too. Not sure when I first mentioned it in this thread, but couldn't have been much more than a week or two ago.

Cheers bro, will order ASAP :D

Yo rep, can I steal that 14 day Gold code? Is there a good Gold freebie or two on right now?
Sure I'll PM it tonight. Not sure if it will bestow you Gold status though, as the 24 hour ones don't let you take advantage of the free games and discounts.
Since its a week though the chances are high.

For anyone else that got Bravely Default -> Toast
This is my Nintendo ID 3239-3583-6255 | Marshmellow | Australia

Game thus far has been played for 30 minutes, I love the combat system the art style and the voice-overs are really solid. Cant wait to sink a tonne of time into this one.

Gazunta

Jesus guys slow down it's hard to keep up with this thread

What's everyone's plans for the Christmas break?

Does it suck to have a work Christmas party on not the last day of work so you have to go back to work after drunkenly telling everyone what you really think of them?

Does the holiday break usually end up meaning non-stop tech support for family?

If anyone has any recommendations for text adventures I'm all ears. Preferably single room ones since I hate walking around and getting lost.

Fuck, everywhere is really not selling 256GB Surface Pro 2s any more, huh.

What should I have for lunch?

Video game music on Spotify! I want to be recommended some to add to the office playlist.

Defiant Development's Kickstarter is so close to reaching its target, and Auran's Kickstarter just passed the 100% mark, yay Australian devs, yay Queensland devs :) And you should also back this Super Mario Kart type game being made in Townsville! If this guy reaches a super stretch goal he's going to put a real koala in a go kart and teach it how to drive. Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom