• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar

Is Pinfest worth travelling for? Is that the one where I saw footage of you playing opposite-handed? If so, that's probably a "yes" (if it goes for more than one day/night).

It really surprises me how dry pinball is here compared to Sydney. Huge number of leagues that seem to have been going for a while, and there's really only one solid one here in Melbourne (that started earlier this year, the Peacock Inn one).

I wonder if prices are any different as well? Nate's recent C2C had me seriously thinking about a TZ, despite having never played one. Opinions?

Pinfest was 2 days of playing about 50 pinball machines. It was pretty awesome, but at the same time if you could only play during the normal times you never got to play properly. There were far too many people and lining up just to play a single game then having to move on was a bit of a chore. However, as long as you are registered in the tournament, then you get to have a better thrash. There's talk of having a 'shut in' time at the next one where registered players can just play the machines without the general public tying them up, which will be great.

Twilight Zone is a great machine. There's one here in my home town but I've only played it a couple of times to be honest. The lure of friends and the games at the Courthouse keep me going back there 99% of the time. But what I have played of TZ I've really enjoyed. Getting the power ball is always really cool and having to adjust to a ball that flies around the machine like it's on ice is something you won't experience in anything else. I'd say if you can find one at a decent price you should jump on it. I'd be surprised if anyone doesn't like it.

bobot

Neo Member
Right?!

I wonder how much of a roll on effect this will have for Australia. Already, Bluescope have come out and stated they stand to loose about $33 million a year in revenue..

It's not going to be pretty. And this is the start not the end

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
More awesome than dinner and a movie with my girlfriend?
Yes
YES.

beers, schnitzels and ADVENTURE.

!!!!!!!!!

How could you say no to that!

I've almost finished a week of nursing placement and have loved every minute of it. I felt like a real nurse stabbing peeps with needles and drugging them :'D
I made that sound more brutal/epic than it was but it was great fun regardless. Learnt sooooo much!

Shaneus

lol that was funny Shaneus. GoPro's?
Yeah, I was asking about 'em. Um... yeah.

Also, dawww.

Pinfest was 2 days of playing about 50 pinball machines. It was pretty awesome, but at the same time if you could only play during the normal times you never got to play properly. There were far too many people and lining up just to play a single game then having to move on was a bit of a chore. However, as long as you are registered in the tournament, then you get to have a better thrash. There's talk of having a 'shut in' time at the next one where registered players can just play the machines without the general public tying them up, which will be great.
Nice. Sounds like I might head up for a trip!

Twilight Zone is a great machine. There's one here in my home town but I've only played it a couple of times to be honest. The lure of friends and the games at the Courthouse keep me going back there 99% of the time. But what I have played of TZ I've really enjoyed. Getting the power ball is always really cool and having to adjust to a ball that flies around the machine like it's on ice is something you won't experience in anything else. I'd say if you can find one at a decent price you should jump on it. I'd be surprised if anyone doesn't like it.
Shame that "decent price" doesn't seem to be a thing around here. It's getting passed in for $6k on eBay from what I can tell... and I can't actually see one that's sold ever. So I think for my budget (as in, as low as possible) I should set my sights on something far, far lower. There's a Demolition Man in Melbourne for only $2,200 which I have to say is damn tempting for a SuperPin.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sony Christmas party was a small affair at Transit, but free booze and food make for good times.

I need a coffee.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Did they hand out those Legend of Dragoon 2 demo discs they had sitting around the place? Probably should do something with them at this point.

Only beer and food. Seems like they knew better.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just arrived in Brisbane!

There's something awe-inspiring about being in a new state/city that's only marginally different from your own.

them curtains

dem drapes

Friday! Woo!
Humble Bundle Weekly.
Zeno Clash 1&2, Dwarfs!?! and Killing Floor for $1. First time Killing Floor has been that cheap.

I gotta stop buying games that I never play and then get heartbroken when they end up being 25c in an indie bundle >_<

Also along those lines of financial woe is GOG is giving away Fallout 1, 2 & Tactics for FREE :(

lexi

Banned
Well I'm suddenly having a terrible morning. I just discovered a credit payment I made of over $2000 went to the wrong account -- another credit card that's already paid off.

lexi

Banned
Terrible morning over! In what I thought would be a massive deal, the other company just reversed it back to my account. FUCK YEAH, I'M NOT SCREWED!

EatChildren

Credit cards are tools of Satan. And not fun Satan. Bad Satan.

And not fun Satan. Bad Satan.
Bad_Santa_film.jpg

Also along those lines of financial woe is GOG is giving away Fallout 1, 2 & Tactics for FREE :(
Grabbed Tactics as I didn't already have that. Thanks for the heads up.

Jintor

Can't seem to post from the mobile site any more, the browser just doesn't load a new page when you hit the post button.

Dead Man

Bloody NPD keeps crashing GAF
Is that what it is? Back to the old days.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational...amed-for-hundreds-of-wrongful-arrests/5138032

In September the Supreme Court decided in favour of a class action brought in NSW against police for wrongfully arresting and locking up more than 30 young people, most of them indigenous and disadvantaged.

Lawyers from Maurice Blackburn and the Public Interest Advocacy Centre and law believe hundreds of young people may have been unlawfully arrested because of outdated information on the state&#8217;s police computer system.

One of them, Einpwy Amon, was wrongfully arrested and detained three times in two weeks by the same police officer.

Mr Amon came to Australia as a refugee from war-torn Sudan with his mother and two siblings. In 2010 he was on bail, but his curfew had been lifted.

The ABC is prevented from reporting his original offence by the Children (Criminal Proceedings) Act 1987 (NSW), but it was not sufficiently serious for him to be sent to juvenile detention.

The day after his curfew was lifted in court, Mr Amon was in Blacktown with his cousins when he was approached by a detective, and later several other police officers.

&#8216;They came up to me they were like, &#8220;Einpwy do you have any curfew?&#8221;,&#8217; Mr Amon said.

&#8216;We went to the police station and from there they typed up my name and everything and he checked it and in the computer it says you&#8217;ve got curfew.&#8217;

Mr Amon was sent downstairs to the police cell, and from there he was transferred to a juvenile detention centre overnight. His mother, Ashol Amon, had no idea where her son was.

The next morning he was brought before the court, where the judge promptly agreed that he did not have a curfew, and dismissed him.

Six days later, he was back hanging out with his friends.

&#8216;I was kicking back near the taxi rank again, the same police officer, one of them that was there that arrested me, he is like, &#8220;Einpwy what are you doing? You got curfew?&#8221; And I am saying no I don&#8217;t. And he said you do, and then boom, they arrested me again.&#8217;

He was taken back to the police station, charged and transferred to a Cobbham juvenile detention centre overnight, and then brought before the court.

&#8216;The second time when I went to court, the judge was a lady, she was like, &#8220;Why are you here? We&#8217;re sorry what happened, you shouldn&#8217;t even be here.&#8221; She even said sorry. I said it&#8217;s all right Your Honour, and I got out on bail,&#8217; said Mr Amon.

A week later he was back at his usual hangout when a police officer approached him.

&#8216;It was the same guy too, the same guy three times. And he was like &#8220;Einpwy what are you doing?&#8221; I was like f**k man, you know? I was angry and I knew the same routine what they were gonna do. And boom, they handcuffed me and [took me] to the police station, they searched me at the cells and then I went to Cobbham again.&#8217;

This was the third wrongful arrest and imprisonment by police of Mr Amon in less than two weeks.

His mother could not understand why the police were repeatedly arresting and locking up her son.

Michelle Cohen, a senior solicitor from the Public Interest Advocacy Centre (PIAC), spoke with Ms Amon about her son&#8217;s case, which was referred to the PIAC by the Children&#8217;s Legal Service.

Ms Cohen had the job of explaining to Ms Amon how this terrible mistake had happened.

&#8216;It&#8217;s really difficult to say it's because the computer systems are out of date and even though they're wrongly arrested the first time, they didn't think to correct the problem the second and third time so it kept on happening because of incorrect information,&#8217; said Ms Cohen.

The most difficult part for the family to understand was how the same police officers could repeatedly arrest Mr Amon.

&#8216;The second time when it happened he should have known that Einpwy wasn&#8217;t on bail or done some serious checks because he knew what had happened previously,&#8217; said Ms Cohen.

Mr Amon&#8217;s repeated wrongful arrests have had a profound impact on the family. His mother believes race and colour have played a part in the incidents, while Mr Amon no longer feels safe in his community.

&#8216;I feel like I'm not in a safe place, because when the police hate the people how can you stay and who will help you?'

Good work guys, really helping your image there. I can understand getting it wrong because of the computer fuck up once, but three times by the same cop?

Jintor

Congrats Jintor!*

* Condolences, you might have to get a job now.

Grats Jintor! Awesome news.

nice work jint, the real world awaits!

Dude, congrats!

Congrats Jint! When is the graduation?

Congrats Jint! Now get a real job you hippy! Only kids buy videogames!

Bit late to the party, but congratulations Jintor :)

Thanks all! I went out and got druuuuuuuunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom