• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
B2yt4k3CMAAT6LE.jpg

You guys follow me on Twitter right? Big W will have Smash Bros Wii U for $58, Bayonetta 1/2 for $64 and Amiibos for $15

Question: Do JB's online prices reflect in store? I pre-ordered Dragon Age the other day and the girl said it was $118 despite the online price showing as $69. I'm going in there tomorrow but am asking now because if the online price doesn't translate to their in-store price I might have to buy GTAV from Target within the hour.

They pricematch so just make sure to check the cheapest price before you go in. Big W or Dick Smith will be cheapest likely.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2yt4k3CMAAT6LE.jpg[/IG]

You guys follow me on Twitter right? [URL="https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/170681"]Big W will have Smash Bros Wii U for $58, Bayonetta 1/2 for $64 and Amiibos for $15[/URL]

They pricematch so just make sure to check the cheapest price before you go in. Big W or Dick Smith will be cheapest likely.[/QUOTE]

If only there were still cheap wiius around.

I really do wonder when the next firesale will be. Not even sure who it would be, Dick Smith are out and most Kmart stores I go to are out. Target usually has a decent selection of WiiU stuff though.

Oh, Choc's still around? What's he up to nowadays?
He's up on Twitter, raging as always. He had a fun rant the other day about patches I think it was. I like to stir him every now and then, he's good fun.

He also ducked meeting any of us at PAX again lol

Last night was the first time I ever forwarded an image on to my mum that I found on twitter, and it was that image :)

Heh same here. I quite loudly said, "OH MY GAWDDDDDDDDDDDDD" when I first read it and had hardcore flashbacks lol

Fredescu

I'm kinda worried that several retailers pulling out of the Wii U means less competition for the remaining stockists and therefore less impetus for decent sales. I have a feeling we're going to be waiting for a price cut from Nintendo, which may not amount to much.

Stackboy

PSA: Trains have been stopped in Brisbane CBD due to the weather.

My drive home is now only 5 minutes, but before I got married my commute was 45 minutes across Brisbane, with that downpour last night it would have been much longer.

Urge to buy a WiiU rising, with Smash Bros imminent. Must. Resist. Already too much to play.

I really do wonder when the next firesale will be. Not even sure who it would be, Dick Smith are out and most Kmart stores I go to are out. Target usually has a decent selection of WiiU stuff though.

That's not a sufficient response. Just checked out ebay second hand pricing, so expensive.

My drive home is now only 5 minutes, but before I got married my commute was 45 minutes across Brisbane, with that downpour last night it would have been much longer.

Urge to buy a WiiU rising, with Smash Bros imminent. Must. Resist. Already too much to play.

Yeah a few people live down the coast, didn't get home til 10:30 as the trains only started running again at 9pm.

Yeah a few people live down the coast, didn't get home til 10:30 as the trains only started running again at 9pm.

I took one look at the lines at the bus station at King George Square and thought "fuck that, I'm getting a beer!". One beer turned to several, and now I'm feeling pretty average today.

Stackboy

That's not a sufficient response. Just checked out ebay second hand pricing, so expensive.

That really sucks. Rain coupled with Brisbane's shocking public transport system is a disaster.

I took one look at the lines at the bus station at King George Square and thought "fuck that, I'm getting a beer!". One beer turned to several, and now I'm feeling pretty average today.

Smart man.

Is it safe to assume Netflix will launch for $10 a month, just like Stan will? I wonder how soon they will show what's on offer. Only about 4 months to wait.

senahorse

I'm pretty sure Dragon Age's PC controls were created in the pits of hell. No man could make controls this shit.

So I have heard, gf is battling with the PC controls while I am just using a 360 pad. Really enjoying what I have played so far but it has been dumbed down a bit since the first game, especially in terms of managing your party.

senahorse

Bah to onsite only :p. Besides checkpoint, not so much, Cisco ASA, McAfee or Palo Alto are what I am familiar with, so I would just spend the first couple of weeks on google and reading white papers :D

Darren870

Palo Alto seems to be pretty big here in Aus. Get a few recruiters calling me asking if I am available. Wish we used them so I could get more experience with them. Sick of Juniper and Checkpoint.

senahorse

Seems to be getting bigger, I think firewalls were getting boring with the market there for a while so now they spruik a lot of the new ones up as "next-gen" firewalls, basically combining an IPS into the mix.

Darren870

Seems to be getting bigger, I think firewalls were getting boring with the market there for a while so now they spruik a lot of the new ones up as "next-gen" firewalls, basically combining an IPS into the mix.

Which is what the Netscreen did like 7 years ago and well. Then Juniper got stupid and f'd that up.

But yea I do agree. I've been doing this for 8 years now, it became the same kind of work after week 2.

senahorse

As long as I remain employable they can all it whatever they like :). Currently on a cert binge again at the moment (good excuse to learn new tech).

wonzo

Banned
just got an email from eb games telling me they fucked up the shipping of the new 3ds cover preorders and sent me the wrong one ._.

Darren870

As long as I remain employable they can all it whatever they like :). Currently on a cert binge again at the moment (good excuse to learn new tech).

Yea, certs seem to be big in Australia. I always get asked why I don't have any. You would think my experience working for some of the biggest vendors/service providers/banks/investment banks would be enough. But noooooooooooo. Maybe I'll get around to it.

Checkpoint is pretty easy.

Any jobs in Sydney? :(

Can ask some friends up there if they are looking for anything. But nothing here.

$550 a day? Fuck. I should get into IT and out of this public service bullshit, I bet the death threats you get in IT are much more hilarious.

I'd highly suggest going down the security route if you get into IT. Its an ever growing field and the pay has always been good. As for threats...I've gotten quite a bit. The funniest one was when some guy told me he was going to beat me and fuck my mother. Told him to fuck off and that his mom was under my desk blowing me as we spoke. He laughed, and thankfully as he was pretty senior in the company. He was just pissed some trading systems were down and I wasn't fixing it fast enough (wasn't my fault). Those were the days when investment banking was fun and cool!

Darren870

How many days a week? Screw CPA, I'll re-skill in IT security instead.

5 days a week.

I don't know what the industry average is here, so the range can be pretty big. Though if you are good your name gets around quickly. Contractors don't get paid holidays though, so always need to keep that in mind.

legend166

What security certs would you recommend?

Over the last 12 months I've become responsible for preparing/pushing/troubleshoot the firewall rules for one of our major clients (hint: not a flying emu, but close!). That's involved Cisco ASA (well, firewall switch modules but pretty close), Checkpoint and Juniper. So I'm pretty proficient in those three (in the sense that I can create firewall rules and troubleshoot connectivity problems). The problem is it's sort of been a side role alongside my boring network compliance stuff, even if it takes up 80% of my day. So I'm not getting properly paid for it or anything, which is annoying.

In terms of certs I'm still in the process of getting my CCNP R&S. Got Route done, but I'm waiting until they refresh the content early next year before getting the Switch and TShoot. After that I want to focus on the security side of things. I figure CCNA Security should be easy enough, but Cisco doesn't seem all that prevalent in the security world, at least from what I can see - Juniper and Checkpoint are more popular.

I'd highly suggest going down the security route if you get into IT. Its an ever growing field and the pay has always been good. As for threats...I've gotten quite a bit. The funniest one was when some guy told me he was going to beat me and fuck my mother. Told him to fuck off and that his mom was under my desk blowing me as we spoke. He laughed, and thankfully as he was pretty senior in the company. He was just pissed some trading systems were down and I wasn't fixing it fast enough (wasn't my fault). Those were the days when investment banking was fun and cool!

Hard field to get into? I see you aren't certed up, was it just a case of working your way up.

Need a career change, but the idea of another 3 years at uni is off putting.

senahorse

Yea, certs seem to be big in Australia. I always get asked why I don't have any. You would think my experience working for some of the biggest vendors/service providers/banks/investment banks would be enough. But noooooooooooo. Maybe I'll get around to it.

Certs help with getting the interview (and sometimes help with discounts, e.g. Cisco Partner status), experience gets you the job.

Better question would be how big a day.

Generally senior positions mean you are contactable 24x7 or at least part of a rotating roster (e.g. I am on-cal 24/7 one out of every 3 weeks).

legend166

I applied for a job as the IT manager for all the Intercontinental Hotels in the Asia Pacific.

We got through the entire interview, and at the end she told me they expected me to be on call 24x7. No roster or anything. Just me. And they'd pay me $60k p.a. for my troubles.

senahorse

I applied for a job as the IT manager for all the Intercontinental Hotels in the Asia Pacific.

We got through the entire interview, and at the end she told me they expected me to be on call 24x7. No roster or anything. Just me. And they'd pay me $60k p.a. for my troubles.

Haha that's rough, good luck finding a decent applicant for that job.

kyser73

Maybe we could start with a drink at Tomahawk, before heading somewhere for food.

Ginga or Guzman would do the trick for sure. Best sushi (quality and value considered) in Brisbane is upstairs at the Wintergarden, but we could just mill around the Southbank area if it's easiest.

What's the latest on this?

I was reminded* by my wife it's my son's first birthday party between 15:30-17:30 so I can't come out to play until then.

* I did actually remember, I'm not that shit as a dad.

What's the latest on this?

I was reminded* by my wife it's my son's first birthday party between 15:30-17:30 so I can't come out to play until then.

* I did actually remember, I'm not that shit as a dad.

What time does Supanova wrap up? Pretty sure there's going to be a few people going to that so will most likely kick it off after they finish.

I was thinking "early birds" meet at Tomahawk, then we'll get a table at Guzman/Ginga for around 7 so we can line our stomachs.

BrisGAF members keen for this, check in!

5 days a week.

I don't know what the industry average is here, so the range can be pretty big. Though if you are good your name gets around quickly. Contractors don't get paid holidays though, so always need to keep that in mind.

With that kind of money who would care about holiday pay?

This job would be on ABN, right? You can claim a lot of expenses on ABN.

Darren870

What security certs would you recommend?

Over the last 12 months I've become responsible for preparing/pushing/troubleshoot the firewall rules for one of our major clients (hint: not a flying emu, but close!). That's involved Cisco ASA (well, firewall switch modules but pretty close), Checkpoint and Juniper. So I'm pretty proficient in those three (in the sense that I can create firewall rules and troubleshoot connectivity problems). The problem is it's sort of been a side role alongside my boring network compliance stuff, even if it takes up 80% of my day. So I'm not getting properly paid for it or anything, which is annoying.

In terms of certs I'm still in the process of getting my CCNP R&S. Got Route done, but I'm waiting until they refresh the content early next year before getting the Switch and TShoot. After that I want to focus on the security side of things. I figure CCNA Security should be easy enough, but Cisco doesn't seem all that prevalent in the security world, at least from what I can see - Juniper and Checkpoint are more popular.

I'd say in terms of certs you are on the right track. I don't have any just some old expired Juniper and Checkpoint ones. I would suggest finishing your CCNP and then seeing what jobs are around you. I know CBA is up in Sydney and they hire security people. Have a mate from the UK that works there.

I always suggest looking at what the job market is like around you and potentially where you want to live. Find the skills they look for the most and then focus on those certifications. This way you know your skills are transferable to other companies in your area. There is no reason to read up on McAffee firewalls if only one company uses them.

I worked for Juniper for a while and was really good at it. I came here and no one really uses them. I get calls for the odd job or two but its not a vendor I would focus much on. I see a lot more Checkpoint/Palo Alto/Fortinet here. It wasn't like that in the UK or US though, everyone loved Juniper/Checkpoint.

I've seen a few contracts for $1000 a day for Palo Alto experts. So I would say if you have access to play around with those, definitely try. When I first got into IT I started working for an outsource company and it gave me access to lots of different providers. I focused on the biggest and learned how those products worked.

Hard field to get into? I see you aren't certed up, was it just a case of working your way up.

Need a career change, but the idea of another 3 years at uni is off putting.

I went to Uni for Computer Science. The only thing it helped me with was getting my first job. I never did programming, I just happened to go to a career fair at my school and my first employer was there. I thank my teacher for making me talk to the guy as I was kinda just lost and confused. Otherwise its helped me move overseas, with out it I probably wouldn't be able too. In other words, I don't think Uni is needed.

I wouldn't say its hard, but it helps to know people and have someone put your name forward. I always think networking is good and it has helped me a lot. I started my career in the US, moved to the UK and now here. All the jobs I got were from networking and putting in hard work. People putting my name forward and recommending me to people. I'm pretty sociable so its helped (a lot) as I'm not the geekiest IT person. Sometimes my eye gloss over as I have no idea what some of these people are talking about.

Ha, That sucks. I don't do on call anymore. I did it when I first started and was 1 week every 5 weeks. It was pretty bad. I haven't done it in about 5 years now though. It is something every one has to do though. Now my mobile stays off unless I agreed prior that I could expect a call.

---

Anyways, just my experience. Also expect a lot of insourcing/outsourcing. It used to be a running joke in the UK. I sat in the same desk for 4-5 years and worked for 6 different companies. Just need to be prepared that your job could go overseas in a snap. Though if you are good they will keep you around.

With that kind of money who would care about holiday pay?

This job would be on ABN, right? You can claim a lot of expenses on ABN.

Yea of course. Though I can't do that. I am also full time now so don't make that much. Though I still do alright.

legend166

Yeah I've already noticed the insourcing/outsourcing bit. Heck I've already been through one outsourcing. So now I'm at my second company. At least I keep my service date and long service leave!

Thanks for the tips.

It's interesting about the split of vendors. Our department looks after about 300 firewalls - not a single Palo Alto or Fortinet (never even heard of that one). In terms of numbers it goes Nokia/Checkpoint > Juniper > Cisco.

Shaneus

Fuck, so security in IT is where it's at? I managed a 10k-odd environment of Symantec/SEP clients for over 5 years. I should start nutting out what else I might need to land a more solid job somewhere else. I've been on training with Symantec, but that's it as far as actual qualifications :/

I do backup shit (almost entirely Simpana/Commvault now) as well, but I'm far more interested in security.

Edit: Yeah, double-posted. Suck it up, princesses.

Darren870

Yeah I've already noticed the insourcing/outsourcing bit. Heck I've already been through one outsourcing. So now I'm at my second company. At least I keep my service date and long service leave!

Thanks for the tips.

It's interesting about the split of vendors. Our department looks after about 300 firewalls - not a single Palo Alto or Fortinet (never even heard of that one). In terms of numbers it goes Nokia/Checkpoint > Juniper > Cisco.

Yea, its nice you get to keep that stuff. US doesn't really offer that stuff, so it was just more important if you had a job the next day. :)

Yea, are they netsceens though? Netscreens are pretty big still, I just haven't seen many people move to SRX.

The investment banks use Fortinets a lot. Stock Exchanges and anyone pushing money really. Its basically the new netscreen (ex juniper people founded Fortinet). Palo Alto and Fortinet are going for the nextgen stuff. So if you run a cisco or netscreen shop I'd think most people are going to move to those. A lot of my old colleagues at Juniper now work for one of those two companies.

My last job had 1800 firewalls. It was about 1200 CP and 600 Junipers. I did a lot of Checkpoint to Juniper migrations though.

This is just my experience though. To be honest, that's what I did about 6 years ago. I worked for an outsourcing joint and stuck with a team that managed one client with a similar size fleet of firewalls and products. Then saw an opportunity to move to the UK and work directly for that client and help them sort out a big mess they created.

If I were you I would take what you know with that customer and run with it. Try to get out of compliance and work closer with that customer. Make contacts within the company, learn how to build Checkpoints and MDS/CMAs etc. Then work the contacts to try and get a job with them or use that experience to join another firm. Connect on linked in also. Always helps.

Also I see a lot of Pen Testing jobs around. Don't know much about it, but to those that it may interest, its becoming bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom