• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can confirm Europe is great.

I did Deutschland and Netherlands last year. Have previously been to UK, Sweden, Ireland, Italy, France, Greece as a kid (don't remember a lot of it tho).

It really depends what kinds of things you want to do.

r1chard

"America is a great place to keep all the Americans" (Clive James, I believe)

America is nice and all, but not in the least bit challenging for a tourist (as in, it's basically like home for an Aussie, just bigger). Go Europe, with maybe a little stop-over in the US on the way home to go shopping :)

Fuck im jealous, i have the time, the money, yet no one would want to go with me :/.
Go with an outfit like Busabout then; it's like back-packing except the busing between places and accommodation is organised for you. You'll never be lonely if you don't want to be.

All.

If I take 8 weeks off work (i have like 12+ available) and I decide to travel.

Where do I go? Europe, America, Asia - something else i don't know of?

If you suggest one of them, What places do you suggest I check out?

All depends what you like. Europe is cool, lots of culture and food. North America is fun (especially if you follow American sports). Wherever you go you'll have a blast.

Fuck im jealous, i have the time, the money, yet no one would want to go with me :/.

It's really not that bad by yourself. I've done the last 5 or so major trips solo. My one piece of advice, just do it.

For density of stuff to see and do in a reasonably small radius, it's hard to beat western Europe IMO (or Europe in general). If it's a first 'big' trip overseas and you have eight weeks, then that's where I'd suggest too.

As for where, you need to know what interests you.

Darren870

I'd say Europe also. Its easy to get around between countries and you don't have to have set plans where you go. Its very easy for backpackers.

Asia is much bigger and often involves a lot of flights and annoying boarder / visa issues. Same with S America.

Are they real shady at that price?, presumably not if your reccomending them lol.

No. Pretty standard price.

Speaking of holidays. Jetstar had the 2 for 1 deals to Japan. Might look into that and go with the missus. I haven't been since like 2008, so wouldn't mind going again. She hasn't been either. Though stick to the country side and coast rather then Tokyo. Otherwise Burma is next on my list then Antartica or something wild like that.

Only problem is the US is full of Americans...

WOAH!!! WOAH!! Were coming and invading Australia. Just wait till we are everywhere!

Are they real shady at that price?, presumably not if your reccomending them lol.

No they are quite clean, safe and have good rooms etc. That's the price for 6-8 person share rooms, usually. If you want privates the prices go up substantially. Although the first one I stayed in (also one of the best!) in Frankfurt was super close to the central station at such a low price. I couldn't figure what the catch was - turns out it was on Moselstrasse, part of the red light district of Frankfurt. There were various, shall we say adult shops all around.

The hostel itself was brilliant though. "The Five Elements".

USA in 2010 was good, but lots of it felt like Australia but just a hell of a lot bigger. New York is pretty amazing though. Only problem is the US is full of Americans...

I'd be keen to see parts of the US, like the big cities where stuff is all fucked up, the broken down areas you see in 80's B movies and stuff like that.

Dead Man

All.

If I take 8 weeks off work (i have like 12+ available) and I decide to travel.

Where do I go? Europe, America, Asia - something else i don't know of?

If you suggest one of them, What places do you suggest I check out?

Depends how much you want to spend. 2 months in Europe would be awesome, but very expensive even on the cheap.

Europe's pretty awesome.

I went England->France->Switzerland->Italy on a family trip back in 2004.

Always wanted to see Germany as well.

USA in 2010 was good, but lots of it felt like Australia but just a hell of a lot bigger. New York is pretty amazing though. Only problem is the US is full of Americans...

I know. :(

WOAH!!! WOAH!! Were coming and invading Australia. Just wait till we are everywhere!

We are everywhere. lol. The problem with Australia is that it's now full of Americans. Or at least idealogical want to be's.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Pricing, Doesn't bother me at this stage. I imagine this would be the only time I decide to travel for 8 weeks, May as well enjoy it and spend what I can.

I'm not too sure if I have the balls for hostels, I think I would prefer to stay in a place for ~1 week before moving on and for that to be in a hotel.

So, Europe it is going by everyone.

What locations are we talking about? What in europe. I know nothing, I've never left AUS before and barely left the state. So educate me ausgaf.

Jintor

By the way Gaz I use a pair of Sony Earbuds that are like $40 or $30 or something at JB last I checked which was about six months ago. Those in-ear thingies. They're not bad.

Darren870

Depends how much you want to spend. 2 months in Europe would be awesome, but very expensive even on the cheap.

I know. :(

We are everywhere. lol. The problem with Australia is that it's now full of Americans. Or at least idealogical want to be's.

I have only met one or two Americans since I've been here. Then again I generally try to avoid my own kind.

Pricing, Doesn't bother me at this stage. I imagine this would be the only time I decide to travel for 8 weeks, May as well enjoy it and spend what I can.

I'm not too sure if I have the balls for hostels, I think I would prefer to stay in a place for ~1 week before moving on and for that to be in a hotel.

So, Europe it is going by everyone.

What locations are we talking about? What in europe. I know nothing, I've never left AUS before and barely left the state. So educate me ausgaf.

Oh God...Mate that's a bit hard. Do you like history, architecture? Specific things? Lend us a hand!
Honestly, if you are going by yourself, go with hostels. You will want to leave otherwise. There is only so many pictures you can take by yourself. Plus they also have cool events on and know of hidden things in the area.

Hostels are fine for outgoing/extroverted people, but for introverts they're just awful. And if you want a private room, you may as well just choose a hotel.

Cookie, you may find only a few days at each city is enough, with a travel day. If you're staying a week and don't want hotel services (gym, internet, concierge, crappy breakfast), consider apartments. You can get great deals.

As for things to do, like Darren says, you need to understand your interests a little. Try wikitravel.org and tripadvisor.com and look at a few cities (start with London, Paris, Madrid, Florence, Munich maybe to begin with to get a feel). Or check some package tour itineraries, maybe you'll get some inspiration that way.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I have no interests and I hate everything, so I don't know what I would want to see when I travel.

So let's say a mix of things. Some art, history, culture. I don't want to focus on anything specific and I should do it just by feel. If it's crap, move onto the next location.

I have no interests and I hate everything, so I don't know what I would want to see when I travel.
I knew you'd say that! I don't think not knowing is necessarily a bad thing, if you're open to different things and know yourself a bit.

If you like good food or booze, or music, then you can focus on that. Maybe go over for a large music event, or look for unique local foods, or go to Iceland and say hi to CCP. Still don't know? Look at the top stuff on tripadvisor for a few cities and if that stuff looks or sounds interesting, then just go there. I've based trips to individual cities because of one thing before.

Yay, Xbox One bundle arrived from MS store just now. I now have the console pokemon and have got them all. for at least another couple of years until Nintendo releases the Wii Thrii Kings.

Anyone else having really bad dropouts to twitch.tv? That's the only site that's super duper bad for me, can't watch any streams and most of my pings fail.

I'm on iiNet.

If you like Cisco stuff the CCNA is as good start. I always am weary of networking related jobs as its often outsourced. However, working for hospitals, unis and government is pretty safe from that. This is just my experience though, don't know enough about the Australian job market yet.
Outsourced, yes, tell me about it. I might try and just get the CCNA then and see what interests me from there away from this line of work.

Oh, and if I had 8 weeks off of work and money was not an issue I would hit up Iceland and Greenland and I guess a few other bits of Europe on the way back but mostly Iceland.

nFOYCDE.jpg
I MADE A SPIDEY FRIEND!!!1
HE DED NOW

White tail. Kill them with a vengeance!

White tails being dangerous is a myth. If one bites you the worse you're going to get is nauseous but that's rare, most of the time it'll sting around the bite mark and that'll be it.

They're hunting spiders so they're worth keeping around as they'll eat flys and mozzies. That goes for huntsmans and black house spiders too.

White tails being dangerous is a myth. If one bites you the worse you're going to get is nauseous but that's rare, most of the time it'll sting around the bite mark and that'll be it.

They're hunting spiders so they're worth keeping around as they'll eat flys and mozzies. That goes for huntsmans and black house spiders too.

Proof about not being deadly to humans? I've killed like 20 in my upstairs bathroom + bedroom in the past month.

In other news: FERAL CAT SCRATCHES FUCK YEAH!!

Fogz

Or maybe the myth about them being dangerous is also a myth!

If anyone's chaisng a cheap wiiu, give your local target a ring as they might have gotten stock of the $189 sky landers pack in again.

Ozbargainer is reporting some targets have the Skylanders Wii U bundle for $189. Not confirmed yet.

So you get a

Wii U Basic console
Skylanders Swap Force + 3 Figurines
Nintendoland

The includes a Figure exclusive to the bundle you can pawn off on eBay.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/171057

I got one.

no. id rather not be woken up again at 6am by my sister screaming from the next room about the whitetail on the floor twice in 1 week

and yeah i know none of the spiders are going to kill me (red back not included) but 1) NOPE!!! B) people scream in my house when they see them Thirdly) they are gross looking and did i mention NOPE!!!

I haven't been very lucky this gen with hardware.

My launch PS4 now straddles two dvd cases since a design flaw has the console sitting on the eject button, which means the PS4 occasionally spits out a disc while you're playing and then refuses to load any discs. also the R2 button was stuck for a wile until i got some WD40 into it.

My brand spanking new XBox 1 got stuck on the update screen (literally the third thing you do when you turn it on for the first time. It would download the first 10% and then say 'nope' and only give you the option of retrying, checking your internet connection or switching off the console. After downloading a 2GB file to a NTFS-formatted USB stick (which you can't do on a Mac unless you bootcamp) and getting the console to check for USB stick on loading, I finally got the machine to work, after that hiccup, however, it's working nicely. Only had a chance to install the three disc games (didn't take all that long since I went off to do other things) and have a quick squiz at FH2 and Ryse. Both are fun and pretty. Ryse runs really smoothly and has nice combat. FH2 may actually make me play a driving game for more than a day or two. or not.

And the Wii U. Well, 'nuff said. It's probably for the best I haven't bought a Vita.

also: Happy Gazday. May this decade bring you the return of Jack Tramiel from the dead and restore Commodore into a vibrant company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom