• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexi

Banned
GAF crashes now at least twice a week for sustained periods. And it's not like I'm always on GAF so it's probably down way more.

Dead Man

Yup. People love a good spin.

X1: "fastest selling console in NA last month!!!!!"
Translation: Console was out for 9 days, average out 909,132 sales to make it fastest selling despite PS4 actually selling somewhere between 1-1.6million because it launched earlier.

tl;dr - the industry isn't falling from the sky!

Heh, good to see, I guess. Not a fan of the console business model evolution over the last few years though, I was kind of hoping it was going to get a kick in the teeth. Cheers for the summary though.

Danoss

Good work guys, really helping your image there. I can understand getting it wrong because of the computer fuck up once, but three times by the same cop?

Time to look at the cop for harassment. You don't deserve a pat on the back for exploiting a clerical error to meet your quota (I don't know if the quota thing is for real).

I've met and heard stories of many awesome cops and I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone that they're out there. To get in the media for something positive they generally need to go above and beyond, or be involved in something funny for a human interest story. But damn if these shitty cops don't screw it up for the rest of them; I've met a few of them too and there seems to be something really wrong with them.

Thanks all! I went out and got druuuuuuuunk

Missed the congrats time-frame, so hopefully the hangover isn't too bad at least.

Danoss

Yup. People love a good spin.

X1: "fastest selling console in NA last month!!!!!"
Translation: Console was out for 9 days, average out 909,132 sales to make it fastest selling despite PS4 actually selling somewhere between 1-1.6million because it launched earlier.

tl;dr - the industry isn't falling from the sky!

I clicked through one of those links and ended up at Geoff Keighley's twitter. His background image is pretty poorly written, given he is part of the enthusiast press it is no surprise. It is also rather awkward in its presentation.

uVeSLUF.jpg

Heh, yeah Doritos Pope doesn't care much for the aesthetics I've read in the past. He's stuck in a bit of a bad spot but if he wanted to go more legit it's his choice to walk away from the money after all.

Brothers: A Tale of 2 Sons steamkey for $6 with GFDDEC20 coupon

Stackboy

Getting ready to leave for Brisbane tonight.. my first ever plane-trip! should be interesting..

Anyway advertising the BrisGAF meet-up one last time (since I won't have access to a computer when I'm there). Although I'll be checking and posting in the thread on my mobile.;p

When?: December 14th, Saturday 5:00 pm start. (feel free to turn up at 6:00 pm or w/e I'm sure we'll still be there)
Where?: The Mana Bar: 420 Brunswick St, Fortitude Valley QLD 4006
Will be attending: Lafiel, Lexi, Shanshan310, Rlan,
Maybe: Catbug/Will, Stackboy, FallbackPants, Marsh/Marshmellow + 2 RL friends of mine (possibly)
Not Attending: Bulbagarden

Pic of me: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18933773/1563668207509133372.jpeg

Also question for BrisGAFFERS: What cool stuff is there to do during the day in Brisbane? might explore a bit tomorrow.;p

I'm out sorry guys.

Southbank is nice to explore, it's just near GOMA. Take a trip on the river on the ferry too, that's really nice.

I'm responsible with them. I close the balance every month.

Fun Satan for me.

I've only just been doing this recently, after getting a permanent position here in the government. Feels good!

For those interested in Community S5- "Beyond the Darkest Timeline" trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-3kFjFbSSE&feature=youtu.be

Those who aren't can post whatever crap I don't like all day. oh wait.

"from the Executive Producer of Community Seasons 1-3..."

I'm just about to finish season 4, still liked it, even without Dan Harmon onboard. Looking forward to having him back though.

Hey, does anyone know which are the best unis in Aus for vidya game courses? BF is looking into enrolling at RMIT or something next year but has no idea what kind of reputation these places have.

I'm going to be even more socially weird now that I don't have someone to fall back on -- At least I'll fit right in at the Mana Bar, right!? *boom tish*

Don't worry me too :p At least there will be cocktails!

Call of Duty Ghost sales for Nov in the US
360 - 55.45%
PS3 - 30.42%
PS4 - 7.39%
X1 - 6.42%
WiiU - 0.33%
Dat 0.33% :/

Also wow at software split in the US
AC4
1 - 30.95%
4 - 69.05%

NSF
1 - 16.71%
4 - 48.42%
360 - 17.77%
3 - 17.11%

NFL25
1 - 40.12%
4 - 59.88%

NBA 2K14
1 - 34.84%
4 - 65.16%

FIFA 14
1 - 35.43%
4 - 64.57%

NBA Live 14
1 - 43.40%
4 - 56.60%
Microsoft will be worried slightly considering how the US went this generation.

Also lol at more X1 gamers buying EA NBA than the usual split. Feel bad for them :(

ChewyDev

Neo Member
Hey, does anyone know which are the best unis in Aus for vidya game courses? BF is looking into enrolling at RMIT or something next year but has no idea what kind of reputation these places have.

What sort of role is he interested in doing? Design, programming, animation? I myself have been interested in going into game design, and I was told by an acquaintance in the industry that I should go for a computer science degree, and build up a portfolio of design work on the side. Design jobs are one of the most sort after in the industry, so I figure it can't hurt to have a more technical degree to back up your portfolio. I'm going to transfer to monash computer science next year, I have heard that it's a pretty flexible degree.

As for other uni's, I know that both rmit and deakin offer degrees aimed at game design, not sure on their reputation. There's also qantm, an institute that is heavily focused on games, however I have heard some pretty mixed reviews about it (and it's expensive!)

Anyway, there's my 2 cents!

Gazunta

Instead of wasting years at a game developer course how about you actually, oh I dunno, develop a game.

New recruits who have made a shitty game > New recruits who have academic qualifications always always always

New recruits who have done both are unicorns and are hired immediately

ChewyDev

Neo Member
Instead of wasting years at a game developer course how about you actually, oh I dunno, develop a game.

New recruits who have made a shitty game > New recruits who have academic qualifications always always always

New recruits who have done both are unicorns and are hired immediately

Oh absolutely. Actually having something to present that showcases your abilities is going to be held in higher regard than a piece of paper. I'm working on a couple small projects while studying, the computer science degree is more of a support/fallback if it doesn't work out.

if you want to get into games, learn to program.
If you're even half decent at it, you'll never starve.

anything else in Australia, you will starve.

Deeku

yeah making stuff or compsci plus making stuff is probably the most sensible thing to do. videogame courses/degrees seem like the biggest rort

Gazunta

Oh absolutely. Actually having something to present that showcases your abilities is going to be held in higher regard than a piece of paper. I'm working on a couple small projects while studying, the computer science degree is more of a support/fallback if it doesn't work out.

You got exactly the right attitude. You'll be fine.

We've hired a couple of guys that have a comp. science degree that have almost nothing to do with what they ended up doing as their job - simply because we like the kind of guys that tend to do comp. science degrees :)

And then make comics, because they're awesome!

FUCK YES COMICS ARE AWESOME.

if you want to get into games, learn to program.
If you're even half decent at it, you'll never starve.

anything else in Australia, you will starve.

Everyone listen to Clive, seriously.

Why didn't I learn to program

lexi

Banned

Don't worry me too :p At least there will be cocktails!

Yay, Cocktails. Which reminds me, I went to a bar in the Valley a few weeks ago and the bartender didn't know what a 'Screwdriver' was. Hoping for better luck this time.

Gaz/Clive/Fred any free online resources to get some basic background information on Computer Science? Might check to see if Coursera has anything, just to dip my toe in.

I went to AIE and I loved it. Not working as dev but that's not their fault. They have campuses along the east coast in main cities.

Shaneus

Is that Wii U pro controller any good? Looks like it'd be kinda dope for PC gaming if it has any kind of 360 pad compatibility.

Danoss

Finally got to watch The Genius and it certainly didn't disappoint. They threw them in the deep end straight away as Food Chain definitely has plenty of complexity to it. So glad to have this show back and Bumdidlyumptious seemed to be busting a gut to get it subbed and available to us.

I've been listening to the Pacific Rim soundtrack, amongst other things, whilst I've been working on my miniatures. When the deathmatch started, I thought I must've accidentally resumed my playlist.

Back to assembling miniatures, I need to have another 5 ready before bed tonight, jumping up to some larger Warmachine/Hordes battles on Sunday.

Jintor

Man DX:HR is lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

I forgot how long

it's lonnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

missing link was okay. In many ways better designed than the main game... in a few ways, worse

Next PAL PS+ cycle has been announced.

As always, "PURCHASE" THE FREE GAMES FROM SEN BEFORE THEY GET TAKEN DOWN ON THE FOLLOWING DATES!

Leaving PS Plus:
24th December: Grid 2 PS3
24th December: Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen PS3
24th December: Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed VITA
8th January: Contrast PS4

Vita gets another fighter and a MonHunter-like for PS+! Yay!

Entering PS Plus!!!!!!!!:
24th December: DmC Devil May Cry PS3
24th December: Borderlands 2 PS3
24th December: Soul Sacrifice VITA
24th December: Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend VITA
8th January: Don’t Starve PS4

This was actually quite a bit better than I expected. Ninja Theory can actually make good games when they've got competent designers telling them how to do it. Well worth a burl, especially as one of the rentals from your PS+ subscription for free.

One of the big surprises of the year for me alongside Tomb Raider, though it was really more that they were both pretty okay games after disasterful PR before launch.

Ingram

Just got back from seeing American Hustle. Pretty solid movie. Some of my favourite actors/actresses. Bale can't do a movie these days without radical weight loss/gain.

Phew, so tired. Haven't slept in 2 days, organised a work christmas party at the Edinburgh Gardens in Fitzroy today, was stuck in traffic for 2 hours and didn't eat anything all day.

Can't wait for wednesday
1 week holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom