• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Today's comp is a Paradox pack, sooo:

- Europa Universalis IV
- Crusader Kings II
- Teleglitch: Die More Edition
- The Showdown Effect 4-pack
- Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition.

Entry (closes in 3 hours): https://www.facebook.com/rocketchainsaw/posts/571728582895354

We've got another Paradox pack, Dungeon Crawl vouchers, and other stuff to give away too.

Speaking of, for anybody in Melbourne, Dungeon Crawl is selling all new release 3DS games for $49 tomorrow morning as part of their big store clearance. Mario Wii U is $62, and I assume they've got other deals. I was thinking of popping in and seeing what they have for 3DS stock. Maybe grab Mario & Luigi.

legend166

I think I might keep this Google Music sub going once the free month runs out. It's pretty awesome. I'm struggling to see why I'd do with Spotify over this.

Quasar

I think I might keep this Google Music sub going once the free month runs out. It's pretty awesome. I'm struggling to see why I'd do with Spotify over this.

FB integration?

Certainly of the services Google Music is my preferred, in part because of the nice way it meshes the music streamed from the pay part and the locker part, which is pretty important to me given the amount of music I listen to thats not on any streaming service.

What the hell was this BrisGAF meetup which I was not informed about? :?

03Evp8N.png

Kritz

Banned

Burger game is getting there. NPCs now arrive in groups to the restaurateur, and will sit around and wait for you to fufil everyone's order.

It's the first time in this game's history where there is now a gameplay loop. The only break in the loop is that you eventually run out of resources to make burgers with. So I guess after I test multiplayer again, that's my next goal.

And it turns out that I'm still really bad at scope for games. Since this game isn't anywhere near complete, and I kind of want to get it in some kind of 'playable' state before February. But that probably won't happen with how little time I spend making it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Burger game is getting there. NPCs now arrive in groups to the restaurateur, and will sit around and wait for you to fufil everyone's order.

It's the first time in this game's history where there is now a gameplay loop. The only break in the loop is that you eventually run out of resources to make burgers with. So I guess after I test multiplayer again, that's my next goal.

And it turns out that I'm still really bad at scope for games. Since this game isn't anywhere near complete, and I kind of want to get it in some kind of 'playable' state before February. But that probably won't happen with how little time I spend making it.

Using Unity? I've been meaning to do what you're doing: sit down and try something. But given my zero knowledge of programming I have no idea where to start :/.

markot

Banned
Try alta vistaing it genius!

My only problem with Google play musak is they only have a website based player, and its kinda bleh, crashes, stops playing... its flash you see!

Quasar

My only problem with Google play musak is they only have a website based player, and its kinda bleh, crashes, stops playing... its flash you see!

Is it? I figured it was all HTML5. Can't say I've ever seen it crash.

And there certainly are non browser options, albeit non desktop ones (ie: iOS and Android apps)

Deeku

Pro tip guys: when you go buy a bunch of Xmas pressies from the hello kitty store, expect to walk around carrying said hello kitty goods in a nice big pink hello kitty embossed bag.

Omikron

Today's comp is a Paradox pack, sooo:

- Europa Universalis IV
- Crusader Kings II
- Teleglitch: Die More Edition
- The Showdown Effect 4-pack
- Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition.

Entry (closes in 3 hours): https://www.facebook.com/rocketchainsaw/posts/571728582895354

We've got another Paradox pack, Dungeon Crawl vouchers, and other stuff to give away too.

Speaking of, for anybody in Melbourne, Dungeon Crawl is selling all new release 3DS games for $49 tomorrow morning as part of their big store clearance. Mario Wii U is $62, and I assume they've got other deals. I was thinking of popping in and seeing what they have for 3DS stock. Maybe grab Mario & Luigi.

GOTY Pack.

Jintor

Really enjoying Community S3 so far tbh. Not every episode ends excellently but there's been a few standouts (Chaos Theory, Advanced Gay, Modern Movement and Foosball) and the others have all had a couple of amazing laugh-out-loud moments.

Not as consistent as S1, but I think generally better than S2. Not done yet though, obviously

Kritz

Banned
Using Unity? I've been meaning to do what you're doing: sit down and try something. But given my zero knowledge of programming I have no idea where to start :/.

Yeah, Unity's great. I don't know what it's like without at least some basics in programming, but relative to UDK or Source it's such a breeze. I've only been using it for about two years now, and I've been programming for about three years at Uni, with not too much prior knowlege.

This burger game is the first thing I've made that doesn't seem like complete shit, so I'm pretty proud of its progress.

I'd say if you gave yourself a couple of months, you could pick up Unity with no prior programming knowledge. There's a lot of stuff already done in the engine that you don't need to know how to do - physics is already there, you can get a guy walking around in less than ten minutes, you can learn basic functions like OnTriggerEnter to get some rudimentary game logic going, and soon enough you have your own shitty platformer or shooter or whatever.

If you have any interest at all of learning it, now or in the future, look up some of the video tutorials for how the interface works, do maybe one or two complete beginner tutorials that involves coding, and from there just start on real real real small scale, minimal scope games. Make a pong or airhocky game. It's really easy to make any kind of game where you're just knocking around a ball with physics.

Unity's great fun, and I highly recommend anyone with a passing interest in making dumb things to pick it up and give it a go at least once. It'll take a few months to get used to the interface and coding and what the engine's good at doing, but it's such an easy way to introduce people to gamedev.

Arksy

Hey gang!

I'm back from my six week trip to Europe.

Now, is there anyone where I can pick up a ps4 from?

I'm secretly hoping there isn't, so I'm forced to wait like any sensible person.

Also, do the new X1 controllers xinput or whatever it is, meaning that a lot of PC games support it natively?

Hey gang!

I'm back from my six week trip to Europe.

Now, is there anyone where I can pick up a ps4 from?

I'm secretly hoping there isn't, so I'm forced to wait like any sensible person.

Also, do the new X1 controllers xinput or whatever it is, meaning that a lot of PC games support it natively?

Welcome back. Nope on the ps4. You may be able to fluke one if you ring around as the next shipment is due to this week.

Shaneus

No shit, I'm *loving* the aesthetics of that. If I can offer one suggestion: don't do the bare minimum of what you have to do to get it done. Or make another game in the same graphical style. Love it.

Unity's great fun, and I highly recommend anyone with a passing interest in making dumb things to pick it up and give it a go at least once. It'll take a few months to get used to the interface and coding and what the engine's good at doing, but it's such an easy way to introduce people to gamedev.
I think I'm curious. I don't know if it's the sort of thing I could ever hope to pick up, but if it's anything like Cartooners, I'll be making games in no time!

PS. Rep, hope you got that exploitable game from US PSN. It's been taken down already.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm up for a KritzGAF meet-up on the 29th.. I'm looking forward to getting you really drunk kritz <3

Oh btw, I'll be in Melbourne between the 8th and the 16th. If anyone was interested. Even if you're not, now you know. Even if you don't care.

I'm keen on the 29tth kritz,

And lexi def. Rezbit will be down by then me thinks.

Drinks for all!

Would either the 10th (friday) or 11th (saturday) be a good date to schedule the meet-up?

Stackboy

I'm surprised how tolerable I find the ads on Spotify now. Every now and then I'd find myself unable to take the ads, a few months ago, and I would sub for a month to get rid of them. But now I just don't notice them.

Love spotify!

Unity is great and incredibly versatile.

I'm using Game Maker for my own project because I thought it would be better for something that's strictly 2D. Turns out there's good 2D support in Unity too now! Oh well too late now I guess :)

Edit: Obligatory plug for my Kickstarter! Less than 2 days to go! Get in now before it's too late! God I can't wait to stop assaulting everyone with my relentless self-promotion!

does that mean you're quitting G+, Twitter, Facebook and Door to Door Knocking?

In other unrelated news- I'd better top up my credit card in the next day or so.

Which is easier for a code n00b, BTW unity, Konstrukt or Gamemaker?

Unity is great and incredibly versatile.

I'm using Game Maker for my own project because I thought it would be better for something that's strictly 2D. Turns out there's good 2D support in Unity too now! Oh well too late now I guess :)

Edit: Obligatory plug for my Kickstarter! Less than 2 days to go! Get in now before it's too late! God I can't wait to stop assaulting everyone with my relentless self-promotion!

dailychart.png

attaboy

Clive Construct or Stencyl probably. They have an events-based system. Like "Always -> Set position of this to this". Game maker supports this weird DragnDrop functionality, never was 100% sure on how to use it, but it also has some programming stuff in it. Unity is pretty much a WYSIWYG where you attach scripts that you code to objects to make them do stuff. The "proper" Unity way is to have a thousand modular scripts that you attach to create behaviour. Like: Keyboard movement, a Gun manager. It makes more SENSE (imo) to do it this way but hey. It's still confusing.

IMO go with Construct for now, it's very easy to get stuff going in that. Built-in movement types are a big thing. People will say Unity has this too, it has built in physics but you still have to code the movement. There are character controllers I suppose but I never warmed to them much.

Gazunta

Thanks Mega :)

Clive I suck at coding but I am really enjoying Game Maker. Most of it is just stringing icons together and changing some variables. The tutorials are pretty good I got a simple 1941-style game together in an hour or two.

Edit: I should clarify that the end of this Kickstarter just means I'll stop being a shameless whore for this particular project. I've got a ton of self-promotion ahead of me! :)

Rahk

Thanks Rahk! I haven't even had time to check the twitters this morning. Grabbing it now in case it disappears soon.
I think he is uploading them privately now so hopefully that won't be a problem anymore, but good idea to grab it just in case. I'll do so when I get home.

$20 Tearaway? Wow, I'll be getting that. I think it will only work on US PSN but not 100% sure on that.

lexi

Banned
I have US PSN (and bought a copy for myself) but I was considering buying another one for a friend, but they have AU PSN... not sure if it willl redeem.

Stackboy

Someone in the other thread just confirmed a US code isn't redeemable on another PSN.

Score for me though! USA! USA! USA!

Oh well, guess I can hope for a sale on PSN over Xmas. Right?

I do have a dick smith voucher that I can only see myself spending on games, too.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
QUESTACON, POWERHOUSE MUSEUM, SCIENCE WORKS, INVESTIGATOR SCIENCE CENTRE.

can some one who has been to all 4 confirm or deny their similarities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom