• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

Thus begins Lite n Easy week 10 I think (maybe 11).

4 months prior to LnE: 101.5KG

Start of LnE: 94.9KG

Today: 86.6KG

Good times, and now xmas is going to ruin it all :(

Shaneus

News: I've finally taken the scab off my skin cancer-removal thing (it was hanging anyway, so I didn't have to rip it off, just lift it a little) and it looks nowhere near as bad as I thought it would. Lots of dry skin etc. but for now, I can't wait to have a shower and get my whole head under it (rather than keep my forehead dry).

At least, I think I can get it wet. We'll see!

I was/am about the same (at your start of LnE). I've been lower, but snacking on things I shouldn't snack on (namely: popcorn :/) I think has held me back a little.

PS. If anyone hasn't bought it already, Binary Domain is on Amazon for $3.74US. Very much worth it for that kind of coin.

Edit: STEAM NOW ALLOWS BACKGROUND DOWNLOADING WHILE PLAYING GAMES?!? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?!?!?!

Shaneus

After reading about problems some people had with one of the shoulder buttons on the controller, I'm 100% waiting for local stock now :(

How is Zen Pinball 2? It's YOPO with the PS3 tables.
eeeeh. I'm not a big fan. YMMV though. Pretty sure they all have free trials though.

Also 22c per litre off fuel at Coles Express today with this coupon
HMMMM.

I thought it's done this for ages?
Maybe, that's why I asked :p

Hopefully one of you charming AusGAF posters / lurkers nabs this.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Retro City Rampage -- MB-9DF0B7D7A9DC1403

Didn't you get the one off Death?

PS. You know you have my phone number, you could've SMSed :(

Nah I couldn't justify paying full price, waiting for it to hit AUD$400 if I can save up enough money next year.

Also I could have but I had like 5 people here annoying me so it took about an hour to even get the post up on GAF lol

Shaneus

I'm not normally one to share random clickbait shit that I see on FB, but this thing on Pope Francis is pretty fucking incredible. I know some certain Australian Prime Ministers who could learn a fucking thing or two off of him.

Nah I couldn't justify paying full price, waiting for it to hit AUD$400 if I can save up enough money next year.

Also I could have but I had like 5 people here annoying me so it took about an hour to even get the post up on GAF lol
Ahh. Well, next time you see a bargain, wanna SMS me directly? It's the only way I'll ever see something quickly!

Ydahs

Odd question, but where can I usually find the most homeless people around Melbourne CBD? I'm planning to hand out some shirts and cash before Christmas to around a dozen and want to make sure I can cover enough areas in a day. All I know is around Central and Flinders Street station, where I can probably find half a dozen. Cheers.

markot

Banned
Odd question, but where can I usually find the most homeless people around Melbourne CBD? I'm planning to hand out some shirts and cash before Christmas to around a dozen and want to make sure I can cover enough areas in a day. All I know is around Central and Flinders Street station, where I can probably find half a dozen. Cheers.

Send me the money and ill sort if out for you.

Swanston St is your best bet.

Shaneus

Yup, that's about right. Particularly around train stations as well, but I'd have said along Swanston from about Bourke St.-ish towards Flinders.

Shaneus

Mother of god:
So here's what Assault Android Cactus would look like as an FPS!

cactus_fps.gif

bobot

Neo Member

That is awesome. I've used LnE before. Great way shed some k's. Pricey. But we pay for convenience. :)

Controls the hard one to learn....

Killzone Mercenary is $22.46 on SEN

Big W clearance, use 10OFFBR to knock $10 off your order (it ignores the $5 postage though!)
Project Zero 2 is $18.88, $13.88 posted
Resident Evil 6 is $5, $5 posted
Ride to Hell Retribution is $5, $5 posted
Steel Battalion Heavy Armour is $5, $5 posted

Picked up Ride to Hell & Steel Battalion for $5 total posted, looking forward to seeing the jank :)

Danoss

Why Marketers Fear the Female Geek is an excellent and interesting article that extends far beyond what the title describes. Aside from gender-based marketing, race and sexuality are also used in this manner and for little other reason than 'it started that way'. This really needs a widespread change, and everyone will benefit from it.

We all know that marketing affects every single one of us, whether we think it does or not. We have allowed marketers to set the narrative and we do the rest of the work for them. I knew marketing was insidious, but I didn't really understand how deep the rabbit hole went. It's easy to see how much it has affected (and in a number of ways, created) the culture we see in our lives, every single day, and it is disgusting.

Look at the whole 'fake girl geek' thing, which is an abhorrent extension of exactly what this article is pointing out. Anyone with half a brain knows this isn't true, it never has been, and it only helps the product creators while hurting the community we belong to.

I recall as a child, where I wasn't completely saturated with marketing, as we are today (morning and afternoon cartoons and the like would be the extent of it), and there was the innocence and inclusiveness as there should still be. If you liked what I liked and were a likable person, you were cool in my book and that's all there was to it. Both girls and guys would be around my house playing Nintendo, or we'd be out riding bikes or in water fights. At school it'd be the same, where handball, wallball, tips, skipping rope and so on would all have a mix as all were welcome. Of course some of these activities would often be predominantly male or female, it didn't matter, the only thing that would get you dis-invited or driven out would be if you were a prick.

I know this is nothing special and most here would have experienced the same, but its a shame that it may have been different for some or that it may change as some get older. Gender-specific recreation of any kind is dumb (contact sports I understand why) and a lot of those who believe it's not and won't stray outside of it don't know what they're missing. Skipping was predominantly girls, but damn if Jump Rope for Heart didn't change that up. Pulling off a criss-cross or doing double dutch for the first time or even an extended time felt just as awesome as a great powershot in handball or a good tackle in footy, and for me, the former two were far more memorable and still stick with me today.

Dead Man

Why Marketers Fear the Female Geek is an excellent and interesting article that extends far beyond what the title describes. Aside from gender-based marketing, race and sexuality are also used in this manner and for little other reason than 'it started that way'. This really needs a widespread change, and everyone will benefit from it.

We all know that marketing affects every single one of us, whether we think it does or not. We have allowed marketers to set the narrative and we do the rest of the work for them. I knew marketing was insidious, but I didn't really understand how deep the rabbit hole went. It's easy to see how much it has affected (and in a number of ways, created) the culture we see in our lives, every single day, and it is disgusting.

Look at the whole 'fake girl geek' thing, which is an abhorrent extension of exactly what this article is pointing out. Anyone with half a brain knows this isn't true, it never has been, and it only helps the product creators while hurting the community we belong to.

I recall as a child, where I wasn't completely saturated with marketing, as we are today (morning and afternoon cartoons and the like would be the extent of it), and there was the innocence and inclusiveness as there should still be. If you liked what I liked and were a likable person, you were cool in my book and that's all there was to it. Both girls and guys would be around my house playing Nintendo, or we'd be out riding bikes or in water fights. At school it'd be the same, where handball, wallball, tips, skipping rope and so on would all have a mix as all were welcome. Of course some of these activities would often be predominantly male or female, it didn't matter, the only thing that would get you dis-invited or driven out would be if you were a prick.

I know this is nothing special and most here would have experienced the same, but its a shame that it may have been different for some or that it may change as some get older. Gender-specific recreation of any kind is dumb (contact sports I understand why) and a lot of those who believe it's not and won't stray outside of it don't know what they're missing. Skipping was predominantly girls, but damn if Jump Rope for Heart didn't change that up. Pulling off a criss-cross or doing double dutch for the first time or even an extended time felt just as awesome as a great powershot in handball or a good tackle in footy, and for me, the former two were far more memorable and still stick with me today.

That is a really good article man, thanks for posting it. I think they could have used some more modern examples to back up some of their stuff, but it seems like a pretty decent explanation of the feedback cycle in marketing.

My son has developed this annoying "girls can't do that!" thing that pops up from time to time, despite us rarely referring to gender in the household. He only watches ABC2 so he isn't even bombarded with advertisements!

:(

r1chard

My son has developed this annoying "girls can't do that!" thing that pops up from time to time, despite us rarely referring to gender in the household. He only watches ABC2 so he isn't even bombarded with advertisements!
Yeah, sadly our kids eventually mix with other people and some of them are narrow-minded douchebags who truly believe crap like that. Oh and if a boy touches something pink he'll catch teh gays. (I am seriously not even slightly bending the truth of something a mother actually said to her kid while in my earshot).

Dead Man

Yeah, sadly our kids eventually mix with other people and some of them are narrow-minded douchebags who truly believe crap like that. Oh and if a boy touches something pink he'll catch teh gays. (I am seriously not even slightly bending the truth of something a mother actually said to her kid while in my earshot).

A mother? Not just a kid? Fucking hell.

r1chard

A mother? Not just a kid? Fucking hell.
I kinda knew we were going to be in for a rough ride when, at the very first all-families gathering of the mum's group (so the kids are all of a couple of months old) one of the mums quite proudly started explaining her plan to groom her new daughter to grow up to be the wife of a golf player. Some people, y'know?

My son used to have a pretty boss purple tutu he used to rock back in the day :(

Not sure where it's coming from, probably just a phase at the moment. He still has his pink elephant blanket as a backup to his OG blue doggie blanket so it's not like he is completely against that stereotyped stuff.

Dead Man

I kinda knew we were going to be in for a rough ride when, at the very first all-families gathering of the mum's group (so the kids are all of a couple of months old) one of the mums quite proudly started explaining her plan to groom her new daughter to grow up to be the wife of a golf player. Some people, y'know?

That poor girl :(

My son used to have a pretty boss purple tutu he used to rock back in the day :(

Not sure where it's coming from, probably just a phase at the moment. He still has his pink elephant blanket as a backup to his OG blue doggie blanket so it's not like he is completely against that stereotyped stuff.

He'll be fine, his old man seems okay.

2 successful days of parties for my 3 year old's birthday. Uncle Rezbit had to come in and give him a bigger Hulk toy than I did though. Show off.

That's frighteningly specific.

The human race is fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom