• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

This part really gets me:

They cite the difficulties of medical transfer as one of the most persistent conflicts they face in fulfilling their duty of care to their patients. Making a difficult situation worse, according to the doctors, are “widespread problems of data management” at International Health and Medical Services, the private contractor that supplies doctors to the island.

In so many ways this is not right.
Data management problem? Fix it.
Private contractor (ugh, that's a surprise) not cutting it? Change them or bring the job in-house and do it right.

If it's a persistent problem, why not have a persistent solution to match it? If transferring patients is difficult, do a better job of bringing doctors to them. Minimise the problem and transfer distance with better on-site facilities or move the site to the mainland.

No decent human being would tolerate family or friends being treated like this. Being family or friend of someone else doesn't make it better somehow.

The IHMS website has this on the front page:

International Health and Medical Services manages health systems on behalf of governments and international organisations. We provide healthcare in both remote and urban settings, delivering a consistent standard of care even in physically and culturally challenging environments.

If their standard of care is consistent, then I would assume that their operations elsewhere are equally as shitty. I'm sure that assumption is wrong, because no one here would accept being treated so poorly.

I think that is quite often it. And with a quip like that you could be working in NY in no time ;)

I think so too. No one who doesn't support whatever foul thing was said would ever defend anything more than their right to say it.

One evening I was at the Coolibah in Merrylands, which is not known for having the best clientele by any stretch. The staff were great though. This one bloke was being smart to security and was driven off the property by one of them. He decided to continue being smart and informed this mountain of a man that he couldn't do anything as he was no longer standing on the property (he was right next to it to really drive it home). How does the saying go? "A smart mouth will get a fat lip".

There was an almighty CRACK that echoed through the parking lot as this smartarse was slapped across the face. He was then pushed to the ground and held there, by which I would assume was some variety of pressure point. I heard a cry of terror, "Mark, HELP ME! MARK!" as he called out to his mate standing not far behind him. I saw Mark take a step forward and then immediately withdraw it, clearly taking a second, wiser thought.

Sure, you can say whatever you want. You'll get what's coming to you when you do, it might not happen immediately like Mark's mate, but it's coming.

I'll never forget the night that happened, because it's hilarious. The sound of that slap was amazing and rivals the crack of the biggest punch I have ever seen thrown (by a mate of mine in high school). Myself and those present still imitate his fearsome cry to this day with regularity. I will note that he was told as he was held on the ground something along the lines of "it was just a little slap mate, what's wrong with you?"

Adrian121

If I was offered holiday pay rates I would work it!

Little guy gets up early enough we would do all the presents stuff before I had to leave for work and I finish work at 4pm so plenty of time to get to Christmas dinner! As it stands we will be at the in-laws so hopefully I'll be blotto in no time flat :)

I wouldn't have a problem working Christmas if I had a normal shift because like I said, the public holiday rates are great. Its more so the fact I have an extended shift working 12 hours from 9am - 9pm so by the time I get home Christmas will pretty much be over. :(

I guess its just because Ive never worked on Christmas before and am used to spending it with my family all the time. Bah, I guess Im just being a big baby! Ill be making more money in this one day than I would if I worked a few normal days, so Ill just focus on that.

I wouldn't have a problem working Christmas if I had a normal shift because like I said, the public holiday rates are great. Its more so the fact I have an extended shift working 12 hours from 9am - 9pm so by the time I get home Christmas will pretty much be over. :(

Yeah 12 hours straight would really suck. My work hours are awesome which is the only reason it would be okay.

When I ran a pizza shop I worked 6 12 hours days the week of Christmas, so much fucking money :)

Dead Man

This part really gets me:

In so many ways this is not right.
Data management problem? Fix it.
Private contractor (ugh, that's a surprise) not cutting it? Change them or bring the job in-house and do it right.

If it's a persistent problem, why not have a persistent solution to match it? If transferring patients is difficult, do a better job of bringing doctors to them. Minimise the problem and transfer distance with better on-site facilities or move the site to the mainland.

No decent human being would tolerate family or friends being treated like this. Being family or friend of someone else doesn't make it better somehow.

The IHMS website has this on the front page:

If their standard of care is consistent, then I would assume that their operations elsewhere are equally as shitty. I'm sure that assumption is wrong, because no one here would accept being treated so poorly.
The people in community detention have to go through IHMS, and from personal experience, they are a fucking mess. It is not spiteful, I think, just pure incompetence and utterly shambolic organisation.

I think so too. No one who doesn't support whatever foul thing was said would ever defend anything more than their right to say it.

One evening I was at the Coolibah in Merrylands, which is not known for having the best clientele by any stretch. The staff were great though. This one bloke was being smart to security and was driven off the property by one of them. He decided to continue being smart and informed this mountain of a man that he couldn't do anything as he was no longer standing on the property (he was right next to it to really drive it home). How does the saying go? "A smart mouth will get a fat lip".

There was an almighty CRACK that echoed through the parking lot as this smartarse was slapped across the face. He was then pushed to the ground and held there, by which I would assume was some variety of pressure point. I heard a cry of terror, "Mark, HELP ME! MARK!" as he called out to his mate standing not far behind him. I saw Mark take a step forward and then immediately withdraw it, clearly taking a second, wiser thought.

Sure, you can say whatever you want. You'll get what's coming to you when you do, it might not happen immediately like Mark's mate, but it's coming.

I'll never forget the night that happened, because it's hilarious. The sound of that slap was amazing and rivals the crack of the biggest punch I have ever seen thrown (by a mate of mine in high school). Myself and those present still imitate his fearsome cry to this day with regularity. I will note that he was told as he was held on the ground something along the lines of "it was just a little slap mate, what's wrong with you?"

Gold.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Thank you Secret Santa (whoever you are).

2013-12-23%2017.12.39.jpg

I'm going enjoy these a lot this christmas.

Shaneus

Call your local EB Shaneus, sounds like they are dumping a bunch of pre-order stock that hasn't been picked up so go go go.
I just returned from JB:
DZGeJqB.jpg

Saw a massive sign that said "XBOX ONE AND PS4 IN STOCK". Went in and had a look around, couldn't see anything obvious, went back outside to double-check the sign, went in to ask the dude and he said "Yeah, we had a bunch of preorder cancellations, 30 went on sale at 3pm, there's 5 left"... this was at 6pm.

So, shiny new PS4 owner!

PS. Thanks for letting me know via SMS like I suggested, you mug :p

PPS. Before anything else, I'm putting that NES vinyl on there. Damn straight.

We should play some Left 4 Dead 2 again soon. Starting to crave human contact outside my family circle again.

I just returned from JB:
DZGeJqB.jpg

Saw a massive sign that said "XBOX ONE AND PS4 IN STOCK". Went in and had a look around, couldn't see anything obvious, went back outside to double-check the sign, went in to ask the dude and he said "Yeah, we had a bunch of preorder cancellations, 30 went on sale at 3pm, there's 5 left"... this was at 6pm.

So, shiny new PS4 owner!
Woo! Get Resogun going on that thing ASAP! Then remote play it to the Vita! Woo!

PS. Thanks for letting me know via SMS like I suggested, you mug :p
I SAID I DONT KNOW WHERE MY PHONE IS!

on a less embarrassing note, max Payne 3? y/n
If you bought it for $3 from GameFly the other day, YES.

If you are paying more than $20 for it? Probably no.

There is something really fucking terrible about it but I can't put my finger on it. It looks great, aside from the FUCKING FUCKING FUCKITY FUCK stupid post-processing effects. The writing is interesting and at the same time incredibly terrible. The music every now and then has a really strong, nice moment but for the most part drones on in the wrong mood (which makes sense since a band made the music rather than scored the game, thankfully they remedied that mistake for GTA5). The gunplay is restricted and takes a lot of potential enjoyment out of the equation in the pursuit of accurate physics.
It's still enjoyable enough though.

Max Payne 3 is the best 3rd person shooter this gen next to Gears. The game part anyway. The main issue I have it is the unskippable cutscenes. Seriously, I can't think of that many games in which it is more satisfying to shoot dudes.

I can't think of that many games in which it is more satisfying to shoot dudes.

3rd person: Vanquish

1st person: RAGE and Bulletstorm

MP3 has a damn good heft to it though. I also have the unpopular opinion that Tomb Raider has meaty weapon attacks too, every shot feels important for the first half of the game (kinda gets spammy and loses it's lustre towards the end).

ALSO SPEC OPS BUT THATS MORE DUE TO THE PSYCHOLOGICAL NATURE OF THE GAME WHERE IT BECOMES MORE AND MORE AND MORE CHUNKY AS YOU GO.

RAGE takes the cake this generation. Although you have to slot FEAR in there somewhere but it's hard to classify because I played it before the 360 came out, FEAR 2 was largely derivative of that (FEAR3 felt much less visceral from the few hours I played it, OH WAIT THE DARKNESS 2 WAS QUITE GOOD TOO).

Shaneus

I SAID I DONT KNOW WHERE MY PHONE IS!
I GET TWITTER NOTIFICATIONS ON MY PHONE MORE THAN I DO AUSGAF POSTS YOU TWIT.

Console's nice. PSN Store somehow manages to feel like complete arse STILL. Yes, it can chug like (but not as bad as) the PS3 one. Pinball Arcade is sweet, though I suspect we're getting gouged on prices. Yet to try Resogun.

And I think there's a problem with limited/full-RGB. Blacks be lookin' grey, yo.

Now that you mentioned Spec Ops, I was pretty surprised by how competent the shooting was considering how much it gets lambasted for being an average game with an interesting story. Yeah it had the shooting gallery feel to it but it was no worse than any COD game and the ride, ignoring narrative beats, took you to some interesting locales. Pretty good game tbh, I really enjoyed it. Played it in one night

Also, it isn't exactly fair to throw Vanquish into the equation. It eats everything. Feels more like Devil May Guns than a shooting game anyway

I GET TWITTER NOTIFICATIONS ON MY PHONE MORE THAN I DO AUSGAF POSTS YOU TWIT.

Console's nice. PSN Store somehow manages to feel like complete arse STILL. Yes, it can chug like (but not as bad as) the PS3 one. Pinball Arcade is sweet, though I suspect we're getting gouged on prices. Yet to try Resogun.

And I think there's a problem with limited/full-RGB. Blacks be lookin' grey, yo.

IM SORRY THAT I DIDNT SEND UP THE SMOKE SIGNALS, ITS CLOUDY AS FUCK HERE YO

Also keep using SEN like always.

Also check here for RGB dude, make sure to run the test image

Vormund

Any other AusGAFers working on Christmas? I feel like Im the only one working (other than my co workers, of course). :(

Im working both Christmas and Boxing Day, and I bet they'll try to make me work New Years as well but I wont be having that.

The public holiday pay rate is great, though. That's what will get me through it.

I have to start work at midnight boxing day :(

so yeah my xmas is kind of ruined, but I do get penalty rates also.

Persona 4 Golden for Vita is $22.46
The Last of Us for PS3 is $35.96 (WARNING, this is 24GB so you need 48GB space before download for it to unpack!)

Now that you mentioned Spec Ops, I was pretty surprised by how competent the shooting was considering how much it gets lambasted for being an average game with an interesting story. Yeah it had the shooting gallery feel to it but it was no worse than any COD game and the ride, ignoring narrative beats, took you to some interesting locales. Pretty good game tbh, I really enjoyed it. Played it in one night

Also, it isn't exactly fair to throw Vanquish into the equation. It eats everything. Feels more like Devil May Guns than a shooting game anyway

Yeah, it's a travesty we don't get a Vanquish 2. TRAVESTY I SAY.

AusGAF, I'm about to give away some games in some other thread but want to offer them to AusGAF first. Anyone want one of:

Bastion (Steam)
Dear Esther (Steam)
FTL (Steam)
Hitman: Blood Money (Steam)
Hotline Miami (Steam)
LIMBO (Steam)
Metro 2033 (Steam)
Mirror's Edge (Origin)
Kung Fu Strike (XBLA)
The Maw (XBLA)
Toy Soldiers (XBLA)

Arksy

AusGAF, I'm about to give away some games in some other thread but want to offer them to AusGAF first. Anyone want one of:

Bastion (Steam)
Dear Esther (Steam)
FTL (Steam)
Hitman: Blood Money (Steam)
Hotline Miami (Steam)
LIMBO (Steam)
Metro 2033 (Steam)
Mirror's Edge (Origin)
Kung Fu Strike (XBLA)
The Maw (XBLA)
Toy Soldiers (XBLA)

I'd love Metro 2033!

lexi

Banned
I really want Brothers to win the community vote thing but it probably won't. The game I want to win has never, ever, ever, ever won.

senahorse

Voted for Brothers, I have done my part. Already bought it at full price and finished it and thought it was well worth it, in fact, one of my favourite games of this year.

lexi

Banned
Chivalry won, the game that has been on sale approximately 50 times in the last 3 months. I will never fucking understand how the worst options keep being chosen.

Shaneus

Ohhh my dayum.

R7yEaE3.jpg

This is amazing! Thanks, Santapants!
What the fuck? I want that!

I might make that my outfit tomorrow. Buy a grey jumper from Best & Less, red texta and go nuts.

Wish I knew about the secret santa thing though, looks like everyone has had fun :(

I know you guys hate my bargain posts but get stuffed, here's one last one.

XBLA sale
Zuma's Revenge for 99c
Peggle for 99c, Nights DLC is 99c
Feeding Frenzy for 99c
Feeding Frenzy 2 for 99c
Frogger for $2.47
Plants vs. Zombies for $1.49
I Am Alive for $4.93
Flashback for $3.28
Charlie Murder for $3.28
Foul Play for $7.47
TMNT Out of the Shadows for $7.47
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons for $4.93 (fuck you Steam users, MS showin you how we do it)
Ducktales Remastered for $7.47
The Wolf Among Us Ep 1 for FREE
Counter-strike Global Offensive for $4.93
Deadlight for $4.93

XBL GOLD only deals
Mars War Logs for $4.97
The Bridge for $4.97
Moon Divers for $7.47
A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda EX for $7.47
Girl Fight for $4.97
Pool Nation for $4.97

XBL Games on Demand sale
Fight Night Champion for $7.48
Kane & Lynch 1 for $7.48
Bully Scholarship Edition for $4.98
Midnight Club: LA for $4.98

FUCK YOU GUYS IM OUT
MERRY XMAS

Microsoft's refusal to change their website to allow people to purchase items using their converted Microsoft Points has made sure that I haven't spent a damn cent in this sale.

I would almost be happy with the though that this has cost them money, but at some point in the near future the money that was converted from my points expires, so who truly wins out of that deal?

Not the consumer.

SUCKERS IM BACK WITH ANOTHER BARGIN

3G OLED Vita with a copy of Vita GOTY Tearaway is $199 at EB

If anyone is looking to buy the 64GB mem card from YesAsia let me know and I'll track down the $5 coupon that is floating around somewhere.

Microsoft's refusal to change their website to allow people to purchase items using their converted Microsoft Points has made sure that I haven't spent a damn cent in this sale.

I would almost be happy with the though that this has cost them money, but at some point in the near future the money that was converted from my points expires, so who truly wins out of that deal?

Not the consumer.

Yeah it's bullshit I have to turn on the 360 when I get home and manually buy these rather than just do it from the browser here at work. We are meant to be driving straight to the sister-in-laws tonight when I get off work so it fucking sucks.

ALSO IT TAKES LIKE 3 MINUTES TO BOOT THE 360 NOW

Yeah it's bullshit I have to turn on the 360 when I get home and manually buy these rather than just do it from the browser here at work. We are meant to be driving straight to the sister-in-laws tonight when I get off work so it fucking sucks.

ALSO IT TAKES LIKE 3 MINUTES TO BOOT THE 360 NOW
My issue, apart from Microsoft trying really hard to not allow me to buy stuff from them, is that due to my shitty non-internet at home I can't guarantee that I can get online easily or at all. Most nights I don't feel like going through the potential frustration or forget.

Thanks, Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom