• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
The League > Archer any day of the week. Especially the day they air episodes on.

Wat. That's blasphemy of the highest order!

Okay, I've never actually watched The League but it couldn't possibly be funnier than Archer.

It pleases me so much to see an Adam Reed show get the recognition it deserves.

Shaneus

First two seasons of The League are pretty amazing, hit it's stride quite early. I'd suggest watching those (and from memory, the first is relatively short).

Well, alright then.

Girlfriend is at work, so today will be a heady mix of gaming and watching shows in my underwear. Might add The League to the list.

The League > Archer any day of the week. Especially the day they air episodes on.

Wrong. The League was pretty great for a while, but even at its best it was never at Archer levels.

Nah. First two seasons were great, but it's gone downhill pretty rapidly since. It needs an Archer-style switchup to keep it going. Do they have fantasy NHL teams?

They do, and Chicago has one of the best loved teams in the comp. That could work. But I think the show is too far into the NFL at this stage. Raffi is still a highlight though. That episode that was all Raffi and Dirty Randy was great

Rafi was great in small doses, Season 3 of The League went downhill and has been a parody of itself ever since.

Last season of Archer was reallllly spotty. They got sick of that plotline obviously. So this season should be fantastic now that they have loosened the belt on their creativity.

Arksy

Fail gender stereotypes imo.

About a hundred years ago it was pink that was considered masculine and blue was considered feminine but for one reason that no one can really seem to work out they just swapped to the current standard of pink being a feminine colour.

ajim

Fail gender stereotypes imo.

About a hundred years ago it was pink that was considered masculine and blue was considered feminine but for one reason that no one can really seem to work out they just swapped to the current standard of pink being a feminine colour.
hot pink is my favorite colour. And I'm all man.

The dislike for The League post-season two surprises me. That excludes one of the best moments, Goldblum vinegar strokes!

Season 5 was good enough for me. Meeting out-of-towner Ted was good, Taco changing his uncle's truck several times actually worked reasonably.
I mean, just read the synopsis for S05E08:

"Taco gets not-high, and becomes sharp for the first time in years. Jenny finds that she no longer arouses Ruxin's dog. Kevin accidentally teaches Chalupa Batman his first word. Andre has never been pooped on by a bird. "

How does that not sound good. They're also everyday scenarios we can all relate to.

"Taco gets not-high, and becomes sharp for the first time in years. Jenny finds that she no longer arouses Ruxin's dog. Kevin accidentally teaches Chalupa Batman his first word. Andre has never been pooped on by a bird. "

How does that not sound good. They're also everyday scenarios we can all relate to.

I can't relate to any of that. That episode is even worse when you write it down.

Dead Man

The dislike for The League post-season two surprises me. That excludes one of the best moments, Goldblum vinegar strokes!

Season 5 was good enough for me. Meeting out-of-towner Ted was good, Taco changing his uncle's truck several times actually worked reasonably.

I feel so old and out of touch :(

Shaneus

Gah, did I throw your book/schedule out of whack, Gaz? Sorry if I did, and I wouldn't have minded if you stuck with my original choices anyway :)

BTW Nice work on the Fatman comic. I literally laughed out loud! (book quote if ever there was one)

PPS. Anyone else playing Broken Age yet? I've put an hour or two into it and it's a little too old-school adventure game-ish right now. I mean, I thought the "talk to character, click through all options until something triggers, move on" formula would've evolved a little bit with the genre by now.
But, it looks fucking stunning and the score is *great*. Voice acting could be a little better, but it's still quite a nice little game overall.

PPS. Anyone else playing Broken Age yet?
It's already been played and discussed... and I've finished the first act (IIRC at least Rep, Richard and Mega have mentioned it, assume they've finished or are close too). It's not very long.

It's old school enough to be a nice nostalgia trip but modernised a little bit too (mostly streamlining really). Way too easy. Not enough interesting characters (or rather, they're a bit interesting but not fleshed out at all) but the story is great.

Shaneus

Ah. From the sounds of it, I might not be all that far off finishing it (I guess... at least, one of the parts). But I'm in agreement so far. Liking Vella so far at this point, I think I find the hobbit's performance as the boy plays the "brat" card too heavily. Finding him more annoying than endearing :/

It's already been played and discussed... and I've finished the first act (IIRC at least Rep, Richard and Mega have mentioned it, assume they've finished or are close too). It's not very long.

It's old school enough to be a nice nostalgia trip but modernised a little bit too (mostly streamlining really). Way too easy. Not enough interesting characters (or rather, they're a bit interesting but not fleshed out at all) but the story is great.

I played it for about 15 to 30 and thought it was fun and never played it again. The boy story is uninteresting to me but the female is interesting. That said, I honestly don't really have much interest in playing :/

Love Broken Age but I used my 6ish hours available for videogames over the FRI/SAT/SUN golden time to play SR4 for some cheevos. It's a wonderful expansion pack, certainly worth $10 (I already own SR3 so at least the download will be small!).

Broken Age shall be devoured tomorrow.

FPS genre has changed into Telltale style stuff Shaneus, that's where the market shifted. More into having adventure games use the medium to be more immersive and trick the gamer into experiencing a story in a way they did not expect (i.e. Gone Hom & Stanley Parable).

I like my old P&C style though :)

Omikron

Yesterday was an enjoyable day of board gaming with some AusGAF people.

Managed to get through..

Ghost Stories
Ra
Lords of Waterdeep
Love Letter
Castle Panic
Dominion
7 Wonders

Think that was it.

Delayed trains for the win. What makes it even worse is being lied to about the wait time. If you don't know just tell me, don't just make it up.

r1chard

Managed to get through..

Ghost Stories
Ra
Lords of Waterdeep
Love Letter
Castle Panic
Dominion
7 Wonders

Think that was it.
Was indeed a bunch of fun. Would purchase this product and/or service again.

Horrendous goddamn commute on the roads in Melbourne town this morning. Ugh.

ps. I forgot to mention it, but MitchamGAF folks know about the board game store in Blackburn, yeah?

Shaneus

Love Broken Age but I used my 6ish hours available for videogames over the FRI/SAT/SUN golden time to play SR4 for some cheevos. It's a wonderful expansion pack, certainly worth $10 (I already own SR3 so at least the download will be small!).

Broken Age shall be devoured tomorrow.

FPS genre has changed into Telltale style stuff Shaneus, that's where the market shifted. More into having adventure games use the medium to be more immersive and trick the gamer into experiencing a story in a way they did not expect (i.e. Gone Hom & Stanley Parable).

I like my old P&C style though :)
Bugger, completely forgot about SR4. Oh well. From what I played it wasn't horrible and it certainly ran better on my PC than SR3 did (Volition are still cunts for leaving that title dead in the water without fixing the performance issues) but it's more of the same that I'd played before.

FPS genre? You mean, FPS has filled the gap of P&C or something? Anyway, I just thought that the adventure game itself might've evolved a little bit. And I thought the speech would've been a little more varied as well... as in, repeating the same action wouldn't result in *exactly* the same back-and-forth between characters. I'd prefer it if the first response was "Do this" and the second was "I told you to do this, you idiot" or something.

Unrelated: My Colossotron icon seems to be placing itself next to interesting icons on my iOS devices. Note the colour similarities:
FyAmTM6m.png

And I just laughed when it placed itself next to this icon:
c5zp9uem.png

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

Managed to get through..

Ghost Stories
Ra
Lords of Waterdeep
Love Letter
Castle Panic
Dominion
7 Wonders

Think that was it.

Particularly enjoyed Lords of Waterdeep and Dominion! I think they just clicked with me the best.

Love Letter I still don't get what I was doing with half the cards lol.

I had a great time trashing Holy and Ani's place. And playing board games. But mainly trashing the place and apologising with inferior beer I found in a tub at home.

When can we come and trash the place again?

Danoss

I had a great time trashing Holy and Ani's place. And playing board games. But mainly trashing the place and apologising with inferior beer I found in a tub at home.

When can we come and trash the place again?

You guys finally got together for some board games? That's excellent!

I'm surprised it took so long to happen, but I'm glad that it did. Some great games on the list of games too; I have played most of them. I do own Love Letter and haven't yet played it, which is a shame given how quick and good I have heard it is (a rare combination).

FPS genre? You mean, FPS has filled the gap of P&C or something? Anyway, I just thought that the adventure game itself might've evolved a little bit. And I thought the speech would've been a little more varied as well... as in, repeating the same action wouldn't result in *exactly* the same back-and-forth between characters. I'd prefer it if the first response was "Do this" and the second was "I told you to do this, you idiot" or something.

Whoops, that should have said Adventure, the Adventure genre :/

Most adventure games have replacement dialogue, Broken Age does too in some instances. Usually have 3-5 different lines before it loops back around. Even the old Lucasarts one had it!

What kind of evolution are you looking for? The main complaints with P&C back in the day was pixel hunting, which was kinda solved by improving graphics and generally better level design (or making everything glow or super easy as shit like Telltale stuff).

Also GT6 is $40 posted, you should buy it Shaneus!

So Black Sails seems like it could be reasonably reasonable. Nothing amazing, but anyone looking for a bit of a pirate fix should check it out.

Stackboy

As much as I bitch about JJJ, it's still the station I listen to the most. I doubt the Hottest 100 will be to my tastes, but it's still a good excuse to sit in a pool, drink beer and have a broad Australian accent.

'STRAYA.

Dig radio is worth checking out if you are in your 30's and jaded, like me.

With the SR4 specials on the weekend I took the chance to buy some cheap DLC for that game. Good fun.

Shaneus

Whoops, that should have said Adventure, the Adventure genre :/

Most adventure games have replacement dialogue, Broken Age does too in some instances. Usually have 3-5 different lines before it loops back around. Even the old Lucasarts one had it!

What kind of evolution are you looking for? The main complaints with P&C back in the day was pixel hunting, which was kinda solved by improving graphics and generally better level design (or making everything glow or super easy as shit like Telltale stuff).

Also GT6 is $40 posted, you should buy it Shaneus!
Already have GT6 :/

I'm not sure what kind of evolution I was looking for. Maybe non-specific text responses/options for conversations a la Alpha Protocol? Even with something like that, at least it's a surprise to hear what your character says when they say it. As it is, the character just repeats what's written on the screen verbatim.

Have to say though, it's a stunning looking game. I'm gobsmacked by it, TBH.

Dead Man

Already have GT6 :/

I'm not sure what kind of evolution I was looking for. Maybe non-specific text responses/options for conversations a la Alpha Protocol? Even with something like that, at least it's a surprise to hear what your character says when they say it. As it is, the character just repeats what's written on the screen verbatim.

First GT I've skipped. I just have no desire for a texture pack for GT5.

I'm not sure what kind of evolution I was looking for. Maybe non-specific text responses/options for conversations a la Alpha Protocol?
Alpha Protocol style diverse dialogue choices only work in certain circumstances though. That game gave you the power fantasy dialogue choices of Jack Bauer, James Bond, Jason Bourne and Jerry Bruckheimer. There was no emotional attachment in the style of Walking Dead because you were projecting rather than inferring yourself onto the character. Even then you get frustrated when the response isn't what you thought it would.

I WANTED TO BE SUAVE DAMN IT, NOT CREEPY!

Even with something like that, at least it's a surprise to hear what your character says when they say it. As it is, the character just repeats what's written on the screen verbatim.
I hate hate hate this in poorly made games though.
Telltale are the worst for it.
Ruined ToMI for me. When you are screaming at your monitor THAT'S NOT WHAT I WANT GUYBRUSH TO SAY YOU FUCKING FUCKS! you know something is wrong.

With the game. Not with me. My mum says I'm fine.

Also I love reading a nice line of dialogue, enjoying it after reading it, then I get to enjoy hearing how the voice actor delivers it! 2 enjoyments for the price of one!

I like having control of certain parts of a game. Character dialogue is certainly one of those parts.

Interesting you noted Alpha Protocol. Obsidian have always done a fantastic job of understanding their characters and making them feel organic and real in the experience.

PC gaming baby! High resolution textures! Does look great.

Is anyone here into fighting games? I picked up KOFXIII and SSF4 for PC. Online play has been surprisingly decent, but it would be cool to arrange some matches with locals.

Dead Man

Not sure how I feel about this:
Facebook page claiming corruption in NSW town of Mudgee irks police

Police in the New South Wales central west have asked Facebook to shut down a page claiming officers in one town are corrupt.

The page Mudgee Police Corruption launched a week ago and has more than 400 likes.

In its description it claims people in the town have been pulled over and searched unlawfully and harassed by police.

It is encouraging people to post their stories with photos and footage if possible.

The official Mudgee Local Area Command page has responded saying officers will continue to combat unlawful behaviour in the town:

Police will continue to lawfully use all of our legislated powers on those few who think they are able to have a free run on our streets.

If the lawful actions of police put these individuals in positions that are uncomfortable, maybe they should not be involved in activities that bring themselves under the notice of police.

Recently a local Facebook page has commenced, that aims to denigrate police. Many of the posts have removed certain facts and twisted the story to suit their own needs. Many have been dealt with in a Court of law with convictions recorded.

We urge people not to like this page or show it any form of support - Mudgee Local Area Command.

Police say anyone with complaints about the behaviour of officers should take them to the senior officers at the local commands, Professional Standards Command, or the independent Police Integrity Unit and NSW Ombudsman.

The Local Area Command's Acting Crime Manager, David Pearce, has told the ABC that he has made a complaint about the page to Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/mrfknbmz?ref=stream

Dude running it seems like a bit of a nutter, but it seems like it should be something the police should have to deal with rather than shutting it down.

Shaneus

Dude running it seems like a bit of a nutter, but it seems like it should be something the police should have to deal with rather than shutting it down.
Choc?

Alpha Protocol style diverse dialogue choices only work in certain circumstances though. That game gave you the power fantasy dialogue choices of Jack Bauer, James Bond, Jason Bourne and Jerry Bruckheimer. There was no emotional attachment in the style of Walking Dead because you were projecting rather than inferring yourself onto the character. Even then you get frustrated when the response isn't what you thought it would.

I WANTED TO BE SUAVE DAMN IT, NOT CREEPY!

I hate hate hate this in poorly made games though.
Telltale are the worst for it.
Ruined ToMI for me. When you are screaming at your monitor THAT'S NOT WHAT I WANT GUYBRUSH TO SAY YOU FUCKING FUCKS! you know something is wrong.

With the game. Not with me. My mum says I'm fine.

Also I love reading a nice line of dialogue, enjoying it after reading it, then I get to enjoy hearing how the voice actor delivers it! 2 enjoyments for the price of one!

I like having control of certain parts of a game. Character dialogue is certainly one of those parts.

Interesting you noted Alpha Protocol. Obsidian have always done a fantastic job of understanding their characters and making them feel organic and real in the experience.

PC gaming baby! High resolution textures! Does look great.
Well, AP was the first thing I thought of, but it perhaps wasn't the most accurate. I was thinking something more like an option that says "Where can I find Steve?" but the dialogue is actually "Hi, I've lost my best friend Steve. Do you know where I could find him?". Just keep it interesting, I guess. The mood/tone thing is definitely much better suited to AP than an adventure game.

But yeah, it's just kind of surprised me with how "traditional adventure game" it turned out to be. I haven't played much of Grim Fandango, but even that came across as being more dynamic than Broken Age.

I think if Broken Age had tried to be too adventurous at not being a regular adventure game, a lot of backers would have cried bloody murder. The Kick Starter was for 'old school adventure game', and that's pretty much what you got.

I agree that seeing a line of dialogue then hearing it read isn't that great. But, what can be funny is when there's multiple funny lines of dialogue and you only get one shot at choosing one. That's when you get a sort of meta joke with all the different choices you can make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom