• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazunta

Thanks guys. Any time anyone says something nice or helps spread the word about my stuff it gets me one step closer to the dream.

OH GOD I HAVE TO GO OUTSIDE NOW, GOODBYE EVERYONE IT WAS NICE BEING ALIVE.

lexi

Banned
Thanks guys. Any time anyone says something nice or helps spread the word about my stuff it gets me one step closer to the dream.

OH GOD I HAVE TO GO OUTSIDE NOW, GOODBYE EVERYONE IT WAS NICE BEING ALIVE.

It was worse yesterday, I just walked to and from Emporium Grill'd.

jFIo9bE.png

I do Work for the Dole, and a boss told me today that they are trying to get to pay me for two days a week on top of the Work for the Dole hours (which is 16.25 hours spread over three days). It is up to a boss that is slightly higher up.

I am on the phone for Centrelink to ask about how this would change things, to confirm I am understanding their website. Since the website is saying much different from what I expected. The text of the website and the income calculator feature is much better for me than I expected.

I was expecting just getting the difference between what I would get from employment and Newstart Allowance, which I estimated to be just $6. Which I'd see if I could cancel the payments over and just volunteer the difference in hours they wanted. I thought when I was on Youth Allowance 5+ years ago and worked a casual job that I just got the difference.

But it seems to just be a small reduction in what the government payment is.

The wait time for the phone to contact Centrelink was given as 70 minutes.

EDIT: It turns out that the "Working Credits" question on the calculator is terrible. Working credits are how much you can get from employment before they start taking money from the payment, which means if you answer this question they give you information that only works for (in my case) a month. To get a longer-term figure, you say you have 0 working credits! So I get halfway between what I expected and what the website was saying.

I do Work for the Dole, and a boss told me today that they are trying to get to pay me for two days a week on top of the Work for the Dole hours (which is 16.25 hours spread over three days). It is up to a boss that is slightly higher up.

I am on the phone for Centrelink to ask about how this would change things, to confirm I am understanding their website. Since the website is saying much different from what I expected. The text of the website and the income calculator feature is much better for me than I expected.

I was expecting just getting the difference between what I would get from employment and Newstart Allowance, which I estimated to be just $6. Which I'd see if I could cancel the payments over and just volunteer the difference in hours they wanted. I thought when I was on Youth Allowance 5+ years ago and worked a casual job that I just got the difference.

But it seems to just be a small reduction in what the government payment is.

The wait time for the phone to contact Centrelink was given as 70 minutes.

EDIT: It turns out that the "Working Credits" question on the calculator is terrible. Working credits are how much you can get from employment before they start taking money from the payment, which means if you answer this question they give you information that only works for (in my case) a month. To get a longer-term figure, you say you have 0 working credits! So I get halfway between what I expected and what the website was saying.

Sounds about right. I was on the phone with them for 3 hours once, just waiting.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I don't suppose any adelaideans know of any fodmaps diet friendly restaurants in adelaide do you?

I'm down for the weekend and was heading out to dinner with a friend but due to medical reasons they're on a fodmaps diet and are struggling to find places to eat out.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I don't suppose any adelaideans know of any fodmaps diet friendly restaurants in adelaide do you?

I'm down for the weekend and was heading out to dinner with a friend but due to medical reasons they're on a fodmaps diet and are struggling to find places to eat out.

What can't they eat?

Fructose? lactose? sorbitol?

Dead Man

Not off the top of my head, but I also have no idea what fodmaps is, looking it up now.

All day breakfast!

1011113_10152211543663254_1688981194_n.jpg

Ruh roh.

Too bad you can't have the cat there for her. Good that you are having time with her, and don't feel guilty for being frustrated sometimes. It's normal when dealing with loved ones with dementia. Doesn't mean you love her less. Make sure she doesn't steal your man though ;)

Thanks deadman :) Yeah, it's a cranky stray she sort of adopted so unfortunately we can't really take it. She has started playing GTA5 though, which is especially funny since I don't think she realises it's a game.

HolyCheck

What can't they eat?

Fructose? lactose? sorbitol?
Thanks all!

Its basically a giant list of shit covering many different things. Its an odd list. Found a few places by asking on their fbs.

Also will be home tonight by 10:30 hopefully. So I can watch the genius if I'm not too tired. Its been hell not reading your spoilers. So tempting.

R1chard, do that before the end of jan and you get the bitch seat next boardgames!

Or do I watch the second half of wolf on wallstreet. I can't believe Leo got 10mil and jonah hill got 60k lol. But good on him. He wanted the roll so bad

Or hart of dixie omg so many choices

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I'm doing the fodmap diet at the moment, Mostly because I have fructose malabsorption, which is why I asked if they were trying to not eat a specific thing.

Most things aren't too hard. As long as they know what they can't eat, it's really not that difficult.

HolyCheck

I'm doing the fodmap diet at the moment, Mostly because I have fructose malabsorption, which is why I asked if they were trying to not eat a specific thing.

Most things aren't too hard. As long as they know what they can't eat, it's really not that difficult.

Yeh at the moment it's everything. First week or two before seeing the dr again

I had forgotten how fucking awful Volition PC ports are in terms of random bugs.

About 50% of the way through Saints Row 4 and it now hangs/refuses to load gameworld after a cutscene plays.

Happy happy joy joy!

I just want to play the fucking thing. I hate having to dick around with PC games sometimes to get them to work >_<

On a positive note this is amazing

yeah storms after the heatwave down here was just a little bit of thunder and some lightning you could hardly see. didnt even rain.
colour me disappointed

I did that earlier in the month. Extended though, back to back. 11 hours well spent.

Just about to finish Fellowship. Good times. Netflix doesn't have the other 3 though, so will have to buy the blurays or rip my dad's copy of the extended editions.

edit: Viggo is probably my favourite character.

Watch the behind the scenes and making of videos if you have them. I picked up the extended blu ray pack from Amazon last year for $40 only :p

It's hard for me to rate a favorite character or movie from the trilogy.

Fellowship is probably the most balanced and well paced part of the trilogy. There is a a lot of footage in the extended versions of all three that I wish was included in the theatrical cut.

This is my fucking triumph of tonight: http://megadriven.net/personal/unity/01_JustGotShootingWorking/01_JustGotShootingWorking.html

From 11pm to 3am (now), I watched through LOTR and in between watching the hobbits being fucking retards, got the dregs of a 3D Smash TV going. I'm not handling shooting how I want to yet (though its working great currently!) but the effects are how I want (aside from the laser material) and the movement is great.

I am so fucking happy right now. And tired. Bed time.

edit: Please forgive the Kritz-modelling also. :)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yeh at the moment it's everything. First week or two before seeing the dr again

Yea thats normal. Get them to actually do what I did and do the breath testing. That way they will be able to see what's giving them problems which will make eating a little easier.

It's suggested to do it for 2 - 6 weeks going by the Monash app. Which they should consider getting even though it's $10. Has a list of food and recipes.

I had forgotten how fucking awful Volition PC ports are in terms of random bugs.
I had one crash throughout a singly player runthrough of Saints Row 4. Maybe the same with 3.

Co-op sucks though, I remember thinking 3 wasn't so great but 4 I could barely get a game working for more than a few minutes.

New PS+ incoming

Entering PS Plus:
29th January: Metro Last Light
29th January: BioShock Infinite
29th January: Dynasty Warriors Next
29th January: ModNation Racers: Road Trip
5th February: Outlast

NFI what we will get if Outlast isn't classified by then, hopefully Choc is onto it :/

The 2 best FPS games of last year for free? Insane!

DON'T FORGET TO ADD THESE TO YOUR COLLECTION BEFORE THEY DISAPPEAR ON THE FOLLOWING DATES

Leaving PS Plus:
29th January: DmC Devil May Cry
29th January: Remember Me
29th January: Soul Sacrifice Vita
29th January: Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend Vita
29th January: GTA Liberty City Stories PSP/Vita
5th February: Don’t Starve
5th February: RESOGUN

Resogun leaving PS+ makes me think Drive Club isn't as far away as we think it is!

OlliOlli for Vita is out now too. $11.56 for PS+ at launch. Might wait for a sale on it.

I had one crash throughout a singly player runthrough of Saints Row 4. Maybe the same with 3.

Co-op sucks though, I remember thinking 3 wasn't so great but 4 I could barely get a game working for more than a few minutes.

Yeah I was venting mainly. Of course it starts freezing after I pay for the damn thing lol

I'll have a tinker tonight. Kinda looking forward to it now, but last night I just wanted to play a game damnit!

DealOctopus, what is your thoughts on a DMC HD collection for PS3? Where to bai

Magic 8-ball is advising it could be coming to PS+ IGC sooner rather than later. I'll guess April. Just a hunch though.

In terms of buying a physical copy, $20 at OzGameShop. Postage times have been much better lately, got my board games in a week!

If you can hunt down a copy at EB it should be $30 but I haven't seen any for ages, pre-owned are $30 too.

True Detective is fantastic.

I feel like a husk who wonders why I still want to exist on this coil but it's fantastic.

Very stylish. Very acting. Very direction. Very writing. Very good focus on characters over the case.

Watch it, watch it as soon as you can. Sit down and soak in the perfectly shot scenes and constant dense symbolism.

This, a thousand times this! Only watched the first ep but I was pretty impressed.

Feels like a Michael Mann film.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national...n-taxpayers-to-foot-newlywed-counselling-bill

These people are so out of touch with modern relationships. It's not like the 40's where the first time you live with your partner is when you get married.

"There are some things you don't even think about or are not aware of until you get married; your beliefs, your ideas about finances or children," Ms Holden said.

"You are also getting used to living with someone, so there are issues that pop up in that first year that you don't anticipate. Having a place to talk about that is a good thing."

Oh yeah, watched The Genius episode seven last night...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

For Jinho to be outed that way bites the big one. I'd always hoped for either a proper showdown with Yohwan or at least someone to legitimately outsmart him. A horrible way to go - definitely tense, but in no way showcasing any "genius" traits.

I'll still watch out the season, but most of the people left are not really endearing in any way for me. Sangmin is a proper bastard, which is fun to watch, and Hongchul is just insane - CHWA! - so that's a nice spanner in the works, but I don't give a crap about any of the others.

The best qualities of Jinho are that he seemed to somehow remain honourable in the face of everyone else screwing everyone over. Sure, he screwed over his fair share of people too, but if someone helped him he rarely turned on them. Definitely my favourite, but this season he didn't have that much of an impact.

These people are so out of touch with modern relationships.
I just Google the person quoted in the article. From her age in the picture I found, yeah, she's probably out of touch with how modern relationships work...

If you don't know your partners beliefs, position on children and the like before you get married nowadays, more fool you I guess.

What's the actual difference between a Pilsner and a Lager?
Well...

There's two different "types" of beer, generally: ales and lagers. Lagers are almost always lighter beers but for ales there's a wide gamut (for homebrewers, ales are much easier since the yeast strains are more tolerant to heat). Ales being virtually everything else (stout, wheat beers, pale ales, sour beers). Lager and ale yeast is a different strain, lager using bottom fermenting yeast and ales top fermenting yeast. Top fermenting yeast floats to the top and makes a lot of foam ("krausen"), floating to the bottom when it dies whereas bottom fermenting floats to the bottom during fermentation.

Pilsners are technically an ale due to the yeast used. It's a beer from Eastern Europe (specifically from Plzen in Czech Republic, a place famous for clean and soft water). They traditionally use Saaz for bittering, which is a "noble hop" (an older strain, not bred for any particular qualities but left as it was hundreds of years ago). Usually a pilsner will have a bit more maltiness than a "lager". Pilsner Urquell is the traditional example. If you're in Melbourne, Temple Brewery should still have some of their Resurrection Pilsner, which is a pre-prohibition American style pilsner and is excellent.

I'm not sure how you'd categorise beers like VB, Corona, Carlton Draught etc, since they don't really fit into standard categories as suggested by places like Periodic Beer (although there are BJCP categories for pale lagers, and they do fit into those).

tl;dr: They're completely different, but taste almost the same.

Pilsner is french for Lager.
Or that.

Arksy

Well...

There's two different "types" of beer, generally: ales and lagers. Lagers are almost always lighter beers but for ales there's a wide gamut (for homebrewers, ales are much easier since the yeast strains are more tolerant to heat). Ales being virtually everything else (stout, wheat beers, pale ales, sour beers). Lager and ale yeast is a different strain, lager using bottom fermenting yeast and ales top fermenting yeast. Top fermenting yeast floats to the top and makes a lot of foam ("krausen"), floating to the bottom when it dies whereas bottom fermenting floats to the bottom during fermentation.

Pilsners are technically an ale due to the yeast used. It's a beer from Eastern Europe (specifically from Plzen in Czech Republic, a place famous for clean and soft water). They traditionally use Saaz for bittering, which is a "noble hop" (an older strain, not bred for any particular qualities but left as it was hundreds of years ago). Usually a pilsner will have a bit more maltiness than a "lager". Pilsner Urquell is the traditional example. If you're in Melbourne, Temple Brewery should still have some of their Resurrection Pilsner, which is a pre-prohibition American style pilsner and is excellent.

I'm not sure how you'd categorise beers like VB, Corona, Carlton Draught etc, since they don't really fit into standard categories as suggested by places like Periodic Beer (although there are BJCP categories for pale lagers, and they do fit into those).

tl;dr: They're completely different, but taste almost the same.

Or that.

Well that was fairly comprehensive.

Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom