• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
cool lots of arctic monkeys there. i havent listened to them in years. i look forward to hearing some of their new stuff.

Man how old are you guys that you don't know this stuff?

So old.

You guys are old.

Please don't let me be old :/

I hope their predicted #1 isn't #1 :/

^ Ooh jelly

By the looks of the top 10 of that warmest 100, I'm not missing much.

Mmm but it's not like JJJ are the gatekeepers for all new music. I'm sure whatever you are into, there's some new stuff like that being released that's interesting. (Unless you happen to be into some dead genres or something)

Shaneus

I didn't vote because I didn't really listen to the radio much last year, not because I'm too oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg just yet. If I did vote it'd mostly just be tracks off Bowie and She and Him's new albums.
I shit you not, I'm surprised how much I enjoyed the new She & Him album (and not just because of what's-her-name). Good to hear unadulterated, innocent, playful music these days :)

It's an IT job. Apparently his title is "special projects manager" and it earns him $70K a year.
Work in Melbourne? Possible hint as to the business name (such as a first letter)? Just looking out for my own workplace, lolz

As someone who deals with them on a daily basis, you don't need to know anything to be an IT project manager. He'll fit in just fine.

Truthbomb.

Had a good laugh with an IT guy yesterday. Had to change the email filter system for him.

Wasn't as jovial when I received 100 odd emails that second which were all rather important. Thanks for turning that on a month ago without telling anyone!

As someone who deals with them on a daily basis, you don't need to know anything to be an IT project manager. He'll fit in just fine.
If you're managing a project, you don't need to really know anything specific about whatever it is you're managing. Whether it's IT, engineering, game development, building, etc. You need to be able to trust your team and a BA if you have one to be able to tell you honestly how long things take, but you don't need that knowledge, just knowledge of scheduling things and people management. If you know something about what you're managing, it helps, but I don't think it's a necessity...

Work in Melbourne? Possible hint as to the business name (such as a first letter)? Just looking out for my own workplace, lolz

Brisbane. I don't even know the name of the business.

I'm sure you could get away with it, if you are smart about it. But this guy makes enemies everywhere he goes and is seriously lacking in "people skills".

It will be entertaining to see what happens.

Dead Man

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-23/abbott-vows-to-promote-free-trade-as-g20-chair/5216230
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has called for freer trade and increased global growth in a keynote speech at the World Economic Forum in Switzerland.

He told the audience of business and political leaders that stimulating growth through encouraging business was the single most effective means of promoting continued global progress.

Mr Abbott, who is the chair of the G20 in Brisbane later this year, said the world was 30 million jobs short of where it was ahead of the global financial crisis.

He said, however, the crisis did not change the laws of economics.

"You can't spend what you haven't got," Mr Abbott told the meeting in Davos.

"No country has ever taxed or subsidised its way to prosperity. You don't address debt and deficit with yet more debt and deficit.

"And profit is not a dirty word, because success in business is something to be proud of."

Mr Abbott said that as a trading nation, Australia would make the most of its G20 presidency to promote free trade.

"People trade with each other because it's in their interests to do so," he said.

"And just as trade within countries increases wealth, trade between countries increases wealth.

"That's why we should all be missionaries for freer trade.

"At the very least, the G20 this year should renew its commitment against protectionism and in favour of freer markets.

"Each country should renew its resolve to undo any protectionist measures put in place since the crisis."

The Prime Minister said he hoped the G20 would continue to tackle businesses artificially generating profits to chase tax opportunities.

"The essential principle is that you should normally pay tax in the country where you've earned the revenue," he said.

"My hope is to have a really frank leaders-only discussion in Brisbane about the biggest issues we face ... because taxes need to be fair as well as low in order to preserve the legitimacy of free markets."

Our PM, ladies and gentlemen.

Edit: Wrong thread. Fuck it, AusGAF can have a political post.

Mmm but it's not like JJJ are the gatekeepers for all new music. I'm sure whatever you are into, there's some new stuff like that being released that's interesting. (Unless you happen to be into some dead genres or something)

I'm happy listening to my Beatles, Rage Against the Machine, Smashing Pumpkins and.. that's probably about it. I just can't find any new music I like tbh.

Rezbit

Didn't listen to as much radio this year, but still heard enough to make a top 10. Admittedly half of the songs I chose were just new ones from bands I already liked.

Rizzi

Currently stuck on a train a Penrith due to a freight train breaking down at Kingswood. So, how are you guys doing today?

Shaneus

Royals by Lorde or Get Lucky by Daft and the Punks will get #1.

But what do I know, I'm out of the demographic.
If CHVRCHES don't get a look-in, I'll be bummed. Not that I care or anything.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-23/abbott-vows-to-promote-free-trade-as-g20-chair/5216230

Edit: Wrong thread. Fuck it, AusGAF can have a political post.
Pathetic. I couldn't believe what I was hearing when I heard (either part or all of) his speech on the radio this morning. Literally sick to my stomach.

Gazunta

I think the only radio I listen to any more is Triple Z and that's only the video game show on Wednesday night (coz video games), the lesbian show afterwards (coz great music I have never heard before), and the friday morning show (coz great music I haven't heard in decades).

Oh, and the three seconds of 97.3 that plays on the radio between the alarm going off and me smashing the alarm in anger. HA HA HA HA KATY PERRY HA HA HA HERE'S A LIST OF THINGS FROM THE INTERNET HA HA HA LOUD ADS FOR DIAMONDS AND CONVEYANCING HA HA HA ALWAYS HAVE ONE GUY IN THE BACKGROUND LAUGHING LIKE A CLOWN ATTACHED TO A METRONOME HA HA HA

NO PS4 UNTIL THE PRICEDROP >_<

And just as trade within countries increases wealth, trade between countries increases wealth.

"That's why we should all be missionaries for freer trade.
Sounds like Derek Zoolander.

Do Limp Bizkit still make music? Matt would put them #1.
They do indeed. Released a single last year, as well as a pretty good Ministry cover (well, I liked it).

If CHVRCHES don't get a look-in, I'll be bummed. Not that I care or anything.
They should be up there with a few tracks, depends on how they treat Lies and The Mother We Share as they actually came out in 2012.

Royals by Lorde is also a 2012 track but I assume Hottest 100 is just a general "most popular 100 songs at this point in time" thing.

Gazunta

Royals by Lorde is also a 2012 track but I assume Hottest 100 is just a general "most popular 100 songs at this point in time" thing.
It used to be like that until Smells Like Teen Spirit debuted at #1 and all the oldies chucked the shits because Love Will Tear Us Apart wasn't #1 like it was every year since the beginning. So the solution was to make it for releases of that year only.

Omikron

Thanks Herald Sun for affirming my disgust at your paper.

1504534_612909635423964_1044160927_n.jpg

Quasar

Vita is getting an insane amount of Japanese games this year. Most are getting localised too which is fantastic.

Its weird. Here it seems like every vita game brought up from Japan is with the caveat that it won't get a western release. Or maybe its just that I only notice the anime related games threads in terms of Vita.

Shaneus

It used to be like that until Smells Like Teen Spirit debuted at #1 and all the oldies chucked the shits because Love Will Tear Us Apart wasn't #1 like it was every year since the beginning. So the solution was to make it for releases of that year only.
I remember the first few, at least the first one or two had some amazing tracks that I doubt I'd ever see on Rage again (unless it's from some wanky "look how old-school I am!" programmer).

PS. 1995 had the best compilation CD they've ever put out... was on rotation in my local pool hall's jukebox until they got rid of the jukebox completely. Had Rock 'n' Roll is Where I Hide on it.

PS. Humble has a new pack, and it's roguelikes. I am already dad.

Gazunta

Aw, they still make editorial cartoons. That's so cute.

Enjoy losing your irrelevant job soon, you racist geriatric!

Gazunta

You guys aren't considering:

1) nobody checks anything that runs in a newspaper any more anyway, that costs money and
2) this cartoon is designed squarely for the Herald Sun demographic.

You guys aren't considering:

1) nobody checks anything that runs in a newspaper any more anyway, that costs money and
2) this cartoon is designed squarely for the Herald Sun demographic.

Are you calling my parents racist?

ARE YOU CALLING MY PARENTS RACIST?

Okay good call. They don't mean to be, it just makes it easier for them to blame their failures on.

Gazunta

Oh, it should absolutely be despised and shown to be unacceptable. I'm just saying we shouldn't be surprised that things like this happen.

In happier news, I'm finally, finally, finally getting my fucking Surface Pro 2 this weekend. just my luck something expensive will happen tomorrow to fuck that plan again haha.

Shaneus

Thanks Herald Sun for affirming my disgust at your paper.

1504534_612909635423964_1044160927_n.jpg
What the fuck. It's even more weird, because I've never thought (honestly, haven't thought that hard) Knight was that racist. But there you go.

What a fucking tool.

PS. Gaz, get your fucking priorities straight. Surface Pro 2 can wait. Adorning your mancave with glorious pinball machines can't.

PRIORITIES.

PPS. Given you seem to have done my comic already, I'm glad getting a Surface now means that I won't be one of the people who has their comic drawn while you're on the toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom