• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

Been playing Dark Heresy with my group for about a year now. So far I think we've only had three characters die. Our DM rolls a little bit in the player's favor, though. I mean, my current character is currently rolling without an arm, a leg and a face (cybernetic replacements), but whenever shit goes down I seem to always roll myself out of it. Other friends certainly haven't been able to.

We've certainly still had a party member get shot through the head, or blown out an airlock, though.

Dying in a spectacular fashion is the best part! Maybe that's just me.

I think it was Adam Scott Glancy who said "dice are the faceless, uncaring arbiters of the player's fate, merciless and without resort to any negotiation" or something very much like that. I quite like that idea. I understand why some rolls are fudged, be it dramatic effect, humour, allowing a cool idea to come to fruition, and that's fine. For me, it's great that players and GMs will put the fate of their characters, NPCs and other things in the hands of these inanimate objects that couldn't care less what the outcome was, it can bring out more creativity from everyone and take the story in an unexpected direction which I think is very interesting and entertaining.

Thanks for sharing, I love hearing stories of Dark Heresy play because when things go wrong, they tend to go very wrong and in the most humorous of ways. I honestly thought DH was far more deadly. Maybe you don't have enough Psykers in your party, making even the most basic of tasks difficult. I know I took one minor part of your post and ran with it, but I thought that was interesting and I wonder how much of an impact that may have made on the game and the success and survivability of your party.

Kritz

Banned
Thanks for sharing, I love hearing stories of Dark Heresy play because when things go wrong, they tend to go very wrong and in the most humorous of ways. I honestly thought DH was far more deadly. Maybe you don't have enough Psykers in your party, making even the most basic of tasks difficult. I know I took one minor part of your post and ran with it, but I thought that was interesting and I wonder how much of an impact that may have made on the game and the success and survivability of your party.

After our last one our DM put a short term rule that we can't have anymore psykers. We... are irresponsible with them. Giant clouds of darkness, blowing out every window in the base we're sneaking into, ... public displays of animal husbandry.

As far as things going wrong, at the moment they're mostly relating to us killing the plots. Starting civil wars, destroying priceless artifacts, blowing up a space station and raining debris into the nearby planet... that kind of thing.

Oh, I forgot, last game we did have someone die. We were talking to a doorman of some kind trying to speak with the head of some family on some moonbase we'd trapped ourselves on. I... am not good at negotiating. Read: I mixed up notes and got a rebel leader confused with the guy I was asking for. We got a door slammed on our face, the "I put int as my dumb stat" guy tried to kick the door down, door was rigged with explosives, he was ripped to pieces from the explosion, and I got hit with a sizable, though not life threatening piece of shrapnel. I cut the doorman's head off while he screamed the location of his master, the rebels having head the explosion run to our aid, and we did a not very good job of solving much of any of the moon's power struggles or poverty.

Your username is black.

Danoss

After our last one our DM put a short term rule that we can't have anymore psykers. We... are irresponsible with them. Giant clouds of darkness, blowing out every window in the base we're sneaking into, ... public displays of animal husbandry.

As far as things going wrong, at the moment they're mostly relating to us killing the plots. Starting civil wars, destroying priceless artifacts, blowing up a space station and raining debris into the nearby planet... that kind of thing.

Psykers are irresponsible by nature. You can be as careful as you want, as soon as you try and do anything helpful all hell can break loose. Stories involving them were the main drawcard for my interest in DH to begin with, I like them completely ruining everyone's best laid plans at the most inappropriate times. Your group sounds like they do compound the issue, however. That's probably not doing you any favours.

Oh, I forgot, last game we did have someone die. We were talking to a doorman of some kind trying to speak with the head of some family on some moonbase we'd trapped ourselves on. I... am not good at negotiating. Read: I mixed up notes and got a rebel leader confused with the guy I was asking for. We got a door slammed on our face, the "I put int as my dumb stat" guy tried to kick the door down, door was rigged with explosives, he was ripped to pieces from the explosion, and I got hit with a sizable, though not life threatening piece of shrapnel. I cut the doorman's head off while he screamed the location of his master, the rebels having head the explosion run to our aid, and we did a not very good job of solving much of any of the moon's power struggles or poverty.

Well, at least the guy was true to his character. He paid dearly for doing so, but I think it was worth it to turn into a blood mist for everyone else's entertainment. You would have also saved on postage by mailing him home to his family in pieces.

Your username is black.

This, I do not understand.

Gazunta

Came in here to post about POKER SMASH, top work Clive for spreading the love.

GOD DAMN POKER SMASH, RIDE ME LIKE THE WIND, I AM YOURS TO PILLAGE

POKER SMASH!!!

Kritz

Banned
Well, at least the guy was true to his character. He paid dearly for doing so, but I think it was worth it to turn into a blood mist for everyone else's entertainment. You would have also saved on postage by mailing him home to his family in pieces.

I think our group could push a bit more for playing roles a bit more strictly. I'm finally starting to branch out from my video game logic. I still catch myself metagaming occasionally, but I feel as long as I catch myself I'll eventually stop entirely.

I think I simply need to... roll more characters. I've been on the same one for a year (and a bit). Which has only really been about ten play sessions, but it's enough that the character I started off with isn't really the character I'm playing now. We did have a chance to roll new characters for a separate campaign, where I finally got to pick something unusual (a sniveling backstabbing coward, siding with the most powerful person around him). So, that was fun.

I'm looking forward to us taking a break from Dark Heresy. It's a great game as far as I'm concerned, and suits our group well. But I'd still love to play some CoC, or 3.5, or something different entirely.

Unfortunately, getting grown ass adults together for 6+ hour roleplaying sessions is getting harder and harder. :<

Danoss

I'm looking forward to us taking a break from Dark Heresy. It's a great game as far as I'm concerned, and suits our group well. But I'd still love to play some CoC, or 3.5, or something different entirely.

Unfortunately, getting grown ass adults together for 6+ hour roleplaying sessions is getting harder and harder. :<

It shouldn't be so hard, but it is for some people. I don't think most people are so busy they can't put aside some time to sit down with friends, have a laugh and roll some dice even once a fortnight. Either they are legitimately flat-out with whatever things must be done, or the level of interest just isn't there.

I'm sure you'll enjoy a break from DH and a chance to try something different. There are so many RPGs out there to experience, there isn't enough time to experience them all. I'm surprised that some groups can play the same game for so long, like decades. It would at least be nice to throw in a one-shot of something else there just to mix things up, but maybe I just don't have a game that I love so much that I want to play it above everything else, ever.

It's not a campaign type game, but I think your group might enjoy a game of Paranoia. Both the GM and players fuck with each-other and try and trip one-another up, with hilarious results. The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Muchausen sounds like it would be good too (more of a party game though), but I can't find a copy and Mongoose (who also publish Paranoia) took 2 weeks to finally reply to me and say they have no plans to ever publish that game again, available digitally though the author says he is trying to have it reprinted.

Yagharek

Motherfucker...

Hi everyone. We’re very happy to announce that it we’ve teamed up with Square Enix to bring you some great discounts across a range of titles from the epic Final Fantasy franchise.

With over 100 million units sold worldwide this is one of the most successful gaming series in history, so if you haven’t already played it, you couldn’t have picked a better time to get started!

Make sure your wallet is topped up and remember that if you don’t have access to your PS3 or PS Vita you can; now purchase directly through the online store at store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com.

These discounts will go live after the store update this Wednesday, 23rd January and will run for one week only. Enjoy!

Final Fantasy VII (Not available in Bulgaria, Croatia, Hungary, India, Israel, Kuwait, Qatar, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine)
Was €9.99/£7.99/AU$14.45; now €4.99/£3.99/AU$7.35

Final Fantasy VIII (Not available in Bulgaria, Croatia, Hungary, India, Israel, Kuwait, Qatar, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine)

Final Fantasy IX (Not available in Bulgaria, Croatia, Hungary, India, Israel, Kuwait, Qatar, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine)

Final Fantasy (PSP) (Not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Qatar)

Final Fantasy II (PSP) (Not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Qatar)

Final Fantasy V (Not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Qatar)

Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection (PSP) (Not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Qatar)
Was €19.99/£15.99/AU$29.95; now €9.99/£7.99/AU$14.45

Final Fantasy VI (Not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Qatar)
Was €9.99/£7.99/AU$14.45; now €4.99/£3.99/AU$9.75

Final Fantasy Dissidia (PSP) (Not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Qatar)
Was €19.99/£15.99/AU$29.95; now €9.99/£7.99/AU$14.45

Final Fantasy Dissidia duodecim prologus (PSP) (Not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Qatar)
Was €2.99/£2.39/AU$4.35; now €1.49/£1.19/AU$2.15

Final Fantasy Dissidia duodecim prologus (PSP and PS Vita) (Not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Qatar)
Was €1.49/£1.19/AU$2.15; now €0.75/£0.59/AU$1.05

Final Fantasy Dissidia (PSP and PS Vita) (Not available in Bulgaria, Croatia, Hungary, India, Israel, Kuwait, Qatar, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine)
Was €17.99/£13.99/€26.45; now €8.99/£7.29/AU$13.25

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of Lions (PSP and PS Vita) (Not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Qatar)

Aww man, that stinks. Why would you ban the best class ? :(
That's gold what happened
in the upstairs bedroom,
it gave me a good laugh. If people go super gung-ho, it's mean as hell when
they storm into the basement and get destroyed.
I take it in The Edge of Darkness one of them
went insane when all the stuff was approaching the building during the ritual?
Yeah,
she got kind of mauled by the hobo and the girl who went missing :p

D&D 4e is designed to be balanced, but it does heavily favour the players. If everyone rolls equally, the players will mop the floor with their enemies each encounter, TPKs should not really happen. Dark Heresy should have some casualties I would think, so you're either very lucky or he is very kind indeed; my understanding is that it's Call of Cthulhu in space. Tomb of Horrors, I think he can be as nice as possible and you'll still be very dead. It's an adventure designed to kill, you just have to think of everything that can go wrong because it's full of traps and other nasties. Not many people in the world have survived it (not sure on the 4e version though).

I think we've been playing 3.5 actually! Its hard to tell, but a lot of the time it really feels like the GM is bending the rules. Like, there will be someone on -3 health or something and he'll say "well if someone heals you I suppose it will be okay". And there was one particular campaign where we were all getting completely screwed over by a dragon, and it got to the point where he sighed and said "suddenly, a pig appears carrying a bag full of health pots" :p But I guess if people died and had to sit on their hands for 3 more hours it might be a little cruel/ less fun.

I'm certainly keen to see what my GM style is too, both excited and, strangely, a little scared. I've never ran a game before so we'll both find out at the same time!

Oooh! This'll be your first time GMing?? That is exciting!

shan kritz and danoss are driving me crazy
i need to find like 2 more people to finally get a group to play instead of living vicariously through you guys and having anticipation levels go through the roof for what danoss has been planing

Danoss

Yeah,
she got kind of mauled by the hobo and the girl who went missing :p

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that's fantastic!

I think we've been playing 3.5 actually! Its hard to tell, but a lot of the time it really feels like the GM is bending the rules. Like, there will be someone on -3 health or something and he'll say "well if someone heals you I suppose it will be okay". And there was one particular campaign where we were all getting completely screwed over by a dragon, and it got to the point where he sighed and said "suddenly, a pig appears carrying a bag full of health pots" :p But I guess if people died and had to sit on their hands for 3 more hours it might be a little cruel/ less fun.

You've been let off easy by the sounds of it, though there are many different ways to handle things and if it is an older edition there is quite possibly good reason for doing so. My experience started with 4e (barring the odd bash at AD&D in high school), so my understanding of the older editions is limited to: if the Wizard/Mage is the star of the show and the Fighter/Warrior is limited to just hitting things while the Cleric is just a healbot, you're playing 3.5e.

On 3.5e, the tales my gaming group has told me are things like the Warrior beating on some monster for ages and eventually jumping up and down in triumph, screaming "I killed it! I killed it!" while the Mage says "Good on you, luckily while you were doing that I took care of the remaining 15 monsters with minimal effort". My gaming group relates the Mage and Warrior to Angel Summoner and BMX Bandit (watch it, it's damn funny!)

Oooh! This'll be your first time GMing?? That is exciting!

Indeed. Exiting and also frightening.

anticipation levels go through the roof for what danoss has been planing

You might want to dial back your expectations somewhat. I've never done this before and am throwing myself in the deep end.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So there was a mouse running around in my room, who seemed to have a thing for my open computer case. It looks like he might have been staying in there a little bit? I dunno, there looks to be some liquid on the bottom of it.

Anyway, I managed to trap him inside of it and let him go outside.

Also taking today off, again, I'm going to hopefully head back to the doctors and tell them I want a damn ultrasound or something on my stomach. If it's all in my head after the tests then so be it, I will see a damn shrink.

So there was a mouse running around in my room, who seemed to have a thing for my open computer case.
They do seem to like living in computer cases. Server we had in Warrnambool had a mouse fused to the bottom of it a few years ago.

I am pleased to advise that Emilio 'Nuke' Delgado, of the XCOM Initiative, is now a corporal. His record of 46 kills over 14 missions is exemplary.

I don't think I'm very far into it, but last night I assaulted the (first?) alien base
and didn't take the lead guy alive
. I think I'm a bit rubbish at it, but am enjoying it a lot regardless. However I don't think there's much more to it than what I've seen, besides maybe a few more enemy types and weapons, so I don't know how much longer I'll stick with it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Just got informed ill be joining the arnieclub. Surgery on my wrist on the 8th. Where they'll cut off a hunk of bone! Yay.

Shaneus

Came in here to post about POKER SMASH, top work Clive for spreading the love.

GOD DAMN POKER SMASH, RIDE ME LIKE THE WIND, I AM YOURS TO PILLAGE

POKER SMASH!!!
I fucking swear, if that gets Greenlit before Pinball Arcade, I'll fucking explode.

Is there a thread or something for it?

markot

Banned
Greenlight more like Pita!

Srsly though its a stupid idea... just release the damn games gabe, what are you worried about? Too much competition for the Nancy drew games?!

Jintor

They are doing retail, it was probably inevitable.

Kind of funny it was available unclassified for close to half a year on Steam though.

I assume you all know about this?
Everyone should already know, thanks to Choc's wonderful @AusVGClass bot.

I know you're reading, Choc. If you're using PHP, change the publisher etc to look nicer using ucwords() and also put in a shortened link (I have some goo.gl code if you need assistance) to the actual database entry if you can get that from the API.

For you Yag :)

Unless they had to have each episode classified individually, didn't want specific episodes to get RC and be totally screwed, so decided to wait and just do the whole thing at once?

They released the initial episode as the "game" and then all the other episodes were treated as DLC which doesn't need to be classified I am fairly certain?

They did this to ensure they could release episodes on all platforms at the same time after issues in the past with Microsoft.

In any case Serrels was right, as always.

Gazunta

It was nothing to do with fears about MA15. It was all about the cost of classification factored into the number of units it was projected to sell. I guess those two numbers have changed since last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom