• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

Where's the ending?

It's not a self contained exercise in gaming like Beyond Good and Evil (which needs a sequel). It is missing a clear and defined final act.

Yagharek

I think my expectations were brought into line when I first saw Prey and Duke Nukem Forever unveiled in the late 90s. Since then, it has been a steady precession of disappointment and delays, so much so that Beyond Good and Evil 2 and The Last Guardian can come out next decade and I will still be fine with it.

Plenty of other stuff in the meantime to play, we are totally spoilt for choice these days.

I think the best case scenario to hope for in Prey 2's case is a Sleeping Dogs repeat. Theres enough of a disconnect between space western bounty hunter and and Prey. If beth has pulled the pin somone else scooping up the assets with a rename o the IP is about the only other option to see it.

They're the exact scenarios I was going to run! I was planning to use a more modern rulset, however the vibe would've been about the same. Both The Haunting and Edge of Darkness are (good) introductory adventures in the back of the CoC rulebook. They're cool because they're short and give new players a good feeling for how the game works without being too deadly, unless players are a bit too gung-ho and forgo any investigating.

No loot is so good for both sides of the table. The GM doesn't have to find and designate loot appropriate for each character and neither side is keeping track of the ever inflating numbers. The numbers part is the most infuriating; player stats go up making it easier to hit and do more damage, but the enemies defenses and health pools also go up making the whole exercise pointless aside from allowing players to indulge in power fantasies.

I will advise when I plan to run the next game, especially since you were one of the few who egged me on to do so in the first place. It's back to the drawing board for the moment since all I have outside of that are considerably longer scenarios. I might have to try and tackle something a bit larger and see how that goes.

oh dear :p well, I'd be happy to play through them again/ sit out and just watch. They were a great intro to CoC for me so they'd probably work well for everyone else too. We did have a couple of people die in our play through, but that was mostly due to gung-honess and insanity losing.

How do you plan on running it? Just over mumble? Or is there some kind if dice program we can use?

Danoss

oh dear :p well, I'd be happy to play through them again/ sit out and just watch. They were a great intro to CoC for me so they'd probably work well for everyone else too. We did have a couple of people die in our play through, but that was mostly due to gung-honess and insanity losing.

How do you plan on running it? Just over mumble? Or is there some kind if dice program we can use?

I plan on running it over Mumble for voice because we all know it's great quality and reasonably reliable (server has a fit sometimes, sending ping and jitter wildly high, but not too often). For dice rolling and, well that's about it, we'll be using Roll20, so poke your nose over there and register yourself a free account and maybe turn on 3D dice if you want something a bit more fancy (I rather like it).

Was it The Haunting that got you? I bet it was The Haunting. You have to make a colossally stupid rookie mistake combined with horribly bad luck in Edge of Darkness for someone to die. I did, however, listen to an actual play where one guy lost 2 characters, nearly 3 because of constant jackassery in Edge of Darkness. He got frustrated with the nurse outside the old mans room, yes, right at the very beginning, and a policeman came so he had an argument with him and assaulted him. The policeman threw him in lockup at the police station where he tried to escape, was caught and badly beaten then thrown away for good. Next character he went off investigating on his own to the next town to see what was going on, something happened (I think the GM was a dick in return and required a Drive roll, which he failed) and he died in a a fiery car crash. Next character
he heard a noise in the attic and started to shoot through the roof and wanted to go up there and mess with whatever was there.
He's lucky the other players stopped him or that would have likely been another character lost.

Don't feel bad for playing either of those scenarios, I'm a master of procrastination so who know when this'll happen. I will run something different when the time comes (perhaps something actually created for the system I want to use), I won't have you sitting out or biting your tongue because you know what happens or where to go for a clue. You will experience my poor GMing like everyone else, dammit!

I plan on running it over Mumble for voice because we all know it's great quality and reasonably reliable (server has a fit sometimes, sending ping and jitter wildly high, but not too often). For dice rolling and, well that's about it, we'll be using Roll20, so poke your nose over there and register yourself a free account and maybe turn on 3D dice if you want something a bit more fancy (I rather like it).

Was it The Haunting that got you? I bet it was The Haunting. You have to make a colossally stupid rookie mistake combined with horribly bad luck in Edge of Darkness for someone to die. I did, however, listen to an actual play where one guy lost 2 characters, nearly 3 because of constant jackassery in Edge of Darkness. He got frustrated with the nurse outside the old mans room, yes, right at the very beginning, and a policeman came so he had an argument with him and assaulted him. The policeman threw him in lockup at the police station where he tried to escape, was caught and badly beaten then thrown away for good. Next character he went off investigating on his own to the next town to see what was going on, something happened (I think the GM was a dick in return and required a Drive roll, which he failed) and he died in a a fiery car crash. Next character
he heard a noise in the attic and started to shoot through the roof and wanted to go up there and mess with whatever was there.
He's lucky the other players stopped him or that would have likely been another character lost.

Don't feel bad for playing either of those scenarios, I'm a master of procrastination so who know when this'll happen. I will run something different when the time comes (perhaps something actually created for the system I want to use), I won't have you sitting out or biting your tongue because you know what happens or where to go for a clue. You will experience my poor GMing like everyone else, dammit!

Man, I don't even remember there being a nurse! If anything I'd imagine there being trouble with the son. We had one guy die in the haunting when
he went inside one of the bedrooms and got knocked out the window by a bed. We made the bad decision to split up and search one room each,
and the other death was in edge of darkness when
one of our chanters went insane and ran outside.
Our GM is pretty nice though, we've never had anyone die in our dnd or dark heresy campaigns. Which kind of surprises me because one of our team members is notorious for eating everything, going everywhere alone, and picking fights for no reason. I'm told he won't be quite so merciful during our tomb of horrors playthrough though :p

I'm curious to see how different your GMing style is, since the same guy has done all of the adventures I've played. But please don't feel the need to go out of your way and pick something different cause I've already played it! I don't want you to run out of good adventures!

markot

Banned
So... Monster Hunter 3 is like the only decent game coming out for wii u soonish >_<?

Nintendo didnt learn anything from 3ds. They should just ignore 3rd parties and spend that cash on making more inhouse devs.

How are EB with used consoles? Like are they generally good or is there a risk of getting a shitty one?

Avoid 360/PS3 and you should be fine is the general consensus I have taken in. I know people with pre-owned Wii's/DS's/PS2's who haven't had any issue.

You get 12 months warranty I am fairly sure, make sure to double check in case they changed that recently.

EDIT: 3 months? That is a bit touch and go then.

Danoss

Man, I don't even remember there being a nurse! If anything I'd imagine there being trouble with the son. We had one guy die in the haunting when
he went inside one of the bedrooms and got knocked out the window by a bed. We made the bad decision to split up and search one room each,
and the other death was in edge of darkness when
one of our chanters went insane and ran outside.
Our GM is pretty nice though, we've never had anyone die in our dnd or dark heresy campaigns. Which kind of surprises me because one of our team members is notorious for eating everything, going everywhere alone, and picking fights for no reason. I'm told he won't be quite so merciful during our tomb of horrors playthrough though :p

I'm curious to see how different your GMing style is, since the same guy has done all of the adventures I've played. But please don't feel the need to go out of your way and pick something different cause I've already played it! I don't want you to run out of good adventures!

The nurse is only there as a talking head essentially, in the case of your scenario I would guess that she wasn't needed which is why you didn't encounter her.

That's gold what happened
in the upstairs bedroom,
it gave me a good laugh. If people go super gung-ho, it's mean as hell when
they storm into the basement and get destroyed.
I take it in The Edge of Darkness one of them
went insane when all the stuff was approaching the building during the ritual?

D&D 4e is designed to be balanced, but it does heavily favour the players. If everyone rolls equally, the players will mop the floor with their enemies each encounter, TPKs should not really happen. Dark Heresy should have some casualties I would think, so you're either very lucky or he is very kind indeed; my understanding is that it's Call of Cthulhu in space. Tomb of Horrors, I think he can be as nice as possible and you'll still be very dead. It's an adventure designed to kill, you just have to think of everything that can go wrong because it's full of traps and other nasties. Not many people in the world have survived it (not sure on the 4e version though).

Those scenarios you played are the only ones that are really worthwhile in the Call of Cthulhu rulebook, they serve as a nice introduction and not much more than that, there's not a whole lot of meat to them. I've got a tonne of Call of Cthulhu and Trail of Cthulhu (the ruleset I was planning on using) scenarios on my gaming shelves. Some of them are campaigns, so if people enjoy that type of game I can pull one book off my shelf and we're good for at least a year. There are other games using the same system, but they have a different feel to suit the genre they belong to, so we won't be short on things to try.

Being indecisive at times and spoiled for choice certainly isn't helping this get off the ground. I could probably make it happen quicker if I didn't allow myself to be distracted by the many shelves of novels I have, waiting to be read. I'll have to put in a greater effort to read and think about what to do, and then announce when it's ready.

I'm certainly keen to see what my GM style is too, both excited and, strangely, a little scared. I've never ran a game before so we'll both find out at the same time!

Kritz

Banned
How are EB with used consoles? Like are they generally good or is there a risk of getting a shitty one?

Anecdotal, but my used PS3 broke about a year or two after I got it, the only controller I got with it had a deep crack on the casing below the left analogue stick, and I only got an AV connector for the thing - no component. Was thinking about buying a used Vita a week ago but one of my main holding points on that concept was the experience I got from the PS3.

But don't take my experience as gospel.

Darklord

Banned
Avoid 360/PS3 and you should be fine is the general consensus I have taken in. I know people with pre-owned Wii's/DS's/PS2's who haven't had any issue.

You get 12 months warranty I am fairly sure, make sure to double check in case they changed that recently.

Why 360/PS3? I think it's 3 months. I've been looking for a PS3 slim, the super slims pretty ugly and kinda expensive unless I want a shit 12gb hard drive. Dicksmith had them for $168 but they sold out!

Anecdotal, but my used PS3 broke about a year or two after I got it, the only controller I got with it had a deep crack on the casing below the left analogue stick, and I only got an AV connector for the thing - no component. Was thinking about buying a used Vita a week ago but one of my main holding points on that concept was the experience I got from the PS3.

Hmm, I might avoid EB then. Maybe I can find a good one somewhere else.

Kritz

Banned
Dark Heresy should have some casualties I would think, so you're either very lucky or he is very kind indeed; my understanding is that it's Call of Cthulhu in space.

Been playing Dark Heresy with my group for about a year now. So far I think we've only had three characters die. Our DM rolls a little bit in the player's favor, though. I mean, my current character is currently rolling without an arm, a leg and a face (cybernetic replacements), but whenever shit goes down I seem to always roll myself out of it. Other friends certainly haven't been able to.

We've certainly still had a party member get shot through the head, or blown out an airlock, though.

Yagharek

The problem with used ps3 and 360 consoles is the old ones were dodgy to begin with. Safer just to get one new.

Vita seems to be a well built system since it's a novelty to hear bad thing about them so far. But new ones are just as cheap atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom