• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Telltale are self publishing I assume they knocked up a decent deal with EB or someone that has made it worth the effort this time. Any chance you could do some asking around Gaz? I wouldn't be shocked to hear EB will be the exclusive retailer here for the retail edition.

Kotaku AU is safe. Plus they've been curated by the AusGAF community for your reading pleasure.

Lots of Kotaku US articles populate in the blogreel though. My eyes, they cannot take much more of this taint.

If and when Kotaku UA gives an option to ONLY show AU written articles I will be a daily reader. Until then I only head there when linked.

Sellers themselves bid on their auctions by using shadow accounts. I've seen it so very often.
Well that could easily backfire. I don't like bidding on items that seem to have other invested buyers.
I don't think I'll use eBay again if I can help it. It's awful and frustrating. The sniping and paying more than you wanted to, annoying issues with PayPal, sellers that dont answer questions. Shopping at online stores is so much more of an enjoyable experience.

Jintor

Well that could easily backfire. I don't like bidding on items that seem to have other invested buyers.
I don't think I'll use eBay again if I can help it. It's awful and frustrating. The sniping and paying more than you wanted to, annoying issues with PayPal, sellers that dont answer questions. Shopping at online stores is so much more of an enjoyable experience.

Even if it does you face no risk from cancellation though right?

Check the bids summary. If you see any bids by users with 0 or 1 ratings, try and avoid. Same with bids where the bidder identity is hidden. Most cases these are shadow accounts of sellers who put up auctions for 99c or very cheap prices and try to increase the bid if there is a very low bid on the item.

You should check their other items, most will have the same item listed as 'buy it now' for a high price. So you can expect that the shadow accounts will try to push that price on the bidding up to that price.

I use ebay a lot because you can score a lot of great deals if you're observant, and lucky. It does get frustrating quite often when you have to engage in bidding wars or wait 7 days for your bid to win.

Omikron

It was nothing to do with fears about MA15. It was all about the cost of classification factored into the number of units it was projected to sell. I guess those two numbers have changed since last time.

I am honestly surprised it did get MA however.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Hi Melbourne Gaf,

I just moved to Melbourne for work and have a quick question, google would have me think that Dungeon Crawl is a decent independent game store. Any thoughts?

Yagharek

Unlikely. I tried it once and it was impossible to find anything, like imdb comments.

edit: my dislike of games media goes deeper than kotaku. It really extends to some modern zeitgeist of what constitutes the gaming community. A conglomerate of bad ideas perpetuated by the likes of N'gai Croal, Phil Fish, all of kotaku/ign/gamespot/giantbomb/vg247/good game and the plethora of independent bloggers that parrot the same kind of issues. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it smells like a mix of faux intellectualism and the jarring immaturity of the industry these people cannot recognise. It's almost as if they see problems where none exist, and ignore them where they are the most damaging.

Hi Melbourne Gaf,

I just moved to Melbourne for work and have a quick question, google would have me think that Dungeon Crawl is a decent independent game store. Any thoughts?

Welcome to Melbourne, and yes....DC is amazing. Unmatched service and great prices on most titles. Not cheaper than Ozgameshop or ebay UK sellers but you won't have to wait 2 weeks for delivery.

Yagharek

it's almost as if it's a problem inherent to entertainment journalism as a whole

I think the nascency (relative) of gaming journalism really gives the opportunity for the more obnoxious voices to rise to prominence. That is what we are seeing now.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Unlikely. I tried it once and it was impossible to find anything, like imdb comments.

edit: my dislike of games media goes deeper than kotaku. It really extends to some modern zeitgeist of what constitutes the gaming community. A conglomerate of bad ideas perpetuated by the likes of N'gai Croal, Phil Fish, all of kotaku/ign/gamespot/giantbomb/vg247/good game and the plethora of independent bloggers that parrot the same kind of issues. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it smells like a mix of faux intellectualism and the jarring immaturity of the industry these people cannot recognise. It's almost as if they see problems where none exist, and ignore them where they are the most damaging.

I never claim to be smart and I'm immature... I'm safe right?

Omikron

Why do you even bother with GAF then?

hamchan

Nah, Giant Bomb doesn't really try to come off as intellectuals. They more like to screw around a lot and they especially recognize their immaturity and even embrace it.

teekun

Welcome to Melbourne, and yes....DC is amazing. Unmatched service and great prices on most titles. Not cheaper than Ozgameshop or ebay UK sellers but you won't have to wait 2 weeks for delivery.

Yeah, they're not a place you go to for excellent pricing, but they'll take better care of you than most chain retailers. Plus they do a decent trade in imported games.

Yagharek

Why do you even bother with GAF then?

It works as a very effective bullshit filter for the most part.

Nah, Giant Bomb doesn't really try to come off as intellectuals. They more like to screw around a lot and they especially recognize their immaturity and even embrace it.

I've not yet been convinced by anything I've seen them in. I put them at the obnoxious end of the scale from what little I have seen though.

Simply put, the past four or five years have seen any and all respect for any games media absolutely crushed into smithereens. I trust no-one, and basically operate on a guilty til proven innocent basis with them, and there is only one exception to this rule. Retro Gamer.

They:
1. Do actual research beyond rewording press releases
2. Have a demonstrated passion for what they do
3. Have exhaustive knowledge of what they do, and never fall back on meaningless hyperbole
4. Are completely independent of any influence from PR types

I'm willing to accept there are others who meet those criteria, but outside of small platform-specific bloggers/fans (who might not have means to get the research done, I'll grant them a pass there) there are no equivalent outlets in gaming journalism whatsoever.

I strongly recommend people pick up just one issue of the magazine and see what I'm talking about. They are unparalleled in games journalism to the point they are probably the only people who could justify calling themselves games journalists.

I've really tried to like Kotaku... Im not sure if its the choice of articles or the writing itself, its like IGN but with less children hanging around.

markot

Banned
Didnt hear any y'all complaining when tennis guy went up for the Libs.

Could it be, one is white... hmm... interesting.

Salazar

Didnt hear any y'all complaining when tennis guy went up for the Libs.

Could it be, one is white... hmm... interesting.

I complain whenever celebrity candidates get parachuted in.

She deserves to get slated for this. You either care about preselection process or you don't.

Kritz

Banned

It helps that Giant Bomb are entertainment first, buyer's guide second, and reporting third. I wouldn't even really call them a journalist site. I think they fit much better into the enthusiast category. Klepic certainly does a decent job with the occasional article, such as the Walking Dead stuff, though I don't... care about game news enough to read his weekly column.

But I certainty won't go out of my way to convince someone they're not obnoxious. It's just a matter of if you gel with their sense of humour or not.

legend166

On a completely unrelated note:

AFL-GAF, it looks like the AFL website are going to be running a proper fantasy league this year, i.e. one where you set up a league and draft players, and everyone has a unique team. This is about a billion times better than the 'Everyone can have Gary Ablett!' set up which has existed up to this point.

Think of your humorous team names now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom