• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

I'm sorry, these are the wrong answer. :p

Bickfords make excellent cordials. I really like their Lemon Barley, which is wonderful with water or with some sparkling mineral water for a bit more fizz and increased bite. I think Schweppes has them beat here.

At least we agree on the lemonade. Schweppes has everyone beat here, all others are far too sweet.

True enough on the lemonade. The lemon barley is godly on a hot day, mixed a bit weak with plenty of ice.

Kritz

Banned
Kritz utilising his meat barricade

Lots of dead zombies

Before the final (failed) charge (also that's the custom M14A sniper mod)

It's lovely.

p3OINEDl.jpg

jambo

Yes please.

Steam ID?
360 Gamertag?
PS3 thingy?
Twitterer?
How many of your relatives has the Carbon Tax suffocated so far?
Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery?
Would you buy a Crackdown 3?
Thoughts on Viva Pinata Party Pinatas?
iOS gamer or Android user?
How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM?
Is Women teh weakest sex in gaeming?
Do you Kooka with Country Cookies?
UGG boots. Do you speak it?
Red Rock Deli chips are the best chips.
Picking up a Vita or have a 3DS? OR SNK THINGY?
D&D or Board Games or IRL Role Playing or Furry or Capcom fan?
Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins? Insert guy/girl of interest (Lily Cerna, Ella Morton, Mel McLaughlin, kPOP) here.
Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole?
Jalapeño man?
BACON MAN?
Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider?
Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge?
Do you plays the Halos or Duties or FieldsOfBattlez?
Any glass eyeballs?
Are you the one cancelling all the fucking WiiU ports?
Are you Mayan or can use Maya?
Curse of Monkey Island is the greatest game of all time

I just threw up a bit.

reptile don't shoot the cars

Hey you gotta tell me these things BEFORE we step out into a labrinth of zombies with one of those fat fucks running at us.

Also you should have said don't touch the cars, not don't shoot the cars :)

Annoying that we breezed the final section until the final 1/3 quite a number of times and couldn't finish the whole thing off. Once that tank hits maybe give legging it past him a chance, set the whole place on fire and just bolt towards the chopper.

Fredescu

I don't see why we can't contribute to the improvement process, self reflection and identifying issues with an eye to improving benefits us as much as it does the team as a whole. Reprimanding us now means we might be more likely to pay attention and follow directions in the future instead of just fobbing off simple tasks.
That really depends on the project. If you're managing people doing simple tasks, it makes sense to reprimand them for not following simple tasks. If you're managing talented people, say if they were considered to be among the top dozen or so people in their field in the country, then reprimands for simple tasks make little sense. Managing talent is much different to managing menial workers or teaching schoolchildren. It's more about retaining and motivating talent than making them all fall into line military style. Different people are motivated different ways.

Regardless of what I think of my bosses decision, my job is to do what I'm told.

That's a very narrow view. Ultimately your job is to help achieve the projects goals. It might cover your arse if you do everything your boss says to the letter, but they're not always right, and sometimes the best decision is not the one your boss agrees with. It's possible that stakeholders external to your hierarchy agree with the workers view more than the bosses. In that situation it's often the boss who is removed.

Aren't cricketers

Cricketers? What are you on about man?

Omikron

For anyone that doesn't own L4D2 and is potentially interested in participating in our current spurt of online play, it is on sale atm... $5

http://store.steampowered.com/app/550/

Best option is to get someone overseas to gift it to you however, as the Aus version is the 'low violence' edition, which really doesn't do the game justice.

That's a very narrow view. Ultimately your job is to help achieve the projects goals. It might cover your arse if you do everything your boss says to the letter, but they're not always right, and sometimes the best decision is not the one your boss agrees with. It's possible that stakeholders external to your hierarchy agree with the workers view more than the bosses. In that situation it's often the boss who is removed.
You most certainly have the right (and responsibility, perhaps) so ask if something is helpful to the project or even suggest another course of action. However, if your boss still says "do it", if you don't, you're basically being insubordinate, causing friction and ultimately breeding dissent and contempt in the team. Who's to say your vision for reaching the goal has greater merit than the project leader? Teams can't operate if everyone is operating under their own opinion of what's best for the project. It's why leaders are appointed and why they usually take the fall if the project is ultimately not successful.

At the end of the day, I'm paid to do what the people above me want to do. I voice my opinion when I think there's a better way but ultimately, if they want things done inefficiently they get done inefficiently. When I'm leader the project they'll I'll do them my way.

Cricketers? What are you on about man?
Sorry, I was talking about a completely different thing. I should have made it clear that the two points were not related.

Fredescu

You most certainly have the right (and responsibility, perhaps) so ask if something is helpful to the project or even suggest another course of action. However, if your boss still says "do it", if you don't, you're basically being insubordinate, causing friction and ultimately breeding dissent and contempt in the team. Who's to say your vision for reaching the goal has greater merit than the project leader? Teams can't operate if everyone is operating under their own opinion of what's best for the project. It's why leaders are appointed and why they usually take the fall if the project is ultimately not successful.

At the end of the day, I'm paid to do what the people above me want to do. I voice my opinion when I think there's a better way but ultimately, if they want things done inefficiently they get done inefficiently. When I'm leader the project they'll I'll do them my way.
All good points!

Sorry, I was talking about a completely different thing. I should have made it clear that the two points were not related.
Ah, my mistake.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Steam ID? Non-existent.

360 Gamertag? Transhuman Plus

PS3 thingy? Nah man, nah.

Twitterer? Only once to get some extra dropbox space.

How many of your relatives has the Carbon Tax suffocated so far? Only two.

Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery? Sexiest? Brosnan, no question.

Would you buy a Crackdown 3? As far as i'm concerned, Crackdown 1 was the Halo 3 Beta, and Crackdown 2 was I don't even know what.

Thoughts on Viva Pinata Party Pinatas? I like candy, one of my friends is Mexican, and very sexy (but sadly neither of us is into dudes)

iOS gamer or Android user? I'll tell you when I can afford a phone.

How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM? I'm not a big PC gamer (though I've logged my fair share into Minecraft servers). It would probably irk me if it affected me.

Is Women teh weakest sex in gaeming? As in the players themselves, or female characters in video games? In gaming, women are disenfranchised all over.

Do you Kooka with Country Cookies? I can't say I've had the pleasure. I'll eat anything sweet though.

UGG boots. Do you speak it? Used to have a pair, no idea what happened to them.

Red Rock Deli chips are the best chips. Honey Soy Chicken, specifically. Kettle Chilli chips are fantastic too, because it's not "Chilli and sour cream". Why someone would want to lessen the taste by adding sour cream I have no clue.

Picking up a Vita or have a 3DS? OR SNK THINGY? No Vita, no DS, the only 2d fighting game I can handle is Smash Bros, sorry.

D&D or Board Games or IRL Role Playing or Furry or Capcom fan? I've played maybe 5 games of D&D with some friends so far, Played Capcom's Megaman Battle Network, which no-one seems to have heard of.

Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins? Insert guy/girl of interest (Lily Cerna, Ella Morton, Mel McLaughlin, kPOP) here. Karen Gillan is quite fetching, Lily Serna is pretty damn cute (and those are the one two whose names I recognised). Mélanie Laurent is cute, Jennifer Ayache is cute, I used to have a really big thing for Kristen Bell, Annie Clark (St. Vincent) is cute. I don't get why people are so into Mila Kunis as they are. But everyone gets one weird turn-off right?

Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole? I love his every flavour beans.

Jalapeño man? I goddamn love Jalapeño, but whenever I buy a jar, they're always mushy. Jalapeños on a sub from Subway is always good.

BACON MAN? Bacon is delicious, but I'm more of an...

Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider? I could count the amount of times i've drank Alcohol on my fingers, and even then it wasn't that much. Never been so much as tipsy.

Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge? I love Vegemite, but it's been a while.

Do you plays the Halos or Duties or FieldsOfBattlez? Halo 3 was easily my favourite Halo game, Halo 4 easily the worst. CoD4 was a fucking relevation, Modern Warfare 2 was even better, Modern Warfare 3 is a piece of garbage, which just goes to show how gutted of talent Infinity Ward was after Vince and Zampella left to Respawn Entertainment. All the Treyarch CoD games have been shallow imitation, except Black Ops II which is a perfect imitation of how shitty MW3 was.

Any glass eyeballs? Visual Prosthesis shits all over ocular prosthesis.

Are you the one cancelling all the fucking WiiU ports? I traded in my Wii after a beat Twilight Princess. I feel like it was a good decision.

Are you Mayan or can use Maya? Sadly I am as white as the driven snow, and did not take digital design in Highschool.

Curse of Monkey Island is the greatest game of all time First and only I played is The Secret of Monkey Island. Psychonauts was good though.

legend166

So some further background on the suspensions:

It must be said that the severe penalties handed out to Watson and three other players were not solely the result of failing to complete Arthur's task. Throughout the tour the attitude from the wider playing group has been lax. Players have missed appointments with the team physio, arrived late for team meetings, worn the wrong uniforms - there have been all manner of minor infractions that built up to the team management saying "no more".

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2013/content/current/story/624716.html

And this article makes me like Clarke a whole lot more:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2013/content/current/story/624729.html

Danoss

Well, my latest order from CoolStuffInc arrived this morning.

7lsgqg6.jpg

There's not much to the insides of Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space, as expected, just some cards, pencils and some pre-printed player maps. Room-25 components are lovely and simple, player sheets, cardboard room sections and some miniatures; I heard some of the miniatures were arriving broken and luckily mine wasn't among them.

Tammany Hall in the flesh just screams class. Everything inside the box is absolutely gorgeous. Many tokens and meeples with a velour bag to use them with for hidden draws. The cards are solid cardboard, which is very nice indeed. Even the box itself is wonderful and has a nice heft to it, I think I could straight-up murder someone with it, it's that solid.

And now to put them on my stack of board games to possibly never be played, because my gaming group sucks and SydGAF board games is dead.

loooooooool the tele.

BFL9vSBCQAARqqZ.png:large

Jesus. As a journo I have no problems with most of Conroy's suggestions. The only issue I have is with the halving of the cost of spectrum to TV channels. That's another nail in the coffin of newspaper advertising.
Every industry needs supervision and especially media ownership.

In unrelated news, I wrote a stupid story, slightly tongue in cheek about Shane Watson's homework habits at school, it's since been picked up by Fairfax, and apparently mentioned on ABC and Foxsports. Huh.

Jintor

Red Faction Guerilla is on sale on Steam for $5! I have no idea who gets the money but if you hate buildings you might want to pick it up. Seriously, fuck buildings.

Omikron

Jesus. As a journo I have no problems with most of Conroy's suggestions. The only issue I have is with the halving of the cost of spectrum to TV channels. That's another nail in the coffin of newspaper advertising.
Every industry needs supervision and especially media ownership.

In unrelated news, I wrote a stupid story, slightly tongue in cheek about Shane Watson's homework habits at school, it's since been picked up by Fairfax, and apparently mentioned on ABC and Foxsports. Huh.

'grats :)

Jalapeño man? I goddamn love Jalapeño, but whenever I buy a jar, they're always mushy. Jalapeños on a sub from Subway is always good.
To pickle jalapeños at home, once you've added the water/vinegar solution, you need to boil the jars in a water bath for 10-15 minutes to allow them to vacuum seal. This cooks them and is why they go mushy.

I presume the factory process is probably similar. I find mine are a bit mushier than store bought pickled jalapeños.

This country is doomed.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/libs-no-to-condemning-vilification-20130312-2fync.html
The Coalition has voted against a bid to have Parliament's upper house condemn the vilification of asylum seekers and refugees.

In a vote late on Monday, Coalition senators refused to support the motion by Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young that ''the Senate rejects the vilification of refugees and asylum seekers''.

The motion passed with Labor and Greens support.

During the debate, Liberal senator Michaelia Cash said the Coalition did not accept there was vilification of asylum seekers in political debate.
Advertisement

But Senator Hanson-Young said she was dismayed at the opposition's position on the issue.

''The debate around immigration has become so toxic in recent weeks that the Parliament can't even unify in condemning vilification of refugees,'' she said.

''The Parliament needs to reflect the best aspects of Australian society and it is sad to see that things have come to this, with the chamber not even able to agree that that vilification of refugees deserves to be rejected. This was an opportunity for the Liberal Party to stop the dog whistling, to stand up to the elements of society that think it is OK to demonise and vilify vulnerable people, but it is an opportunity they have chosen to ignore.''

Last week Liberal backbencher Russell Broadbent accused immigration spokesman Scott Morrison of vilifying refugees in the wake of Mr Morrison's suggestion that asylum seekers released into the community while their refugee claims were processed should be subject to ''behaviour protocols''.

Mr Broadbent said there should not be different categories of law for different groups of people. ''Vilification of asylum seekers is unacceptable in this nation.''

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott said the government was ''demonising'' skilled migrants on 457 visas, and ''tolerating people coming to this country [on boats] and going on welfare''.

But, he said: ''The last thing that you'll ever see from me and from Coalition frontbenchers is dividing Australian from Australian on the basis of class, gender or whether you were born here or not.''

On Sunday evening, Australian authorities intercepted an asylum seeker boat that sought help north of Christmas Island, with 103 passengers and two crew on board.

Danoss

To pickle jalapeños at home, once you've added the water/vinegar solution, you need to boil the jars in a water bath for 10-15 minutes to allow them to vacuum seal. This cooks them and is why they go mushy.

Is that step required? Wouldn't the vinegar solution be good enough to preserve them, provided you don't need them to keep for an overly long time?

Fredescu

By the way Danoss, thanks for the offer of cheap tickets to the game. An Eels supporting work mate and I thought briefly of going, but I don't think we'll be able to.

Danoss

By the way Danoss, thanks for the offer of cheap tickets to the game. An Eels supporting work mate and I thought briefly of going, but I don't think we'll be able to.

No problem. I'll PM you a link to the discounted tickets should you and your mate be able to attend.

Is that step required? Wouldn't the vinegar solution be good enough to preserve them, provided you don't need them to keep for an overly long time?
Heating the jar and then letting it cool creates the vacuum seal. I guess if you had them for only a week or two, it probably wouldn't be needed. I recently finished the last of my jalapeños that I pickled in 2010.

Danoss

Heating the jar and then letting it cool creates the vacuum seal. I guess if you had them for only a week or two, it probably wouldn't be needed. I recently finished the last of my jalapeños that I pickled in 2010.

Bung 'em in the fridge without a vacuum seal, they should be fine for a while (couldn't say for how long, exactly). I've got some Tomato relish that I've made sitting in jars in the fridge. They've been sitting there for about a month and it's still good, I'd expect them to last a number of months more too.

Maybe try a smaller jar with only a few of them in there and see how they go? Just a suggestion if you want some less mushy ones.

Danoss I have a photography question. An external flash that's fixed to face directly forward all the time is a bit of a waste of time right?

Sure is.

If I remember correctly, you went Nikon? If I'm right, anything less than an SB-700 is a waste of time. If you don't need i-TTL, there are a number of manual flashes out there that are cheap and excellent.

Maybe try a smaller jar with only a few of them in there and see how they go? Just a suggestion if you want some less mushy ones.
I did make some sweet pickled red onions a little while ago and they kept for a couple of weeks fine. I don't think they'd last more than a month or two though. When I eat jalapeños I tend to do it in phases, so won't many for a months, then gorge on them over a couple of weeks.

Plus I like them to last longer because in 2011/2012 I didn't get much of a crop, so having the dozen+ jars from 2010 helped. ;)

Given they're in season I might just put some in the fridge without the seal though, can't hurt to compare. Looking like I'm going to get a ton this year as well. Also going to have a lot of cayennes, and even looking like a lot of habaneros. Don't know what to do with the habaneros yet!

If I remember correctly, you went Nikon? If I'm right, anything less than an SB-700 is a waste of time. If you don't need i-TTL, there are a number of manual flashes out there that are cheap and excellent.

Figured. Couldn't see the point really. Correct on the Nikon too.
What do I really need iTTL for? I was looking at 700 or 600, what are some manuals? I'm always up for paying less.
I'm going to pick up a 50mm 1.8 at some stage too.
Also I'm going to read Understanding Exposure. It's been sitting on my coffee table for ages unread.

Deeku

I hope you had a safe and uneventful flight, deek. How's everything going?
Flight was uneventful as ever, Qantas still totally sucks but the ticket was real cheap so I can't complain.

Going to move into my apartment later today! Had a look at my actual room yesterday and was glad that the room I was shown when I was first checking out the place wasn't a demo/display unit. That was really the only thing I was worried about.

Went to check out an international supermarket and it was kinda amazing. Big change from the local woolies/coles lol. They basically had everything, with Australia being pretty well represented in organic meats and fruit. And Pura milk is like 4 aud a litre:eek: Lots of super expensive Japanese stuff too - want a small punnet of Japanese strawberries, sure 40+ aud, what about a Japanese melon? No probs, 80 aud. The prices are probably not even that overly inflated either because fruit in Japan is pretty expensive. They even had fresh Hokkaido crabs that are air freighted in daily lol.

So yeah, pretty neat so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom