• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where else you gonna wear a costume? Unless Holy is going to bum around on the streets in a Goku costume of course
p1010792.jpg

The L4D2 bug has hit pretty hard again. Damn it is a fine, fine game.
So addicted at the moment
I might be up for some more L4D2 tonight. Not sure yet, got to do some boring work stuff at home tonight, so depends on how long that takes.

Veronica Mars Movie Kickstarter
I'd had enough of the series by the end of the third season, but it just kind of stopped so I guess closure is OK. I bet it's rubbish though, these sorts of things always end up odd so long after the fact.

Bought! Thanks for pointing that out. Got a few adventure games piling up now. Will be loading them all up on the wife's netbook to play while we're away later this year.

Gazunta

Just remember folks, dinosaurs roared the loudest as the meteor came closer.

I used to smile every time a newspaper or retail store complained about the modern world. Now I laugh, because their demise is inevitable now, and it's going to be glorious.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
You could wear it around the house like pajamas, weirding out delivery guys and your housemates! Or wear it to nerd gatherings like supanova and university anime clubs, I guarantee the weeaboo girls will be impressed.

my house mates going to buy a piccolo costume so we can sit around in them.

bought it the other day, fun game. sc2 hots came out tho and i havent gone back to it yet :(

This entire post will essentially only be of interest to Danoss. Just a heads up to everyone else.

If Norman is leaving and Dugan gets cut from the Raiders, the Broncos better get on that. He's clearly a dickhead but the kid can play. That magic factor is exactly what the Broncos are missing. I'll bet the Dragons will sign him though. Which will piss Beale right off seeing he signed there specifically to play fullback.

And, back on photo shit, one of the photographers at work is selling her personal stuff, switching from Nikon to Canon. So I'm going to try and pick up some of her more basic gear. Bit of a win

I finished Sleeping Dogs and started on Tomb Raider.
Ha! That's exactly what I did. Surprisingly, I'm finding both games have a lot in common. One of which being that they both want to pretend that they're offering a more "mature" game, which amounts to some swearing, sexual references, blood and guts. Another, they both profess to showing a more "realistic" protagonist, which amounts to people getting hurt very badly, until the point that it is no longer feasible for the action of the game for them to be hurt; at this point the injury is forgotten (the biggest offender is Sleeping Dogs - in one room you can't even walk, but as soon as you enter the next room you shaolin the fuck our of people's heads). Lastly, they both wish to pretend that they're offering more grounded storylines, which is utter crap because both games have their feet so far from the ground that they're practically in the stratosphere, especially Lara's transformation from frightened bunny rabbit to world destroying force of nature.

I've enjoyed both games quite a bit but a lot of what they professed they would do differently or offer what most other games don't actually has not been a factor in my enjoyment. Especially when it came to story. Double especially when it comes to Tomb Raider's story.

Jintor

Bullshit sleepy dawgs is pretending to be a more serious game. It's chop-suey hong kong blood police revengeance drama all the way.

"Torn between your loyalty to the badge and a criminal code of honor, you will risk everything as the lines between truth, loyalty and justice become permanently blurred."

"A mature and gritty undercover cop drama in which you risk blowing your cover at any time"

http://www.sleepingdogs.net/about/info

I'm not saying that the game isn't more of a Hong Kong Action Drama movie knock off, but that isn't what they're selling the game as.

Jintor

Probably the most fun I had with a game last year. Not sure why because from a mechanical perspective pretty simplistic but that didn't stop me hella enjoying it

Rule 1: marketing lies
But that was my point?

Mature = blood, sexual references, swearing, drugs
Gritty = the above, but people get muddy
Story = *yawn*
Realistic = cut scenes show person limping.
Character Growth = over the course of the game they feel less bad about becoming a mass murderer

Gameplay = good!

Jintor

But that was my point?

Was it? I thought you were saying the game was pretending to this higher tier of drama, not marketing. I don't think anything in the game represented it as anything more than its HK Blood Drama roots. I think Lara has a stronger case for the game's own cutscenes trying to elevate it to this serious mature storyline, seperate from the marketing.

Danoss

If Norman is leaving and Dugan gets cut from the Raiders, the Broncos better get on that. He's clearly a dickhead but the kid can play. That magic factor is exactly what the Broncos are missing. I'll bet the Dragons will sign him though. Which will piss Beale right off seeing he signed there specifically to play fullback.

I saw the Eels CEO tweeted that we're not talking to Dugan, Pritchard or Farrah. No mention of Norman. Fuck.

Peter Nolan is an excellent Recruitment Manager, so I'm just going to trust that he sees something in Norman that I can't. Nolan worked at the Broncos for a very long time and it worked out well for them, clearly he knows what he is doing.

Dugan needs to play under a coach who commands respect. Clearly Furner does not. I'm interested to see how this goes and where Dugan ends up, because his next stop will be incredibly important for the rest of his career. For the sake of himself and his family, he really needs to get right away from Canberra.

And, back on photo shit, one of the photographers at work is selling her personal stuff, switching from Nikon to Canon. So I'm going to try and pick up some of her more basic gear. Bit of a win

Good timing. You might be able to get your hands on an SB-900 flash. I'm just thinking of all the other quality stuff they'd have too. A win indeed.

Was it? I thought you were saying the game was pretending to this higher tier of drama, not marketing. I don't think anything in the game represented it as anything more than its HK Blood Drama roots.
In a way, yes, they both are trying to tell us they offer a higher degree of realism, drama, character development, action, moral decisions/ambiguity. All that amounts to, though, is the same gameplay (albeit more polished / fun / well executed) with a concerted marketing push on those elements.

If I compare Sleeping Dogs to GTA, there is not a lot of difference. I make the same amount of decisions in both games that affect the story (i.e. none), I kill the same amount of people indiscriminately and there are the same lack of consequences for my actions, outside of a police wanted level. The difference is that the marketing was aimed at making the public think that you needed to skirt the line of law/criminality and that my actions would be attributed to how I took down the triad. It also said that I would be tested morally. Neither of these things happened; the only choice I had was to go to the next mission or stop progressing the story.

Tomb Raider purports to present me with the creation of a legend by allowing me to play through the crucible with which she was forged. I would be presented with the experience of surviving on the island, presented with moral ambiguity, confronted by taking the lives of others and would see the growth of Lara's character. If I compare Tomb Raider 2013 with the original Tomb Raider, the difference is that the newer one does not have any puzzles. Or a T-Rex.

My comment in my original post was that I played two games, back-to-back, (which I've both enjoyed) that claimed to offer me a fuller experience with regards to mechanics being teamed up with a stronger, mature narrative and choices that would test me and neither did. Not one bit. Not even a binary Bioshock decision. Nada. Zip.

That's all :)

Jintor

I guess I just never felt that Sleepy Dawgs purported to offer any of that to me. But then again, i got it in a steam sale for low dollars with relatedly low expectations. And I paid no attention to the marketing.

Danoss

Josh Dugan, gooooone. No payout, nothing. Contract torn up.

When you're that disrespectful to the company paying you massive dollars and really aren't that demanding of you, what else can you expect?

Ferguson fined $10k and will remain at the club but is not training with the first grade squad.

Kinda glad Dugan is gone, hopefully he'll shape up at a new club.

Probably should have got rid of Ferguson as well, guy seems like trouble.

I saw the Eels CEO tweeted that we're not talking to Dugan, Pritchard or Farrah. No mention of Norman. Fuck.

Peter Nolan is an excellent Recruitment Manager, so I'm just going to trust that he sees something in Norman that I can't. Nolan worked at the Broncos for a very long time and it worked out well for them, clearly he knows what he is doing.

Dugan needs to play under a coach who commands respect. Clearly Furner does not. I'm interested to see how this goes and where Dugan ends up, because his next stop will be incredibly important for the rest of his career. For the sake of himself and his family, he really needs to get right away from Canberra.

The only reason I'm loathe to write Norman of is Alex Glenn. I thought he was a pie for so long, but the Broncos persisted with him, even naming him captain when the obvious candidates were out/Origining, and then in the last two years he's been a revalation. Now he's one of my favourites.

I'm worried that'll happen with Norman too when we let him go. But for Dugan I'd be fine with it

Edit:
Kinda glad Dugan is gone, hopefully he'll shape up at a new club.

Probably should have got rid of Ferguson as well, guy seems like trouble.

I think it's a good idea to seperate them.

Danoss

The only reason I'm loathe to write Norman of is Alex Glenn. I thought he was a pie for so long, but the Broncos persisted with him, even naming him captain when the obvious candidates were out/Origining, and then in the last two years he's been a revalation. Now he's one of my favourites.

I'm worried that'll happen with Norman too when we let him go. But for Dugan I'd be fine with it

I thought Glenn was good the last couple of years. Norman is young, so perhaps there is the potential there that hasn't blossomed yet.

I would take Norman over Dugan though. At least he'd turn up to training and not get weird boils or infected lips or whatever weird "injury" Dugan could come up with.

The Broncos have Normans coming out their arse though. Ben Hunt, Luke Capewell...actually that's all I can think of. Joe Bond maybe? Their dymanic backliners though are Hodges (1 billion years old) and Yow Yeh (still recovering from one of the worst injuries I've ever seen). The need someone with a touch of magic and Dugan could do that.

Danoss

The Broncos have Normans coming out their arse though. Ben Hunt, Luke Capewell...actually that's all I can think of. Joe Bond maybe? Their dymanic backliners though are Hodges (1 billion years old) and Yow Yeh (still recovering from one of the worst injuries I've ever seen). The need someone with a touch of magic and Dugan could do that.

Yeah, they do need that explosive sort of player that can create something from nothing.

The question of Dugan is: "is he worth the risk?" I think, considering what has just happened, yes he is. Both he and his manager know that to prospective clubs he looks like a loose canon, so the contracts on offer will be subject to behavioural conditions. If he stuffs about, he's gone with no great loss; if not, then it's a win, at least for the time-being.

Yeah, they do need that explosive sort of player that can create something from nothing.

The question of Dugan is: "is he worth the risk?" I think, considering what has just happened, yes he is. Both he and his manager know that to prospective clubs he looks like a loose canon, so the contracts on offer will be subject to behavioural conditions. If he stuffs about, he's gone with no great loss; if not, then it's a win, at least for the time-being.

Exactly. I guess it's horses for courses. Parra doesn't want Dugan because they've got that player in Hayne. The Broncos have been hammered in that regard with Hunt and Folau getting poached. If they'd stuck around (as you'd have to imagine Paul White's long term plans would have been) this wouldn't even be a question.

senahorse

Leigh Sales does some great interviews, not scared of asking the tough questions. Though all of this is over now that the date has been pushed back until June.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom