• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia tour of South Africa |OT| Battle of the Batsmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
He's coming off four consecutive ODI centuries. Guy is very highly rated, probably the form batsman in the country, but the thinking was he's too young to blood against Australia.

Hope he does well.

Looking at his first class average he seems really good, especially for a wicketkeeper batsman who seems to be the adam gilchrist mold, but we need wickets and a debutant could do the trick.

I was also just making a dick joke. :p

Looking at his first class average he seems really good, especially for a wicketkeeper batsman who seems to be the adam gilchrist mold, but we need wickets and a debutant could do the trick.

I was also just making a dick joke. :p

Ah, I get it now. Heh.

Yeah, he's had a crazy start to his international career. Four ODI centuries in a row, and he still doesn't have a 50.

kmag

De Villiers is probably the best batsman to watch score. I mean Bell and Clarke are classy as well but De Villiers almost never plays an ugly shot.

I was trying to come up with a joke involving Johnson and de Kock that didn't make me seem like a 12 year old boy. I was unsuccessful.

Antiwhippy

Smith actually got a wicket? Wow.

You know, south africa has been kinda on top for most of the day but I'd say 5/200 is not a bad result for australia on a pitch like this.

Rezbit

Game seems pretty evenly poised, Australia probably just in front but AB is still in, anything could happen. Haven't seen any footage but seems like the pitch is dead as a dodo?

Also, I'm thinking if Pattinson is fully fit it might be time to throw him back in instead of Siddle. I like the idea of having 3 damaging quick bowlers instead of an honest trundler; his pace seems well down.

Antiwhippy

That won't work unless you have a fifth bowler. Johnson and Harris are limited in the overs they can bowl as it is.

Antiwhippy

Holy shit, I've been thinking all this time that the commentator was boycott, but it's someone called mwajambe?

legend166

Game seems pretty evenly poised, Australia probably just in front but AB is still in, anything could happen. Haven't seen any footage but seems like the pitch is dead as a dodo?

Also, I'm thinking if Pattinson is fully fit it might be time to throw him back in instead of Siddle. I like the idea of having 3 damaging quick bowlers instead of an honest trundler; his pace seems well down.

I think Siddle bowls slower than he can because he's the workhorse of the attack.

Antiwhippy

Also siddle didn't actually bowl that badly. Was actually unlucky with quite a few edges falling short due to the slowness of the pitch.

Moxx19

Banned
It took til just now for me to realise that explosion sound effect on the replays is meant to be the bat hitting the ball.. Thought it was just some weird shit going on at the ground.

kmag

Christ ABV makes batting look really effortless. You feel a bit sorry for Lyon, I know he's got two, but the makeup of the Australian team means he's going to have to bowl continually on a pitch which offers him nothing.

kmag

Problem is that siddle hasn't played his role of containment.well at all today.

Yeah, the entire bowling line up is trying too hard to take wickets, it's the sort of pitch you rely on keeping it tight and waiting for a mistake.

100 up for ABV. Cracking knock, he's the classiest batter in the world.

Good recovery. Great to see JP get some runs again. It's been quite a while. De Villiers is an amazing talent. I ran into him while we were both waiting for the bathroom in a restaurant once. I told him he was really good and let him go first. I think it's made all the difference in his career.

I think SA are going to struggle to get 20 wickets here, unless the pitch really deteriorates. Draw most likely.

Antiwhippy

I kinda hope the pitch deteriorates a bit. I don't care if australia has a chance to lose, but god the one thing I hate the most about test cricket is watching 5 days of batting roads.

Good session by saffas going wicket less except currently going a bit slow for a team down 1-0.

If they keep this run rate up, they will be around 480 to 500 with 10 overs of pace to bowl before stumps (if yet don't go off early again).

If it is as easy batting as it is going at the moment, they might run out of time to get a result in this test or will have to give a risky declaration going into the last day if they Aussies bat well in the first innings.

So I reckon they need to go for a bit of a hit, get to 550-600 with an hour left tonight. Forcing Aussies to have to bat longer than a day in the first innings to avoid the follow on.

They have to really bank on bowling the Aussies out before the follow on in their first innings, otherwise they will be less than 200 ahead with less than two days remaining.

Its been cautious batting a wicket not really offering much. Maybe steyn and philander are super confident, but I would like to be about 100 runs more at this stage of the match if I was Graeme smith.

Antiwhippy

Lyon finally gets his reward! Been bowling his heart out.

Great knock by AB though. Looked so composed and fluent throughout.

Antiwhippy

Caught by haddin, good spin and bounce.

With 6 wickets being taken by the spinners I'm wondering if the Saffers are worried about only having duminy. I could be wrong though and steyn can blow through out batting. He certainly has the ability.

DeSo

Banned
Trying to work out South Africa's goal here. My guess is they're banking on Australia throwing their wickets away. Otherwise I don't understand this test match.

Antiwhippy

5fer!

Well done. His last 5fer in melbourne was mainly due to english batsmen being rubbish, but here he shows that he can do the hard graft when there's nothing for the fastmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom