• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia tour of South Africa |OT| Battle of the Batsmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinduct

Here we go!

Funny how this thread died when we started getting flogged.

Well to be fair if there was more South Africans around here they'd be chatting it up.
Sadly there is only a handful of us and even fewer who actually care enough about the sport to partake in the convo.

kmag

why warner why??? how could u get out to a part time offie you idiottttttttttttt

The ball is spinning, and frankly it was a poor decision from Illingworth as the ball was just clipping. It didn't really look out to me, but I think Illingworth was getting a bit bored.

Neither Warner nor Rogers have looked comfortable with the spin out of the footholds.Now they probably should be trying to get to the pitch of the ball as neither of their part-timers do much with the ball in the air.

kmag

Doolan played probably the worst innings I've ever seen there, it's like he'd never seen swing bowling absolutely clueless. Marsh won't last long either.

Words can't express how clueless Doolan batted there.

And Marsh goes first ball, all the good work undone. Neither Doolan nor Marsh should be anywhere near test cricket, one decent innings by each doesn't change that. Neither has the FC record to warrant it. I mean as bad as Doolan was that Marsh wicket was diabolical he's so square that it's screaming hit me on the pads. This will be over tonight.

Rezbit

Well it took the Saffers exactly one game to figure out Marsh and Doolan. Didn't see it but sounds like a real shocker from both of them; Doolan should have been out numerous times and a pair for Marsh. Yikes.

kmag

Clarke gone this will be over tonight. Didn't need to play at it but he looked almost a clueless as Doolan.

Saffers are bowling beautifully though. Ball is reversing like crazy.

du-20plessis-20art_20131027100426314412-620x349.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well at least we'll have two left handers now, so they won't be confounded by that superb inswinger.

Right?

kmag

Seriously though, do we just not know how to play swing bowling?

It's difficult to play late reverse swing but it's not impossible, they've just been absolutely clueless the collapses in this test were always coming, the lower middle order and the tail isn't always going to be able bail out the utter failures of 3 of the first batters which seems to happen almost everytime Australia bat especially first innings.

This game rested on Warner having a brain fart against part time off spin, if he had kept up scoring until tea then South Africa would have went into their shells, instead Doolan who looks utterly hopeless at this level game out an spent 5 or overs gifting chances to anything which came within 3ft of his offstump.

Antiwhippy

Can't really blame warner. He gave australia the start they've been looking for all series and the others have spectacularly failed to capitalise on that.

Fair play to steyn though, he is bowling absolutely incredibly now. I almost don't care if we get bundled out tonight. Just incredible to watch.

kmag

Note to all bowlers, apparently if you scream at Dharmesna long enough he'll do whatever you want. Marginal, marginal lbw call given after about 5 minutes of 'deliberation'

Antiwhippy

Well played by the Saffers. I'm sure australia has a lot of things they have to consider now.

Holy shit though. The way we collapsed absolutely blew my mind. The scorecard itself is hilarious. 107 and 66 for the openers, and then a string of ducks and single digit scores the rest of the way through. Credit to the saffers too because what they've shown is a masterclass in fast swing bowling.

And that's why they are the number 1 team and have the number 1 bowling line up. We still have a long way to go.

I'm upset I couldn't see any of the match. Looks like it was a ripper. Congrats to SA.

master15

Went to bed with 1 down and wake up and it's all over. Guess Australia batsmen decided to sink rather than swim.

3rd test should be a cracker.

Jezbollah

Wow, there is something about South Africa that brings a colossal collapse when it happens for Australia isn't there?

That was a great comeback. To go from a big defeat like that to beating the Aussies inside four days. I reckon some were a bit quick to write South Africa off.

Decider at Newlands coming up now, should be a great game.

Antiwhippy

So what should australia do now, I wonder.

Shane watson is probably going to be back after a catastrophic loss such as this, but I don't think other than that australia will make too many changes.

I can see siddle going though because he has not been doing his job of a containment bowler at all, and with watson coming in to fill that niche australia might look for a different bowler. If that's the case, probably pattinson or jackson bird are gonna be in right?

I was busy on the weekend so sorry for not posting.

I went to bed last night at 1 down and recorded the rest to get up early this morning and watch the rest of the days play.

Well bowled by Steyn and co. The Smith ball was as unkind a ball you would want to face first up.

It would have been unjust if SA did not win the match after our poor first innings, but I had hoped there would at least be a draw when I went to bed.

It was a bad collapse but very good bowling. Would have ripped through every current lineup in Test cricket.

I take back what I may have said about Steyn appearing injured and off the boil. I now think he is a bit of downhill skier, like Anderson, who gets put off very quickly if there is no swing about. However, if there is some assistance, then he lifts pretty quickly and can be unplayable.

Watson will come in for the third test to help the bowlers out. I think Marsh will be dropped and they will persever with Doolan. However, Doolan looked very shaky facing the timid spin from Duminy. Didnt look like he had much of a plan, similar to De Kock against Lyon.

Harris looks injured and not his usual self, despite bowling quick in patches. His accuracy had been down a fair bit. I would also think very carefully about playing him in Cape Town and maybe bring in Pattinson to freshen up the attack.

My team for Cape Town: Warner, Rogers, Doolan, Smith, Clarke, Watson, Haddin, Johnson, Harris/Pattinson, Siddle, Lyon.

Westlo

If steyn's a downhill skier so is every bowler in our lineup, it's not like Steyn took 10 wickets @ the G in 08 when it was a batting wicket or anything.

Antiwhippy

Steyn is more reliant on swing while our bowlers currently rely heavily on bounce and seam movement.

The sad thing for me is that our batting lineup seems as weak as ever.

Dools still seem like someone we should try to develop, but goddamn his breakdown in his innings was hard to watch. Seems like he couldn't handle pressure at all.

If steyn's a downhill skier so is every bowler in our lineup, it's not like Steyn took 10 wickets @ the G in 08 when it was a batting wicket or anything.

I would call a downhill skier as someone who doesn't give his all, especially when conditions do not suit him, but when conditions do, he loves it and lifts exponentially.

Its not such a bad thing as I can see why he does it (to reduce risk of injury) and I am not downplaying how good he can be (such as last night). Its just that when he doesn't get the swing he wants, he can act totally uninterested and appear to not give 100% all the time. Hence why I thought he might be injured or playing with injury and hence why I think he is like Anderson.

It has occurred in the last couple of years really, as Steyn has gotten older and probably more experienced about when to go full tilt (when conditions suit him) and when not to risk injury. He is a completely different bowler now compared to when he was in 2008, when he did run in at 100% all the time. The change I think now has been to increase the duration of his career as noone could bowl like he was steaming in in 2008 for too long.

I've watched most of the South African series against India and now Australia, and he has only bowled like last night only in one or two other spells in the last four matches.

Somebody who I would not call a downhill skier is Peter Siddle. He is someone who tends to go as hard as he can and sometimes harder when the going gets tough.

Steyn is more reliant on swing while our bowlers currently rely heavily on bounce and seam movement.

The sad thing for me is that our batting lineup seems as weak as ever.

Dools still seem like someone we should try to develop, but goddamn his breakdown in his innings was hard to watch. Seems like he couldn't handle pressure at all.

Dool's innings was very tough to watch. He looked like a completely different player to the first test.

A lot of it was due to pressure but I also think he doesn't like spin much by the way he (tried to) play the spinner. He was very indicisive and not sure weather to attack, defend or confident enough to use his feet and get to the ball as it hit the footmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom