• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia tour of South Africa |OT| Battle of the Batsmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxx19

Banned
I've whinged about the pitch being dead ,now get ready for the most epic batting collapse of all time. HOPEFULLY it won't be another Lords debacle.

EDIT: Fuck me dead Rogers! All at sea.

kmag

That might have to be it for rogers I'm afraid. At his age there's not much wiggle room and he's failed the last 3 innings, he's probably got one more if he fails there then I think you move Doolan or Watson up again and try someone else. Putting Watson in resolves the 4th seamer issue, and moving Doolan up one gives you room for Watson, Faulkner (I know he's injured) or Henriques.

Moxx19

Banned
Mr. Teeny off to a flyer. Watch him get out after a quick 20 or so.

EDIT: Another Lord's debacle coming right up.

kmag

Marsh out for a duck. Parnell 2 for 0.
Australia now in a position to lose this test. They've lost two wickets to really innocuous balls.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Sigh.

Well, at least we still have steve smith and haddin, the serial first inning savers... right?

Their pacemen have been getting a lot of life out of this pitch though.

kmag

Australia in real trouble, Clarke throws his wicket away to anothing ball yet again.Its going to take Warner, Smith or Haddin to put together a proper innings.

Antiwhippy

Courageous innings by Lyon. Got lucky a few times but he did his job.

Warner seems to be in good knick but I'm always scared when he goes into ODI mode. Feels like he'd get out more often then not.

hamchan

Lyon survives till the end of the day what a legend.

Looking likely to be 1-1 at this point and frankly that's probably going to be the best result.

Eh, a bit early to call a SA victory for this test.

Copied from Reddit:

Australia's first innings situations in the last six tests...
6/132, win by 381 runs
4/174, win by 218 runs
5/143, win by 150 runs
6/122, win by 8 wkts
5/97, win by 281 runs
4/98, win by 281 runs
4/81 today...

So Aus top order collapsing is kinda a usual thing now.

Moxx19

Banned
Lyon must have the shits. Bowls his heart out for 45 overs and gets 5 wickets when the seamers were doing nothing then gets sent out as night watchman and is peppered with 150 k bouncers yet still gets in behind them and saves his wicket.

kmag

South Africa's seamers making a mockery of the Australian's bowling peformance. Of course they've been aided by some terrible shot selection by the Australian 'top' order.

Lol Lyon, what a horrendous way to throw your wicket away. Batting wise are the Australian's the dumbest side in the world when it comes to shot selection? It seems you just need to throw it up around the off stump often enough and they'll eventually take the bait (in fact you don't normally have to wait long)

Looking extremely likely that it will be 1-1 going into the final test.

Antiwhippy

I'll be happy if we can avoid the follow on.

Bit harsh on Lyon, he's a no. 11 doing nightwatchmen duties after over 40 overs of bowling.

DeSo

Banned
Hopefully these two can build a partnership otherwise we're up shit creek. Smith looks good at least.

kmag

I'll be happy if we can avoid the follow on.

Bit harsh on Lyon, he's a no. 11 doing nightwatchmen duties after over 40 overs of bowling.

And he was looking solid enough defensively, they'd just lost a wicket and he decides that's the exact time to take a step away from his stumps and try to hoick a bouncer over 3rd man? No 1 or No 11 that's just silly.

Westlo

said to my old man @ the start of the week S.A will win this one and draw the next one, looking good so far.

Warner is a moron.

it's amazing how much shit he talks, you would think he has the record of lara or sachin. At least mcgrath was at the top of his field when he talked trash about everyone.

Moxx19

Banned
Lol. What a demolition, Good bowling plus bad batting. Gotta give credit to South Africa what was to us a dead pitch is an absolute minefield when they bowl. This could be over tonight.

We should have had Australia out much cheaper. Way to many dropped catches. Also, we're now a bowler down for the rest of the test and Amla has a dislocated finger.

We're still in a good position, provided we get these last two wickets cheaply. Australia score quickly though.

Westlo

Lol. What a demolition, Good bowling plus bad batting. Gotta give credit to South Africa what was to us a dead pitch is an absolute minefield when they bowl. This could be over tonight.

S.A need to bat again just to inflict more overs onto our bowlers. No way in hell would I force a follow on.

kmag

that's an absolutely ridiculous decision based on the terms of DRS. Absolutely no definitive proof to overturn the onfield decision. Ridiculous.

It goes back to proving a negative. A noise, especially an extremely faint one does not prove anything it certainly shouldn't enough to overturn the onfield decision when the visual and hotspot evidence is not conclusive. If they want to give people out on that evidence they should throw out the onfield decision as part of DRS (which they probably should do anyway, but as currently written that should not be out)

Antiwhippy

Well bowled to the saffers, but god we have batted absolutely brainlessly. It's all well and good to say that you're playing your natural game, but when the wicket doesn't suit it don't bloody do it. Why are we going at 4.31 an over?

I've missed most of this afternoon's session but of the wickets I've seen fallen only doolan was the one which I will class unplayable.

DeSo

Banned
We only have one world class bat and he's out of form. The collapse is always on with us, you just hope SOMEONE fires and there is someone there to support. Credit to SA though, they bowled very well.

DeSo

Banned
Looks like Amla's found form again, not what Australia want to see. Even if it does rain the final day will be a tough ask to draw this one.

master15

Really, really late here. Good aggressive declaration here let's see in the morning if Australia's batsmen sink or swim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom