• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2017 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The fact a player can be broken by a match that happened 9 years ago now is sad.

Jerm411

Outside of am Tiger/Phil, don't know if I've ever seen one player be so inside another guy's head and just break him down mentally....

It really is, though. He's a great frontrunner, but if he loses a set or misses a series of break points in a row, he often just crashes out of games mentally for a bit. Been that way his whole career.

That's where the frustration stems from. You know he's capable of doing it. You watch him play incredible all tournament and even at points during the final he can look unstoppable. Then all it takes is one off game and suddenly he falls apart. There's this constant feeling of 'if only'.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Outside of am Tiger/Phil, don't know if I've ever seen one player be so inside another guy's head and just break him down mentally....

I don't know, Murray gets inside Murray's head like nothing I've ever seen.

Usobuko

Banned
It's over.

Looks like Fed taking another L from Rafa. This Grand Slam is extra special because he can not only deny Rafa +1 to the tally but also opened up the gap between them. It's almost a +2 situation.

Oh well, I still root for you Federer.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
AO crowd is pretty good, one of the better ones for a major title. Obviously varies by the match to an extent, but this would be dreadful given the nature of the occasion if it was at the US.

Well, there is lots of frustration remaining over his last 3 finals against Djokovic as well. Federer can't seem to play at the level he shows earlier in the tournament. How many break points did he miss during the USO Final? If he was playing close to his best and not choking/making tons of errors I think fans would be more at peace. Seeing the great champ become a bit of mental midget is not fun.

That's the beauty of it. Federer is the greatest player (so far) but Nadal is his kryponite. This is his last chance to redeem himself in their rivalry so has he got another gear or will he shift back into mental midget mode? The games not over yet.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Fed has better BP conversion this match than Nadal, so you can't complain there.

images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom