• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Met up late last night, with a few other JZX owners at a car meet...

18878855_608997222631903_7577063295081775104_n.jpg

Bandit1

Thanks bro!
Will actually be starting a youtube channel in the very near future, in part to cover the various builds I have going on and in part because I'm currently in the process of getting a new business going, so I'm sure you'll be able to follow along pretty closely soon enough

Even better! I'll definitely stay tuned for that. Also, your project reminded me of this wicked Ferrari 458 Italia-powered 86 I saw on Speedhunters a few weeks back:

2017-Toyota-GT4586-Drifting-Speedhunters-by-Paddy-McGrath-5-1200x800.jpg

I picked up a Toyota 86 - 860 Special Edition in nova bomb orange with matching stitching this past Memorial Day. It already came with a TRD exhaust. I'll be getting some tint on the windows and a TRD cold air intake soon..

WP_20170529_14_27_07_Rich_zps3iy8c5fp.jpg

WP_20170529_14_41_34_Rich_zpscnykpaew.jpg

WP_20170531_16_58_28_Rich_zpssxej3ueg.jpg

Took it on some fun back country roads in So Cal.
WP_20170529_16_01_54_Rich%202_zpsohmc0fig.jpg

Still amazed how nice looking the 86/frs/brz is..

Its like It belong to a family of uglies and the 86 is adopted...

Havoc2049

Same way for just about any optional part really!

I was bored so I've been planning out my drift build today, picking up a second 86 with no engine or interior as a base for the project. (thank you people that blow their engines!!!)

q3xUWZ0.png

Still a toss between an LS3 and one of the other motors I have lay around for whats going into it, along with a redesigned subframe and most of the front support redone too.
Regardless of which route I take it'll have to be a rear mount radiator so I plan on cutting out the floor pans for what would normally be the rear seat and running custom channels up and to the rad. should be fun!

Shopping list so far:
Work Emotion CR Kiwami, White, 10.5J 22 all round
Tomei Xpreme UEL header
D2 R-Spec coilovers
Wisefab angle kit
Velox rear LCA
Godspeed billet CNC hydraulic brake
Runduce 6 pot calipers on 356mm disks front, reusing oem front calipers for hydro ebrake on rear

Fabrication list:
Secondary caliper mount for rear
Rollcage
Rear subframe
Front frame
Air channeling (Rad)
Air channeling (Front brake)
Sub channeling (Rad intake to rear dual caliper)

Damn! You aren't messing around. Nice!

Havoc2049

I mean the styling, especially the front end

Overall, the styling is pretty damn close. I was going to go with a BRZ Limited, as Toyota only had the base model, but then they came out with the 860, which is more in line with a Limited. The 860 even has the same rear spoiler as the BRZ. One thing that bugs me about the BRZ is the cheap looking chunk of black plastic on the front end, the "BRZ stash".

2017-subaru-brz-series-yellow-1-1-1.jpg

086_MY17_0061_V001.jpg

86 butt ugly?

Ugly like Racheal Leigh Cook in She's All That when she wear glasses?

C'mon the 86 nothing compare to Sloth like ugliness of what toyota been doing...

SliChillax

86 butt ugly?

Ugly like Racheal Leigh Cook in She's All That when she wear glasses?

C'mon the 86 nothing compare to Sloth like ugliness of what toyota been doing...

I meant to specify the front bumper only, I love the car in general but I think the BRZ has a much better front bumper.

Futaba

id have to agree on the front bumper not being pretty, but mainly for the new 86, the pre-facelift version looks alright in my opinion, i think it's just the oferly dramatic curves and pointy bits that puts me off it

aNGKf7P.jpg

Much prefer the older design

KRaZyAmmo

I always felt the Zenki version of the ZN6 GT86 was better than the Kouki. Even with aftermarket front bumpers, I still feel the Zenki is much better looking, The weird looking front radiator grill thing is weird without the bottom of the bumper connecting to the top.

matmanx1

I picked up a Toyota 86 - 860 Special Edition in nova bomb orange with matching stitching this past Memorial Day. It already came with a TRD exhaust. I'll be getting some tint on the windows and a TRD cold air intake soon..

WP_20170529_14_27_07_Rich_zps3iy8c5fp.jpg

WP_20170529_14_41_34_Rich_zpscnykpaew.jpg

WP_20170531_16_58_28_Rich_zpssxej3ueg.jpg

Took it on some fun back country roads in So Cal.
WP_20170529_16_01_54_Rich%202_zpsohmc0fig.jpg

I really like that color combo. That's one of the best looking stock 86's that I have seen. Congrats and enjoy it!

boltz

When it was first revealed, I thought that the 86's front bumper looked malformed, but it has grown on me and gives the car some character. The BRZ's looks a bit bland in comparison.

Also, I just installed LED turn signal bulbs and they look so much better than the stock incandescent ones. I've noticed that a lot of newer cars have LED brake lights now, but the turn signals are still incandescent, which makes them look cheap. Just go all the way!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Went to an 80s party in Los Gatos last night and an old friend arrived in his daily driver. Jesus.

WhGymlq.jpg

And I noticed this morning the car randomly driving by in the second shot.

TZawbYx.jpg

Went to an 80s party in Los Gatos last night and an old friend arrived in his daily driver. Jesus.

TZawbYx.jpg

Looks like a Gemballa Carrera GT. That's very rare.

Though your friend's got a pretty sick piece of kit as well. Plus, he's got the look for the party down, haha.

Laws00

Apparently there is a car show going on a t 6 flags. Cost money to get in so fuck that. As I was driving in the parking lot I just have seen no lie like 8 to 10 Subaru Wrx and sti cars in a row. All different years.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Those are some serious pics...wow. Does the guy with the LaFerrari know the owner of the CGT? Surely this can't be a coincidence right?

Stinkles

Those are some serious pics...wow. Does the guy with the LaFerrari know the owner of the CGT? Surely this can't be a coincidence right?

It's a complete coincidence- random snapshot. However the Ferrari guy owns a "regular" cgt too and just got back from Maranello where he took delivery of an 812 Superfast.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
My 6 yo is having an end of year party and since I'm an anti social jerk I've been planning something else to do. Even anticipated the moms parking right in front of my garage, so I parked my car at the top of the driveway and off to the side to make my escape...

Lol, wtf. Yes, 95% of my driveway is empty, including in front of the garage doors. I can't win.

I know there IS enough room for me to get out, but I'm still cracking ip

Stinkles

Come on now, did you drive it?

!

No but the owner is remarkably chill about it and probably would have let me. I did get to adjust the pedals assembly - the seats are bolted directly to the car's monocoque chassis, so to fit you press a button to slide the pedals towards you. Bonkers.

I'd be terrified to drive it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
No but the owner is remarkably chill about it and probably would have let me. I did get to adjust the pedals assembly - the seats are bolted directly to the car's monocoque chassis, so to fit you press a button to slide the pedals towards you. Bonkers.

I'd be terrified to drive it.

My god, same.

witness

Every few years I get the urge to drive a manual and I'm going through that now. My first car I bought was in 2003 when I bought a 1988 Mazda RX7 N/A with a 5 speed for $1500. I had my dad to teach me and unfortunately he was a horrible teacher and would usually laugh when I would constantly stall the car. Once I got into the rhythm though I was good but I left for college just a few months later so I never had it down or felt confident. Eventually the car was washed away by hurricane Katrina, never to be seen again. Now I want to try again but I don't know anyone here who has a standard to practice. There is a school that does have manual lessons (by the hour) and they do provide the vehicles so I'm thinking about trying that. I just want to feel comfortable next time I car shop to be able to look at everything I'm interested in, instead of crossing vehicles like the Focus ST and Civic Si off the list.

matmanx1

wooooo GTI

18879411_1347308578671270_2607492117328560128_n.jpg

Prolly the best idea. Get a refreshed R. Who knows, maybe I will be interested in a different car by then.

Beautiful! Enjoy it!

WhGymlq.jpg

TZawbYx.jpg

Wow! And you sitting there with that look and wig just makes it too. Classic.

Could not resist.

Oh LOL!

My 6 yo is having an end of year party and since I'm an anti social jerk I've been planning something else to do. Even anticipated the moms parking right in front of my garage, so I parked my car at the top of the driveway and off to the side to make my escape...

Lol, wtf. Yes, 95% of my driveway is empty, including in front of the garage doors. I can't win.

They were all thinking the same thing you were.

GHG

Lmao this always happens. I don't understand why some people feel the need to park next to somebody else even if there is so much free space everywhere else.

I parked at the far end of the supermarket car park the other day away from everybody else and the crazy people who HAVE to park as close to the entrance as physically possible, even if it means squeezing into a tight space and getting/causing door dings. I come out the supermarket and there is this huge ass pickup parked right next to me. He literally could have gone one space further either side of me as there was all the space in the world but nope, he's gotta park right next to me. And then he glares at me as I'm carefully getting into my car to avoid touching his car. Felt like telling him to go do one.

Why, just why.

Futaba

Someone forgot they lived in Japan when they were signing the paperwork for this thing.

Id ask how in the he'll it makes it down most roads here but after seeing the amount of linear scratched on the right hand side I already have my answer.

look at that poor parking space xD

Lmao this always happens. I don't understand why some people feel the need to park next to somebody else even if there is so much free space everywhere else.

I parked at the far end of the supermarket car park the other day away from everybody else and the crazy people who HAVE to park as close to the entrance as physically possible, even if it means squeezing into a tight space and getting/causing door dings. I come out the supermarket and there is this huge ass pickup parked right next to me. He literally could have gone one space further either side of me as there was all the space in the world but nope, he's gotta park right next to me. And then he glares at me as I'm carefully getting into my car to avoid touching his car. Felt like telling him to go do one.

Why, just why.

Because you think you're so god damned special with your nice car, parking so far away from everyone else. You think you're better than me because you have a nice car? Fuck you, Fuck you! You're not better than me or my fucking truck! I'll show you that you're not better than me! Fuck you!

That's why. :)

Top Bottom