• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Lmao this always happens. I don't understand why some people feel the need to park next to somebody else even if there is so much free space everywhere else.

I parked at the far end of the supermarket car park the other day away from everybody else and the crazy people who HAVE to park as close to the entrance as physically possible, even if it means squeezing into a tight space and getting/causing door dings. I come out the supermarket and there is this huge ass pickup parked right next to me. He literally could have gone one space further either side of me as there was all the space in the world but nope, he's gotta park right next to me. And then he glares at me as I'm carefully getting into my car to avoid touching his car. Felt like telling him to go do one.

Why, just why.

I have a feeling it is because they want to park far away like you but are too incompetent to park within the lines without another car next to them to align with.

Debate time:

Golf GTI or Focus ST?

Aaaaand go! Lol

Because you think you're so god damned special with your nice car, parking so far away from everyone else. You think you're better than me because you have a nice car? Fuck you, Fuck you! You're not better than me or my fucking truck! I'll show you that you're not better than me! Fuck you!

That's why. :)

Spoken like a man who regrets spending $50K on a truck that doesn't get them any poon lol.

GHG

Because you think you're so god damned special with your nice car, parking so far away from everyone else. You think you're better than me because you have a nice car? Fuck you, Fuck you! You're not better than me or my fucking truck! I'll show you that you're not better than me! Fuck you!

That's why. :)

Hahaha, you know what, I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what went through his head considering the way he glared at me.

And yes I am special, just leave me alone!

boltz

Debate time:

Golf GTI or Focus ST?

Aaaaand go! Lol

Spoken like a man who regrets spending $50K on a truck that doesn't get them any poon lol.

I'm a big fan of the FoST, but they seem to have a fair amount of issues with rough idling and CELs - check out one of their forums.

So the local Ford Dealer has two Fiesta STs that they are desperate to get rid of. I could get one hell of a deal on one but it wouldn't have the Recaro's but would just be for commuting so I really wouldn't need it.

I don't need another damn car but damn this is tempting.

GHG

Guys talk to me. E46 M3 as a track car? Yes or no?

What am I getting myself into? Am I a lunatic for even considering this?

SliChillax

Guys talk to me. E46 M3 as a track car? Yes or no?

What am I getting myself into? Am I a lunatic for even considering this?

You mean yes or yes

Had a nice surprise result today when I took my BMW to the dyno. I wasn't expecting my car to make 414hp and 585nm (431.5 lb ft) of torque. Car only has a JB4 chip tune on Map 2 (requires 98 octane minimum), Armytrix titanum catless downpipe and that's it for performance mods.
zA2SRXt.jpg

1uiuDcv.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
fczovfmaoujcrcfywrgk.png

TVR might actually be back this time. Scheduled to be revealed at Goodwood Revival on Sept 8th.

Created in conjunction with Gordon Murray Design, the 1200 kg car promises incredible 200mph performance and 0-60mph in less than 4 seconds. With the special launch edition car being offered at under £90,000, anticipation and demand for the 400BHP per tonne, five-litre, Cosworth developed V8-powered car is already at fever-pitch.

I mean, I have great respect for Gordon Murray, but post-F1 his work has been.. questionable. That's a great pitch for a performance car, however. Hopefully it carries the legacy well and looks even more ridiculous than the Sagaris (which almost seems tame today).

Blitzhex

You mean yes or yes

Had a nice surprise result today when I took my BMW to the dyno. I wasn't expecting my car to make 414hp and 585nm (431.5 lb ft) of torque. Car only has a JB4 chip tune on Map 2 (requires 98 octane minimum), Armytrix titanum catless downpipe and that's it for performance mods.

Those are some pretty nice numbers. JB4 doesn't flag the ecu right?
This has got me interested in dyno'ing my rs3 sedan because VAG official figures are always underrated.

SliChillax

Those are some pretty nice numbers. JB4 doesn't flag the ecu right?
This has got me interested in dyno'ing my rs3 sedan because VAG official figures are always underrated.

Nope, that's the good thing about a piggy back tune. I went to the dealer and they never mentioned it, warranty wasn't voided.

SliChillax

This should interest you since the TT-RS and RS3 share the same engine:

https://youtu.be/BYyOVr5AAwM

Dyno results start at around 1:40s in the video. Acceleration results weren't too shabby either:

https://youtu.be/3cD25wanmAE

Jethro hated how the TT RS handled at the third and fourth part of this series. I don't understand why the TT RS still suffers from the Audi syndrome when it's so much lighter than the M2 yet it understeers like a dog and the chassis is nowhere close to being as fun. Do Audi owners really not care about handling that Audi themselves don't bother to fine tune the chassis? I really wanna like the TT RS but I can't imagine spending so much money on something that doesn't handle all that well.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
You mean yes or yes

You should do a baseline test with the JB4 disabled and then compare with claimed numbers and a few other dynos to see how accurate your numbers are. Dynos have too much variation from brand to brand, it's so annoying sometimes.

SliChillax

You should do a baseline test with the JB4 disabled and then compare with claimed numbers and a few other dynos to see how accurate your numbers are. Dynos have too much variation from brand to brand, it's so annoying sometimes.

I could disable the JB4 but then I still have the catless downpipe. I've seen on forums people getting the same numbers with similar mods on other types of dynos. BMW as usual under rates their power figures like most germans do so no, I didn't gain almost 90hp with those mods only because my car stock doesn't make 325hp, it makes around 305whp. So I have gained around 55-60whp which is totally normal for JB4 with 100 octane fuel and catless downpipe. I was told that this dyno was accurate because the owner himself has an F80 M3 and told me that his car stock dyno'd at around 430hp. I also raced against an F80 M3 at a drag event last summer and I beat him 3 times. I had the same mods back then so I would say the dyno numbers are accurate.

AlphaSnake

I could disable the JB4 but then I still have the catless downpipe. I've seen on forums people getting the same numbers with similar mods on other types of dynos. BMW as usual under rates their power figures like most germans do so no, I didn't gain almost 90hp with those mods only because my car stock doesn't make 325hp, it makes around 305whp. So I have gained around 55-60whp which is totally normal for JB4 with 100 octane fuel and catless downpipe. I was told that this dyno was accurate because the owner himself has an F80 M3 and told me that his car stock dyno'd at around 430hp. I also raced against an F80 M3 at a drag event last summer and I beat him 3 times. I had the same mods back then so I would say the dyno numbers are accurate.

Ah, that's crank power. I thought it was WHP. Then yeah, sounds about right.

Malvolio

Debate time:

Golf GTI or Focus ST?

Aaaaand go! Lol

Own a GTI, but have a friend with a 2013 FoST Stage 2 that I've driven regularly. Personally, the ST is more fun to drive even stock. The torque vectoring really lets you swing the rear more than any FW drive car I've driven. It's a blast when driven hard. However, as a daily driver, I think the GTI is the better choice. It's just another level beyond when it comes to refinement, usable space and subdued styling. Frankly everything the FoST does better than the GTI, the FiST does with less weight. I'd choose the FiST if fun is the biggest factor.

AlphaSnake

Suspension is going in next week on Monday. A little nervous. Never modded the suspension on a car quite this expensive before. Exhausts and ECUs don't worry me. But suspensions always do.

I hope it's a clean install, no noises, good ride quality, etc.

Does no one in GAF own a FoST?

That seems unbelievable if true.

Own a GTI, but have a friend with a 2013 FoST Stage 2 that I've driven regularly. Personally, the ST is more fun to drive even stock. The torque vectoring really lets you swing the rear more than any FW drive car I've driven. It's a blast when driven hard. However, as a daily driver, I think the GTI is the better choice. It's just another level beyond when it comes to refinement, usable space and subdued styling. Frankly everything the FoST does better than the GTI, the FiST does with less weight. I'd choose the FiST if fun is the biggest factor.

Yeah this seems like the general opinion everywhere... the GTI is the responsible adult who knows how to have some fun while the FoST is the adult who doesn't plan on growing up lol.

I wonder where this places the new Civic Si and tangentially the WRX.

Yeah this seems like the general opinion everywhere... the GTI is the responsible adult who knows how to have some fun while the FoST is the adult who doesn't plan on growing up lol.

I wonder where this places the new Civic Si and tangentially the WRX.

The 10th gen Si definitely looks more grown up than the 9th gen, at least the sedan. I think it looks fairly understated all in all.

LaNaranja

So like, how bad of an idea is it to get a car with close to 100K miles? Conventional wisdom seems to be to stay the hell away from anything close to that but I have to assume build quality of vehicles has gone up and newer cars don't fall apart as easily. I am looking at a 2007 GTI that is beautiful with 90K miles and I am wondering if I should just stay the hell away or if it is safe to proceed.

Also while I am on the subject, what is the best bang for my buck that I can get for a car under $15,000? The cheaper the better but that is about my ceiling. I had been looking at Challengers but at this point I am a little uncertain about my future and thus want a car that I can pay off relatively quickly so that I am not held down by a loan.

TylerD

I just did some research on that and...

giphy.gif

I knew it was too good to be true for the price.

You can make sure to buy one that doesn't have the issue and then get a reinforcement kit and get it welded in when you swap out the rear subframe bushings. I'd assume you'd want to go full poly on those. If you do coil overs, you would probably want to buy rear shock and front strut tower reinforcement plates as well.

I have the BMW factory plates on front and Rogue Engineering kit on the back on my 330.

A gutted e46 330 with coilovers and a LSD would make a fun track rat too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6beACYk_lY

Also, zentrose is a great channel.

matmanx1

Jethro hated how the TT RS handled at the third and fourth part of this series. I don't understand why the TT RS still suffers from the Audi syndrome when it's so much lighter than the M2 yet it understeers like a dog and the chassis is nowhere close to being as fun. Do Audi owners really not care about handling that Audi themselves don't bother to fine tune the chassis? I really wanna like the TT RS but I can't imagine spending so much money on something that doesn't handle all that well.

Yeah, I watched that segment and it perplexes me as well. I love the way the TT looks and the motor in the RS is just awesome. Along with the Audi fit and finish and interior the car has a ton of upside. But the big problem is that handling. It really lets down what would otherwise be a killer sports car.

So like, how bad of an idea is it to get a car with close to 100K miles? Conventional wisdom seems to be to stay the hell away from anything close to that but I have to assume build quality of vehicles has gone up and newer cars don't fall apart as easily. I am looking at a 2007 GTI that is beautiful with 90K miles and I am wondering if I should just stay the hell away or if it is safe to proceed.

Also while I am on the subject, what is the best bang for my buck that I can get for a car under $15,000? The cheaper the better but that is about my ceiling. I had been looking at Challengers but at this point I am a little uncertain about my future and thus want a car that I can pay off relatively quickly so that I am not held down by a loan.

I would be skeptical of any older VW (that isnt a diesel) with that many miles. They are not known for their long term reliability. Mazda, Lexus, Toyota, Honda, Nissan and even Subaru would be much better in terms of not draining your wallet on endless repairs.

You haven't stated what your needs and wants are for the vehicle. That would also help narrow the search down. Seems like you want something fun but how roomy does it need to be? Does it need to have four doors? Are manual transmissions ok? How long is your commute? Stuff like that would be helpful to know.

LaNaranja

I would be skeptical of any older VW (that isnt a diesel) with that many miles. They are not known for their long term reliability. Mazda, Lexus, Toyota, Honda, Nissan and even Subaru would be much better in terms of not draining your wallet on endless repairs.

You haven't stated what your needs and wants are for the vehicle. That would also help narrow the search down. Seems like you want something fun but how roomy does it need to be? Does it need to have four doors? Are manual transmissions ok? How long is your commute? Stuff like that would be helpful to know.

Thank you for the info. I definitely don't want to get stuck with a headache in maintenance.

As far as my needs, I live embarrassingly close to the office but it is in Southern California so traffic variation means it can take 5-15 minutes. I occasionally work off site which can take me any number of places. Mannual transmition would be ok but I also don't think automatics are the devil. Doesn't need to be four doors, I was just looking for something that would be fun to drive and fairly cheap to buy and maintain for around a year or two while I finish getting my masters, after which point I could upgrade to something more snazzy and permanent.

SliChillax

Yeah, I watched that segment and it perplexes me as well. I love the way the TT looks and the motor in the RS is just awesome. Along with the Audi fit and finish and interior the car has a ton of upside. But the big problem is that handling. It really lets down what would otherwise be a killer sports car.
I blame the VW chassis, it's not made for a sports car that costs that much. It's still a Golf underneath with 400hp no matter how they sugar coat it with marketing mumbo jumbo. Still uses the mediocre Haldex all wheel drive and the engine hanging ahead of the front axle doesn't help. They can't push the engine back due to the VW platform so it ruins the balance of the chassis and causes understeer. I don't understand why they dont replace the haldex all wheel drive though if the engine can't be moved? They're just being lazy, they could do what Ford did and make an amazing awd system but no they gotta rip it out of a Golf and charge 70,000 euros.

TylerD

Thank you for the info. I definitely don't want to get stuck with a headache in maintenance.

As far as my needs, I live embarrassingly close to the office but it is in Southern California so traffic variation means it can take 5-15 minutes. I occasionally work off site which can take me any number of places. Mannual transmition would be ok but I also don't think automatics are the devil. Doesn't need to be four doors, I was just looking for something that would be fun to drive and fairly cheap to buy and maintain for around a year or two while I finish getting my masters, after which point I could upgrade to something more snazzy and permanent.

What do you have right now? If you are already talking about getting something else in a year or two why not get something like an older Civic with a stick for likely under 5K and have more money for the snazzy and permanent?

M.I.A.T.A = Miata Is Always The Answer

TylerD

Huh, there is a clean looking 01 996 coupe in silver with black/blue interior at a local dealer with 62K miles for 19500. I should obviously go drive it since I've been looking at 996s online and have never driven one right?

Hesemonni

Banned
Currently on a vacation in Mallorca, Spain and the second day of our trip the clutch of our rental Cooper Mini Cabrio decides to break down. The rental agency offered me a similar car, I asked whether they had any cabrio upgrades: sadly no. They did offer me a Range Rover Evoque for the rest of the trip and this being my first experience with the car I'm pretty much blown away by it. I'm not sure about the styling in the rear of the car, but otherwise it's an awesome little SUV. It's a diesel, not sure which one since the car doesn't have the registration papers inside. It has the Evoque text in blue, which I guess makes it the 150hp model? It's not the fastest rocket out there, but it feels very lively and it has absolutely no problems keeping up and actually outpacing the traffic.

Yeah, it's a tough one. That's a heck of a lot of car but the Porsche just creams it in everything that matters in a car like this. Personally I'd love to see this compare run with a base 718 and a PDK instead so that the cost and drivetrain is closer. (That Cayman as tested is probably about 80-85K. Granted 2500 or something stupid like that just for the color.) That said, the base with PDK is probably the same speed as a manual S and handles the same around a track, so I don't imagine it would have made a difference either way.

The M2 really puts on a great show here, too. A lot of car for 55-65K. Not a fan of the styling at all but I totally get why people love them.

I used to own a FoST, but have an RS now. Between a GTI and FoST, I'd go FoST just because it's a more fun car to drive IMO. Forcing oversteer on off-ramps never got old! But, if you don't need the bigger size, I agree with others that the FiST is the better choice.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A truck driver got stuck in our parking lot and peeled some paint and plastic off my bumper. Now the shipping company is getting defensive and demanding video footage of the actual incident. Which I don't have. But I do have several eyewitnesses who saw him maneuver near my bumper, and photos of the truck doing all sorts of ridiculous maneuvers, including knocking over a recycling bin and dragging it around the parking lot.

Have asked our security to check footage.

Any ideas on how to go after them? It's only a few hundred bucks, but it's the principle. They KNOW it was their guy who did it.

AlphaSnake

A truck driver got stuck in our parking lot and peeled some paint and plastic off my bumper. Now the shipping company is getting defensive and demanding video footage of the actual incident. Which I don't have. But I do have several eyewitnesses who saw him maneuver near my bumper, and photos of the truck doing all sorts of ridiculous maneuvers, including knocking over a recycling bin and dragging it around the parking lot.

Have asked our security to check footage.

Any ideas on how to go after them? It's only a few hundred bucks, but it's the principle. They KNOW it was their guy who did it.

Police report. Have eyewitnesses state their claim.

The police should be able to get the trucking company to provide their insurance info - simply hold on to that info, but do NOT contact your insurance. Try a few minor threats first so they pay you cash from the company books or something. If you get their insurance info, call them with the police report and eyewitness statements. Do NOT contact your insurance company. You don't want a CarFax claim on your car for something less than what the deductible is.

Imo, anything under $1K is not needed to a file claim for. Just ruins the value of a car.

witness

Cheap, fun, and low maintenance? Sounds like a 8th gen, or 9th if you want to spend closer to $15k, Civic Si to me. Also, if you want to roll VW, look at MKV, or MKVI depending on budget, GTI/GLI and just have one thoroughly inspected that you like.

v1lla21

Ima second what TylerD said as well. If you're gonna be upgrading in a couple of years, might as well buy a real cheap car instead of splurging over 6k on a car you'll get rid of soon.

Anyways, just finished washing my baby. Had to get it done today before going down to LA next week.

After watching MightyCarMods do a modded WRX vs stock Evo X with the TC-SST, I looked at Evo X prices and what in the fuck?

How the hell is it going up in value??

Who the hell would pay $30K for a dead car with a 5-speed manual, 45k miles and shit ride?

Actually I'm not bagging on the car, I want one... but even the insane part of my brain is telling me that this is a horrible idea lol.

The 10th gen Si definitely looks more grown up than the 9th gen, at least the sedan. I think it looks fairly understated all in all.

Interestingly enough a lot of people hate the look of the 10th gen. I actually think it's okay, but then again I also like the Predator grilles on the Lexus' so idk lol.

I used to own a FoST, but have an RS now. Between a GTI and FoST, I'd go FoST just because it's a more fun car to drive IMO. Forcing oversteer on off-ramps never got old! But, if you don't need the bigger size, I agree with others that the FiST is the better choice.

So we do have one, well had one, but at least you upgraded to the right car haha.

I really need to get a proper test drive of the FoST.

I've read some other comparisons, Mazdaspeed3 vs FoST, and even those say that the FoST is a lot more raucous than the MS3 which I find to be insane as the MS3 will torque steer you to a ditch if you blink for even just a second.

AlphaSnake

After watching MightyCarMods do a modded WRX vs stock Evo X with the TC-SST, I looked at Evo X prices and what in the fuck?

Who the hell would pay $30K for a dead car with a 5-speed manual, 45k miles and shit ride?

Actually I'm not bagging on the car, I want one... but even the insane part of my brain is telling me that this is a horrible idea lol.

Because the Evo plate is dead in the US, the cars are going to become extremely sought after now. This often happens to performance cars. If Subaru killed the WRX STi tomorrow, the end result would be the same.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Police report. Have eyewitnesses state their claim.

The police should be able to get the trucking company to provide their insurance info - simply hold on to that info, but do NOT contact your insurance. Try a few minor threats first so they pay you cash from the company books or something. If you get their insurance info, call them with the police report and eyewitness statements. Do NOT contact your insurance company. You don't want a CarFax claim on your car for something less than what the deductible is.

Imo, anything under $1K is not needed to a file claim for. Just ruins the value of a car.

Sent the dude photos and eyewitness accounts and he immediately turned into a jackass, wouldn't tell me his surname or the name of his insurance company and effectively accused me of organizing the world's most elaborate fraud, which apparently included making his driver get stuck in a parking lot and knock over a trash can.

The thing is, the asking price never really reflect on the actual selling price.

It becomes a trends...

Alot of particular car type/group try to hype up their car value...

Someone wants to sell their super duper rare mass production car. They go that particular car forum asking whats the value of their car..all they hear is .."our cars are definitely raising in value bro people be peaunut butter and jealous!"
" "nice car man..you should sell it for a million!" "(insert body code) are da best!"...

Then wonder why they havent sold their car for 6 months, all they get are tire kickers and low ballers(me)...

Because the Evo plate is dead in the US, the cars are going to become extremely sought after now. This often happens to performance cars. If Subaru killed the WRX STi tomorrow, the end result would be the same.

You're right but it has to peak then drop down at some point right?

It's been a year since they killed the name plate so it should start dropping right?

Then wonder why they havent sold their car for 6 months, all they get are tire kickers and low ballers(me)...

See that's the thing that I hate lol.

The closest Evo X to me has been sitting at the lot since February and no one has bought it. A friend actually went there last month to take a look at it and he told the dealer he'd take it the same day if they take off a grand on it but the dealer didn't even want to take $500 off. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So is the dealership just dumb or are they just waiting for the dumbass who's frothing at mouth to buy it?

I love Evo's... they're definitely one my dream cars but even I'm not that dumb to sacrifice my finances to get it.

TFGB

It's been a while, but I thought I'd introduce the latest member to the family that we bought from a car show a couple of months back.

"Flame"...our 1990 1275 Flame Red Racing Checkmate. He's a cheeky little number that likes to make a bit of noise!

BIXys52.jpg

It's a bit shameful to say that when we bought him we were completely off our faces, so much so that my other half didn't even remember buying him the next morning when we woke/sobered up lol. :/

Top Bottom