• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Futaba

Finally getting around to reinstalling the 86's interior now it's upgraded, and remembering where all the various screw sizes go after taking them out several months ago is somewhat of a pain in the ass, lol.

Will post up some pictures when I'm done with the install!

Pinewood

Finally getting around to reinstalling the 86's interior now it's upgraded, and remembering where all the various screw sizes go after taking them out several months ago is somewhat of a pain in the ass, lol.

Will post up some pictures when I'm done with the install!

Good 2 rules of thumb when dis- and reassembling items:
1) make note where screws and such came from (I tape all screws for one thing togeather and write on it)
2) If you end up with parts left over after the assembly then its most likely fine if everything seems solid

1) make note where screws and such came from (I tape all screws for one thing togeather and write on it)
2) If you end up with parts left over after the assembly then its most likely fine if everything seems solid
Small Ziploc bags with labels on them are priceless for this sort of work.

Futaba

Didn't have much choice because most of the interior got sent to various locations around the world, and the screws were all installed back to keep the larger pieces together, dismantled elsewhere and shipped back

anyone have experience with Dinan tuning/mod to BMW?
Will it shorten the lifespan of the engine/drivetrain?

Depends on the engine and depends on the mod, most Dinan stuff has its own warranty.

You're right but it has to peak then drop down at some point right?

It's been a year since they killed the name plate so it should start dropping right?

See that's the thing that I hate lol.

The closest Evo X to me has been sitting at the lot since February and no one has bought it. A friend actually went there last month to take a look at it and he told the dealer he'd take it the same day if they take off a grand on it but the dealer didn't even want to take $500 off. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So is the dealership just dumb or are they just waiting for the dumbass who's frothing at mouth to buy it?

I love Evo's... they're definitely one my dream cars but even I'm not that dumb to sacrifice my finances to get it.

Current EVOs don't even come with Recaro seats and they are like 35k new. Its not worth it.

Evo 8/9s are still hanging around 13-20k and they will continue to sit there for a good while. First year Xs can be had for like 20-23k right now, the hard part is finding and unmolested one.

Also 9s are much better car than the X. The problem with these cars is the insurance as it was almost twice as expensive for my 9 than my E92M3. (600 a year versus 330 a year)

Ty4on

It's a bit shameful to say that when we bought him we were completely off our faces, so much so that my other half didn't even remember buying him the next morning when we woke/sobered up lol. :/
Nice buy!

I really want to drive an old Mini one day. They look like so much fun.

TylerD

Small Ziploc bags with labels on them are priceless for this sort of work.

+1 and for parts that have different length fasteners, spark plugs, coil packs, etc that you want to keep in a certain order. a cardboard box upside down with marker writing and x-shaped slits to hold the parts works well.

The oil filter housing on my car has 6 fasteners that are all different lengths.

----

I'm going to test drive that 01 996 this afternoon. Been a long time since i've driven a performance car with cable actuated throttle. I bet the throttle response is amazing. Flashing the ECU helped a ton with rev matching on my 330 though.

I'm going to test drive that 01 996 this afternoon. Been a long time since i've driven a performance car with cable actuated throttle. I bet the throttle response is amazing. Flashing the ECU helped a ton with rev matching on my 330 though.

Cable? My '00 C2 was drive by wire so I imagine the '01 is as well.

It's still very snappy, but it unfortunately has a clutch cut-out where the throttle response is muted when the clutch is depressed. There's a way to trick the car into thinking you never put the clutch in but a) if you use the clutch with the cruise control on you're going to be very surprised and b) the current owner probably won't like you playing around down in the footwell.

TylerD

Cable? My '00 C2 was drive by wire so I imagine the '01 is as well.

It's still very snappy, but it unfortunately has a clutch cut-out where the throttle response is muted when the clutch is depressed. There's a way to trick the car into thinking you never put the clutch in but a) if you use the clutch with the cruise control on you're going to be very surprised and b) the current owner probably won't like you playing around down in the footwell.

Thanks, you're right. I don't know what I was looking at when thinking it was a cable throttle.

So if you have the cruise on and use the clutch the revs pin? That's what my 944(s) did. Caught me out one time on my n/a and then I made sure it never happened again and never tried it on the Turbo.

This car is at a dealer. Shows 6 owners over the 62K miles when I researched the VIN. No interest in buying but this is "research" for the future.

https://www.genemesservw.com/used/Porsche/2001-Porsche-911-ebe4e5c40a0e09904874b9da15bb1f18.htm

There's another 01' 996 in town but with 107K miles for !!25,500 US dollars!!

http://www.brinkfleet.com/2001-Porsche-911-Carrera-COUPE-Lubbock-TX/5787367

Thanks, you're right. I don't know what I was looking at when thinking it was a cable throttle.

So if you have the cruise on and use the clutch the revs pin? That's what my 944(s) did. Caught me out one time on my n/a and then I made sure it never happened again and never tried it on the Turbo.

Yep! It will happily rev past 7000! Still, fooling that clutch microswitch is an essential mod for the car and, along with removing the far-too-helpful clutch helper spring, makes rev-matching and starting the car so much easier and more natural. I always used to stall the car from a stop until I made those changes, and then never again.

And damn that second one, 25k? Really? My '00 had 50k miles in '08 and was only 32k (and that was a little too high then!).

TFGB

Cheers @OnkelC and @Ty4on!

I might take him to the annual London to Brighton Mini Run next year, which is just a few miles along the coast from me. I did drive over there this year (it was a couple of weeks back) and the turnout was massive - well over 2000 Minis down on the seafront and then a load more that come from all over to visit.

It's the world's largest Mini gathering and is a superb atmosphere, even though it's maybe become a little too popular!

(Not my pic)
london_brighton_mi_2579919k.jpg

boltz

Sent the dude photos and eyewitness accounts and he immediately turned into a jackass, wouldn't tell me his surname or the name of his insurance company and effectively accused me of organizing the world's most elaborate fraud, which apparently included making his driver get stuck in a parking lot and knock over a trash can.

Bummer man, hope you get it all sorted out.

You're right but it has to peak then drop down at some point right?

It's been a year since they killed the name plate so it should start dropping right?

See that's the thing that I hate lol.

The closest Evo X to me has been sitting at the lot since February and no one has bought it. A friend actually went there last month to take a look at it and he told the dealer he'd take it the same day if they take off a grand on it but the dealer didn't even want to take $500 off. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So is the dealership just dumb or are they just waiting for the dumbass who's frothing at mouth to buy it?

I love Evo's... they're definitely one my dream cars but even I'm not that dumb to sacrifice my finances to get it.

Even though 2015 was the last Evo X model year, there are still a decent amount of new ones on dealer lots - my local Mitsubishi still has 7 of them! And I don't see their values going too high since there are plenty of good alternatives in its class, but I'd love to be wrong about that :p

It's been a while, but I thought I'd introduce the latest member to the family that we bought from a car show a couple of months back.

"Flame"...our 1990 1275 Flame Red Racing Checkmate. He's a cheeky little number that likes to make a bit of noise!

BIXys52.jpg

It's a bit shameful to say that when we bought him we were completely off our faces, so much so that my other half didn't even remember buying him the next morning when we woke/sobered up lol. :/

Cool little car - you could've done far worse than that being drunk :p

v1lla21

One day I'll have the kind of money to impulse buy a car and not remember that I did it :p congrats on the car though, TFGB. It looks really nice ^_^

Futaba

One day I'll have the kind of money to impulse buy a car and not remember that I did it :p congrats on the car though, TFGB. It looks really nice ^_^
You don't need money, you just need decent credit and alcohol :p sure remembering will be a lot more painful that way but hey, haha

GHG

You can make sure to buy one that doesn't have the issue and then get a reinforcement kit and get it welded in when you swap out the rear subframe bushings. I'd assume you'd want to go full poly on those. If you do coil overs, you would probably want to buy rear shock and front strut tower reinforcement plates as well.

I have the BMW factory plates on front and Rogue Engineering kit on the back on my 330.

A gutted e46 330 with coilovers and a LSD would make a fun track rat too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6beACYk_lY

Also, zentrose is a great channel.

Thanks for linking this, good channel. A 330ci seems like it could be a solid buy. Need to have a think about this, will probably look to import from Japan.

friday

Modern Porsche quesiton: Why would you buy a water cooled 911 over a Cayman?

Personally I think the a first gen Cayman S is about the best deal you can get if you are looking for German sports car.

matmanx1

I blame the VW chassis, it's not made for a sports car that costs that much. It's still a Golf underneath with 400hp no matter how they sugar coat it with marketing mumbo jumbo. Still uses the mediocre Haldex all wheel drive and the engine hanging ahead of the front axle doesn't help. They can't push the engine back due to the VW platform so it ruins the balance of the chassis and causes understeer. I don't understand why they dont replace the haldex all wheel drive though if the engine can't be moved? They're just being lazy, they could do what Ford did and make an amazing awd system but no they gotta rip it out of a Golf and charge 70,000 euros.

Yeah, you are right. But a lot of modern Audi's have the same issues. Haldex AWD system + motor hanging out over the front wheels. It's just a shame they couldn't sort the TT RS any better.

Huh, there is a clean looking 01 996 coupe in silver with black/blue interior at a local dealer with 62K miles for 19500. I should obviously go drive it since I've been looking at 996s online and have never driven one right?

Obviously!

Personally I think the a first gen Cayman S is about the best deal you can get if you are looking for German sports car.

Depends on the 911 and how much you can afford, I guess. I would most certainly take a ~ $20k 987 Cayman over a ~$20k 996 911 but once we get up to ~$40k then I am probably going to go for a 997 911. You just get more car.

I will say that even a base 987 Cayman is a fantastic and thrilling ride and one of my favorite sports cars ever. Had I the room for it I would love to have one in my driveway.

As a guy who, after some thinking is looking at basically this exact question in roughly a year and a half-2 years...

New, it's not even close. 4 cylinder or not, the base model is just too damn close in performance for the price difference to be worthwhile. Start looking at that used 10-25kish mileage range and it's a different story though because the price tightens up a lot.

Around here right now there's a damn near completely loaded 2013 911 S, 26K miles for 82K and a somewhat less loaded 2015 Cayman S, 16K miles for 70K. Both are certified preowned. The 911 is worth the extra cash in this case because it's got a moonroof, vented seats and the sport chrono package (launch control.) Plus the pretty big HP advantage.

New, the price gap is probably 30-40K between them. Screw that.

GHG

With all the Porsche chat I had a look at the 987 and...

https://youtu.be/Yx3R65mL4nc

I think this video just sold me on the 987 Cayman. 2006/2007 S models ones are in budget, now to hunt down a clean manual version which will not be easy. Looks like it should be the perfect weekend track beater.

Pinewood

Yeah, you are right. But a lot of modern Audi's have the same issues. Haldex AWD system + motor hanging out over the front wheels. It's just a shame they couldn't sort the TT RS any better.

Despite the issues I still kinda want the new TT. It looks cool and its not like I go around town throwing it around.

Speaking of subpar sports cars, I wouldnt mind a Lexus RC either...

witness

First mod is on its way for the GLI. I ordered a stainless deadpedal to match the rest of the factory set. Gotta start somewhere! No idea why it wasn't like this from the factory, it looks great on the GTI so that gave me the idea. Gonna hold off on the JB1 until next month.

I watched the video redline reviews put up today on the 2018 Camry, that V6 engine with 300hp on paper sounds pretty damn impressive. Interested to see what kind of numbers it puts down after the embargo drops.

kagete

First mod is on its way for the GLI. I ordered a stainless deadpedal to match the rest of the factory set. Gotta start somewhere! No idea why it wasn't like this from the factory, it looks great on the GTI so that gave me the idea. Gonna hold off on the JB1 until next month.

I watched the video redline reviews put up today on the 2018 Camry, that V6 engine with 300hp on paper sounds pretty damn impressive. Interested to see what kind of numbers it puts down after the embargo drops.

Honda timed their response or embargo lift for today as well. Accords will get the 2.0Turbo from the Civic Type R. This is a total bummer :/ The SI gets the CRV's 1.5T which is basically just the Civic's 1.5T but with a Mitsu TD04 turbo instead of a TD03 and around 25hp gained. Dyno tests already report the clutch slipping with a little extra torque added on the SI.

Now the Accord might not even get a gimped version of the Type R 2.0 because they have to stay competitive with the Camry's rated 300 hp. They might actually get a better, non-premium tune than what the Type R comes with today. And that Accord will definitely get a transmission that can put down all that power. The Civic SI is such a dud and now the top-flight Accord will be the everyday GT version of the type R. Sigh...

boltz

Honda timed their response or embargo lift for today as well. Accords will get the 2.0Turbo from the Civic Type R. This is a total bummer :/ The SI gets the CRV's 1.5T which is basically just the Civic's 1.5T but with a Mitsu TD04 turbo instead of a TD03 and around 25hp gained. Dyno tests already report the clutch slipping with a little extra torque added on the SI.

Now the Accord might not even get a gimped version of the Type R 2.0 because they have to stay competitive with the Camry's rated 300 hp. They might actually get a better, non-premium tune than what the Type R comes with today. And that Accord will definitely get a transmission that can put down all that power. The Civic SI is such a dud and now the top-flight Accord will be the everyday GT version of the type R. Sigh...

I can already imagine all the folks who just bought a new Si with deep buyer's remorse. But it's crazy that we live in a world with 300 hp Camrys now.

So my girlfriend and I are going to be cruising around Europe at the end of August and, being who I am, will be taking a few days to visit Germany, namely Nurburg.

While we're there, though, what else is good? Are the Porsche and Mercedes museums in Stuttgart kicking rad and absolutely worth going to? This portion of the trip is going to be firmly in the David camp, not hers, but I'd like her to see something cool and new.

witness

Goddamn, that's crazy they are putting that in the Accord. I did not see that news. Man I don't know what's happening anymore when we're going to have Camrys and Accords running around with 300hp from the factory. Pretty fucking awesome though.

So the Si already has transmission issues with some modifications?

kagete

Goddamn, that's crazy they are putting that in the Accord. I did not see that news. Man I don't know what's happening anymore when we're going to have Camrys and Accords running around with 300hp from the factory. Pretty fucking awesome though.

So the Si already has transmission issues with some modifications?

Yeah. It's still a great package overall for the money but the engine is a dud because they just overboosted the CRV's package to get to 205 and called it a day. The Type R and now this future Accord (now affectionately being called the Accord Type R or ATR) are really where the old Honda performance fanboys should be buying instead. That's historically been a very price-conscious demographic though so I'm not sure if Honda forcing them upmarket will be too well-received. At the CTR or ATR price ranges of $35k and up there's just a lot of competition that will compete for your money that the previous SI's at $23k really didn't have.

The good news from the SI dyno tests is that it makes the rated hp/tq figures at the wheel.

http://blog.vittuned.com/introducing-the-2017-civic-si/

"The graph on the right shows what the Si makes on premium grade fuel (Si is solid again) vs our base EX-T. I noted no slip at this ramp rate, so I put the dyno back to the original speed and did another pull — and of course with the boost coming in sooner the car made more torque, and we hit some clutch slip (as you can see — chart on the left). So looks like on 92-93 octane we will see anywhere from 200-206whp and 210-220wtq (depending on your luck with the clutch)."​

I can already imagine all the folks who just bought a new Si with deep buyer's remorse. But it's crazy that we live in a world with 300 hp Camrys now.

I think honda fanboys just felt a little betrayed but analysts were already predicting this exact configuration last year when the CRV was officially revealed.

boltz

Yeah. It's still a great package overall for the money but the engine is a dud because they just overboosted the CRV's package to get to 205 and called it a day. The Type R and now this future Accord (now affectionately being called the Accord Type R or ATR) are really where the old Honda performance fanboys should be buying instead. That's historically been a very price-conscious demographic though so I'm not sure if Honda forcing them upmarket will be too well-received. At the CTR or ATR price ranges of $35k and up there's just a lot of competition that will compete for your money that the previous SI's at $23k really didn't have.

The good news from the SI dyno tests is that it makes the rated hp/tq figures at the wheel.

http://blog.vittuned.com/introducing-the-2017-civic-si/

I think honda fanboys just felt a little betrayed but analysts were already predicting this exact configuration last year when the CRV was officially revealed.

I think the bigger threat to the Si is the fact that the non-Si civics are pretty good to begin with, which makes the Si seem like a lukewarm upgrade. Especially since they can be tuned to make similar power. It'll be interesting to see what the aftermarket can do with the Si though.

sfedai0

Banned
Si may be a underwhelming, but the price point is aboslutely in line and the aftermarket tune should make this a really fun car to drive. I think the visceral aspect Honda is missing but this Si is far more refined and upscale.

Vit added something like 45 hp to the Si with a quick tune which should keep Honda fans happy. But yeah, Accords and Camrys with 300hp is going to be crazy.

The V-6 accord already makes like 300HP is the thing. That engine is underrated. Gets great gas mileage and sounds great. If you can stand the slushbox that SOB gets 35MPG highway. The J series is a great engine, best thing about my car by far. Going to be sad to see it go. The lack of a coupe is a damn shame, too. I can't see myself driving a CTR at all, lacks the proper dress up when you need it manners.

If it were me, I would have ditched the fancier suspension and gone with a detuned CTR engine making 250HP and a stronger transmission instead. Would have made for a much better performance gap, what with the smaller Civic models being faster than the old Si now.

I'll be really damn curious what the 2.0T in the accord makes. I assume it'll be something similar or north of the CTR, the only question is by how much. If it's lighter and in a smaller package than the J series V6, then maybe they can somewhat fix how nose heavy the current car is. The extra torque could be nice, too.

Regardless, with it being FWD there's not much to be done about straight line acceleration here. There won't be an LSD in it so expect the same 5.6 0-60 and 13.5 or so quarter mile the current car pulls.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Mrs Stinkles announced today that she LOVES the Jaguar F-Pace six months after restricting me to a narrow pool of cars. She saw one in British racing green and fell in love.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Which option would you choose?

Daily-drive a C7 regular Stingray with the Z51 Package, or daily-drive a ~2011 Fusion with 100,000 miles, but keep a final-gen Viper in your garage for having fun a handful of times a year?

boltz

The V-6 accord already makes like 300HP is the thing. That engine is underrated. Gets great gas mileage and sounds great. If you can stand the slushbox that SOB gets 35MPG highway. The J series is a great engine, best thing about my car by far. Going to be sad to see it go. The lack of a coupe is a damn shame, too. I can't see myself driving a CTR at all, lacks the proper dress up when you need it manners.

If it were me, I would have ditched the fancier suspension and gone with a detuned CTR engine making 250HP and a stronger transmission instead. Would have made for a much better performance gap, what with the smaller Civic models being faster than the old Si now.

I'll be really damn curious what the 2.0T in the accord makes. I assume it'll be something similar or north of the CTR, the only question is by how much. If it's lighter and in a smaller package than the J series V6, then maybe they can somewhat fix how nose heavy the current car is. The extra torque could be nice, too.

Regardless, with it being FWD there's not much to be done about straight line acceleration here. There won't be an LSD in it so expect the same 5.6 0-60 and 13.5 or so quarter mile the current car pulls.

I just read up that the 2.0T accord will have a manual available and that it's going to be shedding a couple hundred pounds of weight. I think I'm more excited over that than the CTR now :p

matmanx1

Mrs Stinkles announced today that she LOVES the Jaguar F-Pace six months after restricting me to a narrow pool of cars. She saw one in British racing green and fell in love.

Well, you know what to do, right? =) F-Pace in BRG is pretty fantastic.

Daily-drive a C7 regular Stingray with the Z51 Package, or daily-drive a ~2011 Fusion with 100,000 miles, but keep a final-gen Viper in your garage for having fun a handful of times a year?

C7 daily driver all the way!

Bandit1

Think I'd have to go with having fun every day in the C7 instead of a few times a year with the Viper. Even though I think the cool/wow factor of the Viper is a good step up from the C7.

SliChillax

Doesn't the C7 with the Z51 handle better than the Viper anyway? I'd keep it as a daily and a weekend car.

If you can't/won't daily the Viper then yeah the C7 all the way.

Top Bottom