• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

boltz

Is it closer to DCEU? If so, it has to be a turd like the Pontiac Aztec or PT Cruiser.

But if it's more in line with the comic books, then yeah I also vote for the Ford GT.

True.

mazda-miata-54eb7ce273416.jpg

LOL, I've never seen some dudes happier in a Miata.

The backseat being 2 seats only, and not looking any special or bolstered, is gonna turn some people off I'd imagine. Couldn't even make em fully or partially red Honda??
Some people, sure. The majority of people? No way.

The type-r is atrocious looking. I would never want a street car that looks like that. The rear bumper and wing are just way too much.

Performance seems legit though.
I actually really like the look of the car. It grows on you the more you look at it. When you see it for the first time, you are in shock for a bit. Then it gradually starts looking cooler and more normal in a way.

Good luck with that lol.

My contact at the Honda dealer says to expect markups for the next few months as Honda hasn't really said anything about production numbers for the car. All they know is that each major dealer should at least get one or two Type-R's every month.

That spoiler rattling when you close the hatch is hilarious.

His comment about the sound is really interesting though.
I was actually really disappointed with Doug's review. He acted like he has never seen vortex generators before, even though they have been around for over a decade and I'm certain he has reviewed cars with them before.

As for the wing? Once again, he's acting clueless when I know he isn't. Most all wings flex. Even F1 wings flex. Airplane wings flex. They are made to flex.

I don't get the acting stupid shtick. Doug is way smarter than that.

SliChillax

I actually really like the look of the car. It grows on you the more you look at it. When you see it for the first time, you are in shock for a bit. Then it gradually starts looking cooler and more normal in a way.

Opposite happened to me. I liked it at first then I realized how over styled it was and got stale pretty quickly.

I know! The Nissan March Super Turbo!

yrcckfa4ikk6pgf7uckr.jpg

Hell yeah. I'd trade in a boring aventador roadster for one of these.

Though, I wonder how many rich people that could afford a lamborghini or other super expensive car, also own older cheap cars. Like in their garage next to their aventador they have an old datsun 620 or something like that.

bigJP

anyone use the insurance apps the monitors your driving? drive good receive a discount.

worthwhile or should i be concerned for privacy?

https://twitter.com/thesmokingtire/status/875427989562867712

On mobile and I'm too lazy to properly copy tweets from the app but this is in line with what my contact at Honda was telling me the other day.

But basically, CTR mark ups are going to be at least $5K and more.

And let's be honest, this shit ain't gonna sell for $40K. Besides Hondabros, it's gonna be a tough sell for the general enthusiast crowd. If the dealers keep this up, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the only Type-R we'll see before it goes away again.

I know! The Nissan March Super Turbo!

yrcckfa4ikk6pgf7uckr.jpg

Dammit, I've managed to avoid visiting Japanese Classic's website for a couple of weeks now...

https://twitter.com/thesmokingtire/status/875427989562867712

On mobile and I'm too lazy to properly copy tweets from the app but this is in line with what my contact at Honda was telling me the other day.

But basically, CTR mark ups are going to be at least $5K and more.

And let's be honest, this shit ain't gonna sell for $40K. Besides Hondabros, it's gonna be a tough sell for the general enthusiast crowd. If the dealers keep this up, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the only Type-R we'll see before it goes away again.

Dammit, I've managed to avoid visiting Japanese Classic's website for a couple of weeks now...

40k for a civic? .....hmmm...this might share the same fate as the new NSX.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Landmark Honda in Alexandria, VA.

GLE6u3O.jpg

Over 60 GRAND for a Civic.
giphy.gif

This shit should be illegal. Consumers have no way to access that advantage. And dealership networks write the laws that prevent direct sales to consumers. As bad as Health Insurance companies. Unnecessarily inserted into a market to steal money from consumers.

Yeah, GTFO with that pricing. Nobody but idiots will buy at that price; rare or not it's still an econo car with a bunch of factory performance mods strapped on. 35K is the correct price, and you can get away with tacking a few thousand on because it's rare but not almost 100%. That's insane.

At 60K there are tons of cars that you can buy at sticker that will be quite a bit higher end than this.

Anion

And dealerships wonder why they are hated.

Need the Apple/Tesla model. Company owned. Instead we all this legalize involved so company owned dealerships cannot be a thing.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
r40nRSZ.jpg

My friend who owns the LaFerrari also has one of these. he went to Maranello to get it in fact.

That's definitely the winner. Amazing vehicle.

I think if I had the opportunity, I'd get a used Ferrari F12. It may be my most favorite Ferrari of all time. The last time I loved a Ferrari this much was the 599GTB/GTO.

Yep.
xZv0Ice.jpg

How bad do you want a Civic? Not to mention, the CTR is the slowest car in its class. 60 GRAND.

Personally I'd pick the CTR over an RS any day of the week. At MSRP, that is. It should keep up with it fine on a track and it's going to have much better daily driver characteristics. Lose its ass at a stoplight though, thanks to FWD.

At 60K, there are literally 0 cars it compares favorably to. Everything in that range is either close enough performance wise and way, way more car or absolutely creams it performance wise (like that Mustang.) Or possibly both.

Personally I'd pick the CTR over an RS any day of the week. At MSRP, that is. It should keep up with it fine on a track and it's going to have much better daily driver characteristics. Lose its ass at a stoplight though, thanks to FWD.
This to me is the biggest appeal of the car. I watched a review of it yesterday where the reviewer basically said that while the car is marketed as a track weapon, it is more of an all-arounder/daily driver car that can excel on a track.

Apparently, the Type R on it's stiffest setting (+R) is softer than the RS on its softest setting, or at least feels that way according to that same reviewer.

I would be using the car as a daily driver, with no plans to ever track it. The Type R sounds like a perfect car for this. A reported 0-60 time of 5.5 - 5.8 seconds is fast enough to have some fun on the street.

But yeah, having to compare the Type R to GT350s, AMGs, Porsches, etc. due to this much of a bullshit markup is completely ridiculous.

This to me is the biggest appeal of the car. I watched a review of it yesterday where the reviewer basically said that while the car is marketed as a track weapon, it is more of an all-arounder/daily driver car that can excel on a track.

Apparently, the Type R on it's stiffest setting (+R) is softer than the RS on its softest setting, or at least feels that way according to that same reviewer.

I would be using the car as a daily driver, with no plans to ever track it. The Type R sounds like a perfect car for this. A reported 0-60 time of 5.5 - 5.8 seconds is fast enough to have some fun on the street.

But yeah, having to compare the Type R to GT350s, AMGs, Porsches, etc. due to this much of a bullshit markup is completely ridiculous.

Yep. Even if you're really stuck on having a hatch there are still options in that range that make it totally redundant.

SliChillax

I think if I had the opportunity, I'd get a used Ferrari F12. It may be my most favorite Ferrari of all time. The last time I loved a Ferrari this much was the 599GTB/GTO.

I'd gladly get an F12 over a Superfast, the F12 is already too fast and so responsive so having 800hp will only make it scarier haha. I also prefer the front end and siwde view of the F12 a lot more but that's subjective. I've seen the 812 a couple of times in person and it didn't do anything for me, that face is a bit over designed.

boltz

It's funny you guys mention Ferrari because I just read this article regarding this one Ferrari collector:
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-david-lee-ferrari-20170615-htmlstory.html
Some interesting tidbits into the world of Ferrari collecting.

Yeah, GTFO with that pricing. Nobody but idiots will buy at that price; rare or not it's still an econo car with a bunch of factory performance mods strapped on. 35K is the correct price, and you can get away with tacking a few thousand on because it's rare but not almost 100%. That's insane.

At 60K there are tons of cars that you can buy at sticker that will be quite a bit higher end than this.

Considering a Cayman starts at $55k for a base model, you would have be the biggest idiot on Earth to buy a $60k Civic

matmanx1

GLE6u3O.jpg

giphy.gif

Pfffft get out of here with that garbage, Honda. Dealer adjusted markups are lame but a markup that's 80% of the original value of the car is just stupid. I"m genuinely excited for the CTR and I would love to see Honda do well with it but that's not the way to do it.

witness

GLE6u3O.jpg

giphy.gif

Oh fuck off with that shit. We finally get a Civic Type R in the US after 2 decades of waiting and dealers do that, can't say I'm surprised. The Type R has stoked the old Honda flames that I had as a teenager in the late 90s. Goddamn I thought the 99-'00 Si's in blue were perfect, I wanted one so damn bad. At least Gran Turismo 1 and 2 let me live out some fantasies at the time with Type Rs that were never sold here. Unfortunately the Type R wouldn't work for me now with that split rear bench and the looks are too over the top for me.

Evo X

Stinkles wins for closest guess.

It's actually Superfast in Italian. Lol

New 2017 Aventador Super Veloce Roadster. Matte white exterior. Black and red interior. More pics and video at delivery.

a2SnH9P.jpg

ameratsu

What's the endgame with a 25k dealer fee slapped onto a type r? Hope that some honda fanboy comes along with daddy's money and buys it anyways? Keep it as some stupid showroom piece and only drop the fee once supply has caught up with demand?

img_77593ru1c.jpg

Small Boxster update: spent a small fortune on a big service (everything from oil to plugs, air filter, etc), new tires (Michelin Pilot Sport) and a modification of the cooling system. It now has the same water pump as a 996 Turbo (and the GT2) and a thermostat that opens a bit sooner. Should prevent some of the thermal spikes these cars sometimes deal with in hot weather / stop go traffic.

3500 euro *cries* but the cool thing is, it does actually drive much better than before.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm so happy GAF, big personal achievement for me. My first self-owned car, bought and paid for by myself. It's not a sports car or a super charger, it's a Toyota Corolla 2017 but it's brand new and it's all mine !

yay

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Stinkles wins for closest guess.

It's actually Superfast in Italian. Lol

New 2017 Aventador Super Veloce Roadster. Matte white exterior. Black and red interior. More pics and video at delivery.

a2SnH9P.jpg

I'll take it!

One extra detail on the other Superfast is that it's the final one with the special livery that was used to raise money at auction for Italian earthquake survivors.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Aren't we getting close to a new model coming to replace the Aventador, or am I wrong?

Fairly wrong. The average lifespan of a V12 Lambo ranges from 10-14 years. The Countach ran fro 14, Diablo for 11, and Murcielago for 10. The Aventador is 7 years in. So it's got another 3 years of life in it, and most supercar owners don't even keep their cars that long anyway.

I doubt he's too bothered about a new Lambo approaching.

Put down a 5k deposit at my local BMW dealership to get on their M2 waitlist. Their allocations seem to be 2 cars a month, a couple months they'll get extra allocations.

There's 30 people in front of me and pretty much everyone was like, "Yeah, it's gonna be a year."

YOSPOS-puts-gun-to-head-guy-dancing-head-bopping-1411903135g.gif

SliChillax

Put down a 5k deposit at my local BMW dealership to get on their M2 waitlist. Their allocations seem to be 2 cars a month, a couple months they'll get extra allocations.

There's 30 people in front of me and pretty much everyone was like, "Yeah, it's gonna be a year."

YOSPOS-puts-gun-to-head-guy-dancing-head-bopping-1411903135g.gif

Damn the waiting list is still that long? The reason why I bought an M235i instead of an M2 was the 2 year waiting list. Can't you get a used one with low mileage? Here's in Europe prices have dropped to 50-55k.

I'm so happy GAF, big personal achievement for me. My first self-owned car, bought and paid for by myself. It's not a sports car or a super charger, it's a Toyota Corolla 2017 but it's brand new and it's all mine !

yay

Yeah, that first car feel is a pretty amazing one. Congrats on the new baby!

Top Bottom