• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Or you might have better cars to drive. My friend who owns an F12, bought an Aventador and really hated it. Said it's the worst decisicion he's ever done, the Ferrari drove so much better it wasnt even close. He immediately sold the Lambo to his sister and has been happy ever since.

That's pretty much a given though :p

*edit* Bonus review, very in-depth. (Redline Reviews)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFhd2Ubaagw

Redline Reviews is seriously one of the best new car reviewers on YT. Sofyan's no bullshit reviews are so damn informative, he's really the only one I watch for new cars.

Anyway, this video just sealed the fate of the Si for me.

Looks like I'm gonna start saving up some cash now and hopefully by the end of the year, I'll have enough for the Type-R
(I'm also probably gonna take a look at the FoRS and Golf R lol)

Watching this made me realize the Si is gonna have the same problem as the Ecoboost Mustang against the GT. The Si will be a fun car provided you aren't anywhere near a Type-R coz once you see one next to it, you're immediately gonna regret getting the Si lol.

Exactly why I sold mine. It was mint with 35k, JDM recaros and rims. If I had a garage, I would have kept it forever.

Mine was 98 championship white, JDM front end. Spoon sport everything! Every spoon part you can think of! Only thing that was not spoon was the Mugen whale penis.

I was straight out paranoid especially cause im in Cali bay area. Any of my parts could fit a civic and the jdm front end is a jackpot for thiefs. Regret selling it and foolishly got an NSX..

sfedai0

Banned
Mine was 98 championship white, JDM front end. Spoon sport everything! Every spoon part you can think of! Only thing that was not spoon was the Mugen whale penis.

I was straight out paranoid especially cause im in Cali bay area. Any of my parts could fit a civic and the jdm front end is a jackpot for thiefs. Regret selling it and foolishly got an NSX..

Sounds like a museum piece. Did you not have a garage?

Sounds like a museum piece. Did you not have a garage?

Got a garage...but back then people where breaking in peoples houses.

Rims, recaros, jdm front and calipers is like an easy 15k for the thiefs. Then the actual car can be strip to pieces and every piece can be put into a civic.

I stalked the person who bought it from me on a forum...dude ended up putting turbo :(

sfedai0

Banned
Got a garage...but back then people where breaking in peoples houses.

Rims, recaros, jdm front and calipers is like an easy 15k for the thiefs. Then the actual car can be strip to pieces and every piece can be put into a civic.

I stalked the person who bought it from me on a forum...dude ended up putting turbo :(

RIP. Which NSX did you get? Hope you kept that at least.

Bandit1

Thanks! but the widebody design isn't entirely mine, it's a clone of the rocketbunny v1 kit, i'm using it as a baseline for my own since it has the right arch width to properly house 11J wheels with the correct offset, as well as the cut templates for the original arches to house the wider wheels.

As for how people run them, the common way is to simply cut out the arches and slap thick spacers on, personally I don't like that approach because the balance of the wheel gets fucked up because the weight point isnt where the wheel was designed to take the weight, thus puts abnormal pressures on your hubs bearings and drives.

The correct way, if there is such a thing, is to run wheels wide enough for the new arch width, with the correct offset, and, normally, running a stronger hub unit, in addition to that you could also run fully wider tracked parts from a compatible car to space out the hub itself so the actual mounting points shift, but that's more the approach you take when you're custom fabricating stuff and have the time/money to do it, generally most people who dont even want the extra cost of a new wheelset, will just slap thick spacers on.

Here's a 4K render of the model with a better environment in place.

I see, wider wheels plus the offset makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

As Futaba already said, when you go widebody, you then usually buy wheels that are wider and lower offset that will fill out the fenders.

I did the same on my 240sx, so now I can shove huge wheels and tires under the fenders.

Had to go back and find your S13, didn't remember it being widened, but I see you're running a full aftermarket fender. A little more subtle, looks really good.

I didn't watch those videos, but does the Civic Type-R carry on the proud Honda tradition of being FWD?

Will the S2000 still be the only RWD car Honda ever made?

So what can you guys tell me about the 2016 Mustang Ecoboost? Thinking about checking one out.

Mustangs are Mustangs. Go drive one.

Anion

The Type R has seriously made me think of getting it as a second car. It's just that I already have a small sedan though haha. If I do get a second car, it would just have to be different type

If there aint any rediculouse dealer mark up. The new type r will actually be cheaper than than the old type r accounting inflation.

Fun fact:

The R in type-R originally didn't stand for "racing"

The type-R originated with the NSX type-R with the R standing for "Reduce" as is reduce weight.

I think i read that on a japanese magazine that was translated...anyone remember the website temple of Vtec?

Malvolio

I love that the Type R is delivering on the performance, but I'm not sure I've ever been more torn on the disparity between liking what a car can do and hating what it looks like. I've never seen a factory car that is so busy. I understand that they are functional additions, but I so much prefer the subtle looks of the Integra Type R where only a knowing eye can see the difference. I suppose once you're in the driver's seat none of that matters.

I love that the Type R is delivering on the performance, but I'm not sure I've ever been more torn on the disparity between liking what a car can do and hating what it looks like. I've never seen a factory car that is so busy. I understand that they are functional additions, but I so much prefer the subtle looks of the Integra Type R where only a knowing eye can see the difference. I suppose once you're in the driver's seat none of that matters.

The OG type-r wasn't so subtle during its era...big wing, 5 lugs compare to 4, no side trims, exclusive color..champ white, phoenix yellow...err flamemco black. It was pretty easy to distinguish.

negitoro7

In keeping with the Type R circle-jerk, I WANTS.

It speaks greatly to my inner 90s Honda fanboi. My 2010 Civic Si Sedan was still the funnest car I ever owned. Turned to DSG VWs since then and lust for a Honda 6MT again.

If I didn't already have a Golf R, I'd have already put my name and money down at the Honda dealer...

matmanx1

2017 Honda Civic Type R Review (Engineering Explained)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc_-DIxdn0A

mind_blown.gif

TLDR: The car is pretty much perfection.

*edit* Bonus review, very in-depth. (Redline Reviews)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFhd2Ubaagw

Just watched the Engineering Explained review. Looks like Honda has a real winner. Less weight than all of its competitors and more power than all of them except for the Focus RS. Oh yeah, and it costs less too!

SliChillax

I love the interior design of the new Type R, it finally looks good and not like a cheap plastic toy. I couldn't stand the FN2 and FK2, they made me wanna throw up everytime I looked at them. Shame it's still FWD, I cannot get into FWD cars no matter how good they are.

While I like the new civic type r, my only problem with it is more of a problem with the civic in general, which is that its just too big of a car now. Its basically the size of a mid - late 90's accord. Though I know this happens with all cars over time. But personally I'd rather have something like a honda fit type r.

negitoro7

I love the interior design of the new Type R, it finally looks good and now like a cheap plastic toy. I couldn't stand the FN2 and FK2, they made me wanna throw up everytime I looked at them. Shame it's still FWD, I cannot get into FWD cars no matter how good they are.

The backseat being 2 seats only, and not looking any special or bolstered, is gonna turn some people off I'd imagine. Couldn't even make em fully or partially red Honda??

friday

The type-r is atrocious looking. I would never want a street car that looks like that. The rear bumper and wing are just way too much.

Performance seems legit though.

I love the performance of the new CTR. It's a great car from that standpoint, for sure. It's probably the best hot hatch available in terms of performance + daily driver balance. Particularly if all you care about is the mechanical bits and features.

Not really feeling the styling though. Hopefully we see something along the lines of a new S2000 or a Prelude that's more understated and classy but has a similar powertrain to this.

boltz

What's the price of the type r?

With the destination charge, it's just under $35k.

As far as the Type-R exterior design goes, I'm split on it. It's just asking to be pulled over or have a race at every stoplight, but at the same time it is just so over the top, it's kinda endearing.

It is lame that it only seats four though (unless there is some legit performance reason for putting those cup holders in the middle of the rear bench.)

If there aint any rediculouse dealer mark up. The new type r will actually be cheaper than than the old type r accounting inflation.

Good luck with that lol.

My contact at the Honda dealer says to expect markups for the next few months as Honda hasn't really said anything about production numbers for the car. All they know is that each major dealer should at least get one or two Type-R's every month.

Speaking of CTR, here's Doug Demuro's review of the FK2 Civic Type R
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTURtQvSvHI

That spoiler rattling when you close the hatch is hilarious.

I do agree with his points about the extra af look and lack of refinement with certain things to the car.

His comment about the sound is really interesting though. Over the years, despite the sorta annoying drone that my exhaust makes at highway speeds, I've learned to live with it since my muffler is like a trombone of the gods. Punch the throttle and it just sounds delicious... hell, even driving my sister's standard Mazda3 with an intake is fun because I can hear that thing make cool noises lol.

As for the styling, I like it. But the caveat is that, and I might've said this before... I actually like the Predator grille from the Lexuses(Lexii?) so my taste might be a little off-kilter haha.

With the destination charge, it's just under $35k.

As far as the Type-R exterior design goes, I'm split on it. It's just asking to be pulled over or have a race at every stoplight, but at the same time it is just so over the top, it's kinda endearing.

It is lame that it only seats four though (unless there is some legit performance reason for putting those cup holders in the middle of the rear bench.)

Yeah, that is the only problem with this car. I got the same shit all of the time in my Evo.

Top Bottom