• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Gargantia 13
ic8mgkfvhqzsx6nl0i.gif

Why is it that people are going ballistic like KyoAni's RUINED with the fact that they're making this Dragon Girl thing?

Folks, you got Euphonium and Silent Voice. Phantom World didn't spell doom for KyoAni and neither will this. Who knows, you might end up liking it.

Yeesh, and people get mad at me for voicing my discontent with a show before watching it.

Metroidprimerib should be satisfied at least.

Wait for what???

I read Kobayashi-san and its pretty good. Same author as I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying. Also same author as Komori-san Can't Deny and that was pretty crap anime

edit: oh its full length? it probably shouldnt be tbh

Why is it that people are going ballistic like KyoAni's RUINED with the fact that they're making this Dragon Girl thing?

Folks, you got Euphonium and Silent Voice. Phantom World didn't spell doom for KyoAni and neither will this. Who knows, you might end up liking it.

Yeesh, and people get mad at me for voicing my discontent with a show before watching it.
KyoAni isn't ruined. And I get that this is the type of stuff that will probably sell more too. If this is what it takes for them to make more money to create the shows that I like, I don't care. In the end, they are a business. If they chose this, it's because they see an opportunity in the market.

I'm reading the manga right now and goddamn they bumped her breast size up a few numbers.

It's going to be fun to see how much bigger they will make her....
ebdabc2009aa41b5d43fc58a4f8fa408.jpg

Sadly I don't have much hope for the anime, Cool Kyoushinsha's adaptions have been very hit or miss and this being full length makes me even more wary.

If I'm to be charitable, perhaps people recall 2010-2012 when KyoAni pumped out K-ON!!, Nichijou, and Hyouka and long for another span of several years of unbroken masterpieces from the studio.

If I'm to be uncharitable, well, people are still yelling at KyoAni for not making more Full Metal Panic.

I dunno whats supposedly bad about Kobayashi-san

What I've seen people complain about is mostly that it seems on the face of it to be otaku-targeted and trashy. (Not like that would be a first for KyoAni, of course.)

Jex

If I was being crass I would say the first 13 episodes. Honestly though you pretty much have to watch it all. It all ties in, even the stuff that doesn't seem like it would.

There's a 2-part recap special called Arcadian Memory that obviously you don't have to bother with, but otherwise you'll need to watch the 2004 Fafner TV series, the 2005 Right of Left special, the 2010 Heaven and Earth movie, and the 2015 Exodus TV series in that order. Fafner is heavily reliant on continuity, shockingly so for an original anime whose entries came out over such a long span of time, so there's no part of the franchise you can easily skip. At any rate, it's the first 10 or so episodes of the original Fafner that are the roughest, mostly because they are rather empty in terms of fleshing out characters or simply giving you any concrete story explanations to latch onto. Once Ubukata comes on board as scriptwriter, that slowly becomes rectified and the back half of the original series is much easier to go through. Right of Left is a huge step up in visual presentation, and then Heaven and Earth is yet another big leap, which is continued in Exodus - once you get to Right of Left, it's smooth sailing.

Thanks for the info, especially the caveat that the earliest episodes are the roughest.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm talking about, in the thread here announcing the Full Metal Panic IV anime staff, there were several posters upset that KyoAni wasn't doing it.
That's not particularly unusual and is somewhat understandable. I would be somewhat pissed me if they did a Haruhi sequel with Satelight instead of KyoAni. Not to mention not everybody follows anime news religiously so I'm sure for some people that they expect similar staff as prior entries.

That's not particularly unusual and is somewhat understandable. I would be somewhat pissed me if they did a Haruhi sequel with Satelight instead of KyoAni. Not to mention not everybody follows anime news religiously so I'm sure for some people that they expect similar staff as prior entries.

Too bad they didn't go for Gonzo.

At any rate, there are people who seem to consider KyoAni their exclusive property and get very upset whenever KyoAni makes things that aren't targeted at them. I understand that KyoAni has the best production in the business, and personally I'd love it if KyoAni did more projects that pander to me specifically, but sadly they can't do everything.

Also, I suppose I should point out here that it looks like Pony Canyon is the main sponsor for Kobayashi-san, whereas KyoAni has been the main sponsor for all of their non-Amagi works for the past several years. So it looks like KyoAni is making this at the request of Pony Canyon, rather than the studio themselves being the main force behind the anime's creation as they were for Sound Euphonium.

pbayne

Digimon Appli Monsters 4

Continues to impress. Cool fight, more really inventive stuff with powers and whatnot(its better than JoJo for it currently).

Show by Rock S2 1-4

Meh not feeling it. It has the same problem that a lot of shounen shows have in that the main group are really dull compared to the others. The two minutes of Shingan doing sentai bullshit was way more enjoyable than anything Plasmagica did.

Udon Fox 1-3

Really surprised me, thoroughly enjoying this so far. Very cute but well written too, there's a bit more going on than lets make everyone feel a bit happy.

Vivid Strike 4

Lol not watching it but someone showed me a clip and jesus fuck.

Jarmel

Banned
Too bad they didn't go for Gonzo.

At any rate, there are people who seem to consider KyoAni their exclusive property and get very upset whenever KyoAni makes things that aren't targeted at them. I understand that KyoAni has the best production in the business, and personally I'd love it if KyoAni did more projects that pander to me specifically, but sadly they can't do everything.

Also, I suppose I should point out here that it looks like Pony Canyon is the main sponsor for Kobayashi-san, whereas KyoAni has been the main sponsor for all of their non-Amagi works for the past several years. So it looks like KyoAni is making this at the request of Pony Canyon, rather than the studio themselves being the main force behind the anime's creation as they were for Sound Euphonium.

Wanting a franchise to have the same staff and quality as previous entries is fairly basic across pretty much all mediums. Just check the recent Deadpool thread for proof of that. I doubt you would be happy if there was a Hyouka sequel made by Liden Films.

That is very different though than people wanting or expecting any sort of entity to pump out similar sorts of shows or only work on certain sorts of franchises.

Exalted

Trickster episode 4

Wow today's kidnapping case made even less sense than usually. Don't know why i'm still watching this.
In this episode there was an attack on a police patrol car which flipped over on a busy main street, and one of the two officers inside was quickly taken hostage. When assistance arrives , the other remaining officer which is unconscious from the impact has an video tape roll on him left by the attackers. On the tape there is a prerecorded video of the hostage that was just kidnapped that is taken in a far away place, reading demands from the hostage takers.

HOW DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE , TIME WISE ???

Ascheroth

Digimon Appli Monsters #4

Yep, great again except [insert angry rant about Appli Link sound design as usual].
Very creative use of the whole app theme again and I'm looking forward to meeting the second of the main cast next episode.
But seriously, I'm really excited thinking about what kind of things they're going to have going forward, and how stronger evolutions are going to work.
Good stuff.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Monster hunter Stories 1-4

1. Oh wait this is a kids show. I'll keep watching for the lore and the
Infected Nargacuga
(?)
2. New lore that makes sense in a monster hunter world for why these people ride monsters instead of whacking them for their gems. Also an actual Tigrex is capped.
3. Guild Hunter hype. He wrecked that monster like if he was a grank and it was low rank. The hunter even has a felyne helper that begs the question: what is this weird looking cat thing?
4. More guild people in the form of researchers this time. Seems like something menacing is happening.
Eh, it's probably nothing.

Overall, it's a kids show mixed with monster hunter. I'll keep watching because I need something good to watch before that dreaded Monster Hunter movie comes out.
They better fight a gore magala by the end of this series.

It's okay we will always have Tatami F/Z Mawaru and Eureka.

I imagined us running hand in hand along beautiful fields, shittalking and condemning Gargantia alongside E7 all day long. You ruined that dream!!

My Little Cold Blooded AI Can't Possibly Be This Bro

I knew it! You're a
chamber bro-taku
after all!

HYi7YYp.jpg

In other news, talented KyoAni director doing adaptation of likely subpar source material yet again. Welp, maybe it's actually substantially better than the drek that Amagi was.

Wanting a franchise to have the same staff and quality as previous entries is fairly basic across pretty much all mediums. Just check the recent Deadpool thread for proof of that. I doubt you would be happy if there was a Hyouka sequel made by Liden Films.

If there was a Hyouka sequel being made by Kazuya Sakamoto and his ex-KyoAni buddies at Liden Films Kyoto, I'd have no problem with that!

Taruranto

Erin 28-29

Woah, thanks assholes. Just in case someone skipped the previous episode preview, eh?

These two episodes have been weird, I actually thought episode 29 was going to end with a major tragedy or game changer because the series just kept piling sad stuff over Erin, and Lilan (Who is a girl WOAH) situation has to blow up in everyone faces at one point, but it actually ended up with nothing major in the end.

It also been like 2 episodes since Aoi Hoshi was played, I was starting to get worried!

Next episode is a time skip. Yay!

Raxious

Looking for a new anime but can't seem to find anything that's interesting except Drifters.

Looking for something with a lot of action, but don't mind the occasional romance either ^^'
I'm pretty up to date, so I don't mind watching an older anime. Anyone got recommendations?

Erin 28-29

Woah, thanks assholes. Just in case someone skipped the previous episode preview, eh?

Next episode is a time skip. Yay!

Yeh I wouldn't be too happy about next episode ;P

Hmm I avoided even that spoiler. I tend to avoid even the title cards, though not as rigorous about those. Guess that proved me right.

phaze

I imagined us running hand in hand along beautiful fields, shittalking and condemning Gargantia alongside E7 all day long. You ruined that dream!!

We can fix that by watching Captain Earth together and shittalking about that ! Though I guess everyone does that so it wouldn't be the same. ;(

Looking for a new anime but can't seem to find anything that's interesting except Drifters.

Looking for something with a lot of action, but don't mind the occasional romance either ^^'
I'm pretty up to date, so I don't mind watching an older anime. Anyone got recommendations?

I'm not sure about "a lot of action" but Katanagatari maybe ?

In terms of just action I'd recommend (as in - these shows are not necessarily particularly good other than that):
Yozakura Quartet + OVAs
Fate Stay/Night: Unlimited Blade Works
Mob Psycho
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Afro Samurai
One Punch Man
Birdy the Mighty Decode
-----

Out of current shows, have you given chance to Bungou Stray Dogs, Jojo, Flip Flappers (though it seems the aesthetic is likely to be a no for you here) ?

Edit: Forgot to mention it but if you're willing to explore new horizons then check out Thunderbolt Fantasy. Genuinely good show from last season.

Kyuur

Finished up watching first episodes of everything. Settled on the following to continue (still on Gundam S1):

Girlish Number
Haikyuu
Euphonium 2
WIXOSS (is this better/worse than previous series? first encounter)
Izetta the Last Witch
Udon World
Kiss Him Not Me?
WWW.WORKING!!
Yuri on Ice

Haikyuu and Euphonium are just fantastic as expected. So glad they're back. Of the new stuff, we've only watched multiple eps of Girlish and Izetta so far. The former is doing a great job of staying relatively grounded which is all it really needs to do for me, looking forward to hopefully some satisfying just desserts for the MC. Izetta had some awesome shit in episode 3. Udon and Kiss are probationary but seem like decent feels/comedy respectively so far.

This version of WORKING is so much more enjoyable than the actual series its crazy. It's great because I really liked the concept, but the cast was awful. Looking forward to it. YoI feels AOTY contender-y in just about every way, great direction so far.

Also..

Cardcaptor Sakura 1

We decided to watch this subbed for the first time (having only watched the dub on YTV as kids) after so many other magic girl animes this season -- and it's fantastic. Nothing remotely comparable -- how can they get the genre so wrong all the time.

We can fix that by watching Captain Earth together and shittalking about that ! Though I guess everyone does that so it wouldn't be the same. ;(

I know literally nobody who likes Captain Earth.

If I had to wager a guess on who does, maybe GoldCrusader. But even that's a stretch since he didn't include it in his list before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom