• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalted

Looking for a new anime but can't seem to find anything that's interesting except Drifters.

Looking for something with a lot of action, but don't mind the occasional romance either ^^'
I'm pretty up to date, so I don't mind watching an older anime. Anyone got recommendations?

The only 2 shows this season apart from Drifters with lots of action that i can remember are Gundam IBO and Izzeta, but as for older shows it's hard to recommend without actually knowing what you already watched.
Maybe check this out:

-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
-Hunter x Hunter (2011)
-Code Geass
-One Punch Man
-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
-Fate Zero
-JoJo
-Hellsing
-Parasyte the maxim
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
-Mob Psycho 100
-Attack on Titan
-Samurai Champloo
-Noragami Aragoto
-Boku no Hero Academia
-Moribito
-Thunderbolt Fantasy

Taruranto

Yeh I wouldn't be too happy about next episode ;P

Ended up taking a sneak peak since I suspected it was going to be a recap, and yeah. Watched in 5 minutes skipping all the flashbacks.

xykzJpt.jpg

At least the ending sequence was pretty good, Kitto tsutaete is a p. good song. I also need to find the non-vocal version of Shizuku (Drop) that played during episode 29, it was pretty sweet.

Qurupeke

Girlish Number 2
I was afraid that the show would just have a good first episode and that would be the end of it, but it actually retains everything that I liked in the premiere, expands the likable cast and continues to be a fun and cynic take on the seiyuu and anime industry. It would be interesting if by the end of the series the anime they make gets canceled and everything is a disaster... But I kind of root for Chitose and the rest of the cast.

I hope Chitose will realize that she has a fried egg on her chest though. At least it's not on her hair...

Taruranto

Trickster #4

We already established this series is trash, the writing is garbage and nonsensical, the characters are whatever, there is already shitons of QUALITY and I actually had to check if this was a Modern Brain Base series.

But I actually want to talk about the character in the wheelchair. In a world with giant robots, robot limbs, immortal people and MGS stealth camo
they decided to give the character without a leg an old-style wheelchair that only he can only move with his hands:
This is grade A+ assholery.

Exalted

Trickster #4
they decided to give the character without a leg an old-style wheelchair that only he can only move with his hands:

Wouldn't surprise me if it would be actually because of his assholish personality, him being to prideful to accept help or any assistance.

Edit : Is Girlish Number an comedy show with gags, or more satirical or parody?

Kyuur

Girlish Number 2

I was afraid that the show would just have a good first episode and that would be the end of it, but it actually retains everything that I liked in the premiere, expands the likable cast and continues to be a fun and cynic take on the seiyuu and anime industry. It would be interesting if by the end of the series the anime they make gets canceled and everything is a disaster... But I kind of root for Chitose and the rest of the cast.

I hope Chitose will realize that she has a fried egg on her chest though. At least it's not on her hair...

I fully expect the first episode of the anime to look like this:

Looking for a new anime but can't seem to find anything that's interesting except Drifters.

Looking for something with a lot of action, but don't mind the occasional romance either ^^'
I'm pretty up to date, so I don't mind watching an older anime. Anyone got recommendations?
My Hero Academia is an amazing superhero show, go watch that!

I would also had
Noragami
Seven deadly sins
Ajin
Knights of Sidonia
I know literally nobody who likes Captain Earth.

If I had to wager a guess on who does, maybe GoldCrusader. But even that's a stretch since he didn't include it in his list before.
Hum hum

I did not dislike it, but it wasn't anything I would recommend as a good mecha show. I liked the mechs and characters design tho.

Finished up watching first episodes of everything. Settled on the following to continue (still on Gundam S1):

Girlish Number
Haikyuu
Euphonium 2
WIXOSS (is this better/worse than previous series? first encounter)
Izetta the Last Witch
Udon World
Kiss Him Not Me?
WWW.WORKING!!
Yuri on Ice

Haikyuu and Euphonium are just fantastic as expected. So glad they're back. Of the new stuff, we've only watched multiple eps of Girlish and Izetta so far. The former is doing a great job of staying relatively grounded which is all it really needs to do for me, looking forward to hopefully some satisfying just desserts for the MC. Izetta had some awesome shit in episode 3. Udon and Kiss are probationary but seem like decent feels/comedy respectively so far.

This version of WORKING is so much more enjoyable than the actual series its crazy. It's great because I really liked the concept, but the cast was awful. Looking forward to it. YoI feels AOTY contender-y in just about every way, great direction so far.

Also..

Cardcaptor Sakura 1

We decided to watch this subbed for the first time (having only watched the dub on YTV as kids) after so many other magic girl animes this season -- and it's fantastic. Nothing remotely comparable -- how can they get the genre so wrong all the time.
Another person watching Cardcaptor Sakura who will probably pass me up as well.

WIXOSS (is this better/worse than previous series? first encounter)
I actually consider these opening episodes stronger than the original series opening episodes and the characters a bit more interesting as well.

Cornbread78

Do you mind a little fanservice?

Fate/Zero
Eureka 7
Full Metal Alchemist

These might be a good place ro start.

Despite its polorizing nature, you might like the first season of Sword Art Online as well.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 28

Halloween madness! Yume's got the best costume, though Koharu was good too. Who the hell is Tamaki, and why was she just thrown in here like we knew she existed? The admins put up a tough fight, but Laura's stupid fish costume turned out to be surprisingly powerful. Mahiru is beast like always, chopping stuff up and in her walking defying all logic. Lily manages to be the unbeatable boss surprisingly. Yume's volleyball skills somehow beating S4 and their army of pumpkin throwers is impressive. But Koharu impresses the most by getting an actual trick in. Poor Asahi. Koharu is getting really good at snagging all three Kasumi siblings. She's been building up talent under our noses the whole time. Poor Ako keeps on taking those L's.

pbayne

Good: Flip Flappers 3

Lol feels like you missed an entire season's worth between episodes.
The creativity with different worlds and creatures reminds me of Space Dandy. Episode itself was jesus a sakuga overload. I loved their hilariously over-elaborate transformation sequence.

Bad: Izetta 4

It takes some skill to take a premise of a witch fighting tanks and make it so boring. I wish this show had a quarter of FlipityFlaps energy. Its very close to a drop for me.
I think it would sort of interesting if Fine was a more manipulative character that was taking advantage of Izetta's naivety but nah.

Ugly: Danganronpa Mahou Shoujo Thing 4

Maybe ugly is a bit mean. Well some of the character designs are pretty ugly. But overall actually a bit better than i thought it was going to be.
Lol it has that Akame ga Kill problem of "if someone is getting backstory, 100% they're gonna die soon."

Girlish Number is more truth than satire.

I approve of its "fuck those light novels" stance.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans S1 - 01

With the second season already airing I might as well watch the first as I've heard generally positive things about it, I never watched a Gundam show, and it's been really long since I've watched a good mecha.

This episode was hype as fuck, animation top-notch, no character came off as an annoying trope, and music was nice. Hope it lasts throughout the series.

You picked a really good jumping on point. It's easily one of the better Alternate Universe Gundams. Dunno what I'd recommend continuing on with afterwards though. Maybe one of the side story U.C. Gundam since the original doesn't exactly have the same sort of tone really.

Much praise for Kuromukuro, maybe I should watch it after I get around to Grimgar and Tanaka-kun.

Last non-airing mecha I watched is Gunbuster I think lol.

Oh it's really good definitely. I think it's a stronger show than either of the two you listed as watching before it (not that those are bad).

You picked a really good jumping on point. It's easily one of the better Alternate Universe Gundams. Dunno what I'd recommend continuing on with afterwards though. Maybe one of the side story U.C. Gundam since the original doesn't exactly have the same sort of tone really.

He could always go with G Gundam since that's the best Gundam show ever made.

I'm so excited as is my Wife (We keep joking that she's basically Aqua) it was our favorite comedy of the year.

Maidragon Key Visual

Director: Yasuhiro Takemoto
Series Composition: Yuka Yamada
Character Designer: Miku Kadowaki

This isn't Kadowaki's best work.

Well. This looks to be something.

He could always go with G Gundam since that's the best Gundam show ever made.

Lol he could, dunno that the tone really jives with IBO. Man that'd be quite a leap between the two lol. Just got done last month watching through the whole thing with my Wife (I think I'd only previously seen half way through.) She actually ended up loving it so much that we had to purchase a Cobra Gundam figure for her (She's from India so she really took to the rather, uh, interesting and vaguely racist, interpretation of its Fighter and Gundam.)

Sterok

Girlish Number 3

This entire production still screams disaster. The guys running everything can't bring people together, the original author may as well not be there, and the lead heroine is not ready for a lead role. Well at least Chitose figured out how to deliver what the producer wants. Which doesn't make it good acting, but if the guys calling the shots call it good, what are you going to do? It's their fault Chitose is the lead.

No, no no no no.

Do you know who Yasuhiro Imagawa is? This is a man who gets what Super Robots are, and what they should be.

His genius that was G Gundam is something that cannot ever be topped. He's the guy who said: "You know what? I just want a Ninja representing Germany in my story. No I don't care that that that's fake I think it's awesome."

Don't believe me? Here's an actual quote by him:

Does Gundam SEED have a German Ninja robot pilot? WELL THEN BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME.

Oh it's really good definitely. I think it's a stronger show than either of the two you listed as watching before it (not that those are bad).
You could always just recommend the gundam stuff that easier to access. Daisuki has SEED and Turn A that are pretty good. GBF and TRY are also on YouTube.

But the closest Gundam I watched thats close to IBO in tone is Thunderbolt.

No need to prioritise this work, from what I've read...

I dunno that it's all that bad. I think it was pretty good for what it was and offered a new take on the 'trapped in a fantasy world' shtick. It just-- doesn't really have an ending, or enough of one to make it feel okay that it just sort of ends there.

Gundam Seed? No. No. Oh no. No no no. No. We can no longer hope to be friends.

I jest. But I don't agree that Seed is the best Gundam ever at all lol

Watch G Gundam, GBF S1, War in the Pocket and 08th MS Squad and then call it a day.

If you're cool watch the original TV series too

What? No 0083? =(

You could always just recommend the gundam stuff that easier to access. Daisuki has SEED and Turn A that are pretty good. GBF and TRY are also on YouTube.

But the closest Gundam I watched thats close to IBO in tone is Thunderbolt.

That's true. If we're talking purely legal, or easily streaming yeah those might be the easiest ways to get more Gundam. Then again, if they don't mind dropping a bit of cash Gundam The Origin is really really good.

And I guess I can understand saying Thunderbolt is close, I feel like that's more brutally dark than oppressively depressing.

jgminto

Trickster #4

We already established this series is trash, the writing is garbage and nonsensical, the characters are whatever, there is already shitons of QUALITY and I actually had to check if this was a Modern Brain Base series.

But I actually want to talk about the character in the wheelchair. In a world with giant robots, robot limbs, immortal people and MGS stealth camo

I'm pretty sure he had a robot leg in the first episode, they just couldn't be bothered to get him a new one.

Girlish Number 03

Took long enough for someone to drop that bomb on her. Her acting was so bad I'm surprised one of the other girls didn't bitch out and tell her off about it. This aside from the fact it looks like the anime they are making is about to fucking bomb worse than Factale.

I'm pretty sure he had a robot leg in the first episode, they just couldn't be bothered to get him a new one.

I guess it's supposed to be expensive or something maybe?

Anyway:

Kiss Him, Not Me Episode 3
Okayish. I mean, it's hard for me to like half the guys romancing her, and even though she doesn't really acknowledge how shallow they are, it doesn't take the sting away of how rude and disgusting they were to her before her weight loss.

Izetta The Last Witch Episode 4
I can see why that groping got quite a bit of criticism over the weekend. Was so uncalled for and out of no where. Didn't really bother me, but just didn't jive with the tone of the show at all. I guess situations like this make me wonder how much the Otaku audience they're pandering too actually expects and loves stuff like this. It's so out of place and so infrequent so far that I can't imagine an audience craving this kind of fan service would really watch the show for a messily 1 minute sequence all the way back in episode four.

Makes me wonder if it hadn't been included literally no one would've been disappointed.

Magical Girl Raising Project Episode 4
It's a slow build but I'm liking where this is going and feeling more and more like the accusations of being a "Madoka Knock Off" are a bit unfair. I do wish it'd speed things up a little though. That initial tease seems a long way off at this rate.

March Comes In Like a Lion Episode 3
Better than the last episode I think. I still feel like March has a hard time balancing its comedy and much darker themes. I wish it'd still let the darkness breath a little more than constantly shutting it down with comedy.

Gakuen Handsome Episode 4
I still don't really know what I'm watching. Even my Wife, who was dying for this show, is raising eyebrows.

Celcius

°Temp. member
As long as we can all agree that Gundam Build Fighters is the best gundam series
but if you don't count that series, Iron Blooded Orphans is the best

That's true. If we're talking purely legal, or easily streaming yeah those might be the easiest ways to get more Gundam. Then again, if they don't mind dropping a bit of cash Gundam The Origin is really really good.

And I guess I can understand saying Thunderbolt is close, I feel like that's more brutally dark than oppressively depressing.
I really need to watch Origin.

Once Mid terms are over I'll try to watch Origins alongside Victory.
Maybe I'll watch that some day but Wing has killed nearly all the drive I had to watch Gundam series.
It's a shame you disliked Wing as much as you did, but I really think you should Endless waltz a shot. I truly believe that it's one of the best Gundam stuff out there. The visuals are outstanding and that city mecha fight...ummmmmmmm so good.

jman2050

Girlish Number 3

In which it's revealed that acting in anime requires no actual skill or craft, just the ability to spout whatever cliches the director is pining for!

At least those incredibly low standards gives Chitose a platform to thrive!

Cornbread78

Wolf's Rain ep.22

The beginning of the episode was some messed up stuff and I thought he was going to shut up the girl with a bullet to the head until old man stepped in. Then, holy hype!!! I'm not sure why, but the walrus battle was friggen dope as hell and my favorite scene of the show so far!

The day Tobea becaume a man, lol.

pbayne

0083 is worse than Wing.

Watch 0080.

Nods approval.
Wing's bad but at least there's some enjoyment to be gotten out its campy scholkiness.
Aside from having really well animated mechs, 0083 is easily the most forgettable Gundam i've seen. Its characters are charisma voids.

Lain

Cross Ange 10-21

So, lots of stuff happened and yet nothing really changed, apart from the death toll getting higher. People are still quick to throw their old friends away, making dumb decisions supported by dumb logic and.. damnit Momoka. Why it had to be you? You were probably the only light in the darkness that is this show. Why couldn't it be just Tusk? His role throughout the show has been to fall face-first into Ange's (most times nude) crotch (speaking of the silly fanservice that permeates this whole show, where was Ange hiding her ring throughout the torture? Because that little pink container had to come out of somewhere, especially given the expression she makes as she brings it out... but given the impression I got of her mouth getting filled by Tusk's dick when she accidentally fell on his crotch, I guess everything is possible here).

Nods approval.
Wing's bad but at least there's some enjoyment to be gotten out its campy scholkiness.
Aside from having really well animated mechs, 0083 is easily the most forgettable Gundam i've seen. Its characters are charisma voids.

I don't, I can't-- what? 0083 is great, it does an awesome job of showing the tole war takes, the damage of relationships, the splintering of allegiances, conspiracies, and sets up Zeta Gundam by filling in the events between 0079 and 0087. I think it's one of the better "regular people, no new-type shenanigans" and their place within the world of Gundam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom