• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

you forgot when Reina says "But, I don't hate pain" and Kumiko responds "That's kinda hot"

lol, I just can't right now. Today is reporting day and I'm losing my mind.....

been at it of 5 hours already and only gotten to the letter "G."

Things are going to get violent again.

without a doubt.

Imagine if Kumiko decided to go after Shuuichi instead and break the mold of the childhood friend being dead before it starts?

This place would explode for sure!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
lol, I just can't right now. Today is reporting day and I'm losing my mind.....

been at it of 5 hours already and only gotten to the letter "G."

without a doubt.

Imagine if Kumiko decided to go after Shuuichi instead and break the mold of the childhood friend being dead before it starts?

This place would explode for sure!

I think you would be hard pressed to find people who remember whom Shuuichi is as I think he had 15 minutes of screen time in Season 1?

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when a legitimately good show becomes a joke in here.

Reading the "Yuri V.S. Not-Yuri" debates in here wasn't exactly fun. I'm not even watching Euphonium but I'm not going to be happy if I see this thread filled to the brim with this pointless argument again.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when a legitimately good show becomes a joke in here.

Reading the "Yuri V.S. Not-Yuri" debates in here wasn't exactly fun. I'm not even watching Euphonium but I'm not going to be happy if I see this thread filled to the brim with this pointless argument again.

Well, I think we can levy the blame at the show itself for stoking the fire as those gifs last page can attest to. The show positioned itself so well that you kind of forget that the actual focus is on this being a concert band anime, which is kind of insane.

phaze

How do you know it's pointless if you haven't watched the show.
picturen6p3j.png

--------

Man Soul Eater's openings are pretty dope. Not that much of a fan of the song in the first one but that background animation. And them transitions+action+song in the second one. Almost a complete package that one. Need to give the show a shot again.

TUSR

Banned
The interactions between Kumiko and Shuuichi were genuinely different than any of the other cast.

If you forgot who he was, even on his limited screen time... ???

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The interactions between Kumiko and Shuuichi were genuinely different than any of the other cast.

If you forgot who he was, even on his limited screen time... ???

I do sort of recall that they were kind of on the outs due to some event that I don't think I got mentioned last season, so there was that I guess.

Qurupeke

...And the show hasn't even started yet.

Shuuichi was good though. The most forgettable character was that girl named after a rock.

Cornbread78

I think you would be hard pressed to find people who remember whom Shuuichi is as I think he had 15 minutes of screen time in Season 1?

True, he is not the protag, however, I remember him having a couple good scenes with Kumiko towards towards the end of everything, with the implications that he is interested in her. But this breakdown I saw on tumblr explains how that works the best:

https://www.tumblr.com/search/hibike!+euphonium
I LOL'd hard at this one.

I wasn't watching it as it aired either, but I'll be damned if I didn't have fun sitting back watching the bit(h fest about it, lol.

Nothing wrong with a little friendly debate to keep the thread lively...

in other-words:

tumblr_n4prx9lHYM1snsjmyo2_r1_250.gif

Be Prepared for it

Well, I think we can levy the blame at the show itself for stoking the fire as those gifs last page can attest to. The show positioned itself so well that you kind of forget that the actual focus is on this being a concert band anime, which is kind of insane.

Girls in anime acting all cutesy and intimate with each other is nothing new. You can look at it however you want, but actually expecting two girls in an anime to go full lesbian and hook up is asking for disappointment, as that almost never happens. That's for the doujins and fanfics.

Making a huge deal out of this one thing undermines everything else the show has going for it.

How do you know it's pointless if you're haven't watched the show.
picturen6p3j.png

I know enough given other impressions of the show to know that the Yuri V.S. Not-Yuri debacle was infuriating enough for other people who focus on things other than the Kumiko and Reina stuff.

Cornbread78

Girls in anime acting all cutesy and intimate with each other is nothing new. You can look at it however you want, but actually expecting two girls in an anime to go full lesbian and hook up is asking for disappointment, as that almost never happens. That's for the doujins and fanfics.

Making a huge deal out of this one thing undermines everything else the show has going for it.
I know enough given other impressions of the show to know that the Yuri V.S. Not-Yuri debacle was infuriating enough for other people who focus on things other than the Kumiko and Reina stuff.

I think Shard's statement below is more representative of what the arguments were about. The show never took a step towards shipping the two characters but danced on that line constantly and yes, that did detract from the story at hand. The sriteres did it to themselves in that regard. However, at the end of the day, it definitely got the attention they wanted from writing those scenes the way they did.

It was supposed to be Reina x Sensei and Kumiko x Shuuichi, however...... they ended up presenting/teasing Kumiko x Reina instead...

Well, in this case, it isn't just shipping as I recall a lot of the raging arguments were over "yuribaiting" which is genuinely problematic.

Exactly...

phaze

A look at Sayo Yamamoto, director of "Yuri!! on Ice"

I think this article might be something Jarmel was asking about last night on directors. Interesting use of coloring such as the rock n' roll episode of Space Dandy.

0b2ddb5bcb7b86d8bd177b1ead3cc0ca1475400687_full.jpg

Oh shit, Texhnolyze ED, Arakawa openings, psycho-pass, + some of the most deranged Ergo Proxy eps ? Respect

People being fed up with the extent to which the issue dominated the discussion does not mean the crux of it was a pointless.

Talking about Sound Euphonium as if the focus was exclusively on girls falling over each other and music was unimportant is such a gross mischaracterization of the show that I have a hard time believing that people are doing it in good faith and not acting out some preexisting vendetta against KyoAni.

Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume 01

Overall is pretty good, but i think it missed something...oh yeah, it's table tennis show, it's missing a Chinese character lol.

blurr

The link I shared earlier mentions that Euphonium is very close to the source material in its tone and interactions between girls. It wasn't my intention to spark a debate as such. I agree with Nintendoman58 here, there's more to the show than that but there's nothing wrong with some playful discussion on that aspect of the show although we can get carried away.

Cornbread78

The link I shared earlier mentions that Euphonium is very close to the source material in its tone and interactions between girls. It wasn't my intention to spark a debate as such. I agree with Nintendoman58 here, there's more to the show than that but there's nothing wrong with some playful discussion on that aspect of the show although we can get carried away.

No doubt. I only laugh about it because I watched it later because everyone said it was a good show with excellent character interactions. It was after the storm had passed though, lol. I only sat back and watched the discussion/angst/anger/excitement as the show was airing.

If nothing else, they created a show that could be discussed on multiple fronts rather than just a H.S music/band drama. It should be interesting if they continue to dance on that tightrope this season, jump full in or move away from it. Either way, they got some extra attention from it last year and people can't wait for this season to start, regardless if you want, yuri, want drama or watch a very detailed anime about a concert band as Thorax has clearly outlined for everyone.

Line_HTX

I don't see why their interactions are problematic. They know that their goal is to earn the right to compete at Nationals, and they fucking made it.

Cornbread78

I don't see why their interactions are problematic. They know that their goal is to earn the right to compete at Nationals, and they fucking made it.

The argument was always why did they have to take a good emotional moment between friends and turn it into yuri baiting; that was always the crux of the arguments.

Those scenes could have been presented without the defined sexually suggestive intimate keys. On a baiting scale, they were directed as a 10/10.

I would have rather them continue the narrative of them becoming really close friends and supporting/pushing each other through the hard times rather than dance the yuri line.

Exalted

Trickster episode 1

Well this was not that bad, the first episode was at least interesting enough that i will give it a few more episodes. The detective parts were great and the supernatural was ok for now. The music was nice, fitting for a mystery show. Quite much more darker that i anticipated, and a bit edgy. Will see how the show handles a suicidal MC, can't really be worse than in Bungou Stray Dogs.

The argument was always why did they have to take a good emotional moment between friends and turn it into yuri baiting; that was always the crux of the arguments.

Those scenes could have been presented without the defined sexually suggestive intimate keys. On a baiting scale, they were directed as a 10/10.

I would have rather them continue the narrative of them becoming really close friends and supporting/pushing each other through the hard times rather than dance the yuri line.

But isn't that exactly what happened? From what I've heard about it anyway.

Also, lots of shows have the characters dance around the "yuri line" as you describe it. Like I said, two female characters acting intimately with each other in anime is nothing new.

It's different in this case because it apparently happened enough in Euphonium for it to spark a debacle on whether the two of them were lesbians or not, getting people mad at the show and at each other for no reason, completely ignoring everything else about the show.

It just gets me mad that this is now the primary focus of discussion of the show when people who like the show like Thoraxes does are barely found in here. It's a joke now.

Cornbread78

But isn't that exactly what happened? From what I've heard about it anyway.

Also, lots of shows have the characters dance around the "yuri line" as you describe it. Like I said, two female characters acting intimately with each other in anime is nothing new.

It's different in this case because it apparently happened enough in Euphonium for it to spark a debacle on whether the two of them were lesbians or not, getting people mad at the show and at each other for no reason, completely ignoring everything else about the show.

It just gets me mad that this is now the primary focus of discussion of the show when people who like the show like Thoraxes does are barely found in here. It's a joke now.

They could have done it much better without this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=218921342&postcount=799

that is dancing on the line (on purpose) There is much more appropriate body language that could have/should have been used.

Nobody complained about the yuri in Love Live Sunshine! You can go 90% yuri but once you make a yuri series it doesn't sell and nobody translates the manga

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Oh shit, Texhnolyze ED, Arakawa openings, psycho-pass, + some of the most deranged Ergo Proxy eps ? Respect .
Still...it's probably more apt to look at a project she led like Fujiko Mine and be wary. I would actually be exceptionally concerned about how she interprets relationships between men based on her history.

They could have done it much better without this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=218921342&postcount=799

that is dancing on the line (on purpose) There is much more appropriate body language that could have/should have been used.

Dancing the line or not, it's not something to get mad at or criticize the show over. It's a waste of time to get so worked up over it. The two are good friends, they can do that stuff and still be good friends.

They're not kissing, they're not sleeping in the same bed cradling each other, they're not fantasizing over each other, they're just acting like two close friends.

You want them to hook up? Go to fanfiction.net or read a doujin. You'll find tons of stories that you can label as canon in your head.

Don't waste your time complaining that the show dared to have Reina touch Kumiko's nose and lips and criticize the show for having "yuri-bait".

phaze

Still...it's probably more apt to look at a project she led like Fujiko Mine and be wary. I would actually be exceptionally concerned about how she interprets relationships between men based on her history.

For sure but I can only go by what I've experienced from her output which covers neither of her TV shows. Out of curiosity, if you could shortly expand, what was wrong with her interpretations ? (I know nothing about Fujiko Mine other than that it's thoroughly hated.)

This, err, this shows about music, right?

“Everything in the world is about sex except sex"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom