• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crunchyroll is doing this http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-976961/crunchyroll-presents-anime-awards-2016

It's fan voted, so I'm preparing myself to see Mob Psycho get robbed numerous times

I don't like how the nominations have a small number of shows (Erased, Kabaneri, My Hero Academy, Yuri on Ice, and a couple others) dominate nearly all the categories except for Best Comedy. It feels really restrictive, and in a way that doesn't reflect reality. (Yuri on Ice for Best Animation? Really?) I have to question the judgement of this independent panel of industry experts. Though I suppose since this is just a popularity contest in the end, Yuri on Ice will probably sweep every award it's eligible for.

Still, it could be worse. Mob Psycho 100 is up for some deserving awards and I'm glad to see Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu up for so many as well.

zulux21

AoTY: Mob
HotY: Mob or Deku
VotY: Tomura by elimination
Best Boy: Reigen
Best Girl: Nico or Uraraka
Fight ceneS: Mob
Animation: Mob
Heartwarming: Erased, maybe Flying Witch
DotY: Rakugou
Couple: Erased is not a couple, Kiznaiver by elimination
Comedy: KEIJO IS SPORTS. Luluco by elimination
Action: Mob
Opening: Mob
Ending: Luluco

But yeah, not a lot of variety, lots of weird choices.

for me it would be
AoTY: Re:zero
HotY: Mob or Deku
VotY: Tomura by elimination
Best Boy: YURI KATSUKI
Best Girl: REM
Fight ceneS: Mob
Animation: YURI!!! ON ICE
Heartwarming: KAYO'S FIRST HOMECOOKED MEAL
DotY: ERASED by elimination (I still need to watch Rakugou)
Couple: YURI & VICTOR by elimination
Comedy: KONOSUBA by elimination
Opening: YURI!!! ON ICE
Ending: Pass, none of those endings really interest me :p

Best ending is yuri on ice it's not even a contest.

Second best is Mob.

I can't remember any of the endings off the top of my head :p

Thud

Wheres Banagher? Ace? Ranta? Bakugou? Tsukishima?

C0JVYDDXAAANFcW.jpg:small

No kaidou as well.

Judgement knight of

Cornbread78

I can't vite on Crunchy because it tells me I need to create a profile name, but there is no option to do so.... hmmm

Thunderbolt isn't anime, lol.. you guys...

Aki-at

AoTY: Mob Psycho 100 but why the hell isn't JoJo here but Kabaneri, Joker Game and My Hero Academia?
HotY: Mob or Sotaru from Erased but where's Josuke?
VotY: Yoshikage Kira, finally something for JoJo!
Best Boy: Reigen but Okuyasu deserves a mention.
Best Girl: Nico I guess but there were girls I liked more like Mary from Grimgar.
Fight Scene: Mob Psycho 100
Animation: Mob Psycho 100
Heartwarming: Erased but this reminds me I never finished Flying Witch now.
DotY: Erased.
Couple: All these couples suck (Well I haven't watch Yuri so maybe that's a good one)
Comedy: What the hell not even one mention of Tanaka-kun? Can't even vote for any of these.
Action: Man again with the JoJo snub. Mob Psycho 100 deserves it though.
Opening: Mob Psycho 100 but Occultic; Nine and JoJo should get a mention.
Ending: Mob Psycho 100 but Occultic; Nine should get a mention.

JoJo was robbed, FUCKING DAYLIGHT ROBBERY!!!11!!1

jonjonaug

AoTY: Rakugo
HotY: Mob
VotY: Kira
Best Boy: Yuri
Best Girl: None of these candidates
Fight Scene: Mob
Animation: Mob
Heartwarming: Yuri on Ice
DotY: Rakugo
Couple: Yuri x Victor
Comedy: Luluco
Opening: Mob
Ending: Yuri on Ice

Basically this is the Mob/Rakugo/YoI awards for me. Luluco and Jojo I think are my other top 2 out of 5 this year if Thunderbolt is excluded too.

zulux21

AoTY: Mob Psycho 100 but why the hell isn't JoJo here but Kabaneri, Joker Game and My Hero Academia?
JoJo was robbed, FUCKING DAYLIGHT ROBBERY!!!11!!1

was there any sequel stuff included?

it seemed like every pick was for a new series not a sequel.

Mailbox

I skipped wayyyy too much anime this year, so I don't feel like doing "of the year" sentiments. Slowly working through my 2016 backlog. Speaking of:

HAIKYU!! 3rd Season[END]:

Despite obviously being a conclusion point is basically the main arc up until this point, it wasn't like the 3rd season of Kuroko's Basketball where it was this fully climactic and overly done battle, or like Yowamushi pedal's grand road season where it was just ass pull after ass pull. No this felt... oddly normal. It was a 10 episode single match that never felt drawn out or too long or even too crazy. It was grounded much more than I anticipated. The opposing side is defined well here, though maybe not as well as other teams in the series, and the star of this season wasn't even the leads, but instead Tsukki.

I honestly liked it, even if it just felt like most other matches in the series: the main cast against an opponent they need to adapt and fight against that is out of their league (in this case, mostly dealing with a single opponent from the opposing team, but the others on that team aren't slouches). As a conclusion battle, it felt very good but one thing did bother me. This was the end of so many arcs: the 3rd years finally make Karasuno great again, Hinata and Kageyama win against their final goal, Tsukki finally learns to love volleyball, Yet despite this the post credits scene ends on a wet fart with a full on tease for what's coming next. I'm reminded of Chihayafuru season 2's ending where Taichi just straight up vanishes to "get better" and Chihaya finally gets her feelings straightened out. Its all a tease for a future that may never happen, and that fucking sucks (though Haikyuu doesn't have to worry about horrible sales). Ending it off with the teacher telling Kageyama about how he was scouted for a prestigious training camp was the weakest ending this massive 3 season meta-arc could have had, and yet here it is.

That aside, it was great. I know I've been frustrated by the massive use of canned animations this show has had over the seasons, but overall its still an amazing series.

Jex

Sorry but the powers of the shadow council only reach as far as the borders of GAF.
Nah its too late. Team Rem have been waiting for this moment, we will not be denied. The gaf anime illuminati have no power here.
I don't like the implication that there is some kind of anti-democratic, elitist ruling faction that could possibly impugn on the sanctity of Anime of the Year voting process.
Hero Aca, Mob, Kabaneri, are over represented in their polls. Kiznaiver being in several categories is really baffling too.

No Haikyuu representation or game anime representation is very offensive. Why cant CR just stream anime?
Wasn't it partly funded by CR?

Jesus damn at their list of contenders for AOTY. Like... Kabaneri? Joker Game?? Erased??? Then there is MHA, Re:Zero and Yuri, which I mean... AOTY material they aren't. Only Rakugo and Mob deserve the nominations really. And of the two, it isn't even a contest, Mob would take the crown for me.

But yeah now I see this is just a popularity contest and that is why these shows even got on there. I liked Re:Zero as much as the next door neighbor, but come on, it ain't no AOTY.

True I forgot about Thunderbolt. Seeing how I only have 4 episodes of Westworld left, maybe I'll transition into that while I am still on my holiday break.

True I forgot about Thunderbolt. Seeing how I only have 4 episodes of Westworld left, maybe I'll transition into that while I am still on my holiday break.

Thunderbolt is wonderful and fantastic and all, but I'd also like to see you transition into a certain super robot mecha show you started earlier in the summer and stopped three episodes in... :p

Jex

Looking at this discussion, I'm really glad that NeoGAF Anime of the Year voting is so basic by comparison.

Now, don't get me wrong. If you're looking to drive webtraffic and generate 'discussion', then allowing people to vote on and then argue about a bunch of fluff categories is greet. I mean, just look at the amount of discussion in this thread right now! But does it really serve any wider purpose? I don't think so.

I know this is a bit boring, but to my mind, these kinds of votes serve as more than a basic popularity contest. They're a record of all the best anime that came out in a single year, and therefore a tool to help others find good stuff to watch. To that end, a simple question of "what are the best shows this year?" is very effective, in that it actually provides useful information to someone who doesn't keep up with any. "Best couple" or "Most Heartwarming" doesn't provide any useful information and merely dilutes the effectiveness of the entire process.

Jex

Don't sleep on Thunderbolt Fantasy. Actually, don't even bother sleeping until you've started on it - it's a far better series than Westworld.

Really.

Qurupeke

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 3-4

I really liked the scene with the full theater after the war. The episode was a nice transition to the pair's adult lives and a change of tone. More importantly though, I'm very surprised that Yakumo turned out to be someone I'll be rooting for, seemed to be a pretty standard cool type, but he is actually pretty flawed and very likable. Realizing his leg would impair him once again must have been really devastating for him.

Episode 4 finally gives another full rakugo performance and it seems like the main story has started. Miyokichi seems like the perfect femme fatale, things are getting rather interesting.

I know this is a bit boring, but to my mind, these kinds of votes serve as more than a basic popularity contest. They're a record of all the best anime that came out in a single year, and therefore a tool to help others find good stuff to watch. To that end, a simple question of "what are the best shows this year?" is very effective, in that it actually provides useful information to someone who doesn't keep up with any. "Best couple" or "Most Heartwarming" doesn't provide any useful information and merely dilutes the effectiveness of the entire process.

The MTV Movie Awards of Anime Awards

Cornbread78

You're going to be surprised when it ranks so highly on this year's AOTY list.

I don't doubt it's quality or popularity one bit, but is it anime thus, included in AOTY voting? Never was settled yet...

Jesus damn at their list of contenders for AOTY. Like... Kabaneri? Joker Game?? Erased??? Then there is MHA, Re:Zero and Yuri, which I mean... AOTY material they aren't. Only Rakugo and Mob deserve the nominations really. And of the two, it isn't even a contest, Mob would take the crown for me.

But yeah now I see this is just a popularity contest and that is why these shows even got on there. I liked Re:Zero as much as the next door neighbor, but come on, it ain't no AOTY.

Well, outside of here Erased was very, VERY popular with anime fans. Same with Re;Zero, although reception was better for that here.. If Mob isn't on the list then that is a clear mistake...

Looking at this discussion, I'm really glad that NeoGAF Anime of the Year voting is so basic by comparison.

Now, don't get me wrong. If you're looking to drive webtraffic and generate 'discussion', then allowing people to vote on and then argue about a bunch of fluff categories is greet. I mean, just look at the amount of discussion in this thread right now! But does it really serve any wider purpose? I don't think so.

Well, these awards are pretty transparently about promoting the business interests of Crunchyroll and its partners through brand engagement, not about making any artistic judgments. As I saw someone else say, these are more like video game awards than film awards.

Narag

I don't doubt it's quality or popularity one bit, but is it anime thus, included in AOTY voting? Never was settled yet...

Actually, if I were to be completely honest, Thunderbolt Fantasy does not fall within any reasonable definition of animation. The reason is that it is not a stop motion production. Animation as a process, regardless of the type of animation, is defined by the frame-step nature of the production. There has to be frames of animation for it to be an animation. Thunderbolt Fantasy is a video recording, and falls under live action. It just isn't recording people.

BUT. For the purpose of AOTY, "anime" is defined as "something exceptional and precious enough that the esteemed members of the AnimeGAF thread would deem worthwhile to discuss in some form." So yes, Thunderbolt Fantasy is absolutely anime.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=219813197&postcount=2670

Ascheroth

I swear this is like the 13th time you bring this up, lol.

Admit it, you're just jealous because it will rank higher than your favorite anime of the year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom