• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Keijo! 1
tumblr_inline_nuhmx4vu1I1qj09hl_500.png
I lost it when I heard the sound effects for the action.

Quasar

Flip Flappers 1 - Well that was a thing I watched. How unusual. Pretty unique names in Cocona and Papika. Papika is rather genki.

All in favour of anime with flying via surfboard.

Flip Flappers 1

The second half was certainly visually striking, and I enjoyed the directing throughout, but it felt like two episodes squeezed into one. The first half does a good job setting up Cocona as a person, her sense of isolation, her anxiety over the future. Then the second half happens, and it felt like I missed a time skip or something. Cocona and Papika start interacting like they've known each other. Then the ending rolls around, and Cocona goes back to her normal kinda distant self. When I look at it piece by piece, it's pretty good, but as a whole, it didn't work for me.

Conan-san

Keijo! 1
I honestly don't know what's the most gaulling about this; the fact that it exists as a concept, the fact that there seems to be actaul chrography going into the "Fights" or there seems to be a budget going.

We live in a world where this happened by Xebec's hand and we still don't have a Nadesico 2

Cornbread78

There's also various other good and bad endings. My favorite is the one where Makoto breaks it off with Kotonoha with Sekai standing beside him, and Kotonoha ruins their relationship by jumping off of a building headfirst into the pavement directly in front of them (link, skip to about 3:15 for the good part, gore warning). There's also a harem end where both Kotonoha and Sekai end up pregnant and are super happy about this so uh, yeah.

Lololololol... those endings. The anime's ending is still better, lol.

Szadek

Monster - Ep. 51
It's really cool how everyone wants to help Tenma.
I'm curious how he is going to get out this situation.

AnimeGAF, anybody here got any recommendations for manga series that might not have been adapted to an anime or released outside of Japan and that are very character-focused? I'm talking stuff such as Kokoro Connect or the Monogatari series, since I'd really like to get me some more raw manga for learning more Japanese while enjoying a good story, but don't know a thing about manga.

I have a few

-Please Save My Earth
-Homunculus
-The Music of Marie
-Ran and the Gray World
-Number 5
-Helter Skelter
-Blade of the Immortal

They are mostly seinen/josei so the Japanese will be hard, I imagine.

Crocodile

Looked through the past few pages and I barely saw any discussion on the following so I figure I should bring them up (or at least draw more attention to them):

A) Returning staff and VA list for LWA TV series is revealed. Premiers in January.

Returning VA list:

Megumi Han as Atsuko "Akko" Kagari
Fumiko Orikasa as Lotte Yanson
Michiyo Murase as Sucy Manbavaran
Yōko Hikasa as Diana Cavendish
Arisa Shida as Amanda O'Neill
Rie Murakawa as Constanze von Braunschbank Albrechtsberger

Yoh Yoshinari obv comes back as director and original character designer. Michiru Shimada, did script for LWA2: Enchanted Parade is handling series composition.

B) LeSean Thomas and Crunchyroll team up for Children of Ether coming to Crunchyroll sometime next year.

CuHPyQmWgAEV2y3.jpg

Project Writer is Nicholas Thurkettle and main Animation Studio is Yapiko Animation (who worked on the Garo movie).

Hiroshi Shimizu (Michiko & Hatchin character designer and chief animation director) and Mitsuo Iso (this dude has been MIA for a while no? He directed Den-noh Coil) are also involved with the project.

No debut this season has really grabbed me so far. Granted, that means some of the shows I'm so-so could improve.

Hoping March Comes in like a Lion is good, since people seem excited for it.
I have to give it to IBO 2 so far. Euphonium was excellent as well. Izetta may be a drop depending on how I feel about it this week. That's all that I have currently watched, but I am very excited for March Comes in like a Lion too.

JulianImp

I have a few

-Please Save My Earth
-Homunculus
-The Music of Marie
-Ran and the Gray World
-Number 5
-Helter Skelter
-Blade of the Immortal

They are mostly seinen/josei so the Japanese will be hard, I imagine.

Thanks a lot!

I've already read through most of the Kokoro Connect LNs (except for Asu part 2 and the short story compilations) and Kizumonogatari, and am getting started with Owari (下). I'm still at a point where I get about 50% of the kanji (mostly common ones), so I'm obviously missing out on some stuff, but I can get what's going on almost all the time.

Reading manga should probably be easier than LNs, since the drawings will help me understand what's going on better even when I can't read some of the kanji, and manga tend to use furigana more often, which is perfect for looking words up on JED or whatever without having to do a tedious kanji searches by radical (which I still suck at).

Guess I'll be checking those series out and look their publishers up so that I can try and find them in Book Offs without having to ask clerks around, which feels kind of wrong since they're always doing something, and stop doing it altogether just to help you look for some random book.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
AnimeGAF, anybody here got any recommendations for manga series that might not have been adapted to an anime or released outside of Japan and that are very character-focused? I'm talking stuff such as Kokoro Connect or the Monogatari series, since I'd really like to get me some more raw manga for learning more Japanese while enjoying a good story, but don't know a thing about manga.

Ideally, I'd like to pick up a series that isn't overly long and isn't old enough to give me trouble spotting its volumes at various Book Offs. New series that are still being printed would be okay, as long as they aren't still new enough that I'd be getting a volume or two at best.

I almost picked up Re:Life at a Book Off until I began wondering which manga volume I should begin on to follow up on whatever happens after the final anime episode, but the internet wasn't helpful since everyone kept referencing the web manga chapter numbers, which coupled with that Book Off having those manga wrapped meant I had no way to know which ones to get, so I ended up postponing it.

Tetsugaku letra
Helck
Shima Kosaku series
Spirit Circle
Shinya Shokudo

Keijo! 1

I remember reading the manga of this a few years back, just kind of dropped it for some reason, and after watching the first episode, I'm even more confused as to why.

Cornbread78

Keijo! 1

I remember reading the manga of this a few years back, just kind of dropped it for some reason, and after watching the first episode, I'm even more confused as to why.

Probably because it's the stupidest thing you've ever read/watched in your life, lol.

However, it is pure junk food entertainment and draws you in for that same damn reason, lol.

Exalted

Wouldn't it be better to make threads for shows after they air ( first episode), and not before , to see which ones warrant an OT, and to not end up with lots of dead threads ?

Cornbread78

Wouldn't it be better to make threads for shows after they air ( first episode), and not before , to see which ones warrant an OT, and to not end up with lots of dead threads ?

Not always because of shows like Re;Zero, nobody ended up making one in the end., but it definitely could have used one. The OT's open discussion to the NeoGAF community as a whole rather than just discussion here, which "most" NeoGAF member's don't venture into the community thread to chat about it.

It's a tough because some click and some don't, if she show bombs like ReWrite, which had potential, ten it is wasted time, but if it's good, then it provides a good focused discussion area. I only did a few shows with good source material or have had a lot of interest in them. If they end up sucking, then the thread will just die on it's on *shoulder shrug*

I'll just leave it at that..... I don't mind putting them together in downtime between calls, emails, etc..

Narag

Typically, yeah. Especially if they're untested properties.

Cornbread78

Typically, yeah. Especially if they're untested properties.

Meanies.

4d7gtb6.gif

Cornbread just likes making threads.

True; it might a community involvement quirk; a residual affect of my work habits spilling out and trying to get as many people engaged as possible. It's why I always check to see if others will be doing things; not for personal gratification, but for engagement with others. Same reason why if someone else does create an OT for a show, I'll always make sure I go in there and support it, rather than just posted about the show in here.

a little crazy of me? Maybe, but there is a good reason for it as I like to reach out the olive branch for those that refuse to enter here.

Gundam Build fighters TRY 8-9

Man these 2 episodes...even more phenomenal the second time I watch them. Every characters interactions in this are so good. I really like the dynamic between everyone, they bounce so well of each other. Gyanko battles while easy to predict was so good. All that animation was amazing and it helped setup the next episode which is even more amazing!

The battle against Akira Sudou and his team was top notch. For all the crazy moves Sekai pulls off, each team fusing like there is no tomorrow, the Meijin random comments, Sekai full integration with the Burning, the Burning/Sekai looking cool as fuck and that damn mecha animation...Perfect!

This is so fun to watch.

Gvitor

It's adapted from a bad hentai. School Days is most famous for its bad endings, although the ending in the anime is a combination of original content and one ending from the game.

There's also various other good and bad endings. My favorite is the one where Makoto breaks it off with Kotonoha with Sekai standing beside him, and Kotonoha ruins their relationship by jumping off of a building headfirst into the pavement directly in front of them (link, skip to about 3:15 for the good part, gore warning). There's also a harem end where both Kotonoha and Sekai end up pregnant and are super happy about this so uh, yeah.

I haven't played it myself and I'm not really interested in it though. The only 0verflow game I'm interested in playing is Cross Days, and it's unlikely we'll ever get that.

That, ehrm, was certainly something.

The anime does feel like a VN adaptation, the problem is that either they apparently mixed all the routes into one (
he bangs every girl, after all
), or it's that badly written from the start lol

That, ehrm, was certainly something.

The anime does feel like a VN adaptation, the problem is that either they apparently mixed all the routes into one (
he bangs every girl, after all
), or it's that badly written from the start lol

School Days isn't a visual novel, it's an interactive anime. You watch videos and the decisions you make determines what videos play next.

Cornbread78

Brave Witches ep.1
d0cVeOz.png

Outside of some of the stupid fanservice scenes this really wasn't that bad and the art was really nice at times.. I'm not sure I can stick with it for a full season, but it's been referenced quite a bit, so I had to at least check it out. Not sure if it'll be worth the trip to hell to watch it though...

Something is wrong with the colors though. :/
yeah, depending on how it capped and what options they use, the coloration can vary quite a bit unfortunately...

Aki-at

To be Hero - 1

Finally realistic body proportions for superheroes. The hero we deserve.

Laughed through out, hopefully not a one episode wonder.

Cornbread just likes making threads.

Even when I'm not on anime GAF his name is literally everywhere on GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom