• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

The broadcasting platform makes it a problem for some people. Some would also rather avoid the illegal way of viewing it. Others are watching but refrain from posting. I think the show is solid, and could potentially be something akin to Rakugo. Maybe not as good in the drama department, but it's depiction of every day society and their "mundane" activities surrounding a specific something (which in this case is the creation of a dictionary) can be done rather well and be entertaining to watch of done well. It is also quite educational, showing us the ins and outs of that industry.

Ah, I've read about it not being licensed in the US. Quite a bummer for US folk I suppose, unlike me I've had no hope to begin with lol.

'Swhat happens when Amazon gets ya.

That restricted its access, but it didn't cause the people who watched it to rate it so low. Ah well.

In the west, maybe. I've got a hunch it'll be successful in Japan. I remember when Yuki Yuna sales dominated the charts when it aired.

Don't get your hopes up. As far as disc sales go, this season looks to be completely dominated by female-targeted shows featuring hot guys, primarily UtaPri and Yuri on Ice. And I'm not sure what kind of merchandising or other financial avenues Flip Flappers has to make back its financial investment, if any.

Cornbread78

The top 5 most disappointing anime
# Anime % Score
1 Berserk (2016) 63.3% 2.36
2 Battery 63.2% 2.23
3 Taboo Tattoo 45.9% 1.94
4 Gyakuten Saiban / Ace Attorney (up to cour 2) 38.3% 2.63
5 Rewrite 38.2% 2.51

Fair list, but Rewrite should be higher!

I'd probably go
5, 2, 3. I didn't bother with Ace Attorney or Berzerk.

That restricted its access, but it didn't cause the people who watched it to rate it so low. Ah well.

I dunno, there's a twitter account for Amazon Movie Reviews for a reason you know. :p

Don't get your hopes up. As far as disc sales go, this season looks to be completely dominated by female-targeted shows featuring hot guys, primarily UtaPri and Yuri on Ice. And I'm not sure what kind of merchandising or other financial avenues Flip Flappers has to make back its financial investment, if any.

Eh, we'll see. There's still an audience in Japan for magical girl shows, and I don't remember Yuki Yuna having any sort of merchandising or financial avenues either.

blurr

Speaking of Yuki Yuna I still maintain the belief that it's a legit good magical girl show despite what people may think of its ending.

I appreciate its postive vibe and I quite like it.

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou 06

Agetarou was on a pilgrimage for finding the ultimate way to chill out.

This episode had an ED (unless it had been skipped earlier) which hinted the DJ culture it had been touting were the real deal - Digging, Mixing, Long Mix, Quick Mix, Chilling etc. I was taking all those details with a grain of salt, amazing if that's actually aspects of DJ culture in Japan/Tokyo.

Syrinx

Keijo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1

The amount of power you'd have to generate in your legs to actually launch your ass would probably turn your knees and/or ankles into liquid shit. The average career of a Keijo player is probably like...three weeks.

Majin Bone 6

Gilbert becoming sparring partners with the MC shows some degree of humility in him and that he knows he needs to improve, but his arrogance is still gonna get him in deep shit if he doesn't pull his head our of his ass.

I appreciate its postive vibe and I quite like it.

I was a great magical girl show and I liked the ending.

The show as a whole, the more I think about it, feels like one big middle finger to all those "being meguca is suffering" magical girl shows that have popped up so much after Madoka.

Also it has one of the hardest earned, most well done emotional breakdown moments in an anime. Like the anime or not this is still a fantastic scene. (spoilers)

rrvv

Honestly, I never find "Suffering Magical Girl"anime really interesting. including Madoka. Personally their gimmick of "Cute girl is suffering" never really click me since the gimmick is just kinda basic and cheap IMO.

It is a cheap as "I am gonna kill this person just to make the anime look dark"

Honestly, I never find "Suffering Magical Girl"anime really interesting. including Madoka. Personally their gimmick of "Cute girl is suffering" never really click me since the gimmick is just kinda basic and cheap IMO.

Madoka is my second favorite anime after TTGL and I love it for how well written its story and characters are, as well as the fantastic animation by SHAFT. Not because it's a "deconstruction" of the magical girl genre like so many people incorrectly claim.

It's honestly sad that Madoka ended up putting the Magical Girl genre in of itself in an Evangelion scenario where shows similar to it in tone start popping up everywhere desperately trying to attract the same audience. Not realizing by the time stuff like Magical Girl Raising Project gets anime adaptations we've already moved on from the whole thing and are just tired of it.

Kyuur

Anime about guys smashing their dicks and ballsacks into girl's faces is simply called hentai my dear.

I mean, the same could be said for the current Girl vs Girl format :lol:

Besides, the show is more about using the ass and chest, not the bits. If they were devoted to the zany concept more than the pandering, they could make it work. In reality though 90% of their audience just will watch for the ecchi and only 10% for the silly shonen/sport concept.

blurr

Madoka was sort of the "first of its kind" (dark take on Magical Girl) for me so it really kind of blew my mind, opened up avenues about how story telling can be. Not to mention I was only beginning to get into anime that wasn't Bleach back then haha.

I think the trick with 'X but dark' as a concept is that you have to actually highlight a valid criticism of X. With good 'dark' magical girl shows it's highlighting that exposing kids to extreme violence and loss would probably impact them emotionally a lot more than straight versions of these shows could explore. Magical Girl Raising Project from this season has yet to do that for me (haven't watched ep3 yet) as they have yet to build any attachment to the characters before starting to off them.

In general I agree with your point though doing 'dark' is all too often reduced to adding protagonists to the body count.

JulianImp

Madoka is my second favorite anime after TTGL and I love it for how well written its story and characters are, as well as the fantastic animation by SHAFT. Not because it's a "deconstruction" of the magical girl genre like so many people incorrectly claim.

It's honestly sad that Madoka ended up putting the Magical Girl genre in of itself in an Evangelion scenario where shows similar to it in tone start popping up everywhere desperately trying to attract the same audience. Not realizing by the time stuff like Magical Girl Raising Project gets anime adaptations we've already moved on from the whole thing and are just tired of it.

But at least one of the good things that resulted from its popularity is that Madoka pachinko machines are freaking everywhere, so whenever I walk through the streets and happen to walk near a pachinko parlor, I get to listen to the show's OP and remember just how good it was.

Meaningful character arcs, interesting themes tackled in good ways, nice animation, and the gorgeous and unsettling thing that were witches and their domains... Yeah, Madoka sure was a good show.

Sterok

The only decent post-Madoka dark magical girl shows are Yuki Yuna (counts because of subversions more than actual darkness) and Wixoss (a card game). Good Madoka successors are basically nonexistent. I'll take Raising Project's despair festival thank you very much as long as it's half-decent (which is optimistic on my part TBH).

blurr

Just checked Grimgar is from this year, heard quite a lot of praise for it. I might give it a shot along with Tanaka-kun is listless just to round up a few more of this year's shows.

Exalted

Trickster episode 3

Another new case for this episode, this time a missing person one. While the case wan't really anything special, lots of stuff wasn't logical or believable at all lol, (that security was completely useless) i still found it slightly more enjoyable than the previous one. Also the last few scenes hinted at an greater story, instead of just case of the week.

b3UZOSS.png
gY6GLRf.png

i8Kpxx3.png
UM9Z8l4.png

I'll never forgive Anime Limited for this:

8ly9A4t.png

In the west, maybe. I've got a hunch it'll be successful in Japan. I remember when Yuki Yuna sales dominated the charts when it aired.

I have a feeling the narrative approach Flip Flappers is taking will turn people off and limit its potential audience to begin with. I'd much rather you were right than me though!

Szadek

Madoka is my favorite anime of all time and I don't like how many people call a deconstruction ,just because it's dark.
Doesn't help that most people that use that term haven't watch much of the genre.
I think it's possible to make a good case why someone considers it a deconstruction, but you need much better reasons than just "cause it's dark".

Also, I more for dark mahou shoujo, but right now most of them aren't trying hard enough.
Just being dark isn't going shock any long time anime fan, nor is it the least bit supversive.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Diamond is Unbreakable 29

Koichi is so cocky its great. Also I wonder what next episode is gonna be about...

Show by Rock S2 3

tumblr_n2kphwIFhg1somw7ho4_250.gif

Candy land makes me wonder if anything is edible.
Also leave it to Shingancrimsonz to ruin a Sentai show.

Shin Godzilla: Second Resurgance

Saw the film again yesterday and invited some friends. They all pretty much hated the film for different reasons. Except for the one guy who liked Evangelion.

Haiyore Nyaruko-san
Started because of a catchy opening song I saw on youtube. Dropped after I saw the characters were one-personality-trait moeblobs that just repeated their behaviors in different setups. Just not my cup of tea, though it had a Jojo reference in one episode, so thumbs up for that

Scorching Ping Pong Girls ep.3
Expected a better match than that but have definitely hopes up for this to be pretty hype sports anime when it gets going. Light-hearted too and I like the opening and ending too. Probably my anime of the season if you don't count continuing animes (Haikyuu, Jojo, Saiki). Scorching in the title name probably comes from the fact the girls in this anime blush like 100% of the time

Jex

Shin Godzilla: Second Resurgance

Saw the film again yesterday and invited some friends.
They all pretty much hated the film for different reasons. Except for the one guy who liked Evangelion.

Ah, I get it. You're looking to cut down on your circle of friends and you're looking for the best way to work out who to drop, right?

Nothing good happened between Spirited Away and Your Name. Its true!

Just like how nothing good happened between Terminator 2 and Fury Road.

People who hold that opinion must be pretty excited we're getting a sequel to Fury Road this week.

Indeed, limited.

Ha! I'd tweet that at them if they weren't pretty great outside of the aforementioned disagreeable marketing.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 054

How many troops would you need to occupy Heinessen? Don't two billion people live there?

The number of troops the Empire would need to fully occupy the FPA is like...a billion? Isn't the FPA around 25,000,000,000 civilians? If you had to lock down every planet with enough troops to dissuade insurgencies and also lock down all the trade routes that would be so many goddamn soldiers

Symphogear is the best post-Madoka mahou shoujo.

True.

phaze

Idk why you are even asking lol. Here's your answer ^

As always these rankings kind of baffle me. Some of the placings are just ugh. Like, Bungo up there? And Sangatsu last? Really?
Bungou 13 is easily one of the better episode of this season so far so please stop belittling our Lord and Saviour Igarashi.

Girlish Number 01

It warms my heart to see a show where people are being cynical, greedy, entitled and just all around bad. Managed to be quite funny and captivating too, picked up.

Cornbread78

I just happen to come across this gif today and wanted to share because the background crowd is the best part of it all.

v7rwdsR.gif

Take that!

Kiss Him, Not Me Episode 2:
My Reverse-Harem Can't Possibly Be this DoucheBagey

I felt this was better than the last episode, mostly because the whole fat voice wasn't present. I guess my frustration stems from how unlikable two of the four guys are. Overall I thought it was better than the first episode though. Still enjoying it.

Izetta: The Last Witch Episode 3:

My World War II Can't Possibly Be This Magical.

I actually really liked this episode. Maybe the "horrors of war" went on a little long, as it became painfully obvious how badly the battle was going, but overall I felt like it was a solid episode.

Magical Girl Raising Project Episode 3:
My Magical Girls Can't Possibly be this Busty. (Really going overboard with the well endowed characters it seems.)

Not sure I agree with all the slag MGRP has been getting. It does share some similarity with Madoka, almost certainly inspired by, but I feel like it's not an outright copy, and seems to be doing it's own thing, especially as we get further in and the story starts to come together around the "magical girls fighting each other to the death." It's been awhile since I've watched Madoka, but I don't feel like the two share too many similarities at this point, at least not enough for me to really feel like MGRP is just aping Madoka. Boy the build up is slow though, Episode 3 and we're only just getting to the meat that the series teased in its very opening shots.

March Comes in Like a Lion Episode 2:
My Show About Depression Can't Possibly be this Zany.

I'm struggling with March. I really liked the first episode, but I felt like Chapter 3's comedy was just not landing for me. Too silly, too bizarre. I enjoy the girl's comedic flavor and silly cutesy attitude more than I do the whole Shogi thing. Also wish I knew more about Shogi so the match actually meant more to me other than "MC is kicking older guys bum."

I'm very much on board for exploring the lead's depression, and while I do believe comedy is needed to keep the whole thing from feeling oppressive, I wish it'd trust the audience a little more. I feel like the comedies sheer frequency has to do with fear people won't stick around for the darker moments.

Gakuen Handsome Episode 3:
I can't possibly explain why my Wife is so obsessed with this show.

It got weirder. Was that even possible?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Ah, I get it. You're looking to cut down on your circle of friends and you're looking for the best way to work out who to drop, right?

Kinda. I had to invite people that had never had any emotional detachment to Godzilla since everyone in my close circle was busy studying for midterms. It was me and 3 other people. The first person hated it but like the political side of the film. The second person said that the
coagulant would only raise Godzilla's blood pressure since he's a Phlebotomist and not actually stop it so that the other drugs could freeze it
but otherwise liked this movie better than the U.S. 2014 one. And the last dude just said it
"That is Rei!" when you know who showed up. He then proceeded to tell us all the Eva references.

They gave good points and are not bad people but I'm never inviting them to see another Godzilla film again. Yet they do want to see Kong: Skull Island more than ever now.

jonjonaug

Magical Girl Raising Project Episode 3:
My Magical Girls Can't Possibly be this Busty. (Really going overboard with the well endowed characters it seems.)

Not sure I agree with all the slag MGRP has been getting. It does share some similarity with Madoka, almost certainly inspired by, but I feel like it's not an outright copy, and seems to be doing it's own thing, especially as we get further in and the story starts to come together around the "magical girls fighting each other to the death." It's been awhile since I've watched Madoka, but I don't feel like the two share too many similarities at this point, at least not enough for me to really feel like MGRP is just aping Madoka. Boy the build up is slow though, Episode 3 and we're only just getting to the meat that the series teased in its very opening shots.

I haven't watched this show, but the original concept that Iwakami and Shinbo had for Madoka before Urobuchi came on board and basically just did his own thing instead was something along these lines, with a more expanded cast and more frequent deaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom