• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Working had one of the ( if not the) best series wrap up episodes I've come across. Literally, everyone was closed out beatifully...

And?

The show can move on with new characters. I wasn't watching it for the characters exclusively, in fact I disliked most of the main cast. First and foremost I cared about the sitcomy gag feeling of the entire show taking place in a work setting with people of multiple age groups working together and a very relaxing comedy behind it.

The characters and their relationships came second.

kewlmyc

WWW. WORKING!!! 1-3

Eh, I don't know. None of the characters have grabbed me so far like the characters in the first 3 episodes of the original Working did. I'll keep watch, but it's kinda meh so far. Cool that one of the characters is a single(?) mother though.

Shin-Godzilla

Anime of the season. Blows Godzilla 2014 out of the water and I enjoyed that movie. The human side was actually interesting for starts.

Mailbox

Honestly, I feel like WWW. Working (as an anime) is more of a spiritual successor to Servant x Service more than it is a successor to working!! (setting be damned)

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 4-13/END
It's been quite a few years since I actually had to contemplate if I was willing to give an anime a 10. While Rakugo won't be getting that perfect score from me (only 1 out of 702 shows/movies/ovas watched have gotten it), that doesn't take away from the fact that Rakugo is one of the most brilliant and well crafted shows I've seen. Everything about the show felt spectacular, though I would have to give the voice acting the most praise. Truly the VA's brought the characters, and the stories they told during their work to life. Unless Yuri on Ice has an amazing half-way point (I'm assuming the show is a double season), Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu will be my AOTY.
9/10

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari : 1 & 2

TCwsnSJ.png

Thanks for the diabetes

kewlmyc

Honestly, I feel like WWW. Working (as an anime) is more of a spiritual successor to Servant x Service more than it is a successor to working!! (setting be damned)

The characters of Servant x Service had me more invested in them by this point. Lucy, Hasebe, and Chihaya were great.

Mailbox

The characters of Servant x Service had me more invested in them by this point. Lucy, Hasebe, and Chihaya were great.

i don't disagree, i was more referring to the structure and feel of the show.
this show has far more characters to deal with do i kinda expect slightly less invested

It's been quite a few years since I actually had to contemplate if I was willing to give an anime a 10. While Rakugo won't be getting that perfect score from me (only 1 out of 702 shows/movies/ovas watched have gotten it), that doesn't take away from the fact that Rakugo is one of the most brilliant and well crafted shows I've seen. Everything about the show felt spectacular, though I would have to give the voice acting the most praise. Truly the VA's brought the characters, and the stories they told during their work to life. Unless Yuri on Ice has an amazing half-way point (I'm assuming the show is a double season), Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu will be my AOTY.
9/10

one of us one of us

I assume you know Rakugo will get a second season? Was in a similar situation with rating this show and one way it'll get a 10 from me is if the second season and (and in this case second half of the show) will deliver.

duckroll

9/10

But is it better than Godzilla 1998?

JulianImp

9/10

Same here. It's just in a league of its own compared to all the other shows I've watched so far. The others can be good, but Rakugo is a step above, IMO.

When does the second season start, anyway? Winter or next year?

Hyrbrid x Heart 7-8
pzEGC.gif

okay, I need to ask, what is the rule about discussing hentai? Because lets just admit it now, this is hentai in anime clothing.

A whole anime built around the premise that the MC has to get his harem aroused to make them stronger couldn't end up being anything but bona fide hentai. Like, the girls are literally hooked to the MC after they realize they not only get more power from doing lewd things with him, but get to feel good as well... up to the point they began using training as an excuse to try and get it on with the guy.

It's hard to argue the show's anything but a hentai when the plot structure is always about enemies overpowering the girls, the MC getting deployed to "fill them up" (heh), and the girls being amazed at the powers they unlock as they begin doing even more lewd things with him. The best part is the show relies on the awful trope of conveniently scaling the girls' power and abilities up as the enemies get stronger, which is the brainless way of writing a battle anime.

Maybe it was the production team testing the waters for broadcasting a hentai show on TV eventually.
:>

Ascheroth

Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters #3

Man, the 'system voice' in this sucks so much it's downright incredible. It's especially annoying since the rest of the show has been really good, so it sticks out even more. Whoevers decision this was - please don't let this person be responsible for audio in any way, form or shape in any other shows in the future. My ears can only take this much.

With that rant out of the way, now for the good stuff.
I'm still really enjoying the way infected AppMon affect the real world. This week we had RoleplayMon, who deleted mobile game saves (the horror :p) and turned information messages and calls into NPC dialogs. The AR field this time was also really neat, it had this blocky retro dungeon feel to it.
Was also enjoying that things weren't solved with fighting this time, makes things stay fresh.
It looks like next episode Haru is finally going to meet another one of the presumed main cast, though he doesn't look friendly.

TUSR

Banned
Non Non Biyori Repeat 10

Much like last season, episode 10 was a stand out. The interactions between Ren and Candy Store are probably my favourite part of the series.

JulianImp

Non Non Biyori Repeat 10

Much like last season, episode 10 was a stand out. The interactions between Ren and Candy Store are probably my favourite part of the series.

Yeah, the episodes devoted to the interactions between those two are particularily heartwarming, mostly since they don't rely on as much random humor as when Renge's friends happen to be featured more prominently in an episode.

Just for fun I decided to compare anime trending and animegaf first week top 10 list.

They are pretty similar (in the titles that are in the top 10)

Animegaf
1.Sangatsu no Lion
2.Keijo!!!!!!!
3.Flip flappers
4.Euphonium S2
5.Yuri on Ice
6.Haikyu s3
7.Occultic;Nine
8.Izetta
9.Bungo stray dogs 2
10.Drifters

Anime trending

Line_HTX

I've been so busy all last week and Sunday that I wasn't sure if people started using the three-episode rule to drop and narrow down the list of shows to watch.

9/10

Rakugo is a AOTY-B for me. I absolutely loved it. Depending on the day, I might even put it first. Such a fantastic show.

Non Non Biyori Repeat 10

Candy Store rules. Their relationship rules. This episode was basically perfect.

I only finished it last week because I didn't want to say goodbye to that cast.

I cant wait. I'm gonna be sad but it looks like it was a very strong finale.

Have you tried season 2? it started really well, with a great first episode.
S2 had a really strong start, and a change of themes compared to S1, but i also think it's a bit high.
I watched season 1 until about halfway. Couldn't stand their constant attempts at humour that just kept not being funny, and overall it was just a bit too chuuni for me. I looked forward to it before it aired, but ultimately it just fell flat for me and I dropped it.
Where are the GAF numbers even from?

in b4 "GAF"
I'm guessing general consensus. I think it looks about right.

Just for fun I decided to compare anime trending and animegaf first week top 10 list.

They are pretty similar (in the titles that are in the top 10)

Animegaf
1.Sangatsu no Lion
2.Keijo!!!!!!!
3.Flip flappers
4.Euphonium S2
5.Yuri on Ice
6.Haikyu s3
7.Occultic;Nine
8.Izetta
9.Bungo stray dogs 2
10.Drifters

Wait, where is this list derived from?

Idk why you are even asking lol. Here's your answer ^

As always these rankings kind of baffle me. Some of the placings are just ugh. Like, Bungo up there? And Sangatsu last? Really?

I'm not surprised to see March so far down. I'm also in the Facebook IGN Anime Club group, and while they do pay more attention to seasonal offerings than some of my other groups, their tastes seem squarely centered on the more-- teen oriented, staple, overused concepts. Like Re:Zero, SAO, AoT, basically anything that garners some form of mainstream attention and has fantasy or sci-fi elements with a little bit of harem, usually, thrown in.

I think on there I've only really seen Keijo hype obsession. There's been a little Izetta talk, Magical Girl Raising, but not much else. In fact the rhetoric there has been that this season blows balls. (Which I actually think this is a pretty good season, just, you know, lacking hype.)

There is some March Lion talk, a little flip flappers, and Occultic;Nine, but it's generally Keijo or bust, and everything else is kinda unnoticed.

Yeah, I have a hard time believing Keijo is actually the second-most liked show in here. I didn't think this community was that far gone.

From the little I've seen here (I only just jointed) 2nd most does seem kinda high.

But I don't think Keijo is the worst fan service thing people could be obsessing over. I think it's got a similar charm to Food Wars! where it offers an over the top take on something that isn't really as epic as it's making it out to be. I think it's that charm, that absurdly serious fun that makes it appealing and why it's garnering such widespread attention and appreciation from a certain part of the anime base.

I mean, hey, at least we're not all fapp-- fawning over Hybrid x Heart lol

Exalted

Speaking of lists, i found the following list about the Summer 2016 from Reddit interesting, since it also has F/M ratios :
(scores are 1-5, the percentages represent how many people watched it)

The 5 best / worst anime
# Anime Score
1 Mob Psycho 100 4.59
2 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable (up to cour 2) 4.59
3 Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan (cour 1) 4.39
4 Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (up to cour 2) 4.32
5 ReLIFE 4.22
... ...
45 Tsukiuta. The Animation 2.33
46 B-Project: Kodou*Ambitious 2.26
47 Battery 2.23
48 Hatsukoi Monster 2.06
49 Taboo Tattoo 1.94

The top 10 most popular anime
# Anime %
1 Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (up to cour 2) 77.2%
2 Mob Psycho 100 64.9%
3 ReLIFE 51.9%
4 91 Days 51.3%
5 Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara 47.9%
6 Orange 46.1%
7 New Game! 40.8%
8 Amaama to Inazuma / Sweetness and Lightning 38.8%
9 Tales of Zestiria the X 28.8%
10 Taboo Tattoo 25.3%
Most people were watching 3 anime this past season.

The top 5 most underwatched anime
# Anime % of watchers think underwatched % of total has watched
1 Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan (cour 1) 51.7% 16.0%
2 Kyoukai no Rinne 2nd Season (up to cour 2) 43.8% 2.2%
3 Active Raid 2nd Season 42.9% 3.3%
4 Macross Delta (up to cour 2) 41.1% 9.6%
5 Kuromukuro (up to cour 2) 40.1% 9.7%

The top 3 highest male:female / female:male viewership ratio

# Anime M:F ratio % watching
1 Masou Gakuen HxH 3.12 14.2%
2 Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! 2.40 12.3%
3 Ange Vierge 2.29 5.9%

# Anime F:M ratio % watching
1 Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE! LOVE! 7.28 3.3%
2 B-Project: Kodou*Ambitious 6.97 3.2%
2 Tsukiuta. The Animation 6.97 2.2%

The male:female ratio is simply the percentage of male watchers divided by the percentage of female watchers (and the other way around for the female:male ratio). So if for example with the 3.12 M:F ratio 10% of all females watched Masou Gakuen HxH, 31.2% of all males watched it. This way, you can easily see what's more popular with the males and with the females.

The top 5 most disappointing anime
# Anime % Score
1 Berserk (2016) 63.3% 2.36
2 Battery 63.2% 2.23
3 Taboo Tattoo 45.9% 1.94
4 Gyakuten Saiban / Ace Attorney (up to cour 2) 38.3% 2.63
5 Rewrite 38.2% 2.51

Kyuur

Started our alphabetical no-sequels 1st episode watches last night.

Good Start
The Grand Passage: Relatively uninteresting subject matter but done with solid quality. Will largely depend on the cast and how they frame the subject. The informational break in the middle was kind of jarring.

Girlish Number: Industry quick-look anime without the pandering bullshit (so far) that infects a lot of them (stuff like New Game from last season); reminiscent of Shirobako's start. Cast is quite likeable and diverse already.

Izetta: The Last Witch: Great female lead in a relatively safe setting for telling a good story. As long as they don't completely ditch the political aspects and tone with the introduction of the witch I think this could end up being good.

Inoffensive
Lostorage incited WIXOSS: Not familiar with previous series, the first episode wasn't fantastic but reasonable enough to keep me on for another episode or two.

Pending Review
Occultic;Nine: There is a rather large problem with this but I am willing to overlook it given rave reviews since the style is fantastic and the subject matter is interesting.

ALL OUT!!: The concept art made me think that this had to be fujioshi-focused but the first episode was alright outside of one really dumb design. Maybe someone who's read the manga can chime in on this one?

Keijo-Tier
KEIJO!!!!!!!: Clearly a lot of love put in and solid understanding of how to make a shonen series behind it, but I just can't justify it. Maybe if the cast was more sex-balanced or if I was still 15.

Disappointing
Drifters: Just kind of boring, especially once the dialogue devolved into "OH HEY YOU REMEMBER THOSE HISTORICAL EVENTS? HAHAHA". Also, did they hire the same character designer used for Hellsing Ultimate?

The rest we watched (up to Izetta) were trash or meh.

Fan service is the least of Keijo's problem. It's an ecchi show to begin with and while that doesn't make bad sexual fanservice good I'm still going to complain about that last.

No, the show has dreadful direction. That second episode was so unbelievably garbage in conveying any action and motion that 'seeing it animated' cannot possibly be a reasonable expectation for the manga fans anymore. In fact, I've seen but a single page (that butts of Babylon stuff that everyone posts) of the manga and feel certain that it's a bad adaptation nevertheless.

The sequence that indicated that 'shy girl' always knew the location the ball would end up in was offensively bad. For once, the audience already figured out she's likely somehow talented after she reached her hand into the air and and has some special sense or so for it, and yet they give us the same kind of scene 4-5 times where the others run into her because she's already at the point the ball would drop. I mean that's bad but the god damn storyboarding for this has got to be a joke.

Just about the entire sequence is full of extremely simple close up shots that make it downright impossible to get a sense of the space and the movement taking place within it. They wanted to keep the fact hidden that shy girl knows the location which is incredible dumb because nobody ever cared to begin with.

Keijo-Tier
KEIJO!!!!!!!: Clearly a lot of love put in and solid understanding of how to make a shonen series behind it, but I just can't justify it. Maybe if the cast was more sex-balanced or if I was still 15.
Anime about guys smashing their dicks and ballsacks into girl's faces is simply called hentai my dear.

Where are the GAF numbers even from?

in b4 "GAF"

Wait, where is this list derived from?

I think the list is from the poll that was posted here at the end of the first week.

Seems like that poll I made that obviously someone attacked and voted Keijo multiple times.

Yea I took the numbers from Qurupeke poll. I thought it was pretty accurate, from the people talking here anyway.

I'm not surprised to see March so far down. I'm also in the Facebook IGN Anime Club group, and while they do pay more attention to seasonal offerings than some of my other groups, their tastes seem squarely centered on the more-- teen oriented, staple, overused concepts. Like Re:Zero, SAO, AoT, basically anything that garners some form of mainstream attention and has fantasy or sci-fi elements with a little bit of harem, usually, thrown in.

I think on there I've only really seen Keijo hype obsession. There's been a little Izetta talk, Magical Girl Raising, but not much else. In fact the rhetoric there has been that this season blows balls. (Which I actually think this is a pretty good season, just, you know, lacking hype.)

There is some March Lion talk, a little flip flappers, and Occultic;Nine, but it's generally Keijo or bust, and everything else is kinda unnoticed.
I figured that would be the case. Plus IGN's audience leans more towards the teens so it only makes sense that teenager centric shows are the people's focus. As for your latter point, again, this is I believe due to the audience. Shows like Sangatsu are "boring" to the younger folks. I like a mix and match of both slower and faster/mainstream approaches to anime, to keep me entertained, but I could see how others would think otherwise.

Speaking of lists, i found the following list about the Summer 2016 from Reddit interesting, since it also has F/M ratios :
(scores are 1-5, the percentages represent how many people watched it)
The stats fiend in me approves of this. Now THAT'S how you get real numbers.

I wasn't aware of this poll, it needs more Fune wo Amu.
The broadcasting platform makes it a problem for some people. Some would also rather avoid the illegal way of viewing it. Others are watching but refrain from posting. I think the show is solid, and could potentially be something akin to Rakugo. Maybe not as good in the drama department, but it's depiction of every day society and their "mundane" activities surrounding a specific something (which in this case is the creation of a dictionary) can be done rather well and be entertaining to watch of done well. It is also quite educational, showing us the ins and outs of that industry.

Flip Flappers not being on that list is just sad.

Where's the love for the sakuga magical girls? :(

While I share your disappointment, I think we'll all have an easier time if we accept that Flip Flappers is destined to be an under-appreciated commercial failure. A wonderful one, but a failure nonetheless.

'Swhat happens when Amazon gets ya.

While I share your disappointment, I think we'll all have an easier time if we accept that Flip Flappers is destined to be an under-appreciated commercial failure. A wonderful one, but a failure nonetheless.

In the west, maybe. I've got a hunch it'll be successful in Japan. I remember when Yuki Yuna sales dominated the charts when it aired.

I actually think you and a few others were the only ones who enjoyed it. Overall both outside of GAF and in my circle, everyone pretty much dropped it a few episodes in for a variety of reasons. That isn't to say the show is BAD, but it just didn't capture many viewers. Also yes, like nintendoman said, Amazon ^ Going back to my previous post, The Great Passage is stuck with the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom