• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

Like Flying Witch's comfiness, right?

:p

right on, fam

Cbd4F9q.gif

Ascheroth

Twin Star Exorcists #27

I continue to be impressed how each new OP and ED are really great. Episode itself was also pretty good-looking, let's hope it stays that way.
This was also a much needed break from the Basara-of-the-week formula, as it focused on Mayura instead. Fun fact: her training with Shimon is actually not filler, but a manga-storyline, though of course it was interwoven with the filler-storyline.
Regardless, was a pretty fun watch again.
It's also somehow really refreshing when sidecharacters in shonen anime get romantic development that doesnt revolve around the protagonist.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yuri on Ice 03
While I enjoy the general direction and story choices the skating sequences are starting to bother me. The tricks being used to emphasize the action are so thin and ineffective. The background scaling and panning is not very well done and dominates almost every single shot, with the wild zooming feeling particularly distracting. There really is not a good sense of depth in these sections as a result.

I also have to say the heavy lean into the yaoi angle works in this show with much more regularity than its fujoshi pandering contemporaries. Most of that stuff (see:Free) can feel so awkwardly sexless, but that Yuri on Ice manages to include those elements and make them feel story critical. It can be a little silly but it isn't dissonant with the overall tone of the show.

-Minsc-

I love hammy characters (FMA's Armstrong, Umineko's Kinzo, DR's Gundham, Re:Zero's Beetlegeuse, and so on), but after Detective Conan I vowed to never pick up a 100-plus episode series again. Then again, I think overexposure to this level of awesomeness will end up burning me out on large ham characters, and I really don't want to live to see that day.

Two, no three, episodes of Gintama a week. Except when you get to one of the many four to eight episode serious arcs, they'll be binged.

http://date-a-live.net/

1230859782436k4she.jpg

Official Date A Live site is counting down to something on Oct 22, the same day as the upcoming Fantasia Bunko Thanksgiving event. It's not guaranteed to be anime related, but +hype regardless, especially since the countdown method is strongly reminiscent of a certain tick-tock temptress.

sonicmj1

1) Kirito
2) ?
3) ?
4) ?
5) Bastard Subaru

Girls:

1) ?
2) ?
3) Rem
4) Asuna
5) ?

Maybe I’m blind, but who are the others?

Newtype Pairing Ranking
1(2 + 1 = 3): Shoya and Shoko from A Silent Voice
2(1 + 4 = 5): Kirito and Asuna from SAO
3(4 + 2 = 6): Taki and Mitsuha from Your Name
4(3 + 5 = 8) (tie): Araragi and Hanekawa from Monogatari
4(5 + 3 = 8) (tie): Subaru and Rem from Re: Zero

Mob Psycho ep.5
Damn, Mob rekt that dude and didn't even mean to. That dude was stripped of all his pride and his clothes, lol.

I think it was that episode where I went from lukewarm on the series to actively enjoying it week to week. I was never as hyped as everyone else in my circles seemed, but that's when the show actually won me over.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yuri on Ice 3:
I became 3-months pregnant from watching this. If it's a boy I'm naming him Victor. If it's a girl I'm naming her Victor.

Shelter 1

Doesn't she need to eventually.. feed? I mean something that small can't carry food for that long. What if something breaks down.

0/10 immersion broken not enough big
ship like in Alien

Twin star exorcist 28

Tenma is the first guardian that actually felt OP in the anime, which is a good thing. I found that the other guardian appearance were far too weak compared to their manga counterpart. I only really have Shimon and Seigen as exemples though. Since really the anime gets guardians appearing when we have not even seen them officially in the manga yet.

I also find that the anime don't do the Basara justice, which is a real shame. But aside from that I enjoy the new story I get in the anime, It's quite fun to watch.

Hoping for more Shimon soon!

Bungo Stray dogs 14

Man this season of Bungo just keeps getting better! Every episode feels just right, but boy was this episode dark! Those poor kids :(

Yuri on Ice 3

I approve of the music and the costumes! A really nice episode. I really like the characters and their dynamic.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So apparently the Euphonium movie has a longer performance of the marching band piece. Is there a list of all the additions KyoAni made?

remz

Shelter 1

Doesn't she need to eventually.. feed? I mean something that small can't carry food for that long. What if something breaks down.

0/10 immersion broken not enough big
ship like in Alien

I thought about this too but her real body has those weird sci fi plugs going into it- they probably feed her energy slurry

Cornbread78

Saikano ep.10-11
Damn... so much happened while these two try to live a "normal" life, even if it is only for a couple weeks. Then, that closing scene with Chiza transforming was like daaaammnn. Don't Shuji!

duckroll

but it'll eventually run out. There isn't enough space in that thing to last her for too long, let alone infinity.

MY IMMERSION

It doesn't really look like she's been in that thing for long. She looks physically about the same as when she was put into it. I'm sure the system is programmed to euthanize her when it's about to run out of supplies. RIP.

Damn that got dark.

Thoraxes

When I first read about the series I thought it was pronounced with "flowne" sounding like "clown" or "frown".

Dance of Curse would have sounded very differently lyrically if that was the case...

Anyway, very jealous! Roll on the end of November for the UK release...

Haha, yeah. I was almost the same with the pronunciation.

Haly

Asuka knows exactly what she wants. Can't hate on that.

Nozomi is the problem for pushing herself on the entire club at such a strenuous time.

CLAMP school detectives 8

I'm more or less righting here because this episode had me lost, not because the story was a mess but more that it made no sense.

So if anyone here is a CLAMP pro can they explain to me why the girl, who is competing at horseback riding because she wounded her brother and took his place, would want to cancel the ball? She had no motive, the conversation made no sense, she did not hate anybody, she was not jealous and she ended up dancing with Nokaru. Wut.

So maybe I missed something but since this is an obscure show from the 90s I can't find anything on the internet. So if by any chance anyone can explain please do.

JulianImp

Speacking of Kirito

AA3WBhL.jpg

Man, all the pairings...

I get someone from Eupho being 6th, and Shinobu showing up (shouldn't she be credited as Kiss-Shot instead, though?), but characters such as Gahara or Saber don't actually make much sense. For men, reading Gut's name on the male list just reminded me of something that would've been better left forgotten...

But then again, Saber's so pushed you can't go anywhere without seeing one of 32,767 variations of her, even though she as a character is bland and boring as hell. She never seemed to me like a strong character, but more like one that was pushed as the ideal Japanese devoted girlfriend with a couple of action girl traits thrown in to keep things fresh or something.

Oh wait, Rem's just the same... that's when I feel that glorifying girls who give themselves body and soul to their series' male leads is kind of bullshit, because it perpetuates the concept of the ideal girl according to men, which is all kinds of wrong. At least with Hanekawa her relationship with Koyomi is shown to be unhealthy for both of them, even though it's still shipping none the less.

blurr

Asuka's one of the more well written and realistic characters of the show. I can understand when people say they don't like her as a person though.

I saw facets of myself in her behavior.

blurr

On topic of characters, worth saying that Kumiko has an excellent VA. I don't distinctly recall her being this good in first season. Even the simplest dialogues "me too" etc give out some personality.

Asuka knows exactly what she wants. Can't hate on that.

Nozomi is the problem for pushing herself on the entire club at such a strenuous time.

I tend to think Yoroizuka is more at fault here but I'm assuming she didn't like Nozomi quitting the club keep her promise in mind. I that sense I sort of understand her too.

JulianImp

Magical Girl Raising Project - #3
Wondering what a character who died before we knew a single thing about would've said sounds ridiculous. Also, it was laughable how the plot is apparently only progressing because of a new rule being introduced, rather than characters simply devising a more devious way to win once they realized they'd actually die if they came in last.

I'd rather they not try to shoehorn intrigue into the series if they're going to do it in such a hlaf-assed way, and it looks like things aren't going to get any better anytime soon. I'll probably give it one more episode before dropping it like the crappy paint-by-the-numbers Madoka clone that it is.

Haly

I tend to think Yoroizuka is more at fault here but I'm assuming she didn't like Nozomi quitting the club keep her promise in mind. I that sense I sort of understand her too.
Mizore could grow up a bit but the oboe is more important to the band than Nozomi's regret.

Nozomi is that person who, after you make it big, cold calls you after 10 years of silence to see if you're interested in "catching up".

JulianImp

ClassicaLoid - #2
I was robbed blind here. Who cares about bishie Mozart, hammy Beethoven's where it's at, and all we got from him this time around was the gyoza costume... meh.

Jarmel

Banned
It doesn't really look like she's been in that thing for long. She looks physically about the same as when she was put into it. I'm sure the system is programmed to euthanize her when it's about to run out of supplies. RIP.

Damn that got dark.

She's been in there for seven years. Looks like her time is up. May she become stardust.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Oooooh I just learned something very minor about Re:Zero that happens right around when Season 1 ends.

*Minor spoilers*
Crusche gives Subaru the Earth Dragon best girl Patrasche.
Yay <3

I was hoping that was going to happen.

blurr

Mizore could grow up a bit but the oboe is more important to the band than Nozomi's regret.

Nozomi is that person who, after you make it big, cold calls you after 10 years of silence to see if you're interested in "catching up".

Only reason Mizore's performance would be affected is due to her own tolerance towards Nozomi rather than Nozomi coming in and replacing her or some such thing.

Mizore has to grow up but that goes for everyone as it did for Nozomi, she did realize her mistake so she is trying to make up by at least helping out than taking part. Nozomi is taking a step forward by even saying she needs Asuka's permission before the teacher or the president who matter more. Shouldn't Mizore step forward too, especially now that her performance is taking a hit due to a lack of expressiveness possibly relating to her relationship with Nozomi. Nozomi can't do much because she doesn't know and nobody intends to tell her either.

At least I personally feel strongly for people trying to overcome mistakes and make up for it. This is subject to the scale of things but for Nozomi's sake I can see it in myself to forgive her as did Kumiko.

Haly

Mizore has to grow up but that goes for everyone as it did for Nozomi, she did realize her mistake so she is trying to make up by at least helping out than taking part.
You're confusing intent with results.

Intent: She wants to make up for quitting the club in her 2nd year
Result: She's putting extra pressure on a good part of the club

If she truly wants to help, the best thing to do is just to let the matter drop. You know what's her real reason for wanting to go back? Because she realized, after Kitauji won the qualifiers, to everyone's surprise, that she missed her chance at being in a real competitive band, and now she wants to attach herself to the band to feed off their leftover glory like a remora.

Nozomi is taking a step forward by even saying she needs Asuka's permission before the teacher or the president who matter more.
I think S1 made it clear Asuka's the "leader" in all but name and Taki cares less about student drama than even Asuka does.
Shouldn't Mizore step forward too, especially now that her performance is taking a hit due to a lack of expressiveness possibly relating to her relationship with Nozomi. Nozomi can't do much because she doesn't know and nobody intends to tell her either.
No, I think she's always had this "problem" so to speak. Her arc this season is probably overcoming her shyness or whatever the fuck.

At least I personally feel strongly for people trying to overcome mistakes and make up for it.

I do too but I think Nozomi's motivations are mostly selfish. I'm reminded distinctly of that phenomenon during natural disasters or crises where people will go to volunteer to assuage their white/privilege guilt and wind up making more trouble for everyone involved because of their lack of training or experience. Not that Nozomi isn't a competent player but, when the club needed her perseverance she ran away (for perfectly justifiable reasons, mind you), but now that the club has found success without her she feels like she's missing out. Notice, she never tried to rejoin at any point before Kitauji's success.

I think the specific term here is "fair weather friend". At least with people like the previous third years, you know where you stand. A "friend" you can't trust is far more dangerous, emotionally.

Jarmel

Banned
Yuri on Ice-3

I see.

Yuri on Ice 03
While I enjoy the general direction and story choices the skating sequences are starting to bother me. The tricks being used to emphasize the action are so thin and ineffective. The background scaling and panning is not very well done and dominates almost every single shot, with the wild zooming feeling particularly distracting. There really is not a good sense of depth in these sections as a result.

Well I'm on the same page as you with this one. The animation production can't keep up with the choreography. It almost feels as if the sequence should have been done on 1's as the motion seems jerky at times. There's little depth to a number of shots and you can tell the animation team is really struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom