• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking more of the difficulty of getting over the Hirai faces.

I can understand that feeling, as after I got through Infinite Ryvius I swore I wouldn't watch another series with Hirai designs, and I was reluctant to go back on that by watching Fafner. But I do find the implementation of his designs in Fafner better than that in Infinite Ryvius at least, and especially in Heaven and Earth/Exodus I don't really have problems with the character designs.

Yeah, it's destined to be my second favorite kyoani series (of three I've watched) when I'm done.

I did a double-take when I saw that quote.

duckroll

I don't have a problem with Hirai faces. I just don't have the urge to watch multiple TV series and OVAs and movies just to be "caught up" on the continuity.

I don't have a problem with Hirai faces. I just don't have the urge to watch multiple TV series and OVAs and movies just to be "caught up" on the continuity.
That's understandable, but the investment to catch up to Exodus isn't nearly that huge. One 26-episode TV series, one prequel OVA, and one movie. Compared to other mega-continuity series, I think it's a bit lighter in comparison.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The first episode was so terrible I completely dismissed it. I'm already watching 6 shows on Saturday.
I'm trying to add up six watchable shows of what airs on Saturday and I am not even getting close. You have my condolences.

Jarmel

Banned
Ok so I've pretty much wrapped up my research on Katsuichi Nakayama and my result is that he's more of an animator than an actual director. What I mean by that is that I never get a strong artistic vision from him. The most prominent directors have a strong style attached to them like Anno, Tsurumaki, Sato, Shinbo, and the list goes on. I haven't seen anything like that from most of his storyboarding or episode direction. He's better at following the vision of others than presenting his own. You can somewhat see that in the way he storyboards as I would describe it as almost workman-like.
0000895878.jpeg
0000895880.jpeg

0000895881.jpeg
0000895882.jpeg

Tokyo ESP EP #7 Storyboarding by Nakayama
I looked at the episodes he storyboarded in Good Witch of the West, Gurren Lagann, Tokyo ESP and Planetarian (since those were the things I could most easily attach him to) and for the most part it's very basic. He does a lot of panning and isn't really creative or interesting in the camera angles or shots. The exception being his work in Planetarian #2 and to a lesser extent with Planetarian #5, both episodes he storyboarded and directed. His work on Planetarian #2 is actually fairly good.
For example this is a bomb being dropped on a kid and the use of an upwards camera angle with the bomb entering the frame and into the camera was effective storyboarding. He also goes for more abstract shapes which is surprising as he never really did that before in any of the stuff he created. He still pans a bit too much for my liking though and zooms the camera a bit too far out occasionally.
The direction in episode 2 is noticeably better than his previous works. The shot above on the right is fairly effective at describing the main character's feelings of the event with the strong red color usage. The shot on the left was nice for atmospheric purposes and the really gorgeous background art. His work on episode #5 is a bit iffier as I'm not sure whether it was an issue of production limitations, it just an ONA after all, as the action wasn't as slick as I wanted it to be or whether it was an issue with his general direction of the action sequence. It's not bad as I liked the emphasis on cover/placement and timing but it's not quite there compared to GITS 2015.

I also revamped my earlier staff assessment of the new FMP to more accurately sum up my current feelings.

Show By Rock S2 04

What dialect is it that Darudayu speaks in where she ends sentences in "arisu~" because I love it.

Too bad the rest of the episode didn't have Darudayu in it.

Gundam IBO S2 04

I laughed when Mika blasted a dude after pulling a pistol out of his snack pocket

I'm trying to add up six watchable shows of what airs on Saturday and I am not even getting close. You have my condolences.

Easy when you count Dragon Ball Super and One Piece. Those are long running series that just happen to fall on Saturdays.

Gundam IBO 29

That mecha battle, so good! The politics side of things were really cool today too! Maybe its was because Mika did not take to long to end his bullshit. Mika really looks creepy with that one eye empty.

Really fitting they call the gundams demons in IBO considering their origins.

Also 1 new
gundam frame!
and 1 new
mobile armor frame
?

While taking the bus today I was thinking about Kizumonogatari II and how Hanekawa's first panty scene still cracks me up like nothing else.

I don't think I can watch Space Odyseey the same way ever again.

While taking the bus today I was thinking about Kizumonogatari II and how Hanekawa's first panty scene still cracks me up like nothing else.

I don't think I can watch Space Odyseey the same way ever again.

The deepest panty shot in history. Other anime don't even try to reach the level of Nisio's genius.

phaze

Gargantia 11

Quite a bit of quality in here.

Hakaba Kitarou 10

Not that there was ever any doubt but this show is fucking weird. In the previous episode, our protagonist, Kitarou, had his body literally melted down to a skeleton and fought the villain with just his own skull. He supposedly needed 3 years to recover from this state In this episode, all this is forgotten, some new character Caroline appears as if she has appeared before and the episode also stars the mangaka himself, meeting his own characters, wanting to get inspiration for drawing by watching them, getting kidnapped by monsters etc. At this point I think the show itself probably forgot about Kitarou's foster father.

Jex

Okay, maybe I'll check in on Fafner but it seems like a lot of work. Is there anything I need to skip or do I just watch it all?

Uhhhh Yozakura Quarter, Birdy the Mighty Decode, Soul Eater ? I can't vouch for the latter, I'm only at its beginning and it supposedly has a horrid ending.

Yozakura ends without a clear cut ending but it sports some amazing animation and a decent enough storyline. Birdy more or less the same.
Meteor Methuselah is exactly it, but it's manga only.
Maybe Chrono Crusade. It's Gonzo though, so the manga is also better.
Thanks you two. :) (And thanks all for recs for my previous post in here.) Wish I could get more but I see my needs are a niche within a niche, unless there is a better place to ask.

Jarmel

Banned
Okay, maybe I'll check in on Fafner but it seems like a lot of work. Is there anything I need to skip or do I just watch it all?

If I was being crass I would say the first 13 episodes. Honestly though you pretty much have to watch it all. It all ties in, even the stuff that doesn't seem like it would.

There's a 2-part recap special called Arcadian Memory that obviously you don't have to bother with, but otherwise you'll need to watch the 2004 Fafner TV series, the 2005 Right of Left special, the 2010 Heaven and Earth movie, and the 2015 Exodus TV series in that order. Fafner is heavily reliant on continuity, shockingly so for an original anime whose entries came out over such a long span of time, so there's no part of the franchise you can easily skip. At any rate, it's the first 10 or so episodes of the original Fafner that are the roughest, mostly because they are rather empty in terms of fleshing out characters or simply giving you any concrete story explanations to latch onto. Once Ubukata comes on board as scriptwriter, that slowly becomes rectified and the back half of the original series is much easier to go through. Right of Left is a huge step up in visual presentation, and then Heaven and Earth is yet another big leap, which is continued in Exodus - once you get to Right of Left, it's smooth sailing.

I just jumped straight to Fafner Exodus (didn't know there was a first series) and it was perfectly watchable. Show is mad depressing tho. I actually wrote a huge writeup at the time but I accidentally pressed the back button on the browser and lost it.

Gundam IBO 29

I still don't believe we have the main character of a Gundam series shooting a person dead in cool blood. Shit's unreal.

That's understandable, but the investment to catch up to Exodus isn't nearly that huge. One 26-episode TV series, one prequel OVA, and one movie. Compared to other mega-continuity series, I think it's a bit lighter in comparison.

You say it as it's that simple. I mean, 26 ep tv series isn't that much... if it was actually good. I started but had to drop it around the middle, it was just bad.

Jarmel

Banned
This upcoming March, Toonami’s celebrating it's 20th anniversary. As part of the festivities, Toonami proudly presents “Sand Whale and Me,” a 25 minute, 5 part short film from legendary director Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor) and Production I.G.
Presented in a hybrid live action/CG style, "Sand Whale and Me” is the story of a female paratrooper in the distant future who is stranded in a vast desert. With limited supply of food and water, her only hope is to catch a Sand Whale from a pack. If she can’t, her life may just hang in the balance.
Check out first of several behind the scenes moments captured on set. Be sure to watch Toonami on March 18th for the part one premiere of “Sand Whale and Me!”
FULL STAFF:
Director: Mamoru Oshii
Composer: Kenji Kawai
CGI Supervisor: Atsuki Sato
Costume Designer: Dango Takeda
Cast: Hinako Saeki (main character), Yoshikatsu Fujiki (soldier)

Oshii is dead to me.

I still have no intention of watching Fafner anytime soon.

Everything I see about it just gives me the impression of things that I don't want from a mecha anime right now. Hirai faces, lame-looking mecha designs, a general focus on DESPAIR AND SUFFERING, etc.

I just jumped straight to Fafner Exodus (didn't know there was a first series) and it was perfectly watchable. Show is mad depressing tho. I actually wrote a huge writeup at the time but I accidentally pressed the back button on the browser and lost it.

Exodus is probably not incomprehensible without watching any of the earlier material - it does start with the introduction of a new faction and new angle to the human/Festum conflict. But if you start there you're missing out on a huge amount of story for the characters on the island that the show will constantly reference without pausing to recap much of anything for the audience. In particular, you'll miss seeing the pilots from the original Fafner gradually age into an older generation while a younger generation of pilots grows up behind them. That sense of passage of time and the continual flow of generations is a fascinating element of Fafner that you don't see too many TV shows explore.

Oshii is dead to me.

Only now?

Did he just get bored with 2D animation? Please come back Oshii. :(

For nearly a decade now, yeah. He's always been something of a grump, but I'm not exactly sure why he decided to abandon 2D animation. I did read an interview with him from the production of Sky Crawlers where he lamented how there were no good 2D mechanical animators anymore, so maybe he just didn't feel like he could produce 2D animation up to his standards anymore.

Ascheroth

Okada Gundam #29
New Gundam Frame and possible a Mobile Armor? Yes pls.
I wonder how much chocolate he's going to give Tekkadan for that alliance.

Show By Rock S2 #4

Another character-centric episode, this time about Retoree, featuring a ton of swimsuits and no ShinganCrimsonZ. Is the former enough to outweigh the lack of the latter? I'd argue not.
Still a fun episode though.

Thud

Saiki K. 75-80

Great. The part about buying a tv and ending up with a coffee jello maker had me.

So only 5 more of these huh.

You say it as it's that simple. I mean, 26 ep tv series isn't that much... if it was actually good. I started but had to drop it around the middle, it was just bad.
It is that simple though. Fafner is just another show that doesn't start well and takes a while to find its feet. And it's not as if the entirety of the original season is bad, just the first ~12 episodes. That you dropped it around when it does get better is unfortunate, but can't really be helped if you disliked it that much.

Everything I see about it just gives me the impression of things that I don't want from a mecha anime right now. Hirai faces, lame-looking mecha designs, a general focus on DESPAIR AND SUFFERING, etc.
Fafner is more "hope despite despair" than full on despair and suffering. The closest analogue I can think of would be Yuuki Yuuna, and you seemed to enjoy that?

And I'd just flat out disagree on mech design. They look damn good in the later installations, and Mark Nicht will always remain one of my favorites.

March comes in like a Lion - 03

Yes, keep monologuing about your rival and yourself for minutes on end while stuffing some overt balloon symbolism in our face. I'm totally interested, I swear!

I dunno, the more I see the less I enjoy it. Dimb had a bunch of points that I can only agree with.

I give it one more episode,

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 38

Kotoha takes after Mirai a lot more than Riko. I like these episodes where they're just screwing around with weird stuff in the Magic World. It was interesting to consider that maybe chasing around some rare creature annually may be a bad thing, but of course that would make everyone dicks, so that's not happening. Mofurun keeps on winning everything. The "I'm a teddy bear, so I don't have to brush my teeth" excuse... actually makes perfect sense. What was up with that ending. A preview of the movie or something?

Fafner is more "hope despite despair" than full on despair and suffering. The closest analogue I can think of would be Yuuki Yuuna, and you seemed to enjoy that?

It's good in Yuki Yuna because Yuna is a very upbeat, always-positive thinking main characters that always raised the spirits of those around her.

Fafner just looks like depression all around.

Cornbread78

Magical Girl Raising Project ep.4

Well,
Ruler
is now dead and gone. Did they physically kill her themselves or was it Calamity Mary? They skipped the scene, or I missed it, but damn... bloody finish..

The action scenes were nice, so hopefully there are more to come.

Jarmel

Banned
Alright let me break it down a bit further. The first season of Fafner and Right of Left do have an oppressing feeling to them in that the audience is looking at a society with their back against a wall. The people in the show are fighting for their survival in a way similar to Attack on Titan. People do die which of course is sad, but the atmosphere is about overcoming struggle. There's one death in the show that I can't talk about because hosanna hasn't gotten to it but it legitimately crushed my heart but that's not due to how the material was presented but rather due to how much I cared for the character. In fact the presentation in the episode was showing how the person was 'content' with their fate. That's very different than in Iron-Blooded Orphans with Biscuit crawling and trying not to die because he wants to see his sisters. That's depressing.

Not to mention they do mix in a lot of comedy later on, to the point that some stuff comes off as corny such as the Goubain garbage. I kinda wish the show was more depressing so I wouldn't have to deal with that stuff. Honestly though, Fafner (mainly later on) is what Gundam should aspire to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom