• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not. We're not talking about Casshern Sins here.

Oddly enough, I didn't consider Casshern Sins a terribly depressing series. It's certainly dark, but it's about trying to find beauty and meaning in a dying world.

Now, Texhnolyze.

There's a series you want to make sure you don't have any weapons nearby when watching.

Oddly enough, I didn't consider Casshern Sins a terribly depressing series. It's certainly dark, but it's about trying to find beauty and meaning in a dying world.

Now, Texhnolyze.

There's a series you want to make sure you don't have any weapons nearby when watching.

the opening theme song though, ironically enough, is great for parties

It's been a while since I've seen Casshern Sins, so my impressions may be faulty, but I consider it to be one of the most accurate emotional depictions of what it's like to be in the midst of chronic depression that I've seen in media. The relentless monotony, the bleak hopelessness, the continual crushing weight on your shoulders - it's all there.

Theonik

It's as if watching these shows is important to forming an opinion about them.
No way a cursory glance at sakugabooru should be enough. In-fact let me see if I can train a bot on Sakugabooru content to find the best shows of a given season.

Narag

No way a cursory glance at sakugabooru should be enough. In-fact let me see if I can train a bot on Sakugabooru content to find the best shows of a given season.

That's going to be skewed given the first three eps of any Studio WIT series.

Magical Girl Raising Project 01-04

So I'm enjoying this show somewhat, however I feel that's its on the precipice of being dropped depending on the next few episodes. Essentially Battle Royale with Magical Girls the similarities to Madoka Magica are striking from mortality being tied with magical girls to the evil little pet character. However this show is not Madoka Magica and it's painful to see that when watching it.

Madoka Magica had purpose in its world building and, yes, while it wasn't given explicitly there was always a tug or minor pull at something even more greater to come with the end of each episode. Magical Girl Raising Project on the other hand lacks in this and seems to just throw magical girls into a battle royale just for the hell of it. While this aspect isn't bad, the explicit similarities to Madoka Magica brings, imo, the overall feel of this show down.

Cornbread78

Izetta ep.4
Obviously, this was complete set-up for future events as Izetta's
weakness is exposed, the castle secrets
revealed (more to come, right?) and alliances/trusts formed. It's definately going to get ugly again really soon as the Germanian leader definately wants the witch.

Who this and what anime is it from?
tumblr_o2pu7bCAim1rqe0rbo1_540.gif

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Magical Girl Raising Project 01-04

So I'm enjoying this show somewhat, however I feel that's its on the precipice of being dropped depending on the next few episodes. Essentially Battle Royale with Magical Girls the similarities to Madoka Magica are striking from mortality being tied with magical girls to the evil little pet character. However this show is not Madoka Magica and it's painful to see that when watching it.

Madoka Magica had purpose in its world building and, yes, while it wasn't given explicitly there was always a tug or minor pull at something even more greater to come with the end of each episode. Magical Girl Raising Project on the other hand lacks in this and seems to just throw magical girls into a battle royale just for the hell of it. While this aspect isn't bad, the explicit similarities to Madoka Magica brings, imo, the overall feel of this show down.
Pretty sure I deleted my post on this so hopefully I am not just repeating myself, but for me Magical Girl Raising Project falls apart because it is so squarely aimed at a male audience that it just completely gives up on being a magical girl anime. From the hyper sexualized designs to the shock value explicit violence that the show revels in it winds up feeling so far removed from its source of inspiration that I just find myself wondering why that stuff is still there. In the end this is just a pretty dry show about people with super powers fighting each other, but the heavy pandering and misuse of subject matter is what's really repellent.

Jarmel

Banned
Maybe I'm shilling, or whatever the kids call it nowadays, but Exodus is legitimately great scifi. That's exceedingly rare nowadays in that we have few shows that even attempt to tell serious scifi and even fewer that stick the landing. I understand peoples' hatred of Hirai (I hated on him long before it was cool), and issues with the mech design/CGI. I understand all of that, more so than probably the people complaining. I was hating on S-CRY-ed and Gundam Seed character designs before the shows came out.

What I am saying is that despite those issues, and they are significant for me, the show is fucking great. Not just on the writing level, which is by itself a goddamn triumph in this industry, but on almost every level of the visual and auditory production sides. The staff actually make Hirai's designs in later seasons of the franchise actually tolerable, if not good for the most part, through a lot of work making the faces distinctive and expressive. That's a damn miracle.

As for franchise investment, duckroll you watched Seed. You can't complain to me about wasted time.

Maybe I'm shilling, or whatever the kids call it nowadays, but Exodus is legitimately great scifi. That's exceedingly rare nowadays in that we have few shows that even attempt to tell serious scifi and even fewer that stick the landing. I understand peoples' hatred of Hirai (I hated on him long before it was cool), and issues with the mech design/CGI. I understand all of that, more so than probably the people complaining. I was hating on S-CRY-ed and Gundam Seed character designs before the shows came out.

What I am saying is that despite those issues, and they are significant for me, the show is fucking great. Not just on the writing level, which is by itself a goddamn triumph in this industry, but on almost every level of the visual and auditory production sides. The staff actually make Hirai's designs in later seasons of the franchise actually tolerable, if not good for the most part, through a lot of work making the faces distinctive and expressive. That's a damn miracle.

As for franchise investment, duckroll you watched Seed. You can't complain to me about wasted time.
How is the role of women in the series? (I'll accept above average relative to other mecha anime.) I could use a good mecha series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A bit of a random question - since 95% of all anime is licensed and CR/Funi basically gets files directly from the studios now, I'm just wondering if anyone knew if the sponsor message still exists?

I was reminded of them when I watched an episode of something from 2009, when maybe half of anime was licensed and the other half was fansubbed.

I think they might appear in the ED/credits (as I've seen with Jdramas), but I'm talking about the times when they just take 5 seconds to announce sponsors either after the OP or when coming back from the mid-episode commercial break.

I mostly curious because I wonder if CR/Funi licensing these shows means that the studio gives them the version with all the sponsors ripped out, or if the economy of anime means that they don't have corporate sponsors anymore.

Jarmel

Banned
How is the role of women in the series? I could use a good mecha series.

Fairly good actually. The cast is mostly well balanced on almost all fronts from piloting to commanding. I never actually considered it but now that you bring it up that is somewhat unusual. The women don't feel like just love interests and there's an actual character arc for Maya in Exodus which is pretty interesting.

Narag

A bit of a random question - since 95% of all anime is licensed and CR/Funi basically gets files directly from the studios now, I'm just wondering if anyone knew if the sponsor message still exists?

I was reminded of them when I watched an episode of something from 2009, when maybe half of anime was licensed and the other half was fansubbed.

I think they might appear in the ED/credits (as I've seen with Jdramas), but I'm talking about the times when they just take 5 seconds to announce sponsors either after the OP or when coming back from the mid-episode commercial break.

I mostly curious because I wonder if CR/Funi licensing these shows means that the studio gives them the version with all the sponsors ripped out, or if the economy of anime means that they don't have corporate sponsors anymore.

How are the villains?

Are they just faceless unfeeling abominations and politically corrupt humans?

Man God

Non-Canon Member

You'll see them on pirate rips. Along with awful fonts that take up 40% of the screen and all the other junk that has led people to just pay for services instead....or wait for those services to get pirated!

Those are still present in every Japanese TV anime broadcast that I'm aware of. Streaming services such as CR usually have a version with that segment cut out from the video. Occasionally streams will have the chosen still with music playing but the sponsor names and spoken message cut out.

Jarmel

Banned
How are the villains?

Are they just faceless unfeeling abominations and politically corrupt humans?

Sort of both in the first season although for the humans it's not so much politics but rather different strategies that conflict with each other. The Festum in OG Fafner aren't particularly interesting and the human side isn't either. Both serve more as pressure and plot points than really being interesting on their own.

Exodus is different. The Festum sort of evolve and display more human characteristics making them actually sadistic. They start to enjoy making people suffer and there's a whole bunch of reasoning behind that which makes sense from prior events (which I won't go into for hosanna's sake). That's kind of an interesting theme in that the Festum become scarier the closer they get to becoming human. Likewise the humans are also more fleshed out and the human side is a lot more engrossing/complicated.

Thud

It's been a while since I've seen Casshern Sins, so my impressions may be faulty, but I consider it to be one of the most accurate emotional depictions of what it's like to be in the midst of chronic depression that I've seen in media. The relentless monotony, the bleak hopelessness, the continual crushing weight on your shoulders - it's all there.

Casshern Sins is basically the portrayal of life after the happy* ending. Witnessing the decay of the world first hand. Parallel to that the immortality of Casshern, a symbol of mankind's last hope. The question then becomes what happens if that hope breaks down or in league of the show when your sins are crawling up your back. To me it's more about humanity and the burden of life as that's what is a central theme in the franchise. In Casshern Sins it's presented in such a way that it fits, while in previous entries it was more an action hero show. Different angles, same character.

*One must not forget that the world in Casshern was already quite bleak to begin with. Robots enslave humans to help them make more robots. Casshern helped bring down that regime at the cost of his human body.

Rose of Versailles 9

And then they clamored with a smile: The King is dead! Long live the king.

Small pox was pretty common those days, so I'm not surprised. It did bring Louis XVI and Antoinette together for a brief moment. Pretty touching scene.

The witch is also gone, mirrors can finally take a break.

Sort of both in the first season although for the humans it's not so much politics but rather different strategies that conflict with each other. The Festum in OG Fafner aren't particularly interesting and the human side isn't either. Both serve more as pressure and plot points than really being interesting on their own.

Exodus is different. The Festum sort of evolve and display more human characteristics making them actually sadistic. They start to enjoy making people suffer and there's a whole bunch of reasoning behind that which makes sense from prior events (which I won't go into for hosanna's sake). That's kind of an interesting theme in that the Festum become scarier the closer they get to becoming human. Likewise the humans are also more fleshed out and the human side is a lot more engrossing/complicated.

Okay. Interesting enough.

Is it more Real Robot or Super Robot? I look at the OP and it looks to be somewhat of a mixture of both, but I can't really tell for sure. Is it more Super Robot the same way Eva was Super Robot?

Jarmel

Banned
Okay. Interesting enough.

Is it more Real Robot or Super Robot? I look at the OP and it looks to be somewhat of a mixture of both, but I can't really tell for sure. Is it more Super Robot the same way Eva was Super Robot?

It's definitely more Super Robot than Eva. It's one of the franchises that treats Super Robots like real robots, somewhat similar to FMP I guess. That kinda changes later on as the show shifts even more to a Super Robot slant though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They def rip them out. Easy example - Dragon Ball Super.
You'll see them on pirate rips. Along with awful fonts that take up 40% of the screen and all the other junk that has led people to just pay for services instead....or wait for those services to get pirated!
Those are still present in every Japanese TV anime broadcast that I'm aware of. Streaming services such as CR usually have a version with that segment cut out from the video. Occasionally streams will have the chosen still with music playing but the sponsor names and spoken message cut out.
Ah, thanks. I didn't even notice that they were missing until I watched that older anime, so they just must have been phased out in my consciousness as CR took over more and more shows.

It's definitely more Super Robot than Eva. It's one of the franchises that treats Super Robots like real robots, somewhat similar to FMP I guess. That kinda changes later on as the show shifts even more to a Super Robot slant though.

All right, it has my attention. On the backlog it goes.

Dimension W is just a boring show made to appeal to Toonami viewers in a very workmanlike way and not in a creative way like Space Dandy. Its not really worth hating on, or remembering.

Eila

Lol this is funny because I was looking for this video and the official subs are so much worse than the 2009 fansubs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoH5x_xZDcA
It's also using the old youtube video player, for some reason.

Narag

Due to production delays, episode 4 of the Strike Witches spinoff Brave Witches will be delayed by one week. The episode was originally slated to be broadcast on October 27 in Japan, but has been bumped to November 3.

rip world series of witches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom