• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dankir

Hi-ho the me-ri-o what's with Pinocchio?

Is that just Disney subtlety reminding us who controls these Marvel films? Is there some reference in the comics that makes more sense? The first time I watched it I didn't connect the dots and I doubt most movie goers would either. That last line came off cheesey and didn't leave some intimidating impression.

post-51329-Jacksonville-Jaguars-wtf-guy-g-Lltc.gif

Quick

Banned
Hi-ho the me-ri-o what's with Pinocchio?

Is that just Disney subtlety reminding us who controls these Marvel films? Is there some reference in the comics that makes more sense? The first time I watched it I didn't connect the dots and I doubt most movie goers would either. That last line came off cheesey and didn't leave some intimidating impression.

If we're going with some Marvel history here, Pinocchio was the inspiration for Ultron.

See, when Ant-Man created Ultron, he was thinking about wooden puppets. Upon discovering his family genealogy, he found out that he was actually a descendant of Geppetto. He travelled to Italy, and found the remains of both Geppetto and Pinocchio, and created Ultron.

But then, he was visited by the fairy god mother after she heard Hank crying about wanting a real sentient robot. She wished him Ultron's sentience, and that's how Ultron came to be. You'll actually notice in the comics that Ultron always has a sort of voice of conscience, but he'd always kill it, like Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket.

So, it's appropriate that the song was playing because that's what Ultron plays in the comics to introduce himself. And his famous line is always "There are no strings on me."

This makes a lot of sense, right?

If we're going with some Marvel history here, Pinocchio was the inspiration for Ultron.

See, when Ant-Man created Ultron, he was thinking about wooden puppets. Upon discovering his family genealogy, he found out that he was actually a descendant of Geppetto. He travelled to Italy, and found the remains of both Geppetto and Pinocchio, and created Ultron.

But then, he was visited by the fairy god mother after she heard Hank crying about wanting a real sentient robot. She wished him Ultron's sentience, and that's how Ultron came to be. You'll actually notice in the comics that Ultron always has a sort of voice of conscience, but he'd always kill it, like Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket.

So, it's appropriate that the song was playing because that's what Ultron plays in the comics to introduce himself. And his famous line is always "There are no strings on me."

is ultron a real boy tho.

You are the first person who I've seen say they didn't get what Ultron was saying there.

And the audio from the Comic-Con trailer (which was this, plus some other parts) had the strings part in it.

Yeah but you're on NeoGAF and your reference point is Comic-Con. I don't think the masses will get that last line as you can't control me I'm no puppet. It's just a weird one liner that's all.

Now why doesn't the Ultron-wiki have this write up. This sounds like perfect canon.

Yeah but you're on NeoGAF and your reference point is Comic-Con. I don't think the masses will get that last line as you can't control me I'm no puppet. It's just a weird one liner that's all.

The trailer's been out for hours, and every single person I know on social media immediately made the puppet/string connection without even knowing the song was from Pinnochio. You had the inverse response. I think it's silly to assume that since you didn't connect the dots, the majority won't.

J10

Banned
Christ, if you were paying attention to his lines at the beginning of the trailer it's clear as day he's talking about control.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so they are completely changing Wanda's powers for the movie?

not that her powers are atually ever trully set in stone in the comics, I mean it started off as the power of probability and isnt she like a demi-dog almost these days?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
New article on the making of Age of Ultron:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/thor-captain-america-avengers-age-of-ultron-set-visit

LONDON — Thor and Captain America are ensnared in an epic battle on the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron. A legion of robot “Ultrons” — like the malevolent swarm from those haunting posters for the film, opening May 1, 2015 — are laying waste to a city within the (fictional) nation of Sokovia, under the control of the artificially intelligent titular villain. Civilians flee in terror, racing through streets littered with the husks of bombed-out cars and hunks of debris and shards of glass (or, rather, painted styrofoam and crumbly clear plastic) scattered along the ground. To evade the Ultrons’ attack, Cap (Chris Evans) dives under an exploding pile of rubble, skidding along the ground on top of his trademark red, white, and blue shield. He then flips up onto his feet and kicks his shield into the air — just in time for Thor (Chris Hemsworth) to thwack it with his trademark hammer, slicing it through a pack of robots nearby like the most lethal and badass Frisbee ever.

That sounds so badass.

Also, does anyone know where Sokovia is? Are Marvel Studios using it because they don't have the rights to Latveria?

In Ultron Unlimited it was called Slorenia. It's just a fictional nation that exists for the sole purpose of being taken over by Ultron, it has nothing to do with Latveria.

This is probably where Pietro and Wanda will be from.

ahhhhh ya beat me

Dai101

Banned

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/thor-captain-america-avengers-age-of-ultron-set-visit

That sounds so badass.

Also, does anyone know where Sokovia is? Are Marvel Studios using it because they don't have the rights to Latveria?

Ultron attacks a fictional Eastern European country in Ultron Unlimited. It's a reference to that.

It is a stand in for Solernia, which was the fictional country Ultron invaded (and then killed every living being in) in Ultron Unlimited.

In Ultron Unlimited it was called Slorenia. It's just a fictional nation that exists for the sole purpose of being taken over by Ultron, it has nothing to do with Latveria.

This is probably where Pietro and Wanda will be from.

ahhhhh ya beat me

So, that's the place where Von Struker's HYDRA HQ is?

It has been over a decade since I read it, but didn't Ultron also turn the corpses of all the citizens into something like cyber zombies? Just added the cybernetics to them so they could walk and fight, and used them to fight off the UN forces or whatever it was?
It was fucked up.

EDIT: Yup. Had to find the pics.
Mr2aYdf.jpg

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Another quote from the Buzzfeed article:

That fractured storytelling portends a momentous shake-up in what we’ve come to know as the Marvel Cinematic Universe, a sense that’s made all the more palpable in the trailer for the film. “The Avengers films, ideally, in the grand plan are always big, giant linchpins,” says producer and Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige on the Age of Ultron set. “It’s like as it was in publishing, when each of the characters would go on their own adventures and then occasionally team up for a big, 12-issue mega-event. Then they would go back into their own comics, and be changed from whatever that event was. I envision the same thing occurring after this movie, because the [Avengers] roster is altered by the finale of this film.”

BRING IT ON, MARVEL!!!!

Avengers_16_May_1965.jpg

Slayven

It has been over a decade since I read it, but didn't Ultron also turn the corpses of all the citizens into something like cyber zombies? Just added the cybernetics to them so they could walk and fight, and used them to fight off the UN forces or whatever it was?
It was fucked up.

EDIT: Yup. Had to find the pics.
Mr2aYdf.jpg

Well Solernia did it first.
eRpwFRX.jpg

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

It's somewhere between Smellgium and the Netherpants.

Alienous

Robert Downey Jr. said:
And so without giving too much away, I think, and why I generally just kinda like stamped it when the first draft came in is ’cause I thought, “Oh wow, it didn’t fall into that trap.” And I read the last page and I got chills for a reason I definitely can’t explain.

Aw shit.

UncleO

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138262-Marvel-Studios-Phase-3-Plans-Revealed

Following Avengers 2, the studio will be releasing:

Captain America: Civil War (May 6th, 2016);
Dr. Strange (Nov. 4th, 2016);
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (May 5th, 2017);
Thor: Ragnarok (July 18th, 2017);
Black Panther (November 3, 2017);
Avengers: Infinity War, Part 1 (May 4th, 2018);
Captain Marvel (July 6th, 2018);
Inhumans (November 2nd, 2018);
Avengers: Infinty War, Part 2 (May 3rd, 2019).

If Old sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom