• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_ne6snjqwKl1rw5eu4o1_500.jpg

LOLOL Amazing!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
As the director, Whedon has direct control over how the movie is shot.

However, as the director, he also doesn't have the time to dictate every scene, shot for shot. What he really needs is a better cinematographer. AoU has a new guy, Ben Davis, who also was the director of photography for Guardians of the Galaxy, Kick-Ass, Stardust, and Layer Cake. I like his body of work more than Seamus McGarvey who did the first Avengers movie.

Since its seems that Robert Downey Jr. has gotten a new contract I wouldnt be surprised when most of the current cast would have gotten a new contract.

Bizazedo

Captain America moving "Mjolnir" was awesome!
Cap is the best :)

It'd be pretty cool if he realized he could move it, but didn't, so as to not mess with Thor with everyone present. Thor's reaction when it budged slightly + his hesitation in the first Avengers hints at insecurity. Maybe Cap realizes it.

Since its seems that Robert Downey Jr. has gotten a new contract I wouldnt be surprised when most of the current cast would have gotten a new contract.

It's not so much a new contact, he's just negotiating on a movie-by-movie basis, which works in everyone's favour because he surely doesn't want to get tied up in something 10 years away, and Marvel wants to keep using Iron Man but can't fit another solo movie in with their plans.

The rest will probably do something similar, though with the way things are going I can totally see Phase 4 giving us Captain America 4, Thor 4 and Iron Man 4. There will be a lot to resolve for these characters following Infinity Wars.

I never got the complaints that the Avengers looked like a TV show until I watched it again just recently.

And yeah. Hopefully the new cinematographer is up to the task. Already looks tons better based on the trailer

inky

It will look better. I'm 100% sure.

Heck, I was watching the AoU trailer the other day and one of the related videos was the first Avengers trailer. I actually never saw that trailer before, so I clicked it and wow, that was such a shit trailer. Like, really fucking terrible.

We've come a long way since then.

inky

Yep.

Although it seems to have a better take of the "genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist" line than what the movie got. It's weird when trailers do that.

But I think overall it's pretty terrible. I love NIN too, The Fragile in particular, but I don't think it fits the trailer at all. But, like I said, I didn't see it before the movie so I don't have that context either. Maybe it was hype back then.

Yep.

Although it seems to have a better take of the "genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist" line than what the movie got. It's weird when trailers do that.

But I think overall it's pretty terrible. I love NIN too, The Fragile in particular, but I don't think it fits the trailer at all. But, like I said, I didn't see it before the movie so I don't have that context either. Maybe it was hype back then.

I remember watching an Avengers trailer over and over again, but definitely not that one

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The The Avengers trailers were awful, really thought this movie will bomb so hard because it looked so shitty.

Then I went to the cinema and saw the light.

So in MCU canon, whoever picks up the hammer gains all the powers of Thor. In the first Thor film, we saw that without his powers, Thor is essentially a base-level human in peak condition. Does this imply that if Steve were to pick up the hammer, he would get Thor's entire powerset (super strength, durability, etc)?

Fiktion

Banned
So in MCU canon, whoever picks up the hammer gains all the powers of Thor. In the first Thor film, we saw that without his powers, Thor is essentially a base-level human in peak condition. Does this imply that if Steve were to pick up the hammer, he would get Thor's entire powerset (super strength, durability, etc)?

Yes that's how it works.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Odin imbued Mjolnir with the inscription: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

So if you can lift that thing, you can 'fly', zap lightning and you get crazy strong.

I'm pretty sure he would be about caps level without his hammer. I seem to remember a random asguardian being on shield who had lived for about 1000 years and was super solider strong.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Why is Thor more worthy of Milnor than Captain America at the moment?
Doesn't seem to make sense why he'd be able to handle it, while Captain can only slightly lift it. Unless captain was pretending.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Is it really the "power of Thor" if Thor loses his power unless he has the hammer... was Thor just named after the inscription?

In the MCU, the inscription was added to Mjolnir after Thor was acting like an arogant ass again. Odin was sick and tired of his shit and transfered his powers to Mjolnir and making Mjolnir an immovable object to all those unworthy of the powers once bestowed unto Thor and now transfered to Mjolnir.

Here's the scene in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWmlWA_jb7w

I'm pretty sure he would be about caps level without his hammer. I seem to remember a random asguardian being on shield who had lived for about 1000 years and was super solider strong.

He lost a fight to a regular human. Granted, that human was probably about peak Arnold Schwarzenegger size. Cap wouldn't have lost that fight though. As the first Thor film depicted him, depowered Thor is basically Chris Hemsworth in terms of physical ability.

neoanarch

It doesn't really make sense in a world where Thor is merely an alien and Odin is a dick. It's a paradox to the days before Thor was actually Thor. Donald Blake was merely a human who found Thors hammer and gained his powers by being worthy. They later retconned this origin into Thor being the actual god of thunder.

Ovek

7Member7
My plot theory

More like
Tony "surprises" the rest of the Avengers at the beginning of the film with his army of suicide drones, his master plan to not put people he cares about in any more danger.

Ultron (possibly the hub/general drone) will gain conscience in his broken body during the party, lay a verbal smackdown on the Avengers and escape.

The avengers will become divided during the film, some supporting Tony's drone program and some blaming him for all the death and destruction Ultron is causing, resulting in a Tony vs Banner argument that leads to hulk buster etc.

Ultron will capture Scarlet and QS but helps them overcome there brainwashing, generally because he has a thing about strings and not being controlled - instead of the established comics daddy issues theme.

Scarlett will defeat Ultron using her untapped power (yawn) almost killing the already defeated Avengers. It might also hit Dr Stanges radar, they have plenty of time to film a after credit cameo so you never know.

Oh and at some point Jarvis will get stuck in a body by Ultron (wants Jarvis to be free of strings) que awesome capes and creepy scenes with Scarlet.

The end.

Related to that last post, if

Scarlet fucking Witch is the one to take down Ultron

I'm going to have some serious issues. My reasoning:

The most imposing villain of the entire MCU to this point should not be defeated by someone who was just introduced in this film. I'd be okay with this if Scarlet Witch played some role in defeating him, but if she solos him I will fucking lose it.

Ovek

7Member7
I thought due to leaks that have been confirmed, we know that
Scarlett Witch causes banner to hulk out in Africa, where the Hulk Buster fight is.

No doubt I expect them both to be the bad guys for at least 2/3rds of the movie. I still think a verbal confrontation between banner and stark will trigger it, Scarlet pushing banner with her space sceptre magic.

Renekton

It doesn't really make sense in a world where Thor is merely an alien and Odin is a dick. It's a paradox to the days before Thor was actually Thor. Donald Blake was merely a human who found Thors hammer and gained his powers by being worthy. They later retconned this origin into Thor being the actual god of thunder.
Blake was created by Odin for Thor, Thor eventually gave up the Blake thing himself.

Somewhere in between though (Ragnarok?) Blake was a separate guy, not sure what happened.

EDIT: holy shit, I can get Odin wanting to give Thor a human form to teach him humilty, but... world-class Surgeon??

Cth

More like
Tony "surprises" the rest of the Avengers at the beginning of the film with his army of suicide drones, his master plan to not put people he cares about in any more danger.

Ultron (possibly the hub/general drone) will gain conscience in his broken body during the party, lay a verbal smackdown on the Avengers and escape.

The avengers will become divided during the film, some supporting Tony's drone program and some blaming him for all the death and destruction Ultron is causing, resulting in a Tony vs Banner argument that leads to hulk buster etc.

Ultron will capture Scarlet and QS but helps them overcome there brainwashing, generally because he has a thing about strings and not being controlled - instead of the established comics daddy issues theme.

Scarlett will defeat Ultron using her untapped power (yawn) almost killing the already defeated Avengers. It might also hit Dr Stanges radar, they have plenty of time to film a after credit cameo so you never know.

Oh and at some point Jarvis will get stuck in a body by Ultron (wants Jarvis to be free of strings) que awesome capes and creepy scenes with Scarlet.

The end.

One thing, however..

Banner helps create Ultron with Tony from what I remember. Also, Ruffalo recently referred to Ultron as his baby.

Kimosabae

Banned
I never understood the "shot for TV" criticisms? Like, can someone educate me? Offer comparison shots or something? Because the original Avengers always looked just fine to me - trailers as well. I actually quite liked the cinematography - many of the SHIELD scenes in particular.

Maybe it's because I don't watch TV, really. What are fundamental differences between TV cinematography and television cinematography, outside special effects tending to look much better in the former due to enhanced budgets?

I mean, Serenity was a beautifully shot movie IMO, and I've heard that criticism there, too. I just don't get it.

I never understood the "shot for TV" criticisms? Like, can someone educate me? Offer comparison shots or something? Because the original Avengers always looked just fine to me - trailers as well. I actually quite liked the cinematography - many of the SHIELD scenes in particular.

Maybe it's because I don't watch TV, really. What are fundamental differences between TV cinematography and television cinematography, outside special effects tending to look much better in the former due to enhanced budgets?

I mean, Serenity was a beautifully shot movie IMO, and I've heard that criticism there, too. I just don't get it.

I think the 1.85:1 aspect ratio had some part in the criticisms.

neoanarch

Blake was created by Odin for Thor, Thor eventually gave up the Blake thing himself.

Somewhere in between though (Ragnarok?) Blake was a separate guy, not sure what happened.

EDIT: holy shit, I can get Odin wanting to give Thor a human form to teach him humilty, but... world-class Surgeon??
Yes. I know all that. Most of it is a retcon. Blake wasn't a creation of Odin or part of Thor or anything like that. Odin did strip Thor of his power and locked it into his hammer. The hammer is sent to Earth in disguise as a walking stick. Donald wanders by finds the hammer and transforms into Thor. Thus fulfilling the original inscription. Only later is it "revealed" that Donald was never real but introducing a weird paradox with the inscription.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
The movie universe's Captain America is worthy of the hammer.

I think the problem at the moment is that he's not ready to lift it. Having Cap just nudge the hammer is brilliant and a perfect metaphor for where his mind currently is; he still has lots of questions about the world, who the good guys and bad guys are, and where he stands on a lot of complex issues. The nudge alludes to true greatness within, but the greatness has yet to be crystallized. There's going to be a moment in Avengers 3 where he's like, "I am fucking ready to lift this hammer" and it will be glorious.

Why is Thor more worthy of Milnor than Captain America at the moment?
Doesn't seem to make sense why he'd be able to handle it, while Captain can only slightly lift it. Unless captain was pretending.

The comics thread had a few pages discussion on this recently. Odin's values are not our values. Odin is actually kind of a dick. He's more or less a good guy, but still a huge dick.

Ovek

7Member7
One thing, however..

Banner helps create Ultron with Tony from what I remember. Also, Ruffalo recently referred to Ultron as his baby.

There could be some friction on what direction the drone project took, Banner in the first avenger movie doesn't seem like the guy who would want to make a army of killer drones.

What I get hung up on is why Cap would be 'become' worthy at some point. It feels like he should already be able to move it in that scene. Exactly what would happen to officially make him worthy. Cap's about the most honest and true person in the MCU so maybe it some kind of recognition of how the power should be used?

LaNaranja

What I get hung up on is why Cap would be 'become' worthy at some point. It feels like he should already be able to move it in that scene. Exactly what would happen to officially make him worthy. Cap's about the most honest and true person in the MCU so maybe it some kind of recognition of how the power should be used?

Self doubt because Bucky? And he is kind of an asshole for not inviting Falcon to that Avengers party.

Self doubt because Bucky? And he is kind of an asshole for not inviting Falcon to that Avengers party.

lol. Now I'm totally pulling this out of my ass but for some reason I keep thinking that there was an acknowledgment that to wield Thor's hammer you have to both be willing to defend the innocent and destroy evil, truly destroy it, as in maybe having to take a life to do it.

I was thinking that Cap isn't committed enough to destroying evil. Maybe he's always willing to fight but he would prefer not to have to. Maybe he would need to be willing to take the hammer and slay evil with it's power?

Lmo911

I'm siding with Bucky doubt for why Steve can't pick it up yet. He had his empire moment getting his face punched in by his best friend. How can he save him? Did he save him? This movie shows the shield being broken, that's symbolism right there! Caps questioning his motives and the world around him. If it was WW2 cap, he'd probably be spinning that thing around like a baton, but this is a cap that's a bit lost in the world now. He hasn't found a way to be himself yet and when he does that's when he cracks Thanos wide open with the hammer.

Imo, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom