• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoanarch

I think the fact that it was 16:9 makes a lot of people associate it with looking like a tv show. Which I find just dumb. I'll bet if someone cropped some of those gifs into 1:85:1 or 2:39:1 ratios peoples opinions would magically change.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I think the fact that it was 16:9 makes a lot of people associate it with looking like a tv show. Which I find just dumb. I'll bet if someone cropped some of those gifs into 1:85:1 or 2:39:1 ratios peoples opinions would magically change.

AvengersThorGiggle.gif

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This scene is the best in the whole movie for me. On this gif, we can only see a part, but the camera stays following the fight from Avenger to Avenger.
Absolutly perfectly and awesome to watch, for me the best fighting scene in all superhero movies ever created.

Is there a gif from the complete scene?

DeathyBoy

Banned
This scene is the best in the whole movie for me. On this gif, we can only see a part, but the camera stays following the fight from Avenger to Avenger.
Absolutly perfectly and awesome to watch, for me the best fighting scene in all superhero movies ever created.

Okay, I have to...

What was good about that scene? I'm genuinely curious, because I don't get it. Didn't get it in the cinema in 3D, or in the cinema in 2D, or on Blu-Ray. And I kinda want to know why other people are so enamored with it... clearly I'm missing something, and it's bugging me ever so slightly.

And if the reply is 'it's awesome' then...

TEJ

Okay, I have to...

What was good about that scene? I'm genuinely curious, because I don't get it. Didn't get it in the cinema in 3D, or in the cinema in 2D, or on Blu-Ray. And I kinda want to know why other people are so enamored with it... clearly I'm missing something, and it's bugging me ever so slightly.

it felt the most 'stylish' out of all the action scenes in the movie. the point in the movie where you really felt like they were a team, and working together as a team.

DeathyBoy

Banned
it felt the most 'stylish' out of all the action scenes in the movie. the point in the movie where you really felt like they were a team, and working together as a team.

Right. But what makes it the best action scene in any superhero film?

Like I know it's the big scene in this film, and that they're working together, but is there anything other than that? I mean... can you sell people who are on the fence, like me, about WHY it's so good?

TEJ

Right. But what makes it the best action scene in any superhero film?

Like I know it's the big scene in this film, and that they're working together, but is there anything other than that? I mean... can you sell people who are on the fence, like me, about WHY it's so good?

Oh? Best?

opinions will differ as what is the best is very subjective but my favorite action scenes in superhero movies are spidey vs green goblin final fight in spiderman 1, the captain america TWS highway fight, superman vs faora in MoS

and as far as comic book movie action scenes go I adore the first TMNT movie end scene
where the turtles get their ass kicked by the shredder, and then the shredder charges at splinter and gets killed....until the sequel

Yeah, I consider TMNT 1 to be a comic book movie since tmnt was originally a indie comic.

anaron

Okay, I have to...

it's a single take tracking shot showcasing all of the heroes teaming up together against an alien army.

what's there not to like?

BLACKLAC

it's a single take tracking shot showcasing all of the heroes teaming up together against an alien army.

Bingo! From the moment Cap flings Widow up to carjack a Chitauri to Widow Jumping on the roof of a skyscraper is literally a wildly creative comic splash page brought to life. This is the shit that should have BEEN in those wack ass X-Men films. Teams working together to bring down a massive foe.

Had never been done before until the gawd Whedon stepped to the scene.

noah111

Still Alive
Cannot wait until we get to see how they weave The Vision into all this. Glad they left it out of the first trailer, at least—the more build-up to it the better.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Just the way that scene is staged, it literally looks like a comic book page come to life on the screen.

Renekton

Bingo! From the moment Cap flings Widow up to carjack a Chitauri to Widow Jumping on the roof of a skyscraper is literally a wildly creative comic splash page brought to life. This is the shit that should have BEEN in those wack ass X-Men films. Teams working together to bring down a massive foe.

Had never been done before until the gawd Whedon stepped to the scene.
To be fair to X-Men, DOFP set a new bar on that (mostly thanks to Blink).

This discussion reminds me how bland Justice League animation fights are. It's often each member taking on his/her respective nemesis and easily winning.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Cap looks like gumby doing a flying roundhouse in that shot.

That wasn't the original shot footage. They decided to change that part of the shot completely, if they had more time they could have made it look a bit better. But given how quickly the scene was moving at the time, I think they figured that making it look a bit more exaggerated would make it look better in your peripheral vision if you happened to be focusing elsewhere on the screen.

That wasn't the original shot footage. They decided to change that part of the shot completely, if they had more time they could have made it look a bit better. But given how quickly the scene was moving at the time, I think they figured that making it look a bit more exaggerated would make it look better in your peripheral vision if you happened to be focusing elsewhere on the screen.

Oh, thats cool to know!

Was the original a more subtle kick?

Just the way that scene is staged, it literally looks like a comic book page come to life on the screen.

I think this is as close as a perfect answer we're going to get as to why that scene is incredible.
I was just in nerd bliss when I was witnessing it. I remember looking over to my friend and we were just like, 'holy shit, this is actually happening'
I hope there will be a lot more of those in Avengers 2 & 3

inky

That was part of it, but I think what bothered people more was the lighting in some interior shots, particularly the first sequence when Loki arrives, and the lab inside the Helicarrier. Other complaints are with the type of shots used and how the aspect ratio limits the amount and kind of beautiful or elaborate wide shots movies are known for. But that latter part comes up less often.

Like many have said, it was likely done on purpose to bring up the colors in the suits and the flares on the Tesseract and Staff, but the lighting in both scenes is very simple, very plain, with bright, clear backgrounds and no apparent color filters. This kind of lighting usually makes the materials on the sets stand out differently, and the sets in this movie are very slick, so the plasticky texture of the furniture and beams stands out.

Other scene that is often brought up is the night forest with Loki and Thor. It doesn't have complex scenery backdrop even though it's very moody, so it kinda feels like a set with a green-screen backdrop, which I imagine it's what it is. I don't share that feeling though, I think it looked great and the fight between IM and Thor afterwards as well. I liked that one a lot.

All in all, "it looks like a TV show" is lazy and outdated criticism. Plenty of TV shows look as good or better than movies nowadays. Looks "cheap" is another one. It might look flat, but the sets are complex and big, and have tons of detail, and it's obvious they were going for sets that looked slick and new for thematic reasons. The production values are there, and the money is there. It had a few missteps, and Whedon maybe isn't the guy with the greatest cinematic eye (Snyder is for example, so it prolongs the comic book wars discussion beyond what is reasonable criticism), but AoU looks much improved.

The cinematography wasn't the problem in Avengers, it was simply the lighting, mainly the scenes on the Helicarrier. Everything is so flourescent and sterile, and it made intricate costumes that look great in the right lighting look super cheap (Thor, Cap)

Exactly. That scene is the most "comic faithful" action scene so far. Literally looks like it jumped off the pages onto film.

it's not my favorite comic book fight, that belongs to The Winter Soldier, but its a glorious scene for sure.

Harmen

To me there is nothing wrong with the original Avengers. It perfectly represents the "feel good and heroes save the day" side of comics and early animated series. I honestly do not really see how they could have pulled it off better than that, aside from cap's suit (which is really a minor thing to me). There are plenty of good shots, the colours fit early comics, the action was awesome and the humor timed neatly. And the acting is good. All heroes are cast perfectly and the chemistry is there, this is something the Marvel Cinematic Universe really excels at (also see GOTG).

Not every superhero movie needs to be gritty with symbolism and thoughtful reflections on society. AoU looks awesome and I love that they slowly move to the more serious side of things, but that is exactly what keeps the series interesting for me, the tone and stakes gradually change. There is plenty of character development present.

.GqueB.

Banned

I always like to tell people that scene almost didn't make it into the movie. Isn't that crazy?

Aaron

some scenes made avengers look like a direct to ABC family movie
True of 99.9% of movies ever made. Even Michael Bay's Transformers movies, despite the giant robots and insane battles, have plain scenes in them. Unless you're watching something like the Fountain, there's bound to be some plain moments.

True of 99.9% of movies ever made. Even Michael Bay's Transformers movies, despite the giant robots and insane battles, have plain scenes in them. Unless you're watching something like the Fountain, there's bound to be some plain moments.

Why would anybody ever watch the Fountain?

inky

Blade's opening and Spiderman 2 train sequence remain the best action sequences in any super hero movie ever.

Different kind of action, but barrel of monkeys scene in IM 3 was fantastic, especially because so much of it was actually done in the air.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Dofp action was great. Awesome interaction and also violent.

I appreciated the brutal deaths. Heroeos never getting hurt is boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom